Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:54 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
So much Rivers hate lol

River's was a monster playing with 4th, 5th, and 6th string receivers making some amazing throws. This year he had no time to throw at all we had one of the worst Offensive linemen play this season for us ever. We moved 2 practice squad OL to start on our OL. Up until we signed Gaithers was when our OL started playing some what decent. Rivers has one bad season and the band of River bashers unite.
It's because people here are fickle and tend to remember the most recent thing that you accomplished. All it takes is one good postseason run to change the perception.

When Eli Manning went 1 and done in 2008 and missed the playoffs for two straight years (throwing 25 picks in 2010) he wasn't being called elite either.

But all it takes is one good postseason run, and therein lies the problem... football is of course a team sport, and perhaps if the Chargers were able to trot out as impressive a defensive line as the Giants have maybe they'd have two Super Bowl wins too. Hell, if Rivers doesn't tear his ACL in the playoffs a few years ago...

Plus, you know a player is good, when even in a "bad season" he has a passer rating of 88+ and throws for 4600 yards and 27 touchdowns.

Wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:55 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
its like beating a dead horse with this topic
Well, it looks like we have a lot of pony drummers then because there's been a lot of discussion in the thread.

Still amazes me when someone doesn't like a topic someone else created, they still take the time to chime in and complain.

Like my wife.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:59 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSavant View Post
Can't we do this with every team, evar?
If Lee Evans just....... :(
Old 02-07-2012, 05:00 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think Rivers is easily top 10 and would be fine slotting him anywhere after #4. I think there are a few guys there that are pretty much interchangeable. I don't think the discussion is "is Rivers a great QB?" because he clearly is, I think the discussion is, is Rivers in *that* group. I merely pointed out that for the past 4 years, everyone has said that this is the year Rivers and the Chargers take that step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:08 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
I still think Rivers is easily top 10 and would be fine slotting him anywhere after #4. I think there are a few guys there that are pretty much interchangeable. I don't think the discussion is "is Rivers a great QB?" because he clearly is, I think the discussion is, is Rivers in *that* group. I merely pointed out that for the past 4 years, everyone has said that this is the year Rivers and the Chargers take that step.
The problem is the rest of the team, namely the defense, hasn't taken that "step".

If you want to isolate Rivers, he elevated his game to "elite" back in 2008 when he had his finest season. From 08-10 name me a QB who played better... he took a step back last year with some costly mistakes and turnovers, but the OL for the middle six weeks of last year was the worst in the NFL easily. PFF stated that Brandyn Dombrowski was the worst left tackle they had EVER graded during that stretch.

Even when the Charger defense plays well in spurts, weird stuff happens (i.e. special teams ridiculousness)
Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not reading through this thread, but somebody go back and find all of the posts that disrespect Cutty so I can neg rep the **** out of them. I don't care what the stats say, Cutler shits all over Stafford as a QB.

Here's my list. I'm starting an expansion team in a neutral, open air climate (like San Fran) and can sign a QB to a 1 year contract (all cost the same). My order of preference, with last year in parentheses:

1. Aaron Rodgers (5)
2. Tom Brady (2)
3. Drew Brees (4)
4. Eli Manning (8)
5. Ben Roethlisberger (3)
6. Jay Cutler (9)
7. Peyton Manning (1)
8. Phillip Rivers (6)
9. Tony Romo (10)
10. Michael Vick (7)
11. Matthew Stafford
12. Cam Newton
13. Matt Ryan
14. Matt Schaub
15. Joe Flacco

Nobody else worth mentioning.
ChiFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:23 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
The problem is the rest of the team, namely the defense, hasn't taken that "step".

If you want to isolate Rivers, he elevated his game to "elite" back in 2008 when he had his finest season. From 08-10 name me a QB who played better... he took a step back last year with some costly mistakes and turnovers, but the OL for the middle six weeks of last year was the worst in the NFL easily. PFF stated that Brandyn Dombrowski was the worst left tackle they had EVER graded during that stretch.

Even when the Charger defense plays well in spurts, weird stuff happens (i.e. special teams ridiculousness)
How does that make him different from, say, Tony Romo or Matt Schaub in recent years?
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:28 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Big Brandon doesn't seem to rank Brady too high:

Giants running back Brandon Jacobs appears to have more respect for Packers QB Aaron Rodgers and Saints QB Drew Brees in that type of game-winning situation.

“I respect Tom Brady and the New England Patriots,” Jacobs told the Associated Press. “He does a great job with the guys he has. But if that was Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers on the other side, with those big play outfits, 57 seconds would have been plenty enough time for those guys.”

Jacobs said the Patriots struggled to move the ball down the field.

“They needed a helluva lot more than 57 seconds to be able to win the football game,” Jacobs said. “So I wasn’t worried at all.”
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:29 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post

Giants running back Brandon Jacobs appears to have more respect for Packers QB Aaron Rodgers and Saints QB Drew Brees in that type of game-winning situation.

“I respect Tom Brady and the New England Patriots,” Jacobs told the Associated Press. “He does a great job with the guys he has. But if that was Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers on the other side, with those big play outfits, 57 seconds would have been plenty enough time for those guys.”

“They needed a helluva lot more than 57 seconds to be able to win the football game,” Jacobs said. “So I wasn’t worried at all.”
Is he disrespecting Brady or the supporting cast? Depends on what you want to be true, I guess.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:31 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

Quote:
How does that make him different from, say, Tony Romo or Matt Schaub in recent years?
Romo is a bit unfairly scrutinized. He's another guy who is scrutinized for notable mistakes and playoff failures. When he's on, he's effective. But he really hasn't had that MVP caliber season yet so that holds him out of elite status.

Schaub is a good QB but more in the realm of game manager. How confident would you be that he could carry an offense, which Rivers has proven he can?

Is this a snap judgement because of this year or have you always felt this way (not familiar with you as a poster)
Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiFan24 View Post
I'm not reading through this thread, but somebody go back and find all of the posts that disrespect Cutty so I can neg rep the **** out of them. I don't care what the stats say, Cutler shits all over Stafford as a QB.

\

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:48 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is that a midget or a fatso middle schooler???
Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post

Who cares about anything Bradon Jacobs has to say on QB play.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've said this before, I think Phillip Rivers is this generation's Dan Fouts. He's a great statistical qb who's just falling short in the playoffs.

Nothing for nothing, Dan Fouts is a HOFer, so it's not a knock. But that just seems to be what Phillip Rivers is. I think his perception is different than Fouts bc in today's NFL, statistics for qbs are weighed more bc of fantasy football's influence on our perception of offensive players.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 AM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran

jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77

1. Brady
2. Rodgers
3. Brees
4. P. Manning
5. Rivers
6. E. Manning
7. Stafford
8. Roth
9. Cutler
10. Romo

If I was starting a team today and I wanted a QB for the next 10 years:

1. Rodgers
2. Stafford
3. Ryan
4. Newton
5. Luck
jsagan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsagan77 View Post
1. Brady
2. Rodgers
3. Brees
4. P. Manning
5. Rivers
6. E. Manning
7. Stafford
8. Roth
9. Cutler
10. Romo

If I was starting a team today and I wanted a QB for the next 10 years:

1. Rodgers
2. Stafford
3. Ryan
4. Newton
5. Luck
If you're going to do something stupid like rank P Manning 4th when he hasn't played football in a year and probably won't ever play again, then just don't rank him.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 AM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
If you're going to do something stupid like rank P Manning 4th when he hasn't played football in a year and probably won't ever play again, then just don't rank him.
Is it really that crazy, though? You could make the argument that he was sitting at around #4 after the 2010 season.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Is it really that crazy, though? You could make the argument that he was sitting at around #4 after the 2010 season.
But why would we be ranking QBs from that time? Who else has done that in this thread?

i done stole dis sig
Old 02-16-2012, 10:59 AM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

Quote:
But why would we be ranking QBs from that time? Who else has done that in this thread?
We aren't, but if you already had him there, on what basis can you move him up higher?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:02 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
We aren't, but if you already had him there, on what basis can you move him up higher?
On what basis can you rank him at all? You can't, because he can't throw the ball. So he is realistically probably the worst QB "in the NFL" right now. Should we rank him at the bottom? It just makes no sense to rank him anywhere at all to me, and to rank him 4th seems like pushing an agenda.

i done stole dis sig
Old 02-16-2012, 11:06 AM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

Quote:
On what basis can you rank him at all? You can't, because he can't throw the ball. So he is realistically probably the worst QB "in the NFL" right now. Should we rank him at the bottom? It just makes no sense to rank him anywhere at all to me, and to rank him 4th seems like pushing an agenda.
GETTING MAD ABOUT HIM RANKED AT 4 IS WHERE THE AGENDA IS BEING PUSHED
;)
Old 02-16-2012, 11:07 AM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My rationale had to do with body of work and what I feel he will accomplish in 2012.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd still take a Manning who can't throw over Blaine Gabbert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote