Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:03 AM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The London Rams?

Not sure if people have seen this Stateside, but the BBC over here is reporting that the Rams are going to be one of the participants in the NFL International Series game in London for the next 3 seasons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/amer...l/16635797.stm

Quote:
The St Louis Rams will play one of their regular season home games in the UK in each of the next three years.
They will take on the New England Patriots on 28 October at Wembley.
I think this is a HUGE mistake for the NFL, I just simply don't see many fans abandoning their long held affinity for their current teams to support the Rams, I certainly won't abandon the Colts for them. A lot of the appeal of this game is getting to see DIFFERENT teams each year, as witnessed by the massive variety in jerseys turning up each year. There was a distinct lack of interest in a lot of my friends in this years game with the Bucs coming back, and I can see that continuing.

This seems to be a serious step towards a UK-based franchise, I hope they realise that as a one off the NFL will sell, but for 8 games it just isn't practical for the majorty of fans who travel for a once-a-year event. Especially as it will be competing against multiple soccer teams, rugby teams and so on if here regularly.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:23 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That sucks. At least that game was supposed to be a road game instead of a home game.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:38 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah that sucks for the fans, who want to see different teams. Trying to force the Rams' down UK throats is not the way to build your brand, tNFL.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It also makes sense that it's the Rams because he owns Arsenal as well. I wonder if Fischer had any idea about this happening.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:49 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope one thing comes out of it. They start selling team scarfs like the ones they for futball clubs.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 AM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Rams can also get out of their stadium lease at the RJ Dome after 2014 if they aren't playing in a "state of the art" facility, or have one planned, by then. The EJ dome will have to be renovated or a new stadium planned to ensure the Rams stay in St. Louis.
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:09 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey i get to see the Patriots again. I could care less about the Rams but I agree it's not a good idea by the NFL

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
The Rams can also get out of their stadium lease at the RJ Dome after 2014 if they aren't playing in a "state of the art" facility, or have one planned, by then. The EJ dome will have to be renovated or a new stadium planned to ensure the Rams stay in St. Louis.
That could be why the Rams owner wanted his team to play in London next 3 years. To increase in peoples mind the possibility that the team will move. Hoping the state will pay more for a new stadium.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:36 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3 years in a row? blah that sucks.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They should do this before or after a bye week.

They should spend some time like putting some Arsenal or Liverpool players in pads or having the football players play soccer.
Lil Quip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:20 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
3 years in a row? blah that sucks.
+1 Man, I hate this crap...Although our UK Rams fans are now going to their local pubs to celebrate to the wee hours of the morn...

I just can't believe they expect season ticket holders to pay for all "home" games when one of them will be thousands of miles away on a different continent.

Why couldn't the NFL have just sent the Whiners over to England...and then left them there.
ArkyRamsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wait, so season ticket holders really have to pay for one game that is out of the country that they can't see? Isn't that stealing?

Oh, and I'd be pissed as hell if the 49ers had to travel to London for a home game for the next three seasons. My goodness the NFL is stupid if they think they can have one of the 32 NFL franchises stationed there permanently.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 01-20-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:58 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If there was a London team i would have to make them my second team behind Green Bay but i would never be able to fully support them.

I do know a lot of people ar excited about the Patriots coming to the UK so as long as the away team is popular they shouldnt have a problem selling tickets.

Im thinking, Patriots, Giants and Packers as the next three UK away teams.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:50 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Poor London...
Old 01-20-2012, 04:33 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be pretty annoyed for my team to go over there. It's just a huge distraction. If they wanted to sell the league to other countries most effectively, they'd send Cam Newton over there to play the bucs.

I'm really happy they don't though.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
I hope one thing comes out of it. They start selling team scarfs like the ones they for futball clubs.
I have a 49ers scarf. Granted, it's like 20 years old.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Oh, and I'd be pissed as hell if the 49ers had to travel to London for a home game for the next three seasons. My goodness the NFL is stupid if they think they can have one of the 32 NFL franchises stationed there permanently.
it would likely be east coast teams.

but then again, I didn't think they'd give a team a cross country game on a short week.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:17 PM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyRamsFan View Post
+1 Man, I hate this crap...Although our UK Rams fans are now going to their local pubs to celebrate to the wee hours of the morn...
All 10 of us in different pubs I assume? ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop
Poor London...
I'm going to do my bit for the public and make sure anyone who hasn't decided which team to support realises what a ******* nightmare it'll likely be if they choose the Rams.

