Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:02 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
There was so much talent found in the from pick 13 - 32 in 2009. What a great year to trade down ;)
Or trade for Jay Cutler, as the case may be...

That first year with all the INTs sucked, but considering the protection he gets, his receivers, and his coordinators (Joe Montana would struggle to look good with Ron Turner and Mike Martz,) the success he has had has been nothing short of astonishing
Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
Why did he get benched twice this season? he only played like 8 games this season and got benched twice.I guess he got benched for being awesome.
He was benched because Spags has a man crush on Adam Goldberg, and Jason Smith suffers from Alex Barron Syndrome. Sometimes he needs an ass kicking.

Doesn't help that the Rams Offensive Line coach can't coach up anyone. Just look at Rodger Saffold, man has all the tools to be a franchise Left Tackle, but everyone talks about him moving to Right Tackle, Jason Smith moving to Guard and the Rams selecting Matt Kalil. Like Moving from Left Tackle to Right Tackle is some easy transition. And Smith to Guard is just Laughable, he has two concussions in two years, imagine him inside against 300+ pound Tackles, his head might fall off.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:13 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
He was benched because Spags has a man crush on Adam Goldberg, and Jason Smith suffers from Alex Barron Syndrome. Sometimes he needs an ass kicking.

Doesn't help that the Rams Offensive Line coach can't coach up anyone. Just look at Rodger Saffold, man has all the tools to be a franchise Left Tackle, but everyone talks about him moving to Right Tackle, Jason Smith moving to Guard and the Rams selecting Matt Kalil. Like Moving from Left Tackle to Right Tackle is some easy transition. And Smith to Guard is just Laughable, he has two concussions in two years, imagine him inside against 300+ pound Tackles, his head might fall off.
You absolutely disqualified any logical point you may have been trying to make about Smith not being terrible.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:17 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Or trade for Jay Cutler, as the case may be...

That first year with all the INTs sucked, but considering the protection he gets, his receivers, and his coordinators (Joe Montana would struggle to look good with Ron Turner and Mike Martz,) the success he has had has been nothing short of astonishing
any year you can trade picks to Josh McDaniels for a player is a good day.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:19 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You absolutely disqualified any logical point you may have been trying to make about Smith not being terrible.

Point I was trying to make, I would like to see how these guys do with a real coaching staff. Not a Kermit the Frog "oh nice try buddy, you can do it!" coaching staff.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the bottom of that 1st round is just so much better than the top, jeebus.

and that 2nd round isn't exactly filled with studs either...

however, 5 rutgers players being drafted make it worthwhile
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:28 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Point I was trying to make, I would like to see how these guys do with a real coaching staff. Not a Kermit the Frog "oh nice try buddy, you can do it!" coaching staff.
I don't know if you consider the Dallas coaching staff any better (doubtful,) but Barron was also quite terrible there.

If a guy fails once, it may be because of coaching. Twice...he's probably a lousy player.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Coming into the year, I was absolutely certain that Arian Foster was going to be a ZBS flavour of the week and Ben Tate would have 50% of the carries by midseason. Holy hell was I ever wrong. I'll gladly eat crow if I was wrong about a player, and Arian Foster is one guy I was most definitely wrong about. He runs as hard as anyone in the NFL right now, and that includes AP and MJD, the guys I'd consider the #1 and #2 RBs in the NFL, respectively. Foster would battle Ray Rice for the #3 spot though, most definitely.

Want to hear something crazy though? Ben Tate rushed for 942 yards on 175 carries this year. As a backup.
The first time I saw Ben Tate play at Auburn, I knew he was destined to go to a ZBS team.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:28 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DHB started to look very solid down the line for the Raiders, and I would take him over Crabtree anyday of the week. Also Aaron Curry looked much better with the Raiders, and I think if we move to the 3-4 this off season he could really excell as a ILB/OLB role on our team.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:33 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just glad the Lions took (Jason Smith/Aaron Curry) #1 overall. He has finally given this franchise some stability at (LT/LB). He is one of the main reasons the Lions made the playoffs for the first time since 1999, and actually have a bright future.

Oh wait.. we passed on those two bums. GO STAFFORDDDDDDD!

Old 01-18-2012, 04:26 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't know if you consider the Dallas coaching staff any better (doubtful,) but Barron was also quite terrible there.

If a guy fails once, it may be because of coaching. Twice...he's probably a lousy player.
Alex Barron was something awful and he single handedly cost us the Redskins game a few years ago. When your RT can cost you a game, you know he's bad.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:32 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
I'm just glad the Lions took (Jason Smith/Aaron Curry) #1 overall. He has finally given this franchise some stability at (LT/LB). He is one of the main reasons the Lions made the playoffs for the first time since 1999, and actually have a bright future.

Oh wait.. we passed on those two bums. GO STAFFORDDDDDDD!

Admire the broswag. Matt Stafford and his round face don't give a ****.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:35 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

As long as none of them bump his shoulder, he should be ok.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wanted Raji, and was vexed when took Tyson Jackson. At least we didn't draft Sanchez though.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:19 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basileus777 View Post
I wanted Raji, and was vexed when took Tyson Jackson. At least we didn't draft Sanchez though.
I don't think you'd be THAT much worse off if you did though. I can't see Cassel leading you anywhere that Sanchez couldn't.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:29 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Cassel is the president of the painfully average quarterbacks club.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think you'd be THAT much worse off if you did though. I can't see Cassel leading you anywhere that Sanchez couldn't.
I'll agree with that. But I'd rather have Orton over Sanchez, and he's just a mediocre QB we picked off of the waiver wire, not the 5th pick in the draft. Sanchez's draft status makes him hard to get rid of too.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:25 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Case in point: I think that Duane Brown may be the best overall LT in football right now. He was drafted as a smallish athlete with good potential, but now...god damn. Pass blocking and run blocking, he straight up destroys people. Excellent technician at the position.
he was a huge reach, he was a rotational player at LT because he couldnt play a whole game, then he was a less then marginally servicable starterm and now hes a monster....just awesome to see a player be so bad and turn into being so good
Old 01-18-2012, 10:29 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
the bottom of that 1st round is just so much better than the top, jeebus.

and that 2nd round isn't exactly filled with studs either...

however, 5 rutgers players being drafted make it worthwhile
And that's why scottyboy is one of my favorite posters. I'll be that way if Bama can get 4 or 5 early this year.

Duke Blue Devils
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 View Post
And that's why scottyboy is one of my favorite posters. I'll be that way if Bama can get 4 or 5 early this year.
Tiquan's hightop fade>>>>>
Old 01-18-2012, 10:41 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
As long as none of them bump his shoulder, he should be ok.
He got reamed multiple times this year and missed two snaps all year (and was relieved by Shaun Hill in a blowout twice, but that doesn't really count). So, I don't really think that's valid anymore. Stafford is a top 7 QB and was a great, great pick.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:51 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hah, suck it Rams! So glad we got Tyson Jackson!

brb slitting own wrists :(

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSavant View Post
I still don't know how Jason Smith's stock ******* skyrocketed so high leading up to the draft.

That is a laughably average top 10.
Mike Mayock put in his game tape and started verbally blowing him, even though it was just merely average.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:57 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Athleticism and "potential" win at the top of the draft. Smith definitely had the athleticism to be the type of LT who could handle any pass rusher one on one most games.
There also seems to be an element of randomness to who's stock skyrockets. With the 2009 draft as an example, I still don't see how Aaron Maybin was the 11th overall pick while Connor Barwin went in the 40s. They had almost identical college production (both were one-year wonders, also) and if anything Barwin was more athletic and put up his sack numbers after a move to DE from TE. But for some reason, people chose to ride Aaron Maybin's nuts.

I think that the 20-30 range would have been more appropriate for both players.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:07 AM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still to this day cant believe how Jason Smith turned out. I might not been as high on him as some, but I at least thought he could be a serviceable starter somewhere on the O line.

http://www.change.org/petitions/trac...share_petition
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote