Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default BeerBaron's Conference Championship Thoughts

Well, it's depressing to think that we're down to our last meaningful football game of the season. I swear it comes and goes far too fast...but let's not dwell on that now, we have a lot to discuss. (Or, as yanksknicks puts it, my "long winded drivel." A charmer, that one.)

1.) Ravens/Pats

It may not have been by two scores, but the Patriots managed to eek this one out.

The Ravens seemed to do most things right on the day. As predicted, the Pats threw out the kitchen sink to stop the run game and were fairly successful (Rice and Williams avereaged 3.2 and 3.7 YPC respectively.) The Pats dared Flacco to beat them and he very nearly did, outplaying Brady by quite a large margin.

The Ravens won the TOP battle, the turnover battle, and kept their pass/run ratio somewhat reasonable. It wasn't even Flacco or Cam Cameron's fault that they lost, as I predicted.

But as I'll be the first to tell you, the ugliest win is better than the grandest of losses, and the Pats are riding this ugly win into the Superbowl. Brady was off, badly, for most of the game. He, like Aaron Rodgers last week, missed on throws he made all season (see the early missed TD pass to Gronk.)

The Pats run game really helped out though. BGE averaged 4.5 YPC and came up with some crucial runs in key spots. Gronk came up big again even on a bad ankle.

And then there's the defense. Their goal was to shut down the run and make Joe Flacco beat them. They succeeded in this goal, if just barely. Wilfork was a monster and showed why he is a top 3 DT in football. He moves so well for such a big guy that I can't help but watch in amazement at what he does. The secondary was pretty much gashed at every turn, which was to be expected I guess.

But the biggest plays of the day were two of the last ones. Sterling Moore broke up the Lee Evans would-be TD catch at the last possible nanosecond and then Cundiff made one of the worst 3 playoff FG mistakes ever. (Right up there with Norwood and Gary Anderson.) He just badly shanked what I would consider an easily makeable FG.

It was ugly...FUGLY even, but the Pats are going to the Superbowl and the Ravens are not.

2.) Giants/49ers

This was some classic, awesome defensive football for most of the game. Two teams slugging it out in the elements...beautiful...just beautiful. An overtime game to decide who moves onto the Superbowl? Can you really ask for more as a fan?

I think the Giants even beat the 49ers at their own game a little in this one. The Giants dominated the TOP battle (39 minutes to 29) and controlled the ball well. (90 offensive plays for the Giants vs. 57 for the 49ers.)

Eli was also the better, more perseverant QB on the field. Smith's accuracy was below 50% and at some points, appeared to have McNabb-esque accuracy, throwing passes in the dirt.

The 49ers WRs didn't help Smith much either. Crabtree was the only 49er receiver to catch a ball, and he caught exactly one. The 49ers had no outside passing game to spread out the Giants defense.

The 49ers also got away from the run game a little too much for my liking, as they were averaging 5.4 YPC on the day. (A little of that was Smith scrambling, but they still would have been over 5 even if you don't count that.) On a rainy day where your receivers didn't show up, running the ball should have been your best friend.

Now the Giants head to the Superbowl in a matchup they have to LOVE. Their defense is peaking at the right time and I think it matches up well with the Pats offense. The pass rush should terrorize Brady and having an athletic LB like Boley will lend itself well to keeping the Pats TEs in check.

The Giants offense should also have a field day against the Patriots defensive backfield. If Joe Flacco can pick them apart, Eli throwing to Cruz, Nicks and Manningham should have a great day.

I like the Giants by a TD in the Superbowl.

3.) Treat Overtime like the Start of a New Game

This is something that seems to affect all teams and always bothers me. Typically, in a game that reaches overtime, one or both teams just spent the 4th quarter trying desperately to score and/or killing the clock depending on the situation.

Then, once overtime comes, they stay in that "mode." The 49ers in particular seemed to stick with that same sense of urgency, and on their only OT possession went incomplete pass, run for a loss, pass short of the first down. And they wouldn't touch the ball again.

I think that once a game goes to OT, the coaches need to take a deep breath and treat it as if they're going into a whole new ball game. Wipe away the mindset you were in to end the 4th quarter and get back to the basics. The 49ers still seemed to have a sense of urgency about them and got away from what they did all year that made them such a great team.

4.) Special Teams Really is a Third of the Game

So what is one thing we learned this weekend? We watched two games between evenly matched teams go right down to the wire, or even into OT.

And in both games, the losing team's killer mistake came on special teams.

A lot of people brush off special teams as an afterthought. A lot of teams use their scrubby bench players while settling for fair catches and touchbacks.

But, in just about every game, something happens on special teams that affects the outcome. Sometimes it's not always so drastic as a fumbled punt or missed FG at the end of the game. Sometimes it's simply a good return or a punt that pins a team deep. But it always has an outcome in games.

Even beyond this week's extreme examples, you can look back at the Chargers of last year. First in offense, first in defense...horrible special teams and no playoffs. Before that, for years, the Colts special teams were typically miserable. Vanderjagt cost them games, they allowed big returns and very rarely ever made good returns of their own.

Of course, everyone will point to the Cundiff missed FG and Williams fumbled punt as the causes of the losses in these games, and those were definitely the final daggers. But the rest of the team allowed the game to come down to those situations.

5.) "Lucky" Teams

A lot of people (read: morons) have been spouting off about how the Pats and Giants are soooo "lucky" to get to where they are. They get all of the lucky matchups and lucky bounces and opponents do things against them like miss FGs and fumble punts...

STOP IT. Just ******* shut your god damn mouth.

Now, luck plays a huge part in football. More so than any other major sport because there are just so many more variables. A fumbled ball could bounce a thousand different directions...sometimes it goes to the other team and sometimes it bounces straight back into the gut of the offensive player. It could be a huge momentum swing either way.

But no team, anywhere, EVER, has EVER, played in or won a Superbowl based on luck alone. It has never, ever, ever, ever happened.

No matter how "lucky" one team might get, you absolutely must have the skill to take advantage of it.

Last week, the Texans and Saints both handed their opponents multiple turnovers yet were still in the game until the final possession. The Patriots this week LOST the turnover battle with the Ravens, yet held on to win.

Luck will always play a part in football, and maybe you can even stumble your way into a win here or there with it. But to beat two or three straight opponents of your conference's best teams to get to the Superbowl, you need FAR more than simple luck.

6.) Illegal Contact should NOT be an Automatic First Down

The 49ers got an automatic first down on 3rd and 19 because of illegal contact this week. **** that noise.

Revamp the rule to make it more like an offsides. 5 yards and a free play. We went the first..what...80 years? of NFL history without this rule being a problem and because of Bill ******* Polian, this rule exists.

I hope he dies in horrific fashion and that the rule gets adjusted so it's not so crippling to defenses.

7.) Hairtrigger Whistles on Forward Progress

Speaking of rules, this is another annoying one. Refs are so freaking quick to blow the whistle when they believe forward progress has been stopped.

For whatever reason, it seems like as long as the runner is churning, the refs let the play keep going. UNLESS he fumbles. Then it's immediate whistle and claims that the runner's forward progress was stopped.

I've seen plenty of instances where a runner keeps chugging, breaks the tackle and then runs for some more yardage. Why aren't those blown dead as quickly as they are if the ball is fumbled?

I think it's just more bias towards the offense from the NFL. If you want to make it fair, blow the whistle the moment the runner stops going forward if he's in an opponent's grasp.

8.) Rushing Three NEVER Works

Perhaps second only to the prevent defense in my mind in terms of hatred, is the three man rush by the defense.

My eye starts to twitch and the rage inside me builds whenever I see it...IT NEVER WORKS. It seems like so many teams are guilty of this...the Ravens and Patriots both had plenty of instances on Sunday where they simply allowed the QB to take all the time in the world as they rushed only 3. And the Giants for the first 14 or so weeks of the season seemed to just LOVE rushing three. It's no surprise to me, then, that they've gotten immensely better since adopting a more aggressive style of defense since then.

With the possible exception of Tim Tebow and maybe Blaine Gabbert, if you let ANY QB currently on a roster in the NFL have all the time he wants in the pocket, HE WILL BEAT YOU. I don't care that you've dropped 8 guys into coverage, even an average QB with plenty of time to throw will find an open guy eventually.

It never works, but I know why defensive coordinators call it. If they call for a big blitz and get burned, well that looks bad on them. But if they call a 3 man rush and drop everyone, he can put that blame on his team. He put them in a great position to cover everyone and the players failed.