The selfish part of me is quite happy, my head is telling me I'm about to piss away an awful lot of money and likely have a 6 hour drive home ******* angry at watching yet another incompetent display. I live in hope Fisher can have a Harbaugh like turn around.
Beano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:10 AM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Wait, so season ticket holders really have to pay for one game that is out of the country that they can't see? Isn't that stealing?
They will only pay for the 7 regular season games, not 8. Season ticket holders do get a chance though to buy tickets separately for the London game. I have been to 3 of the Wembley games and have met Tampa Bay and New Orleans season-ticket holders who went to the game as part of a London/European vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
If there was a London team i would have to make them my second team behind Green Bay but i would never be able to fully support them.

I do know a lot of people ar excited about the Patriots coming to the UK so as long as the away team is popular they shouldnt have a problem selling tickets.

Im thinking, Patriots, Giants and Packers as the next three UK away teams.
I live 10 miles from Wembley but the whole London franchise idea is ridiculous and the vast majority of NFL fans here in the UK are vehemently against it. We have our teams, as can be seen every year with all 32 team jerseys represented in the crowd, and won't be changing allegiance. That's before you start looking at the vast logistical problems to overcome too.

As for possible future opponents: I've had a look at the Rams home schedule for non-divisional opponents in 2013 and 2014.

New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Jacksonville
Tennessee
NFC North

The Saints were here in 2008 as a home team and would ensure a sellout imo with their high powered offense. That was by far the best game so far of the Intl Series when they beat the Chargers. Tampa Bay have stunk here twice and we never want to see them again. Jacksonville...ugh. Blaine Gabbert (if he's still the starter) would empty the stadium by half-time and kill the NFL in Britain forever. Tennessee don't have much of a following here so I'd say the Saints or an NFC team (Bears/Vikings?) would be favourites.

Dallas
NY Giants
Oakland
Denver
NFC North

Much better choice. All 4 teams are very popular here from the 1980s when the NFL first became very popular in Britain. The NY Giants and Denver have both been to London before as the 'away' team. Dallas and Oakland are two of the top 5-6 supported teams in the UK and would ensure a sellout. Neutrals would certainly get behind the Rams for Dallas or Oakland - you either love em or hate em.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:49 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure London is a great city; one of the best in the world, no doubt. With that said, American players aren't going to want to play for a London-based team. The team would be average at best, fans wouldn't support it, and it would last about as long as the NBA team in Vancouver.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I bet this is a power play for a new stadium.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I bet this is a power play for a new stadium.
Agreed. Kroenke is definitely sending a message/warning to the city of St Louis. By the end of 2014 Silent Stan could pull the trigger on the 'get-out' clause in their contract with the RJD.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure London is a great city; one of the best in the world, no doubt. With that said, American players aren't going to want to play for a London-based team. The team would be average at best, fans wouldn't support it, and it would last about as long as the NBA team in Vancouver.
Yeah, why would American players want to play for a team in one of the greatest cities on earth, they would much rather play in Green Bay, Minny, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and in the Caroline's among others. Those cities have so much to offer for players????

What could a cosmopolitan city like London have to offer?

60-80 million potential fans and a lot more if you include other parts of Europe, they would hardly gross any extra revenue to help make the team competitive selling shirts, advertisements etc. etc.

Yeah, selling out 8 games a year is going to be really tough(London probably has as many millionaires as New York City and just as many major businesses) and how long would it take for the country's fans to become loyal over time?

I think the NFL has done its homework and knows just what it will take to make a London franchise successful and if it is successful, it would potentially double the league's revenue, so it is going to happen, just not sure that the Rams will be the team in the end.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Imagine the exchange rates and issues there would be if they had a team in London. Players cost of living there is insane compared to the USA due to cap and trade and other methods of taxation. It would be interesting as London is one of the most amazing cities in the world. I love visiting there but it is so very expensive.

I see toronto and Mexico City becoming the first international teams prior to London but I could see Berlin and London someday.
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:36 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who gives a s*** about all the boring stuff. A London franchise would be great and would attract a lot of interest in to sport over here.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote