Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:57 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Top of the 2009 Draft...Looking Ugly

Word out of St. Louis is that, unless he takes a massive pay cut, Jason Smith will be released.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...k-in-st-louis/

So, let's take a quick look at the top of that draft class shall we?

1 - Lions - Matt Stafford - Appears to working out

2 - Rams - Jason Smith - Could be cut, playing awful

3 - Chiefs - Tyson Jackson - Adequate starter? Maybe? Two career sacks.

4 - Seahawks - Aaron Curry - Already traded for peanuts

5 - Jets - Mark Sanchez - Good team success, but word is they may look for competition for him. Not a good sign.

6 - Bengals - Andre Smith - Weight/conditioning/injury issues, this year was his best year so far but that isn't saying a lot

7 - Raiders - DHB - This year was also his best so far, and also isn't saying a lot.

8 - Jags - Eugene Monroe - Lots of starts but not the stud you hope for this high in the draft.

While it's not 2005 ugly, there's only one sure-fire good player in there. A couple of adequate starters, two guys who might be turning it around and...uglyness abound.

It's a far cry from this past draft where the entire top 7 are either already studs or are studs in the making.

To me, Curry was the biggest surprise. I can't believe he was bad enough to be traded for some used footballs.

Smith being rumored to be cut isn't that surprising...his play has been awful. He isn't even getting it done after being moved to RT.

Jackson was overdrafted to begin with, and while I realize his primary job as a 3-4 DE isn't to get sacks, only having 2 in 3 years as a top 3 pick still isn't good. It's a case where, while he may not be a bad player, he isn't playing like a top 3 pick should.

It definitely looks like a below average draft crop for that high up.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:23 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This might also be attributed to the # of reaches made and the fact that you should really never draft a 4-3 OLB that high... well rarely (Von Miller) but Curry wasn't the pass rush type.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tyson Jackson "could" end up being a solid starter he flashes at times, but will never ever live up to that pick.

Would be nice to have BJ Raji instead...
Old 01-18-2012, 09:49 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Tyson Jackson "could" end up being a solid starter he flashes at times, but will never ever live up to that pick.

At least it's not like the next 5 guys were complete studs. But if you're going to draft a 3-4 end that high, the guy better be the next Richard Seymour. Or at least Aaron Smith.

Jackson isn't even in the ballpark with those guys.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 AM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still don't know how Jason Smith's stock ******* skyrocketed so high leading up to the draft.

That is a laughably average top 10.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:37 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSavant View Post
I still don't know how Jason Smith's stock ******* skyrocketed so high leading up to the draft.

He was athletic! ATHLETIC!! Look at how his feet move! Oh and hand use!!

Who cares that he played in a conference where defense is outlawed and looks like a TE when handling pass rushers of even average strength.

ATHLETIC!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I had Mike Oher as my #1 OT throughout the entire season. Hooray for being right (Kind of...). I was ecstatic when the Ravens got him.

Smith's stock jumped because people weren't sure if Oher and Smith could play LT, so naturally the value of the hyperathletic Smith, who most definitely had the feet to play the position, increased tremendously. Unfortunately for the Rams, football isn't played in practice shorts and Smith just doesn't have the strength and tenacity to succeed in the NFL. Plus, he was supplanted by Roger Saffold after missing most of his rookie season with injury, and I think people underestimate the impact switching from LT to RT can have on some players, especially if they only have experience at the former.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I had Mike Oher as my #1 OT throughout the entire season. Hooray for being right (Kind of...). I was ecstatic when the Ravens got him.

Smith's stock jumped because people weren't sure if Oher and Smith could play LT, so naturally the value of the hyperathletic Smith, who most definitely had the feet to play the position, increased tremendously. Unfortunately for the Rams, football isn't played in practice shorts and Smith just doesn't have the strength and tenacity to succeed in the NFL. Plus, he was supplanted by Roger Saffold after missing most of his rookie season with injury, and I think people underestimate the impact switching from LT to RT can have on some players, especially if they only have experience at the former.
That's pretty much a less sarcastic explanation of it.

