Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
Must say i liked Junior Hemingway yesterday(don't know how his game-tape is) and altough he had those concussion Chris Owusu is a nice receiver for in the later rounds.
Funny you mentioned Hemingway, I was trying to figure out could he make the Delaine Walker conversion as a H-Back type. He's a short, thick WR with some wiggle. His short shuttle was 3.98s, thats insane for a guy at 230 lbs. To put into perspective, Mike Wallace's short shuttle was 4.27s. Good numbers in the vert and broad as well so he has some explosion as a athlete. Im very much intrigued by he's skillset.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-27-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wasn't Hemingway a rb at Michigan before Rich Rod?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Loved what I saw from Andre Branch today.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
AS11toFG21
Rookie

AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.

Hope I'm not too late to hop on the Stephen Hill bandwagon.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Loved what I saw from Andre Branch today.
He's been my top 3-4 LB all along, and would love to grab him if he's there at 30
Old 02-27-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, everyone is putting WAYYY to much emphasis on Hill's 40 and overall performance. A good 40 will not raise a player 2-3 rounds. I still think that he could be grabbed at the end of the 2nd
Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

You can probably get Hill in the second round, but late in the second after his combine? Probably not.

I also wouldn't mind Branch at 30 as it seems Brooks is on the way out.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 PM    (permalink
AS11toFG21
Rookie

AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
Also, everyone is putting WAYYY to much emphasis on Hill's 40 and overall performance. A good 40 will not raise a player 2-3 rounds. I still think that he could be grabbed at the end of the 2nd
It wasn't just the 40. He also had a 40 inch vert and an 11 foot broad jump.

But beyond that, I was most impressed by his drills. He looked surprisingly smooth and quick in and out of his cuts. He also made some really nice catches, including that sprawling, finger-tip grab on the go route.

I saw some of his game tape and didn't see superstar, but I think it had a little to do with the fact that he was only getting targeted a few times a game. I think, with the motivation of being a featured receiver, could develop into a star with some coaching and more effort.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:13 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Matt Jones says hello.....

All jokes aside, the thing is Hill was being talked about as being a sleeper already. People knew he was a talented kid with great physical ability, but raw. But I don't think anyone thought he had that Megatron-like physical ability. I mean 6'4 kids with speed and explosion don't grow on trees. Of course, looking at his game film, the kid is probably not going to hit the ground running. But its not like the kid didnt make plays and came out of nowhere. He avg freaking 28 yards a catch and had over 800 yards receiving. All that in offense that barely threw the ball 10 times a game. One thing you know coming from that offense is the kid can block, something Jimbaugh and most coaches would covet. And the emergence of Thomas in Denver makes Hill's upside that much more likeable because he's virtually the same player Thomas was at this stage, but with better triangle numbers. I know alot can happen between now and the draft but as of now, Im saying Hill doesn't make it out of the first. No way.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-28-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS11toFG21 View Post

But beyond that, I was most impressed by his drills. He looked surprisingly smooth and quick in and out of his cuts. He also made some really nice catches, including that sprawling, finger-tip grab on the go route.
Thats the other thing I forgot to mention. He looked so smooth in the drills. He said he's been working out with former NFLer Terrance Mathis on improving his route running and it showed. Still has a little hiccup coming out his break but those are things that can be 'coached up'. But he caught the ball with ease and along with Floyd, made the guadlet look like child's play. You tie that together with the solid numbers across the board(even the 6.88s, 3-Cone is impressive for such a long-legged guy) and yes, it can bump you up a couple rounds. Streeter also bumped himself up a couple of rounds to a solid 3rd rounder....maybe even late 2nd depending on who you talk to.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-27-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS11toFG21 View Post

I saw some of his game tape and didn't see superstar, but I think it had a little to do with the fact that he was only getting targeted a few times a game. I think, with the motivation of being a featured receiver, could develop into a star with some coaching and more effort.
Yeah, the little game tape that I saw only had him mostly running go routes, and the defense also blew their coverages each time.

I thought he looked really good in the drills too. Maybe teams already knew he was a top pick, and we are just finding out...
Old 02-28-2012, 12:09 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Evan Silva of rotoworld went back and watched two of his games last night:
Quote:
Watched 2 Stephen Hill games last night (UNC, CLEM). Baller. Stands out as best player on field when involved. Way better RAC than expected.

Hill catches everything w/ his hands. Growing up to do but freak length, catch radius, speed, high effort. Plays fast. 1st rd within reach.
I'll be digging around ESPN 3 and see if they have an archive of those 2 games mentioned above.

Mike Mayock's breakdown of Stephen Hill's workout:
Quote:
On Georgia Tech wide receiver Stephen Hill: “Stephen Hill killed it. I had a bunch of scouts tell me before the combine this kid might blow the roof off of it and he did. The tough thing with Stephen Hill is coming out of that option offense, he’s hard to evaluate…From a football perspective, every team in the league has a lot of homework to do. He’s a hard guy to figure out, just like Demaryius Thomas was because you don’t see real routes; all you see are verticals, crosses and play-action and jump balls. You have to do your homework on this kid and he’s kind of pushed himself right up in the forefront of this wide receivers class.”
Also Mayock's opinion on the TE class:
Quote:
“The tight end class is a bad class. That’s not good given [Rob] Gronkowski and [Aaron] Hernandez, and what we’ve seen in the NFL – everybody is looking for that next guy. I don’t have a first-round grade in the tight end class, I have three second-round grades and then I have kind of an abyss. The tight end class is a rough one.”
If 49ers sign a big name FA WR should Fleener be a candidate for pick 30/trade back?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-some-fleener/

Would it be a luxury pick? I do think it would be a long shot but we know how much Harbaugh loves tight ends in his offense. An offense of Crabtree, Colston?, Davis and Fleener would be potent.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:32 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Matt Jones says hello.....

All jokes aside, the thing is Hill was being talked about as being a sleeper already. People knew he was a talented kid with great physical ability, but raw.
Yeah. Several people I read had Stephen Hill as a top-5 WR prior to the end of bowl season. He's not an "out-of-nowhere" prospect.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:56 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

opted to redo my mock draft:

1. alfonzo denard - cb
2. andre branch olb/de
3. marvin mcnutt - wr
4. brandon taylor - s
5. marquis maze - wr/kr
6. ben bojicic - c
7. marc tyler - rb

stephen hill " may not " be there @ 30...beyond him or kendall wright not sure i'd spend a 1st round pick on any other wr. not sold on jeffrey / sanu / floyd just yet.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:33 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
opted to redo my mock draft:

1. alfonzo denard - cb
2. andre branch olb/de
3. marvin mcnutt - wr
4. brandon taylor - s
5. marquis maze - wr/kr
6. ben bojicic - c
7. marc tyler - rb

stephen hill " may not " be there @ 30...beyond him or kendall wright not sure i'd spend a 1st round pick on any other wr. not sold on jeffrey / sanu / floyd just yet.
You're not sold on Michael Floyd at #30???

Ok then.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
You're not sold on Michael Floyd at #30???

Ok then.
prob' won't be there either...seems like anyone that isn't blackmon-wright-hill-alshon is a reach.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:54 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
prob' won't be there either...seems like anyone that isn't blackmon-wright-hill-alshon is a reach.
Michael Floyd could very well be the #2 WR taken.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rather have Fleener at 30 and a FA WR.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:48 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

Dennard isn't that great, and Branch is going in the first
Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Yea, I dont know why everybody is so high on Dennard. He really regressed this year. Honestly not very impressed with this CB class.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:54 PM    (permalink
AS11toFG21
Rookie

I was very happy to see Cliff Harris measure in at 5'11. Will he get to pick #62?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i dont really see why we should draft a CB. With Brock, Culliver and Brown we have 3 young CB's that still can grow a lot and even if we lose Rogers i would prefer a guy with more experience and maybe pick-up a project-player in the later rounds.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:36 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

Now that Brooks is signed, who's a mid to late round guy we can draft to play OLB?

A guy who caught my eye this week was Oliver Vernon of Miami. I don't know where he is expected to go, but he could be a guy to look at.

Last edited by edgrenade : 02-28-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Now that Brooks is signed, who's a mid to late round guy we can draft to play OLB?

A guy who caught my eye this week was Oliver Vernon of Miami. I don't know where he is expected to go, but he could be a guy to look at.
Vernon reminds me alot of Haralson actually. Relies almost entirely on an inconsistent bullrush.

One of the reasons I was so happy they prioritized Brooks is because IMO the FA crop and draft crop of 3-4 OLB prospects SUCKS for the most part.

Last edited by phlysac : 02-29-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:12 AM    (permalink
AS11toFG21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
i dont really see why we should draft a CB. With Brock, Culliver and Brown we have 3 young CB's that still can grow a lot and even if we lose Rogers i would prefer a guy with more experience and maybe pick-up a project-player in the later rounds.
I can understand that. I just really like Harris.