Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:56 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default With FA all but over...what are your favorite/worst moves?

Favorite

-Love the Brandon Lloyd signing. 3/12 is a steal and i think he'll be the most productive of any FA WR with Brady/McDaniels

-Like Oakland getting a solid pair of starting CB's with Bartell and Spencer. Both are decent CB's who fell out of favor under new regimes for different reasons.

-Peyton Hillis at 1/3 is a low risk/high reward move.

-Saints in general had a solid FA period. Hawthorne, Lofton, Brunkley, and Grubbs is a pretty nice haul. I'm not a big fan of their 2011 draft and they don't pick until Round 3 in 2012 so they need this FA class to produce, and i think they will.

-I really like Josh Morgan and Robert Meachem for the Redskins/Chargers respectively. I don't think Morgan is worth 5.75 a year but its only a 2 year deal.

-Other solid values- Eric Winston, Jason Jones, Mario Manningham, Laron Landry

What i didn't like

-Laurent Robinson. This one screams FA bust to me. Came out of nowhere and had 1 good season with Romo. 1/5th of all his catches were TD's and that's a very hard if not impossible stat to repeat (i think Grantland.com had a nice article about this signing and stat)

-Eric Wright. Don't think even TB fans like the signing.

-Mario Williams (sort of). I think he has potential to be a dominant player but it just seems too much for me. Don't like that he hasn't had double digit sacks in the last 3 years (although he was on pace last year, who knows what would have happened with the injury). But i still think he can live up to his contract, just not entirely sure, which is why its a "sort of".

-John Carlson. A lot money for a TE who hasn't produced since his rookie year.

Team-wise, i really like what the Chiefs, Saints, and Raiders have done. Broncos too because they've set themselves up to make a championship run, but its all short term. I also think they might miss the loss of Brunkley, unless they can get a comparable DT in the draft (i assume that would be their priority).

What are your opinions? Favorite and least favorite signings and moves of FA?
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love that you keep calling him Brunkley.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:11 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hes just putting broderick and bunkley together. saves time lol

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I miss Bunk. Eagles probably should have kept him over Patterson.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eric Winston!!!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:17 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like our signing of MB. I think Coughlin, Gilbride and especially Coach Pope can work with MB with now a off season and develop him. I was hoping he'd sign with us, and very glad he did.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:06 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Packers actually signed players. Veteran players, from other teams. They haven't been this active in FA since they signed Woodson and Pickett.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:07 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In short: our new LB corps

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:14 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Saints kinda killed FA...got a good G for less than Nicks cost, and Grubbs is basically the LG version of their RG Evans...Bunkley is one of the better 4-3 interior run stuffers in the league...two solid LBs...good for them.

I thought the Jets did a good job...Landry is a great signing for 1/4mil (and he's a pure safety people, I have no idea when this FS/SS thing became a big deal again but a good safety is and always has been both), Pouha is locked up to a solid contract, and Schilens has some untapped potential if he can stay healthy (plus gives the height that you KNOW Jet fans themselves will call for from WR so they can just look at the skill level of draftees without worrying about size). Plus, there's the Tebow trade which, for a 4th, isn't so bad.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:14 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Chiefs had a fantastic offseason, adding guys like Boss, Hillis and Winston on Offense were all great moves and replacing Carr with Rout was a good signing as well

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:18 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
The Chiefs had a fantastic offseason, adding guys like Boss, Hillis and Winston on Offense were all great moves and replacing Carr with Rout was a good signing as well
Good call, forgot about them. Hillis for 1/3 is in the same vein as Landry for 1/4, though Landry's been less of an ass towards his bad ex-team. Winston is a solid NFL RT, and Boss when healthy is a decent TE.

Do they still have Leonard Pope over there?
Old 04-07-2012, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bears:

I like the trade for Marshall, it was brought in for low cost with high reward.

I dislike the signing of Weems. I just didn't see the point. He's good, but I think the money could be used elsewhere.

And I'm sad we haven't come to a deal with Amobi Okoye.

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:44 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A few values I really liked regarding players switching teams:

Broncos sign TE Joel Dreessen

Chiefs sign RB Peyton Hillis

Chiefs sign OT Eric Winston

Colts sign DE Cory Redding

Cowboys sign S Brodney Pool

Giants sign TE Martellus Bennett

Jaguars sign QB Chad Henne

Patriots sign WR Brandon Lloyd

Patriots sign CB Will Allen

Raiders sign CB Ronald Bartell

Redskins sign CB Cedric Griffin

Saints sign LB Chris Chamberlain

Seahawks sign DE Jason Jones

Titans sign OG Steve Hutchinson
Old 04-07-2012, 07:01 PM    (permalink
indyfan1985
Veteran

indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dont forget about SS Tom Zbikowski to the Colts Matthew Jones. I think he could be a good pickup for us alongside Bethea.

indyfan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:32 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Worst: Cardinals - Adam Snyder 5/17.5
Best: Chiefs - Eric Winston 4/22

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought the trade for Brandon Marshall was great and I really didn't get giving Eric Wright so much money.

Homer corner, I'm so happy we got Winston.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cowboys signing Nate Livings is one of the worst moves.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:36 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really happy with the Saints FA moves. Even with limited cap, signed two new starters for the LB core (badly overdue), got a NT whose one of the better run stuffers in the league so Ellis at the 5 tech can pass rush, Grubbs is still a solid G, and resigned Colston. Overall it was a very very good offseason signing.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To beat a dead horse, the Chiefs picking up Winston without breaking the bank is a huge coup. I remember earlier it seemed he was scaring teams off with huge contract demands. Getting one of the better RT's at 5.5 mil a year is really nice. Plus they now have a nice set of bookends.

I will be a homer and say Brandon Lloyd. Everyone and their mother expected him to follow McDaniels. Lo and behold, it came true. He is getting up there in age, but 4 mil a year is chump change to the other contracts, and McDaniels has shown he can get great production from him. In addition, he is a different type of receiver than the ones we have been able to develop.

I have to put Mario Williams in the good category. Sure they may have overspent on him, but him in conjunction with their number 10 pick with their pretty much intact core from last year gives them the pieces to jump into the upper echelon. Sure they jumped the gun on the cap floor next year, but I think the success they will have mitigate that. Fitzpatrick buoyed by a strong run game with a healthy Jackson and Spiller can move the ball and that defense will be tough. I think overpaying a few guys to get a lot better as a team can be worth it.
Lil Quip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People get too wrapped up in teams "overspending" in FA. Mario Williams is the best FA signing, even at the cost. A great pass rusher like that next to arguably the best DT duo in the league can give the Bills the kind of dominant defensive line that turns that Defense around right away. Sure they still need to add to turn that into a great unit, but god damn it do they have some great pieces to match with an offense that can put points on the board. Bills are really making big steps under their new regime and I think we're not very far from seeing the Bills in the playoffs, especially if they can bolster their depth well.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:47 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
People get too wrapped up in teams "overspending" in FA. Mario Williams is the best FA signing, even at the cost. A great pass rusher like that next to arguably the best DT duo in the league can give the Bills the kind of dominant defensive line that turns that Defense around right away. Sure they still need to add to turn that into a great unit, but god damn it do they have some great pieces to match with an offense that can put points on the board. Bills are really making big steps under their new regime and I think we're not very far from seeing the Bills in the playoffs, especially if they can bolster their depth well.
I really disagree with this statement. If anything, overspending is kinda brushed off by most without realising that seldom is it a good thing to do.

I say this with no real knowledge of contract situations within the Bills, but what happens in a few years when Kyle Williams and Dareus need resigned? With all the money invested in Mario Williams, is it smart to put so much money into a certain part of your team?

This kinda sounds silly, but having a team of elite players is almost more of a detriment than a blessing. Playing in the salary cap era you need to prioritise your money.

Not to keep going on, but if you look at the best teams, they don't make huge splashes in FA. GB never do, Pittsburgh, New England, NYG etc. The reason being is, if you spend big on one player and he doesn't pan out then you set the franchise back five years at least.

Good teams are built with a few elite players, good to average starters and good, quality depth. Overspending on any one player takes away your ability to build quality depth.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Worst: Cardinals - Adam Snyder 5/17.5
Best: Chiefs - Eric Winston 4/22
It's kind of amazing that Eric Winston was only able to get $22 million while Levi Brown signed for $30 million.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:59 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well Levi Brown got no guaranteed money

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:02 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I really disagree with this statement. If anything, overspending is kinda brushed off by most without realising that seldom is it a good thing to do.

I say this with no real knowledge of contract situations within the Bills, but what happens in a few years when Kyle Williams and Dareus need resigned? With all the money invested in Mario Williams, is it smart to put so much money into a certain part of your team?

This kinda sounds silly, but having a team of elite players is almost more of a detriment than a blessing. Playing in the salary cap era you need to prioritise your money.

Not to keep going on, but if you look at the best teams, they don't make huge splashes in FA. GB never do, Pittsburgh, New England, NYG etc. The reason being is, if you spend big on one player and he doesn't pan out then you set the franchise back five years at least.

Good teams are built with a few elite players, good to average starters and good, quality depth. Overspending on any one player takes away your ability to build quality depth.
I don't agree with this. Rosebud is right.

The way free agency works nowadays you have to overpay. Now, going out and giving 5 guys each 20 million more than they are worth is terrible, but if you sign one or two good players who would be significant upgrades on your football team it's worth it if you have to overpay a little bit.

You can't fill every whole with the draft or free agent bargains. Sometimes you have to spend big to get better. There is only 1 super bowl winner among 32 teams every year... just because a team didn't win the super bowl doesn't mean their big money signing wasn't a good deal.

Take the Cowboys and Brandon Carr as an example. Is 50 million overpaying for Carr? Yeah probably, but they needed a CB and didn't want to have to be forced into taking one in the 1st round that might not even turn out to be a good player. Would you rather have them sign some bargain scrub for 2 million? No. They spent some money but they upgraded the position significantly by doing so. It needed to be done.

Big spending at the right time has it's benefits.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 04-08-2012 at 01:05 PM.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like what KC did. If they can just grab a NT or 5 tech in the draft, a WR and if they just had a qb, they'd be a dangerous team.