Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Rodgrsh8scancrpatients
Rookie

Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNYDP View Post
I think there is something wrong with the whole well whoever has more rings is the better player. It's hard to compare because Eli has always had a much better team. As far as clutchness goes, I'm not even sure of that anymore. My big problem is that Peyton has to shoulder the burden for the whole season and every whole playoff game. He didn't have amazing running games or amazing defenses to take the pressure off or make up for his poor play generally. I'd also say that while he has had some great receivers, his receivers never really shouldered the burden and made up for poor play with that many incredible plays. Yes without a doubt Eli has gotten it done in crunch time, but he has not had to shoulder the burden like Peyton. I cannot help but wonder what would happen if you gave Peyton Manning the teams that Eli has played on, a team where he wasn't relied upon so much. I think there is a good chance if that happened he would be just as good if not better than Eli in the clutch. Football is a team sport, the only thing a win or a lose tells us is which team was better, not necessarily who is the better QB.

That being said I think Eli really backed up his statement from the summer. He's an elite QB, and I'd put him right behind Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers in terms of QBs today.
LOL you have rodgers in front of ben?? wow..... that choke artist is not in the top 5.... easy to play that cupcake schedule, we saw what happens when he plays a team where he has to match them score for score.... he fails!! Matt Flynn > Faggy Rodgers.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's not get caught up in the moment. Eli is a top 5 qb in the league right now. Peyton is a top 5 qb of all time.

Big difference.

I love Eli. But he has a long way to go before he's Peyton.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 AM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgrsh8scancrpatients View Post
LOL you have rodgers in front of ben?? wow..... that choke artist is not in the top 5.... easy to play that cupcake schedule, we saw what happens when he plays a team where he has to match them score for score.... he fails!! Matt Flynn > Faggy Rodgers.
LOL, great comedy. I will give you Romo straight up for Rodgers and Flynn can be your starter with Romo your backup.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Let's not get caught up in the moment. Eli is a top 5 qb in the league right now. Peyton is a top 5 qb of all time.

Big difference.

I love Eli. But he has a long way to go before he's Peyton.
Pretty much, Eli might be on Peyton's level right now, and after the injury Eli may even be the better QB going forward, but Peyton's been given the opportunity to lead and carry his team for such a long time and done so at such a remarkable level that Eli just doesn't match up. Now if Eli can add a ring or two while making this season's performance the norm, then one day his resume will compare admirably to his brother's, but for now and the foreseeable future Eli's legacy just doesn't match big brother's.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 AM    (permalink
Rodgrsh8scancrpatients
Rookie

Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
LOL, great comedy. I will give you Romo straight up for Rodgers and Flynn can be your starter with Romo your backup.
i never said romo was better dufus....
Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST View Post
He's not as good, but with so many QB's approaching that discussion all time its time to start comparing them differently.

He might be the calmest/most collected QB in the league. He has absolutely no fear about going onto the road and playing a great team. He does some dumb ass things sometimes, sometimes for an entire season. But he obviously prepares very well and is an excellent leader.
What's more un-nerving: Playing on the road (Foxborough, Lambeau, etc) or playing at home with NY basically watching? If you make a mistake, you're done.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
What's more un-nerving: Playing on the road (Foxborough, Lambeau, etc) or playing at home with NY basically watching? If you make a mistake, you're done.
That's part of why I love Eli, NY is a horrible place to be an athlete, but he's just perfect for it.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I, obviously, still think Peyton is and will be better career wise than Eli. However, if Eli adds a ring or two more to his collection, I think he without a doubt is a Hall of Famer like his big bro.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka View Post
I, obviously, still think Peyton is and will be better career wise than Eli. However, if Eli adds a ring or two more to his collection, I think he without a doubt is a Hall of Famer like his big bro.
I agree, if Eli can add even another ring, I'd put him ahead of his brother based on playoff performance. Stat wise Peyton is king but when you add in playoff performance Eli surpasses him if he can win at least another Super Bowl.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I agree, if Eli can add even another ring, I'd put him ahead of his brother based on playoff performance. Stat wise Peyton is king but when you add in playoff performance Eli surpasses him if he can win at least another Super Bowl.
Here's where you run into the problem where Eli's environment cuts both ways. Yes he doesn't get the opportunity to put up regular season stats the way his brother does, but he also doesn't need to do as much during the course of the season and so has more in the tank for the playoffs and clutch moments. This season is the closest we'll ever get to knowing whether Eli would be able to match Peyton's regular season performance with that greater responsibility and we won't know whether he'd be able to carry his team in the playoffs as well after carrying such a weak team all season. If Eli wins a ring this year your argument has merit because this season Eli has carried the giants the way his brother has carried the colts for years, but even this season it was the D finally getting it's **** together that catapulted the giants into the playoffs and onto this current run.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Here's where you run into the problem where Eli's environment cuts both ways. Yes he doesn't get the opportunity to put up regular season stats the way his brother does, but he also doesn't need to do as much during the course of the season and so has more in the tank for the playoffs and clutch moments. This season is the closest we'll ever get to knowing whether Eli would be able to match Peyton's regular season performance with that greater responsibility and we won't know whether he'd be able to carry his team in the playoffs as well after carrying such a weak team all season. If Eli wins a ring this year your argument has merit because this season Eli has carried the giants the way his brother has carried the colts for years, but even this season it was the D finally getting it's **** together that catapulted the giants into the playoffs and onto this current run.
reminds me a lot of the colts' 07 super bowl win. peyton carried the team all year, then the D came alive late thanks to injured guys coming back and they actually were able to get it done in the playoffs (minus vs NE in the first half).
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey619 View Post
reminds me a lot of the colts' 07 super bowl win. peyton carried the team all year, then the D came alive late thanks to injured guys coming back and they actually were able to get it done in the playoffs (minus vs NE in the first half).
Except Peyton was kind of poor during the playoffs. Poor for him at least.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eli has the ability to play to the level of his brother. The difference is Peyton plays on that level every week.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Eli has the ability to play to the level of his brother. The difference is Peyton plays on that level every week.
Eli has the ability to play the way Peyton does at his best in the biggest moments. That's something Peyton has struggled with.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-17-2012, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Don't forget Manning plays in perfect conditions half of the time every single year. Manning plays half of his games in windy Jersey.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:31 AM    (permalink
deepthoughtlife
Rookie

deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A simple question deserves a simple answer. No. It isn't even close. Peyton Manning is perhaps the greatest QB of all time; Eli has proven to be elite this season, but that is it.

On the note of Superbowls, Tom Brady is a far better QB now than when he was winning Super Bowls, and Eli is far better now than when he won his Superbowl. A Superbowl is a proof of success for the team, but is far less reliable for any specific player.
deepthoughtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:43 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What does Eli have to do get into Canton??
I think five more seasons of this level of play and another SB gets him there.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthoughtlife View Post
A simple question deserves a simple answer. No. It isn't even close. Peyton Manning is perhaps the greatest QB of all time; Eli has proven to be elite this season, but that is it.

On the note of Superbowls, Tom Brady is a far better QB now than when he was winning Super Bowls, and Eli is far better now than when he won his Superbowl. A Superbowl is a proof of success for the team, but is far less reliable for any specific player.

I think a lot of people miss this point.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:06 AM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eli's regular season was a bit of an outlier.

Victor Cruz had 4 plays of 60+ yards. 319 yards with just 4 catches.

Nicks had 3 of his own. And Beckum with 1.

In 2010 Peyton had 1 60+ in 2010.

Eli QB Rating was 1.0 higher this year.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So when Packers' fans supported Brett Favre, we would get bashed by the fact Favre had thrown a ton of INT's. Now Eli has the same problem. His TD/INT ratio is 185/129. The other difference is, has Eli ever led his team. In his first few seasons, it was the run game with Tki that lead the team.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
So when Packers' fans supported Brett Favre, we would get bashed by the fact Favre had thrown a ton of INT's. Now Eli has the same problem. His TD/INT ratio is 185/129. The other difference is, has Eli ever led his team. In his first few seasons, it was the run game with Tki that lead the team.
Are you serious?
Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 AM    (permalink
JetMan01
Rookie

JetMan01 is a cocksman.JetMan01 is a cocksman.JetMan01 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthoughtlife View Post

Not much more needs to be said. I'll only add that Peyton has been a perennial threat throughout his career and truly the model of consistency. Eli, much like the giants, is infamous for being hot and cold. Even this current season he has yet to shake that label. And dont knock consistency as an important quality for a qb. Recently John elway said while talking about tebow "It's just a matter of getting down to where it's consistent, and that's the difference between good quarterbacks and great quarterbacks". Clearly the ability to perform at a high level, for more than one game, for more than one season, for the duration of a career, is increasingly difficult. But good for Eli, he without doubt made Giant strides this year. All he needs to do now is stay there
JetMan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Are you serious?
That's what you call the turd that exposes the troll post.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVisor View Post
Eli's regular season was a bit of an outlier.

Victor Cruz had 4 plays of 60+ yards. 319 yards with just 4 catches.

Nicks had 3 of his own. And Beckum with 1.

In 2010 Peyton had 1 60+ in 2010.

Eli QB Rating was 1.0 higher this year.
2010 Peyton > 2011 Eli. Peyton carried the worst team in the league kicking and screaming to a 10-6 record and set them up for a playoff win. The Giants this year are not a great team by any means but without Eli they would still destroy the Colts without Peyton.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
2010 Peyton > 2011 Eli. Peyton carried the worst team in the league kicking and screaming to a 10-6 record and set them up for a playoff win. The Giants this year are not a great team by any means but without Eli they would still destroy the Colts without Peyton.
I don't see anyway this team wins more than 2 or at best 3 games without Eli.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: