Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 PM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default I feel like NT is a strong possiblity in the 1st round

Anybody else feelin that? I can see Pioli signing a solid OL in FA, then having Romeo get his guy in the first while building the OL and depth with the rest of the picks.

I can see us trading down a few spots and picking Dontari Poe. Since Kelly Gregg will not be back next year, it's the only spot on the team where we don't have anybody that is legit enough to start there.
The division is also run heavy too. The Broncos were first in rushing this year, the Raiders were second to us last year and the Chargers have Mathews and Tolbert.

This seems to be the smart pick and I wouldn't mind it. Picking Poe in round 1 by trading down to get a pick we can use for depth would be fantastic.
In the 2nd round there will be so many good OL we can look at like...Zebrie Sanders, Brandon Washington, Kelechi Osemele, Nate Potter, Levy Adcock and Kevin Zeitler.

JUST DRAFT A QB DAMNIT!!!
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dontari Poe come on down.then we could have a Poe-Powe rotation at NT....and NOBODY wants to mess with the Poe-Powe :D
Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Anybody else feelin that? I can see Pioli signing a solid OL in FA, then having Romeo get his guy in the first while building the OL and depth with the rest of the picks.

I can see us trading down a few spots and picking Dontari Poe. Since Kelly Gregg will not be back next year, it's the only spot on the team where we don't have anybody that is legit enough to start there.
The division is also run heavy too. The Broncos were first in rushing this year, the Raiders were second to us last year and the Chargers have Mathews and Tolbert.

This seems to be the smart pick and I wouldn't mind it. Picking Poe in round 1 by trading down to get a pick we can use for depth would be fantastic.
In the 2nd round there will be so many good OL we can look at like...Zebrie Sanders, Brandon Washington, Kelechi Osemele, Nate Potter, Levy Adcock and Kevin Zeitler.
Other than the part about trading down, I agree with you. This defense is on the verge of being elite but they aren't there yet (26th against the run) and the missing piece is a NT (and maybe ILB). Too many times this year I saw a guard seal off Gregg and create a running lane for the back. Poe looks like he is big enough and strong enough to stop that. I'm looking forward to the combine when we get a better look at him.

One thing that I have noticed about mock drafts in the last few years is that a lot of people (Scott Wright excluded this year) tend to undervalue the NT. Approximately half of the teams in the league run the 3-4 there simply aren't enough true nose tackles to go around. If the Chiefs want Poe they had better take him at 11/12.
TheMatriculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:56 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anybody else worried about Poe? I read good things about him on the site, but there is no tape I can find and the few radio interviews I've found have been negative.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:38 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-RICH49 View Post
Dontari Poe come on down.then we could have a Poe-Powe rotation at NT....and NOBODY wants to mess with the Poe-Powe :D
Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 AM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
Anybody else worried about Poe? I read good things about him on the site, but there is no tape I can find and the few radio interviews I've found have been negative.
Oh sure, but that's why Scott Pioli is paid the big bucks. He'll do his homework and know plenty about Poe before the draft.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:21 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatriculator View Post
Oh sure, but that's why Scott Pioli is paid the big bucks. He'll do his homework and know plenty about Poe before the draft.
Well Pioli is batting 300 in my book. At least in the first round. I feel more inclined to go offensive tackle first and hope that Ta'amu is there in the second. I just don't like the defensive line in the first. I think there are more sure fire tackles that will be available.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:23 AM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
Well Pioli is batting 300 in my book. At least in the first round. I feel more inclined to go offensive tackle first and hope that Ta'amu is there in the second. I just don't like the defensive line in the first. I think there are more sure fire tackles that will be available.
If we were looking for an LT, I would agree but the need is RT and you don't need to spend 11/12 overall to fill an RT need. OTOH, 6'5" 360 lb NT don't grow on trees.

As Kiper said:
Quote:
A massive defensive tackle, Poe is a rare player, a possible centerpiece at defensive tackle in a 3-4 alignment. He's a force against the run on early downs.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:08 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Poe.. he's probably my second favorite player in this draft, but my first favorite is Mike Adams, so I'm seriously torn here.

If I had a choice I guess I'd go Poe at 11/12 because NT could really make this defense elite. Belcher is a solid player and DJ is a pro bowl player with our current NTs.. watch out if we get an actual NT in the building who can do his job.

RT is the second biggest need on this team though, behind QB. I'm turn. Would you rather have Poe -> Sanders/Washington or Mike Adams/Ta'amu? I can't decide, but Ta'amu did look amazing at the Senior Bowl.

Either way OT and NT should be our first two picks, unless somehow RG3 falls to us, which is not going to happen.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whether I want Poe... Not sure. He's an extremely intriguing prospect, but he's also kind of an unknown, too. One of those guys where you just have to be happy the team did their homework whether they take him or not.

RT is the pick for that spot, but there are a couple players that you kinda just can't pass on if they fall to #11 (Richardson). I'd be plenty happy with Reiff, Adams, or Martin.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want Jonathan Martin anywhere near this team. Every time I see him I come away thinking the same thing: soft.

I'd take Reiff and Adams, though I'd strongly prefer Adams.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:55 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

I'd prefer Adams and Ta'amu obviously. Also, as mentioned earlier they already of a Powe on the roster, I wonder where his progress is.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:56 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I don't know, but considering he barely suited up at all last year doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence in him going forward.

I know it takes time, but come on.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we take Trent Richardson in the first round, I will throw my TV out of my apartment window!
Seriously, we were 15th in the NFL in rushing without Charles. He is coming back with a year of rehab and he isn't going to be a former shell of himself. We have our feature back, no need to waste a pick on another. Getting a solid RB to fit in the rotation in the 2nd or 3rd round would be great.

I think an OL or NT would be a much better pick in the first round.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Charles and Richardson instantly gives us the best tandem in the NFL and for a team with spotty QB play and a desire to run the football you can't ask for anything better

Old 02-03-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i guess my biggest question about Poe would be his technique. playing at Memphis and being as HUGE as he is, he was able to man handle most offensive lineman he faced. @ 6'5" 360#s he better have good technigue or these NFL centers will eat him alive. being big won't overwhelm a good center. NFL Olineman will just get lower on him, create leverage and just push him where ever they want to.

now, OTOH, if he has ok technique at this moment and the Chiefs feel he has the ability to learn quickly AND THEN you factor in his size, he could be an absolute MONSTER in the middle. his presence on the field will make every single player on this team instantly better. pressure or at least clogging the middle will elevate Hali and Houstons sack numbers. it will shorten the QBs time to read the defense and lead to TOs. then add in the fact that DJ would have All World tackle numbers. the fact that KCs defense is a Top 10 defense this year w/o a good NT and Eric Berry should scare this **** out of teams on our schedule next season.
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:03 PM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Charles and Richardson instantly gives us the best tandem in the NFL and for a team with spotty QB play and a desire to run the football you can't ask for anything better
I'd rather have a much improved OL than Richardson. We don't need a gamebreaking RB bc we already have that in Charles and McCluster coming off the bench. I don't wanna use our first round pick on a RB to get the tough yards.

Our OL was downright BAD last year. Look at the Miami, Denver, Chicago and Raiders at Arrowhead game for proof. Hell there was a play in the Raiders game where we couldn't get 4th and inches!!! That is unacceptable!!

I think we have enough playmakers. Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin, Moeaki, Charles and McCluster are more than enough. I think the OL has got to be addressed somehow. With Von Miller, Elvis Dumerville, Kamerion Wimbley, Richard Seymour, Shaun Phillips, LaMarr Houston and Tommy Kelly in our division, we've got to get this fixed.

I think the team is built on the outside; it's the inside that needs to be improved.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:34 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'd rather have a much improved OL than Richardson. We don't need a gamebreaking RB bc we already have that in Charles and McCluster coming off the bench. I don't wanna use our first round pick on a RB to get the tough yards.

Our OL was downright BAD last year. Look at the Miami, Denver, Chicago and Raiders at Arrowhead game for proof. Hell there was a play in the Raiders game where we couldn't get 4th and inches!!! That is unacceptable!!

I think we have enough playmakers. Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin, Moeaki, Charles and McCluster are more than enough. I think the OL has got to be addressed somehow. With Von Miller, Elvis Dumerville, Kamerion Wimbley, Richard Seymour, Shaun Phillips, LaMarr Houston and Tommy Kelly in our division, we've got to get this fixed.

I think the team is built on the outside; it's the inside that needs to be improved.
Agreed. That said, if there is some ridiculous run on offensive linemen that pushes Richardson down I wouldn't be mad at all.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:57 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't know, but considering he barely suited up at all last year doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence in him going forward.

I know it takes time, but come on.
It's tough to say what their confidence in Powe will be... Gordon and Gregg played well enough that they didn't need to force Powe in there at all. I think there was a lot of thought towards playing some guys that hadn't seen action in Week 17, but they chose to close out the season with a concerted effort to get a win.

I think all we really know about Powe is that he worked hard and got himself in good NT shape.

Last edited by nepg : 02-04-2012 at 01:27 AM.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:28 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Gordon and Gregg anchored the middle of the 26th rush defense in the NFL. They didn't play well enough. They didn't play close to well enough. Powe should have had opportunities to see game action and the fact that he didn't is worrisome.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:37 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Gordon and Gregg anchored the middle of the 26th rush defense in the NFL. They didn't play well enough. They didn't play close to well enough. Powe should have had opportunities to see game action and the fact that he didn't is worrisome.
I disagree. Gordon and Gregg were fine. The Chiefs held opponents to 4.2ypc which is tied for 14th. You want to be better - obviously, but the NTs did a satisfactory job. They faced the 4th most rush attempts in the NFL.

The team seemed very determined with protecting as many of their rookies as possible this season because they didn't have an off-season. Rookie NTs don't get much action anyway. And when they do, it's often at DE and their DE rotation is pretty well set.

Last edited by nepg : 02-04-2012 at 01:39 AM.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:36 AM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do find it interesting about how they didn't find time for Powe or Stanzi. Both prospects were considered good finds at where we picked them, I'd like to see what we got in those two horses. As usual, the Matriculator hit it head on, 360 pound NT's don't grow on trees. That's a gamble I'd be willing to take at 11/12.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:21 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If we take Trent Richardson in the first round, I will throw my TV out of my apartment window!
Trent Richardson would be #3 on my Big Board, after the two QBs. It should tell you something that with RBs like Miller and Wilson in this draft, no one has any debate about who is best. I would be willing to trade up as high as #8 to draft him.

RB is a priority draft slot, for three reasons.
1) Thomas Jones is done, and we have no one that can fill those shoes.
2) JC has 4 years already. Give him a pass on his rookie years, since he did not play much. We are still looking at him having only a year or two more at the top of his game.
3) Most important, Richardson is good enough to draft with a stacked backfield.

On to NT. There are two DT that should be considered in the 1st round, and might be able to play NT: Poe and Ta'amu. Neither is a natural NT. They have athleticism and lateral mobility, which would make them good penetrators, but they lack the natuaral base to anchor against a C/OG double team. Both are better than Powe, but are the same type of player.

Given all of that, the best place to take a 1st round NT is where Cleveland took Phil Taylor last year. I dont grudge them PT, because we have Houston as compensation. Still, he would have been very nice to have.

J
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:42 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Richardson can do everything Charles/McCluster can't on top of being a threat to score on any given play. He can pass block, get tough yards, and has very reliable hands.