Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 02-19-2012, 01:01 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not using that stat to prove Gregg was bad. I have eyeballs that can do that for me. Watch ANY game last year, any game, it doesn't matter what week you throw up there, he is constantly being pushed back or walled at the LOS. He gets no push at all. He is done. If he doesn't retire he won't be back with the team next year. I'd much rather throw a rookie (or Powe) out there and let them learn by doing and not by watching Gregg.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:19 PM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Poe is becoming a very strong possibility in the first round. Kelly Gregg is retiring, Amon Gordon is a FA and all we have is Poe.

I think we resign Gordon and draft Poe.

Pioli places need ahead of talent. Tyson Jackson was a need pick for the 3-4. Eric Berry was BPA, but he was also the player to fill the biggest hole. We felt we had a capable RT in Richardson (fail) and a good LB core with DJ so we didn't need Okung or McClain anywhere near as bad as Berry.
Jonathan Baldwin was all need. Everyone and their grandma knew we didn't have a WR outside of Bowe and it was the biggest need at the time.

Right now NT is the biggest need because we don't have anyone capable of playing the position on the roster.

JUST DRAFT A QB DAMNIT!!!
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:12 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The same could be said for RT. Barry Richardson was, statistically, the worst OT in the NFL last year. Not only did he have 9 penalties and give up 8 sacks, but he gave up 36 quarterback pressures as well. He has got to go.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am getting a late start on the conversation. Sorry.

Three points. First our draft philosophy

1) Value - including character as well as physical tools
2) Position premium - QB, edge, versitility, power in that order
3) need

We need a NT, but we have a young one, Powe, a seasoned veteran, Gregg, and a scheme that pulls the NT in nickel sets. This is a position that could use an upgrade, but the possibility exists to take things slow.

Position premium is there. NT is considered hard to find. New England spent a first round on Vince Wilfork, and never regretted it. However, none of the best NT were high picks. BJ Raji is the closest. Wilfork was in the 20s. Ratliff was 7th round. Also, this is not a position you can expect a draft pick to start. Even Raji played more DE his first two years.

Value wise there is nada for the top half o the round 1, but at least 3 shots in round 2. Depending on how things fall out ta'amu, Thompson and Chapman rate 30-75 range.

I think the priority is to get a trade in the first round. With Tannehill and several CB and LT candidates in the 8-15 range, the phone will be ringing. The exception is if there is top value dropping, most likely Trent Richardson. I do not see us trading the chance to draft TR. Second most likely is that we take Tannehill.

J
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:09 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
I am getting a late start on the conversation. Sorry.

Three points. First our draft philosophy

1) Value - including character as well as physical tools
2) Position premium - QB, edge, versitility, power in that order
3) need

We need a NT, but we have a young one, Powe, a seasoned veteran, Gregg, and a scheme that pulls the NT in nickel sets. This is a position that could use an upgrade, but the possibility exists to take things slow.

Position premium is there. NT is considered hard to find. New England spent a first round on Vince Wilfork, and never regretted it. However, none of the best NT were high picks. BJ Raji is the closest. Wilfork was in the 20s. Ratliff was 7th round. Also, this is not a position you can expect a draft pick to start. Even Raji played more DE his first two years.

Value wise there is nada for the top half o the round 1, but at least 3 shots in round 2. Depending on how things fall out ta'amu, Thompson and Chapman rate 30-75 range.

I think the priority is to get a trade in the first round. With Tannehill and several CB and LT candidates in the 8-15 range, the phone will be ringing. The exception is if there is top value dropping, most likely Trent Richardson. I do not see us trading the chance to draft TR. Second most likely is that we take Tannehill.

J
I would not be pleased with a Tannehill selection in the 1st. I'm not impressed enough to buy him in the 2nd. As much as we don't like it all accounts are that the Chiefs are solid on Cassel. The next QB to get a shot will be Stanzi.

I like Ta'amu and Thompson as 2nd round possibilities, but I've heard (and agree) that Thompson looks more like a 34 end than nose.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:25 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

When it's all said and done, Dontari Poe will absolutely be worth a selection at 11. He moves too well for a big guy to go unnoticed. He'll be a top 15-20 pick for sure.

Another thing to think about is this: If for some reason Trent falls to us we could potentially move back with the Bengals and scoop up their two firsts. Then we could take a combination of Poe, Adams or Tannehill and hit two massive needs out of the gate.

As for Tannehill, I disagree about him not being worth a first round pick. I love the kid. I'd just rather draft a few other positions over Tannehill himself. Now, if it was RG3 I'd say you run up to the podium as quickly as possible but he won't be available, so.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:30 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
NT is considered hard to find.
I guess it'd be really hard to pick up the phone.

"Hello, is this Paul's (Soliai) agent? This is Scott Pioli from the Kansas City Chiefs and we'd like to know what it will take to make your client a Chief"

The problem I have with Poe is when you see his work out numbers, you see a definite first rounder. After watching him play, I see a project.

Last edited by TonyGfortheTD : 02-22-2012 at 04:43 AM.
TonyGfortheTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:18 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont see project at all, just needs coaching with a baseline of skills that make him a monster regardless of where he goes. Some fine tuning is needed but he is not 'raw'.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:02 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
I would not be pleased with a Tannehill selection in the 1st. I'm not impressed enough to buy him in the 2nd. As much as we don't like it all accounts are that the Chiefs are solid on Cassel. The next QB to get a shot will be Stanzi.

I like Ta'amu and Thompson as 2nd round possibilities, but I've heard (and agree) that Thompson looks more like a 34 end than nose.
I doubt we get the chance to pass on Tannehill. I also doubt Weeden makes it to #44.

I expect us to take Trent Richadson if available, or deCastro, or trade down. If we trade with, say, Cincinatti at #17, I would feel a lot better about taking either an RT like MArtin or Adams, or a NT like Poe. Ta'amu may or may not be available in round 2 and Chapman in round 3.

J
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

There is no way Poe gets to 17. He might not make it to us at 11 as it is right now.

And for the love of god, no Weeden. We already have a 50 year old QB who needs to develop.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:55 PM    (permalink
SoCalBam
Veteran

SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agree with Vidae Poe might not make it to 11.
SoCalBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 PM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yup I don't see Poe making it past Carolina at 8. They need a DT and Poe just made Brockers look a foo in Indy.

JUST DRAFT A QB DAMNIT!!!
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I'm hoping they still have Brockers graded higher and Poe can fall to 11. Otherwise, boo.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

Quote:
ESPN's Bill Williamson expects the Chiefs and Chargers to show interest in free agent NT Paul Soliai.

Kansas City has plenty of cap space, and San Diego similarly has a nose-tackle need. Soliai, who goes 6-foot-4, 355, is the closest NFL free agent in terms of body type and movement skills to likely top-20 draft pick Dontari Poe. Per Williamson, pro scouts believe Soliai is "an upper-echelon player" as a run plugger who wears down interior offensive linemen with size and quicks.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I have a feeling Poe will be the better pro, but I wouldn't be mad at Soliai in KC.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I'm hoping they still have Brockers graded higher and Poe can fall to 11. Otherwise, boo.
I don't see it... A guy like Poe would really open things up for Hardy and Johnson to get to the QB much more easily and take that defense to a pretty high level.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I don't see it either. That's why I said I was hoping it happened, not that I expected it to.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ook-plays-off/

CBS Sports’ Bruce Feldman interviewed one veteran college offensive line coach who game planned against Poe in Conference USA. The position coach gave Poe mixed reviews.

Quote:
“He’s probably the best talent I’ve seen in several years,” said the assistant. “He took plays off and wasn’t a great effort guy, but he is a freakish talent.”

Feldman suggested that most oversized defensive linemen take some snaps off.

“Yeah,” the coach conceded. “But he took off more than most. He did get better last year than he was the year before. He just was never that productive, but I heard they didn’t require him to do that much. He was definitely someone I took into account with schemes. … I’m not at all surprised to hear that he’s blowing up at the Combine, at all.”
Old 02-28-2012, 04:46 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Someone with his dominant physical tools probably should have had much more of an impact against inferior CUSA offensive linemen. I would prefer Soliai every day of the week, I think we will all wind up disappointed if the Chiefs take Poe.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:18 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ook-plays-off/

CBS Sportsí Bruce Feldman interviewed one veteran college offensive line coach who game planned against Poe in Conference USA. The position coach gave Poe mixed reviews.
I wouldn't put much stock into this. We're well into draft season where a lot of BS gets leaked.

That position coach could certainly = scout from the Steelers that wants him to slip.

The potential with Poe is there, but watching him play I don't see someone ready to start the hardest position on the defense. He'd likely be a project, and we already have one of those. The Chiefs need a starter.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:44 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

If the Chiefs come out of the draft without an elite talent at QB, this will have been a wasted offseason.

Here is to hoping we aren't stupid for the 44th straight year. I'm not holding my breath though.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:31 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
If the Chiefs come out of the draft without an elite talent at QB, this will have been a wasted offseason.

Here is to hoping we aren't stupid for the 44th straight year. I'm not holding my breath though.
Who are you thinking about? Luck and RG3 are the only elite QBs in this draft and it is unlikely the Chiefs will have an opportunity at either.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
Who are you thinking about? Luck and RG3 are the only elite QBs in this draft and it is unlikely the Chiefs will have an opportunity at either.
I forgot to include offseason. I'm mainly talking about Peyton or RG3. Make no mistake about it, if we wanted RG3 I'm sure we could figure out something to package to move up, but that seems unlikely, and that is the problem.

This team, like the last however many years, will not go anywhere without a legit franchise QB. It feels like I'm taking crazy pills here because I don't get why Clark Hunt and Scott Pioli don't realize this.

Oh well. 44 years since our last Super Bowl appearance.. I guess the same approach to this position is good enough.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

I'm probably just drinking the kool-aid but I seriously think we have as much chance as getting Peyton Manning as anyone else.

We have about as good a situation if not better than any of the interested teams.

If the Chiefs seriously want him I think a deal could get done.

Last edited by Splat : 03-02-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:13 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

I would sign off on Peyton if his neck checked out. As much as I'm an advocate of gladiator games to relieve overcrowded prisons, I really don't want to see anyone die at Arrowhead.