Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 01-28-2012, 11:22 AM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Who is the Best TE in This Draft?

I have been researching the TEs and I am wondering who you guys think is the best TE in the class?

1. Dwayne Allen [Clemson]

Reminds me of a healthy Antonio Gates, catches the ball with his hands and is physical after the catch.

2. Coby Fleener [Stanford]

The hair cut is embarrassing and I do not know if he has the athletic ability reminds me of Greg Olsen.

3. Orson Charles [Georgia]

Love the athletic ability, but limited size and blocking like Kellen Winslow.
JohnCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the first two then a big dropoff. Fleener is probably the type, with his speed, that people will envision a Gronkowski type that can be a nightmare for safeties.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:07 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coby Fleener, and it's not really close for me. I like the upside of the other 2, but Fleener is a more polished product and I think he gets sold short athletically. He's going to be a mismatch in the NFL. I've got him as a legit first round talent. I know the Niners love Delanie Walker and all, but I wouldn't be at all shocked to see Jim Harbaugh dip back into the Stanford well at the end of Round 1, considering he loves his TE's so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, Fleener needs to bulk up a hair but he's a legitimate deep threat and you know everyone in the league is going to set out to run two TEs like New England.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:20 PM    (permalink
ericzedwards
Rookie

ericzedwards could make a wolverine purr.ericzedwards could make a wolverine purr.ericzedwards could make a wolverine purr.ericzedwards could make a wolverine purr.ericzedwards could make a wolverine purr.ericzedwards could make a wolverine purr.ericzedwards could make a wolverine purr.ericzedwards could make a wolverine purr.

I'm pretty high on Orson Charles. I don't think he was always properly utilized in Georgia's offensive scheme, especially considering the chemistry that he and Aaron Murray had from being high school teammates. He's a pure receiving tight end, and I think his stat line would've benefited from being used in a Dallas Clark-type role, which he was rarely used in at UGA. I'm not ready to say that he's my favorite TE prospect in this class, but I do see a lot of Dallas Clark in him.
ericzedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:58 PM    (permalink
WhiteBread
Rookie

WhiteBread is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhiteBread is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhiteBread is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhiteBread is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhiteBread is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhiteBread is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhiteBread is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhiteBread is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhiteBread is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhiteBread is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhiteBread is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dwayne Allen.
WhiteBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:40 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I think the first two then a big dropoff. Fleener is probably the type, with his speed, that people will envision a Gronkowski type that can be a nightmare for safeties.
There are much better comparisons than Gronkowski. Gronkowski is a complete TE. Fleener will struggle to block at an NFL level at 240 lbs. If he puts on the extra 20-30 lbs, he'll be slow as dirt.

Personally, I think Fleener is the best TE in this draft, but I don't really see 1st round TE in this class.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Allen has the best overall skillset for the NFL. He has pretty good height and playmaking ability.

I like Fleener as a possession TE that can take advantage of his height mismatch.

I definitely think the lid has been blown off the TE secret, but none are going to make the impact of Graham/Gronk/Hernandez. However all three could bring some nice value in the second or third. None have the 'freak' size/pass catching of Gronk or Graham or the 'freak' athleticism of Hernandez (who is actually pretty short 6'1")
Lil Quip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Dan_Steele
Rookie

Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Yeah, Fleener needs to bulk up a hair but he's a legitimate deep threat and you know everyone in the league is going to set out to run two TEs like New England.
Copy-cat league, getting two TEs with the same type of complimentary skill set that Gronk and Hernandez have will be difficult to achieve. Hard to believe that these two guys were available in the same draft, let alone in the third round of the same draft. There is an immense drop-off beyond Fleener, Harris, and Charles. Egnew, Green, and Peterson have a legitimate shot to be selected in the 4-5th round range, beyond that its a great deal of "fringe" players. Overall a pretty weak class.
Dan_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fleener, and it isn't even close. Gronk light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:44 PM    (permalink
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fleener is awesome. 6'6", good athlete, great hands. Borderline first-round talent for me.

Quote:
<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
<@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
<+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
Quote:
<+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.
DeepThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dwayne Allen is the most well-rounded and versatile in the class. Orson Charles is the most dynamic receiving option.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is how I would rank the current tight ends.

The big sleeper could be Ladarius Green, if he proves he can play a down tight end and block, he could be an outstanding pro. Oddly enough he might be tried at receiver if he shows good enough open field speed, might not have the strength to play tight end. Amazing pass catching though.

Dwayne Allen Clemson
Coby Fleener Stanford
Ladarius Green Lousiana Lafayette
Orson Charles Georgia
Michael Egnew Missouri
Brian Linthicum Michigan State
David Paulson Oregon
Brad Smelley Alabama
Kevin Koger Michigan
George Bryan NC State
James Hanna Oklahoma
Nick Provo Syracuse
DC Jefferson Rutgers
Evan Rodriguez Temple
Josh Chichester Louisville
Beau Reliford Florida State
Drake Dunsmore Northwestern
Brad Herman Iowa
Eric Lair Minnesota
Deangelo Peterson LSU
Andrew Szczerba Penn State
Adrien Robinson Cincinnati
Kavario Middleton Montana
Joe Halahuni Oregon State
Morkeith Brown Temple
Lansford Watson Maryland

Brian Linthicum I think is very underrated by a lot of people, he is a fine player. Josh Chichester and DC Jefferson are two of the most talent athletes physically, Chichester is so large and such a target, and Jefferson has such great lower body strength and overall size and speed, but lacks work ethic.

Herman, Lair and Hanna all disappointed this past season, but all are solid tight ends with pass catching ability. And Smelley really came on for Alabama this season and could be a very high pick considering where he was ranked before the season.

Allen is clearly the cream of the crop, such a dominating athlete with great speed. With the help of this years playoffs and all the tight end domination, Allen will be the 1st round pick because of that.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:58 PM    (permalink
TheRoo
Rookie

TheRoo TheRoo TheRoo TheRoo TheRoo

Dwayne Allen reminds me of a slightly shiftier version of Ben Watson.
TheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Fleener
2. Charles
3. Allen
4. Green
5. Egnew
Old 01-28-2012, 03:44 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
1. Fleener
2. Charles
3. Allen
4. Green
5. Egnew
I think my top 5 would be the same right now. I used to be a lot higher on Egnew but he's been pretty disappointing athletically this week.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Steele View Post
Copy-cat league, getting two TEs with the same type of complimentary skill set that Gronk and Hernandez have will be difficult to achieve. Hard to believe that these two guys were available in the same draft, let alone in the third round of the same draft. There is an immense drop-off beyond Fleener, Harris, and Charles. Egnew, Green, and Peterson have a legitimate shot to be selected in the 4-5th round range, beyond that its a great deal of "fringe" players. Overall a pretty weak class.
Getting both in that draft?!? That is already shaping up to be the sickest TE draft in NFL History:

1-21 Jermaine Gresham
2-42 Rob Gronkowski
3-70 Ed Dickson
3-93 Tony Moeaki
3-95 Jimmy Graham
4-113 Aaron Hernandez
4-114 Dennis Pitta

Pretty ho hum after that. Gresham has looked like a nice receiving threat. Dickson may not match people after him, but no slouch. Moeaki looked great before injury, where he was in the best TE in that draft convo before this year. Hernandez has amazing athleticism and had the second best TE stats in the AFC. Pitta looks like a nice receiver for the Ravens.

The Ravens are probably kicking themselves. We moved ahead of them for Gronk and we picked Hernandez right before them.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoo View Post
Dwayne Allen reminds me of a slightly shiftier version of Ben Watson.
For his sake, hopefully he can be a ton more consistent hands wise. Watson should have been what Hernandez is now.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:07 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Steele View Post
That draft was insane for TEs. You have Dennis Pitta, Aaron Hernandez, Ed Dickson, Tony Moeaki, Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski, Jermaine Gresham, Andrew Quarless, and Dorin Dickerson. And maybe more that I don't know are playing well.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:27 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fleener could be very very dangerous in the back end of the 1st if he goes to a team with a great QB. He's rumored to be a 4.45-4.55 guy at 6'6'' 245. Think J. Finley or Graham.

I'm very impressed with Allen too, as an all around more traditional TE. Solid.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
There are much better comparisons than Gronkowski. Gronkowski is a complete TE. Fleener will struggle to block at an NFL level at 240 lbs. If he puts on the extra 20-30 lbs, he'll be slow as dirt.

Personally, I think Fleener is the best TE in this draft, but I don't really see 1st round TE in this class.
Really only comparing him to Gronk in the fact they can get deep on opposing secondaries. Fleener had to know how to block playing at Stanford but he isnt as physical as Rob, who is?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:20 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dwayne Allen at this point in the process is clearly the #1 TE followed closely by Fleener and Charles. Allen has 1st round talent based on his speed and athleticism with the ability to run away from LB's. He also has the size and strength to dominate defenders in tight quarters. He is almost impossible to cover on passing downs.

Fleener and Charles have a solid shot to move past Allen during the Combine evaluation but right now they are a small notch behind him and will need outstanding Combines to shoot up draft boards.

They are all sitting as late 1st rounders to early 2nd rounders if all goes well for them at the combine. It is all going to come down to a team's preference because at around 28-32, you are talking about second round talent that will squeeze into round 1 because of a severe talent drop off.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:41 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
Fleener could be very very dangerous in the back end of the 1st if he goes to a team with a great QB. He's rumored to be a 4.45-4.55 guy at 6'6'' 245. Think J. Finley or Graham.
I also see him as having a Finley/Graham type of ceiling. I always wait until after the combine to pass a final judgement, but I have Fleener as the top TE by a mile.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:01 AM    (permalink
Miaoww
Veteran

Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still like Brad Smelley. I think very quietly he'll be a solid contributor in the NFL.
Miaoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:43 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think an argument could be made for any of the top three. Orson Charles is the best receiver of the bunch and has the size and athleticism to be a mismatch in the passing game, but doesn't offer much in the way of blocking. Fleener has the best combination of size and athleticism of the three and is a capable blocker. Dwayne Allen is the most well-rounded of the group, and definitely the best blocker. I just feel that he isn't the all-around receiver that the other two are. If I had to pick one over the other two right now, I'd probably take Fleener but I do have all three graded closely.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote