Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Surely Martin won't be available at #60.
RBs always go much later than they're valued.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah it's interesting to see names that have hardly ever been mentioned now being labeled as players people "love" and "need" on the team. Relax. It's the combine.

As for Doug Martin. He would be a great option to be in the rotation but does anyone think it's a smart investment to use pick #30 on RB3?

I never said pick 30, but I would love Martin in the second or beyond. The draft never goes according to plan. Guys fall through the cracks every year. And I mentioned Stephen Hill a few weeks ago in this very thread so yes, I knew who he was and just how much ppl were sleeping on his physical ability. I think you need to take your own advice and relax. I look foward to the Combine to answer alot of questions about guys physical ability in some instances. No reason not to get excited to see a guy you think has potential to be a good player, surprise you by just how impressive their physical tools are. I love alot players after every Combine. But I know we cant draft them all...
Old 02-26-2012, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah it's interesting to see names that have hardly ever been mentioned now being labeled as players people "love" and "need" on the team. Relax. It's the combine.

As for Doug Martin. He would be a great option to be in the rotation but does anyone think it's a smart investment to use pick #30 on RB3?

He probably will be and don't call me Surley.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Never was impressed with Sanu, not surprised about his 40 time.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marvin Jones was a top performer in the three cone drill and had a decent 40 time of 4.46.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
hawkeye123
Veteran

hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm lovin' the RB's in this class.

Turbin, Polk, Pierce, and Demps are my favorites.

Kendal Wright only ran a 4.61, that could help him drop to #30.

Last edited by hawkeye123 : 02-26-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:27 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Marvin Jones was a top performer in the three cone drill and had a decent 40 time of 4.46.
Still very much on the Marvin Jones bandwagon.....did he measured a legit 6'2?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Still very much on the Marvin Jones bandwagon.....did he measured a legit 6'2?
Yes. He measured out to 6'2'' exactly.

Here is his player profile page from NFL.com.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 02-26-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:45 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

I'll take that. I saw somewhere where he was listed at only 6'1. Every inch counts, IMO.

And I still dont see Wright making it to 30. I think his tape speaks for itself. So what's everyone's take on Blackmon and Jeffrey? I'm not found of guys who are healthy but choose not to work out at the Combine. Thats a major red flag for me. The Combine is a equal playing field for all participants and promotes competiton. To have major questions about your physical abilities and for you to just shun it, just doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-26-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
I'll take that. I saw somewhere where he was listed at only 6'1. Every inch counts, IMO.

And I still dont see Wright making it to 30. I think his tape speaks for itself. So what's everyone's take on Blackmon and Jeffrey? I'm not found of guys who are healthy but chose not to work out at the Combine. Thats a major red flag for me. The Combine is a equal playing field for all participants and promotes competiton. To have major questions about your physical abilities and for you to just shun it, just doesn't sit well with me.
Well those players might be getting advice from their agents so that they'll put themselves in the best position to be drafted. Which of course changes how much money you can make as a rookie. Or rather, what kind of initial deal you'll get. Better safe than sorry is their approach I guess. The same reason why quarterbacks don't throw the ball at the combine. Honestly I could see why players do it. I don't want to come off like money is everything, but the NFL is a business and the NFL is cut-throat. All these players are are just valuable commodities. Nothing more. Sometimes I think organizations forget these are people.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 02-26-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Blackmon only didn't do the jumps en timed parts because he had a sore hamstring. At least he did get on the field for the catching drills. Strange enough Weeden had de same thing.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
Blackmon only didn't do the jumps en timed parts because he had a sore hamstring. At least he did get on the field for the catching drills. Strange enough Weeden had de same thing.
Interesting....didnt kniw about the hammy and I didnt see him in any drills. How did he look?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looked good in the Gauntlet. Haven't seen much of the routes so cant judge on that.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:16 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Well those players might be getting advice from their agents so that they'll put themselves in the best position to be drafted. Which of course changes how much money you can make as a rookie. Or rather, what kind of initial deal you'll get. Better safe than sorry is their approach I guess. The same reason why quarterbacks don't throw the ball at the combine. Honestly I could see why players do it. I don't want to come off like money is everything, but the NFL is a business and the NFL is cut-throat. All these players are are just valuable commodities. Nothing more. Sometimes I think organizations forget these are people.

I understand your point. And QBs are a whole different ball game when it comes to the Combine. But these guys had like what, 7 weeks before their last game to get ready for this? I dont understand if your healthy, why you wouldnt stand toe to toe with the best at your respective position and compete. I dont know that saving it for your Pro-Day helps you earn more money. I think a coach like Jimbaugh might frown upon a prospect who ducked out from competing. Me personally, I just feel it does more to hurt your rep than improve your showing at your Pro-Day.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
I understand your point. And QBs are a whole different ball game when it comes to the Combine. But these guys had like what, 7 weeks before their last game to get ready for this? I dont understand if your healthy, why you wouldnt stand toe to toe with the best at your respective position and compete. I dont know that saving it for your Pro-Day helps you earn more money. I think a coach like Jimbaugh might frown upon a prospect who ducked out from competing. Me personally, I just feel it does more to hurt your rep than improve your showing at your Pro-Day.
Curious, did Alex Smith throw at the combine? I don't remember. I know he and Aaron Rodgers threw at some point, but I think it was a pro day.

That being said, I suppose all player feel like they have some sort of advantage at their own school's pro day, instead of the NFL combine.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2012, 05:44 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Cam got killed by draftniks for his throwing performance at the combine last year. He still went number 1, but you don't have a lot to gain throwing to WR's that you are unfamiliar with. He had a lot of WR's cutting routes shorter than he expected on his drops. Player's pro days are much better scripted and are designed to highlight throws players can make or have been working on.
"When I'm on the field, my one thought is to completely annihilate you and do everything in my power to make you fail. I don't have a single thought about what my hair looks like, what my shoes look like, why my shirt's unbuttoned. I don't care who you are or what you've done in this game. - Brian Wilson
Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

For a QB i can understand why he won't throw altough i believe that most scouts more look at how they throw. For a receiver its just good to show how good you run the routes and if you can change it at the end.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
Cam got killed by draftniks for his throwing performance at the combine last year. He still went number 1, but you don't have a lot to gain throwing to WR's that you are unfamiliar with. He had a lot of WR's cutting routes shorter than he expected on his drops. Player's pro days are much better scripted and are designed to highlight throws players can make or have been working on.
Im not talking about QBs though. I understand why they dont throw....for the reasons you just stated. Im talking all other positions, specifically the guys I mentioned.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:12 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Im not talking about QBs though. I understand why they dont throw....for the reasons you just stated. Im talking all other positions, specifically the guys I mentioned.
I can understand Blackmon not running the 40 but for a guy with a ton of question marks like Jeffery I don't think it is a good decision. Then again prospect pro day numbers are usually faster compared to the combine. I remember Scott McCloughan was a bigger fan of the off field stuff at the combine like interviews and collecting medical information on a player compared to the on field events.
"When I'm on the field, my one thought is to completely annihilate you and do everything in my power to make you fail. I don't have a single thought about what my hair looks like, what my shoes look like, why my shirt's unbuttoned. I don't care who you are or what you've done in this game. - Brian Wilson
Old 02-26-2012, 06:41 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Players could have an injury they don't want to be revealed too. If you are going to do two workouts (combine and pro day), it might make sense just to do one where you may have an upper hand at anyways. Not to mention, the risk of injuring yourself before the draft goes down as well. You'd feel pretty dumb if you hurt yourself at the combine in a drill you didn't have to participate in.

If you are a highly touted player, you are still going to get drafted high even if you don't do much work at the combine. But if are a highly touted player and you don't have a great performance, you could have your stock fall.

That being said, every situation is different for every player.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2012, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Blackmon and Hill killed in the Gauntlet. Blackmon had 2 throws that were low and into the body, and had no trouble. Hill had a fingertip grab on a ball that was slightly overthrown on a go route.

Didn't get to see much of the crossing routes or 9 routes because I had to go to sleep and the NFLN was showing player highlights/spending time on the commentators.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

I think Hill has moved himself into top 25 conversation. He's created that VD/Clay Matthews/Matt Jones type of buzz now and I doubt a guy with that much physical talent and upside makes it to 30. Though I sure hope so. Alot has yet to be determine. One or two of the CBs could have a similar type of showing and put the spotlight on them. But with so many teams needed WR help in front of us, Im not going to get my hopes up.

So who is the next guy you like after the first round guys? I still like Streeter. Im starting to like McNutt a little more. Still think Quick is a big sleeper. Still like D. Jones and Adams. But the one guy I would love to have and the guy who keeps proving himself at every turn since bowl season is Marvin Jones. And with guys like Hill and Streeter getting all the pub after their workouts, he's quietly creeping under the radar. So my question is would you be opposed to Jones at 30? Not saying it should happen or will happen. But do you believe Jones posesses first round talent? Do you believe he is in the same class of athlete as other first round WRs?

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-27-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:13 AM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

I think Hill will be there at 30 and if he is i see us picking him. When he isn't there i believe we should go with an DE/OLB or a guy like Fleener. This WR-class is pretty deep so i believe we can pick up one in the 2nd or 3rd instead of reaching for someone like Jones, Streeter, Quick or Adams.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:49 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
I think Hill will be there at 30 and if he is i see us picking him. When he isn't there i believe we should go with an DE/OLB or a guy like Fleener. This WR-class is pretty deep so i believe we can pick up one in the 2nd or 3rd instead of reaching for someone like Jones, Streeter, Quick or Adams.
I agree with you to some extent. The reason I asked the question is because I think Jones has first round talent. I believe he's a poor man's version of Floyd. And I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to him at 30. Sure I like the other WRs as well.....but not as much as I like Hill and Jones at this point. And I dont think Jones makes it to our second round pick. I just dont see him flying under the radar too much longer. A guy with that good of a all-around skill-set as him, teams are going notice once they bring him in for workouts. I see him as a tie for the best(Hill being the other) of the second tier group. I know its a deep draft and if its not Hill or MJones it will be somebody, but I'm trying to gauge just how everyone feels about the second tier guys and if one of them really stands out for them, over the other guys.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-27-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Must say i liked Junior Hemingway yesterday(don't know how his game-tape is) and altough he had those concussion Chris Owusu is a nice receiver for in the later rounds.
Closed Thread