Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 02-16-2014, 08:52 PM    (permalink
dolfan75071
Rookie

dolfan75071 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Miami Dolphins Draft and FA possibilities

Pre-Combine and pre-decisions made about the Well's report. Here are some FA and Draft scenarios. Scenario #1, #2 and #3 The Miami Dolphins probably do tons of these throughout this draft process. To be honest no one has any idea how this will go down until they get to their pick. The Dolphins may have some idea but won't really know 100% til it's time.

Free Agency

Salary CAP space to start 32.5 Million approx. We could use more space for this offseason and need to do 1 of the 3 with some players.
Re-negotiate salary
Cut
Trade

Matt Moore may be a prime candidate for 1 of the 3 above. His cap hit is 5.5 mil, 1.5 mil if cut and 0 if traded.
Mike Wallace, re-negotiate. Cap hit is $17,250,000.00.
Dannell Ellerbe, re-negotiate Cap hit is $7,425,000.00.
Philip Wheeler, re-negotiate Cap hit is $6,400,000.00.
Brian Hartline, re-negotiate Cap hit is $6,210,000.00
D. Patterson, Cap hit is $5,400,000.00 and $0 dead cap money if cut. He could be re-negotiated or cut and I would seriously consider the cutting or trading him since we have Davis and Taylor up and coming.

While I am not sure any of those guys above are willing to re-negotiate they would be approached about it. BUT just between Moore and Patterson that is another 10 mil in cap space.

Trade J.Martin Save 1 mil cap space, if released we lose 900K cap/dead space. I would take a 7th. or a league minimum practice squad player that would cost 0 if released.

With the above in mind here are my 3 scenarios.

Scenario #1
Sign big ticket LT Brandon Albert, sign Grimes and Soliai or Starks. I would say Soliai so that the flexability to move to a 3-4 is possible. Resign Keller to another 1 yr.

Draft,
1st round = Kelvin Benjamin - This kid is big fast and has very good body control to go up and make those big catches. There is way too much upside on this guy to pass up. He's on a redshirted Sophmore so has a whole lot of room to grow. IMO we go with a big WR due to the fact he gives us a better chance to score more points in the red zone and overall. Last year I believe we still vaeraged less than 20 points a game. We need people that help us score points. Benjamin gives us just that.

2nd round, Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington
3rd round, Martavis Bryant WR Clemson
4th round, Andre Williams RB Boston College
5th round, Deandre Coleman DT California
6th round, Kenarious Gates OT Georgia - Could move inside to OG.
7th round, Mason Walters OG Texas

Scenario #2
We sign Alex Mack from the Browns and sign Grimes and Soliai or Starks. I would say Soliai so that the flexability to move to a 3-4 is possible. Resign Keller to another 1 yr.

Draft,
We trade with Cleveland our 19th pick and Pouncey to move to the 4th spot in the draft. With the 4th pick in the draft Miami selects Greg Robinson OT Auburn. The first three picks were Bortles, Clowney and Bridgewater in that order and Cleveland didn't get Bridgewater so they opted to trade back to 19th thinking Carr will still be there.

Robinson is arguably the best LT in this draft.

2nd round the Miami Dolphins take, Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington
3rd round the Miami dolphins take, Martavis Bryant WR Clemson
4th round the Miami Dolphins take, Andre Williams RB Boston College
5th round the Miami Dolphins Take, Deandre Coleman DT California
6th round the Miami Dolphins Take, Kenarious Gates OT Georgia - Could move inside to OG.
7th round the Miami Dolphins Take, Mason Walters OG Texas

Scenario #3
Sign big ticket LT Brandon Albert, we also sign Alex Mack from the Browns and sign Grimes and Soliai or Starks. I would say Soliai so that the flexability to move to a 3-4 is possible. Resign Keller to another 1 yr.

Draft,
We trade with Cleveland our 19th pick and Pouncey to move to the 4th spot in the draft. If the Brown's lose Mack to Miami or any other team they will need interior Oline pretty bad. With the 4th pick in the draft Miami selects Sammy Watkins - That's right, we get the best WR in the draft. This gives THill 1 of the best WR lineups in the league. No excuses next season.

2nd round the Miami Dolphins take, Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington
3rd round the Miami dolphins take, Martavis Bryant WR Clemson
4th round the Miami Dolphins take, Andre Williams RB Boston College
5th round the Miami Dolphins Take, Deandre Coleman DT California
6th round the Miami Dolphins Take, Kenarious Gates OT Georgia - Could move inside to OG.
7th round the Miami Dolphins Take, Mason Walters OG Texas

Like I said there are all kinds of possibilities out there. If Miami is to stay put they could take Antonio Richardson, Zack Martin, Benjamin, Dee Ford, Amaro, Ebron or Clinton-Dix. There are a multitude of ways to go.

The Cleveland trade is nothing I've read it is just something I thought about. I know Miami has other needs but this draft is heavy offensively so I played the drafts strengths.

What do you folks think?
dolfan75071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:49 PM    (permalink
dolfan75071
Rookie

Mack got tagged by the Browns today so my Mack daddy theory is out.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:03 PM    (permalink
dolfan75071
Rookie

Cool

Looks like I got 3 of the 4 FA's signed. I would imagine most people knew about Albert and Grimes. I wasn't expecting or knew much about the Mitchell signing but from what I've ready I am looking forward to seeing what this guy can do.

Keller the only not signed and I'm not sure they will sign him. I would sign him to another yr prove it contract and see what happens. He can play.

I would also like to see us sign at least 1 other FA OL.

Once the FA dust settles I am going to try my hand at another mock scenario that may not include Mack.