Athleticism and "potential" win at the top of the draft. Smith definitely had the athleticism to be the type of LT who could handle any pass rusher one on one most games.

Unfortunately, he didn't have any of the requisite secondary skills for that position, and he simply wasn't strong enough to handle playing RT.

In m most offensive schemes, the positions require different skillsets.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My thinking at the time re: Smith was: you're essentially getting a very poor man's version of D'Brickashaw Ferguson - who hasn't exactly torn it up or lived up to his draft stock, and has had a ton of trouble playing well down the stretch of a season because he can't keep his weight and strength.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:12 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
My thinking at the time re: Smith was: you're essentially getting a very poor man's version of D'Brickashaw Ferguson - who hasn't exactly torn it up or lived up to his draft stock, and has had a ton of trouble playing well down the stretch of a season because he can't keep his weight and strength.
The rumors with 'Brick are that by late season, he can get down into the 270s.

I know that he definitely doesn't look like the 310 he's listed at.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:12 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I understand the pick on some level. There are some positions in the NFL where you can get by purely on athleticism and with very little technique. WR, DE, CB to an extent (I'm looking at you, Antonio Cromartie...sigh) are all positions where we've seen people succeed despite little technical skill or polish. Hell, we just saw Tebow do it all season at QB, but I'd like to think that's the exception rather then the rule.

Unfortunately for the Rams, LT, and OL by extension, is a position where technique will generally trump talent. As athletic as Smith is, he was very raw as a prospect and his technique and game mentality never progressed to where his skillset should have led him.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I understand the pick on some level. There are some positions in the NFL where you can get by purely on athleticism and with very little technique. WR, DE, CB to an extent (I'm looking at you, Antonio Cromartie...sigh) are all positions where we've seen people succeed despite little technical skill or polish. Hell, we just saw Tebow do it all season at QB, but I'd like to think that's the exception rather then the rule.

Unfortunately for the Rams, LT, and OL by extension, is a position where technique will generally trump talent. As athletic as Smith is, he was very raw as a prospect and his technique and game mentality never progressed to where his skillset should have led him.
Case in point: I think that Duane Brown may be the best overall LT in football right now. He was drafted as a smallish athlete with good potential, but now...god damn. Pass blocking and run blocking, he straight up destroys people. Excellent technician at the position.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:22 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Case in point: I think that Duane Brown may be the best overall LT in football right now. He was drafted as a smallish athlete with good potential, but now...god damn. Pass blocking and run blocking, he straight up destroys people. Excellent technician at the position.
Talk about a player who has turned his career around. How ridiculous was the Duane Brown pick at the time? People thought he was drafted a round too high, and look at him now. He has certainly worked his way into the discussion for the best LT in football. That Houston offensive line in general is just animalistic. I think Arian Foster has brought a bit of anger to that Houston offense, and it's paying huge dividends not just in his play, but in that of his offensive line as well. They played extremely well against us last week, and that's not something easily done. The Ravens have, IMO, one of the best two front 7's in the NFL (Along with San Fran, obviously).
Quote:
Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 AM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post

I was thrilled when reports surfaced that the Chiefs would draft Jackson. Meant that the Packers wouldn't get him at 9 (which I thought would have still been a reach) and Raji or Orakpo were more likely to be there.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Talk about a player who has turned his career around. How ridiculous was the Duane Brown pick at the time? People thought he was drafted a round too high, and look at him now. He has certainly worked his way into the discussion for the best LT in football. That Houston offensive line in general is just animalistic. I think Arian Foster has brought a bit of anger to that Houston offense, and it's paying huge dividends not just in his play, but in that of his offensive line as well. They played extremely well against us last week, and that's not something easily done. The Ravens have, IMO, one of the best two front 7's in the NFL (Along with San Fran, obviously).

They allowed TJ Yates to be touched twice. Not sacked twice. But TOUCHED twice. Protecting a rookie QB (who are usually guilty of holding onto the ball, staring down receivers, not sliding well in the pocket, etc) like that is just absurd.

And Foster is a young Clinton Portis. That one-cut-and-run style fits him perfectly. He plants and then I swear teleports the first 5 yards of his run. His burst is insane and he's all the more dangerous behind that line.

If they play like that with a healthy Matt Schaub next year, I **** you not, they'll probably be my Superbowl favorites.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Profootballtalk.com reports that Rams RT Jason Smith "will be landing on waivers" if he doesn't agree to a dramatic salary reduction for 2012.
A league source tells PFT that Smith has received an "ultimatum" from the Rams. His base salary is a whopping $10 million, and only $1 million of it is guaranteed. Since being the No. 2 overall pick in the 2009 draft, Smith has started only 26 of a possible 48 games. When healthy, Smith has been terrifically poor in pass protection and added very little as a run blocker. Jan. 18 - 11:40 am et
Ouch. Go Rams.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:28 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Ouch. Go Rams.
Trade him in the forum mock while you can. I'll give you a conditional 7th!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
They allowed TJ Yates to be touched twice. Not sacked twice. But TOUCHED twice. Protecting a rookie QB (who are usually guilty of holding onto the ball, staring down receivers, not sliding well in the pocket, etc) like that is just absurd.

And Foster is a young Clinton Portis. That one-cut-and-run style fits him perfectly. He plants and then I swear teleports the first 5 yards of his run. His burst is insane and he's all the more dangerous behind that line.

If they play like that with a healthy Matt Schaub next year, I **** you not, they'll probably be my Superbowl favorites.
Coming into the year, I was absolutely certain that Arian Foster was going to be a ZBS flavour of the week and Ben Tate would have 50% of the carries by midseason. Holy hell was I ever wrong. I'll gladly eat crow if I was wrong about a player, and Arian Foster is one guy I was most definitely wrong about. He runs as hard as anyone in the NFL right now, and that includes AP and MJD, the guys I'd consider the #1 and #2 RBs in the NFL, respectively. Foster would battle Ray Rice for the #3 spot though, most definitely.

Want to hear something crazy though? Ben Tate rushed for 942 yards on 175 carries this year. As a backup.
Quote:
Old 01-18-2012, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jason Smith sucks really? Rams fans were telling me that he was someone you could build around along with their 3rd and 4th WR's.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:55 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
Jason Smith sucks really? Rams fans were telling me that he was someone you could build around along with their 3rd and 4th WR's.
Nothing in that sentence will change under Jeff Fisher, will it?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:56 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
He doesn't suck. He's just always injured.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Nothing in that sentence will change under Jeff Fisher, will it?
IDK we always had a pretty good O-line with Jeff Fisher except the last 2 years our run blocking sucked but pass blocking was good. But that was probably do to Mike Munchak coaching. We see I guess.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:00 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There was so much talent found in the from pick 13 - 32 in 2009. What a great year to trade down ;)

Brian Orakpo
Brian Cushing
Malcolm Jenkins
Josh Freeman
Jeremy Maclin
Brandon Pettigrew
Alex Mack
Percy Harvin
Michael Oher
Vontae Davis
Clay Matthews
Eric Wood
Hakeem Nicks
Kenny Britt
Ziggy Hood
Beanie Wells
Old 01-18-2012, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
He doesn't suck. He's just always injured.
Why did he get benched twice this season? he only played like 8 games this season and got benched twice.I guess he got benched for being awesome.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:02 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
There was so much talent found in the from pick 13 - 32 in 2009. What a great year to trade down ;)

Brian Orakpo
Brian Cushing
Malcolm Jenkins
Josh Freeman
Jeremy Maclin
Brandon Pettigrew
Alex Mack
Percy Harvin
Michael Oher
Vontae Davis
Clay Matthews
Eric Wood