Regardless, this is the worst tactic in football. In today's game with so many great QBs, you have to pressure them. I don't are if you have 4 clones of Darrelle Revis back there, they are only going to be able to cover for so long if the QB is allowed extended time in the pocket to find a receiver.

That's all I have right this second.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want to be at your DC HOF induction

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:09 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate rushing 3. Especially for the Patriots because their secondary has no conception on how to cover an opponent no matter how many players they have on the field. When you send 3 guys it essentially guarantees a clean pocket for the QB because they can force the ends to the outside and can prevent any semblance of interior pressure by doubling or triple teaming the nose.

If you give any decent QB time and a clean pocket to step up in there will be a pinpoint accuracy throw to an area of the field where only the receiver will have a shot to get it. It's entirely the reason why teams convert on the Pats every 3rd in long situation because the WR can shield himself from the defensive back and the QB puts it right along the sideline for a clear completion. The defensive backs have to play looser coverage because they know with a 3 man rush there will be time for deep routes to develop, so in areas where they would suspect the ball would be going (by the sticks) they can't play as instinctively.

When you blitz, there is always the potential for a big play, but I'd rather have that than giving the offense time to develop any play to any spot they want.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:10 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rushing three does work sometimes. It worked for the Pats early and often yesterday.

Generally, the defenses this postseason have not been aggressive. In today's NFL, receivers 1-on-1 with DBs is easy money for QBs, so DCs aren't blitzing much. There's just too much risk giving up huge plays if the OL/backs pick up the blitz...

I don't think it's as simple as 'NEVER rush three' or 'ALWAYS blitz'. The key is to mix things up and keep the offense guessing and off-balance so rushing three is sometimes a good move - ESPECIALLY against statue QBs like Brady/Flacco/Eli. On a play-by-play basis, an overly aggressive defense will leave you with too many 1-on-1 matchups - all of which give a HUGE advantage to the O. The upside for the defense is a sack (maybe turnover), or incompletion. The risk is giving up a touchdown. And the latter is more likely because all good offenses are solid with protections and hots - especially those with veteran QBs like the ones we've seen in these playoffs.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It was ugly...FUGLY even
That's my favorite line of the day.

I pretty much agree completely with what you had said. I agree with the not blowing the whistle unless the receiver/running back fumbles. The Pats/Ravens had a couple ridiculous plays where I was screaming, "Blow the Whistle!"

I do disagree on Cam Cameron not losing the game. I completely hate his play calling late in the 4th quarter. 3rd down delayed draw into the pass rush? Terrible. Worst possible play call. The team was so bewildered that it failed to show up on 4th down, which was another horrible call. Streaking your outside receivers to clear out Boldin and TEs for out routes? Terrible idea. Your slowest guys are now counted on getting separation on such obvious routes. No kidding they weren't open.

Fully agree on "rushing 3" never working. I thought Manning proved that years ago against Jacksonville and such. QBs are like 70% with insane Ratings vs that non-existent pass rushing front. DBs can't cover all day. That defense only works against terrible QBs, and those are the ones that should be pressured anyway. The only way to beat good QBs is to disrupt the receiver's routes and throw off the timing. I thought Belichick showed everyone that years ago. Play 1 deep, press man underneath, and blitz overload or stunt or anything besides just 3 man rush.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
http://isportsweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/molk.jpg

Generally, the defenses this postseason have not been aggressive. In today's NFL, receivers 1-on-1 with DBs is easy money for QBs, so DCs aren't blitzing much. There's just too much risk giving up huge plays if the OL/backs pick up the blitz...

I don't think it's as simple as 'NEVER rush three' or 'ALWAYS blitz'. The key is to mix things up and keep the offense guessing and off-balance so rushing three is sometimes a good move - ESPECIALLY against statue QBs like Brady/Flacco/Eli. On a play-by-play basis, an overly aggressive defense will leave you with too many 1-on-1 matchups - all of which give a HUGE advantage to the O. The upside for the defense is a sack (maybe turnover), or incompletion. The risk is giving up a touchdown. And the latter is more likely because all good offenses are solid with protections and hots - especially those with veteran QBs like the ones we've seen in these playoffs.
What the hell are you talking about?

First, it absolutely did NOT work for the Pats yesterday, hardly at all. Flacco gashed the everloving bejeesus out of their secondary. The times where they got the best pressure were when Wilfork simply won against his blocker and drove straight into the backfield.

I don't even...the 2nd part...what the hell league are you watching? Apparently not the offensively skewed one with QBs setting records every one week that I am.

I don't even...what...I...what? What?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm talking about how I've noticed DCs aren't blitzing much during these playoffs.

And the reason for that is that it's very risky to blitz against these prolific offensive attacks.

And I think rushing three and having eight back in coverage is a useful defensive look that can be successful. I've noticed it work a lot this postseason but it's only brought up when it DOESN'T WORK because no one remembers incompletions and 2-yard rushes by QBs. People remember big offensive plays.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

It's risky to blitz, I'm not in favor of sending 8 guys every other play.

But you rush more than 3. I would go through my DC's playbook and remove all of the plays that have him sending fewer than 4 rushers.

The Giants, all season long, much to my and Giant's fans frustration, went with 3 man rushes on defense on 90% of the plays and had a 7-7 mark to show for it.

Then Fewell got more aggressive, rarely sending fewer than 4, and the Giants have won every game since with some great defensive performances along the way.

You cannot give an NFL QB the kind of time a 3 man rush affords him. He will pick you apart, as Flacco did the Patriots yesterday.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Posted this on the team forum but I'll post it here too

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...urn=nfl,wp1351

Quote:
Is this my last game as a Raven? Absolutely not

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:29 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
Posted this on the team forum but I'll post it here too

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...urn=nfl,wp1351
I didn't even touch upon that. Outside of Lewis and Reed, it's not like anyone else on the team is getting old or anything.

If they find a more competent coordinator that Cameron and maybe upgrade a few spots (a better LB to partner with/replace Ray, another pass rusher besides Suggs) they'll be in good shape to make another run next year.

Year 2 of Torrey Smith, still have Ray Rice, hopefully the new OC will use those TEs more intelligently, etc.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The three-man rush has its place among defensive strategies. The problem is itís used far too much at this point. It should never be a core belief or be featured in a defensive game plan though. Passing and protection schemes have become too advanced for that nonsense. And one mistake in zone depth or spacing blows it. But variation is an integral part of smart defensive football. When defenses fall into a pattern, offenses figure them out and counter with calls that are designed to capitalize on recognized tendencies. So whether teams rush three or send blitzes on a snap-to-snap basis, quarterbacks will adjust and audible into one of their pre-set calls for beating said concept. In that regard, dialing up three-man rushes serves its purpose in remaining unpredictable.

Now, I often disagree with how the three-man rush is incorporated into the game plan. Itís not creative. Thereís no effort invested in disguising it. Too often, itís just a four-man front with an athletic defensive end dropping into a short zone. Thatís not enough. Show an exotic blitz look pre-snap and then rush three. Give offenses a specific indicator (from a frequent pressure formation) and then rush three. Bring a pair of linebackers and leave two linemen to cover underneath. Throw in a line slant or stunt. Just be multiple. Belichick utilized the three-man rush with success in the middle part of the last decade. But it was predicated on feigning something else and then rushing three. It was never the base shell.

As for the Patriotsí use of the three-man rush against the Ravens, itís borne out of need more than desire, Iím sure. Belichick knows he has a back end that he canít trust between the twenties, so he oversees a bend-but-donít-break defense. This approach is exemplified in their red zone defense. When the field gets shorter, the zones cover more area and leave quarterbacks with tight windows that require stick throws. Eight defenders in coverage behind a two-gap line can be effective on a short field.

Overall though, itís far too plain and prevalent in the modern NFL.
Cudders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:54 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I didn't even touch upon that. Outside of Lewis and Reed, it's not like anyone else on the team is getting old or anything.

If they find a more competent coordinator that Cameron and maybe upgrade a few spots (a better LB to partner with/replace Ray, another pass rusher besides Suggs) they'll be in good shape to make another run next year.

Year 2 of Torrey Smith, still have Ray Rice, hopefully the new OC will use those TEs more intelligently, etc.
It's sad when outside fans have more faith then some of the actual fans.

I really felt like this was our year. I was supremely disappointed in the way the 4th quarter went yesterday. As well as Flacco played at times, he had 3 opportunities to win that game. Yes the Lee Evans drop was pathetic, the Billy Cundiff miss should cost him his job (it won't, btw), but if Flacco doesn't throw that painfully terrible INT to Brandon Spikes with 6 odd minutes left, it's a moot point anyways. Three times the Patriots gave our offense the chance to tie/win that game, and three times we put up exactly zero points. I don't know where to head from here, but I'm honestly dejected after yesterday's loss. I feel like if we were going to the show, it was this season. Another year on Ray and Ed's career isn't doing our team any favors and with no immediate fixes to the huge issues we have at numerous positions (OL, WR, ILB, OLB, CB, S), I question whether we'll have the same sort of run next year. Pretty disheartening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:00 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i just wanted to point out that on returns the giants played it safer at the end of the 49er game sending the more sure handed, yet much less explosive, Aaron Ross back to field punts, along with sending Rolle back there just in case. Hell, Ross would run forward 5 yards and fall down/dive and I was perfectly content with that
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:04 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudders View Post
The three-man rush has its place among defensive strategies. The problem is itís used far too much at this point. It should never be a core belief or be featured in a defensive game plan though. Passing and protection schemes have become too advanced for that nonsense. And one mistake in zone depth or spacing blows it. But variation is an integral part of smart defensive football. When defenses fall into a pattern, offenses figure them out and counter with calls that are designed to capitalize on recognized tendencies. So whether teams rush three or send blitzes on a snap-to-snap basis, quarterbacks will adjust and audible into one of their pre-set calls for beating said concept. In that regard, dialing up three-man rushes serves its purpose in remaining unpredictable.

Now, I often disagree with how the three-man rush is incorporated into the game plan. Itís not creative. Thereís no effort invested in disguising it. Too often, itís just a four-man front with an athletic defensive end dropping into a short zone. Thatís not enough. Show an exotic blitz look pre-snap and then rush three. Give offenses a specific indicator (from a frequent pressure formation) and then rush three. Bring a pair of linebackers and leave two linemen to cover underneath. Throw in a line slant or stunt. Just be multiple. Belichick utilized the three-man rush with success in the middle part of the last decade. But it was predicated on feigning something else and then rushing three. It was never the base shell.

As for the Patriotsí use of the three-man rush against the Ravens, itís borne out of need more than desire, Iím sure. Belichick knows he has a back end that he canít trust between the twenties, so he oversees a bend-but-donít-break defense. This approach is exemplified in their red zone defense. When the field gets shorter, the zones cover more area and leave quarterbacks with tight windows that require stick throws. Eight defenders in coverage behind a two-gap line can be effective on a short field.

Overall though, itís far too plain and prevalent in the modern NFL.
Alright I guess, I can buy that.

But it's still as you say, grossly overused and with very little deception. If you at least fake like you're going to bring 5 or 6 guys, the opposing team may adjust it's protection and keep a TE or back in to block, removing one of their receiving threats.

I would still draw the line at 4 pass rushers. One NT type who requires two blockers and then, everyone else gets a one on one matchup unless the offense keeps guys in to block (which, again, would mean one less guy to cover.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
It's sad when outside fans have more faith then some of the actual fans.

I really felt like this was our year. I was supremely disappointed in the way the 4th quarter went yesterday. As well as Flacco played at times, he had 3 opportunities to win that game. Yes the Lee Evans drop was pathetic, the Billy Cundiff miss should cost him his job (it won't, btw), but if Flacco doesn't throw that painfully terrible INT to Brandon Spikes with 6 odd minutes left, it's a moot point anyways. Three times the Patriots gave our offense the chance to tie/win that game, and three times we put up exactly zero points. I don't know where to head from here, but I'm honestly dejected after yesterday's loss. I feel like if we were going to the show, it was this season. Another year on Ray and Ed's career isn't doing our team any favors and with no immediate fixes to the huge issues we have at numerous positions (OL, WR, ILB, OLB, CB, S), I question whether we'll have the same sort of run next year. Pretty disheartening.
You're more pessimistic after the loss. Would you rather be in the Steelers position? I've read that they're going be something like $25 million over the cap and mainstays like Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, James Farrior, Larry Foote, etc. May all be cut.

The AFC as a whole seems to be sloping downwards overall. The Pats made the Superbowl, but this might be the weakest team they've made any of their Superbowls with. The Steelers are going to be at least partly rebuilding needing a new OC and will be entering a youth movement on defense. The Colts hit rock bottom and aren't likely to have a fast recovery. The AFC West is a mess.

Teams on the rise? Texans and Bengals?

The Ravens aren't in a bad position really. Enter the Mario Williams sweepstakes, or at least go after Robert Mathis. Another pass rusher to help Suggs would be nice.

And draft a Burfict or Kuechly high. Get a running mate for Ray Lewis who can double as his eventual replacement.

I don't think the Ravens are in as bad of shape as you make them out to be.

Plus, for ***** sake, Cam Cameron is going to be gone! Rejoice!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That Giants/49ers game was probably the most physical Giants game I've seen since the 1990 NFCCG for my Giants. It really was a bloodbath like Canty predicted.

Fewell has turned our defense around by 1 simple adjustment. He's running man coverage for the majority of the game. He's still not blitzing at all, we probably blitzed Smith 3 maybe 4 times all night. But simply adjusting to man coverage has made all the difference in the world.

It's really sad when you think about it. Why did it take so damn long to realize this can be a dominant defense when it's allowed to play man coverage? Can you imagine how much better it could be if we threw in some blitzes to go with it?

So frustrating.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
That Giants/49ers game was probably the most physical Giants game I've seen since the 1990 NFCCG for my Giants. It really was a bloodbath like Canty predicted.

Fewell has turned our defense around by 1 simple adjustment. He's running man coverage for the majority of the game. He's still not blitzing at all, we probably blitzed Smith 3 maybe 4 times all night. But simply adjusting to man coverage has made all the difference in the world.

It's really sad when you think about it. Why did it take so damn long to realize this can be a dominant defense when it's allowed to play man coverage? Can you imagine how much better it could be if we threw in some blitzes to go with it?

So frustrating.
Again, I'm not advocating big blitzing. It was the rushing 3 and playing zone that killed you. Now, it appears that you rarely rush fewer than 4 with man coverage.

Rarely does a mere scheme change lead to such automatic success, but god damn, if you did this all year you would have given the Packers and 49ers a run for the playoff bye week.

Not that you've needed it.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fewell was just teasing us all year. He didn't want these teams to get tape on the real scheme he was waiting to use.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:41 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Fewell was just teasing us all year. He didn't want these teams to get tape on the real scheme he was waiting to use.
It's ok, your new defense will do nothing against our secret weapon we've been hiding all year.... Ocho! His breakout game is coming... SIGH
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:42 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
It's ok, your new defense will do nothing against our secret weapon we've been hiding all year.... Ocho! His breakout game is coming... SIGH
I think the better thing to hope for is that Gronk actually comes back stronger from injury, to almost superhuman levels. His ankle will now have the strength of 10 men.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
What's sad is this actually makes sense for explaining what we've seen.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:45 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
What's sad is this actually makes sense for explaining what we've seen.
He waited too long. I mean...taking a page out of yanksknicks insane troll playbook...had Romo only hit Miles Austin...o_O
Old 01-23-2012, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He waited too long. I mean...taking a page out of yanksknicks insane troll playbook...had Romo only hit Miles Austin...o_O
Well it is a ****** plan, regardless of if it works or not.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fewell not blitzing much still is a misconception by blitz happy fans. Boley has been rushing the passer a lot in the past two games. More than any linebacker the Giants have had since Kawika Mitchell for sure.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:34 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

just an observation I had about the games:

If Ted Ginn Jr. was healthy, the Niners wouldn't have lost the way they did. Who would've thought a backup return man would've been the x-factor in that game? The Ravens go to OT if Cundiff makes a chipshot field goal. I think special teams is still a very underrated aspect of the game and when people analyze who will win football games, they often overlook the third, oft forgotten part of football.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:35 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Again, I'm not advocating big blitzing. It was the rushing 3 and playing zone that killed you. Now, it appears that you rarely rush fewer than 4 with man coverage.

Rarely does a mere scheme change lead to such automatic success, but god damn, if you did this all year you would have given the Packers and 49ers a run for the playoff bye week.

Not that you've needed it.
If you can run press-man behind that D-line, there's really no reason to send anything more than a 1-man pop.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote