Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 02-17-2012, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Free Agency Thread

Might as well start this thread with Free Agency right around the corner.

Bengals made 1st signing today with RB Aaron Brown.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hopefully he's the low point of our free agent signings. I'm hoping we can see a quality WR, CB, S and OG before all is said and done. I know that isn't likely based on Mikey's past, but at this point we can dream a little. If he signs just 2 above average players that are of "starter" quality, it will make draft day sooo much easier.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:11 AM    (permalink
Clarkpba
Rookie

Clarkpba is a cocksman.Clarkpba is a cocksman.Clarkpba is a cocksman.Clarkpba is a cocksman.Clarkpba is a cocksman.

I expect a couple of big money free agents to be signed just due to the large amount of cap space the Bengals have. They have over 60 million in cap space and i believe this is the first year of having the new cap floor. I'm not saying Mike Brown will spend the money wisely or on the right positions but he will spend money. With the very nice array of free agent wide receivers it would be nice to bring in one of the top guys to play along side Green. My fear is Brown will sign one of the second tier wide outs to a huge number one kinda deal. I haven't seen who is out there for other need positions like guard and safety so i cant really comment on those spots. Maybe one of you guys can fill me in on the top guys available there.
Clarkpba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this point i think the Bengals will have to make a splash and spend money in FA just to get the fans exited to come back to the stadium.

RIP themaninblack
Old 02-20-2012, 01:39 PM    (permalink
FootballGod
Rookie

FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Steelers are concerned that another team will take Mike Wallace if they put a first-round tender on the restricted free agent instead of the franchise tag. The last place Pittsburgh would want to see the big-play wide receiver go is inside its own division.

The Ravens and Bengals are among a handful of teams who are considered viable candidates to go after Wallace. Both teams are looking to upgrade at wide receiver. Both have more salary-cap room than the Steelers. And both have more motivation than other teams: Acquiring Wallace not only makes them stronger at wide receiver, but it takes away a playmaker that they won't have to defend twice a season.

Wallace, a 2011 Pro Bowl performer, finished first among AFC North wide receivers with 72 catches and 1,193 yards receiving. He stretched the field with seven receptions of at least 40 yards, including touchdowns of 81 and 95 yards. He also caught one pass of 40 yards or more in six straight games this season.

Mike Wallace
#17 WR
Pittsburgh Steelers
2011 STATS

Rec
72 Yds
1193 TD
8 Avg
16.6 Long
95 YAC
493 It's logical that the Ravens would be interested in Wallace. Baltimore only had two wide receivers who caught more than four passes last season (Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith) and neither had more than 57 receptions. But the Ravens have never traded a draft pick higher than a second-rounder (Terrell Owens in a 2004 deal that was ultimately rescinded) and they've come across as being more impressed with Antonio Brown than Wallace.

Still, Baltimore would only have to part with the 29th overall pick, and the Ravens know no wide receiver the caliber of Wallace will drop that far. Wallace, who turns 26 before the season, is entering the prime of his career, which makes him a more attractive option than the other free agent wide receivers: Marques Colston (who will turn 29), Vincent Jackson (29) and Reggie Wayne (33).

But Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome made it sound like the team wouldn't be pursuing restricted free agents.

“There’s going to be some restricted free agents that we would like, but is it going to be worth giving up a significant amount of cash and cap and a draft pick?," Newsome said at the Ravens' season-ending press conference. "When you deal with that double-whammy, even though the rules have been relaxed, you just go, ‘Nah, no, I wouldn’t do it.’ That’s just my philosophy.”

The bigger threat inside the AFC North to pry away Wallace is the Bengals, because of their cap situation. With an estimated $60 million in cap room, the Bengals could sign Wallace to a contract that includes a $20 million roster bonus (which ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter explains in the video). The Steelers, who are around $11 million over the cap right now, would be hard-pressed to match such an offer.

Cincinnati can make this move and still draft in the first round, because it has two picks this year. The Bengals, who have the Raiders' 17th overall pick from the Carson Palmer trade, would give up the No. 21 pick for Wallace.

Wallace would significantly upgrade Cincinnati's wide receiver group. The Bengals have one of the best young wide receivers in the league in A.J. Green, but they are looking for more consistent production than what they got from Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell. Imagine what Andy Dalton could do with Wallace, Green and tight end Jermaine Gresham.

Of course, the Steelers can make themselves less vulnerable if they put the franchise tag (estimated $9.6 million) on Wallace instead of the first-round tender ($2.7 million). But it will take a massive round of cuts (wide receiver Hines Ward, guard Chris Kemoeatu, defensive end Aaron Smith, offensive tackle Jonathan Scott and inside linebackers Larry Foote and James Farrior) and restructured contracts (quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and linebacker James Harrison) to make enough cap room for the Steelers to use that tag.

The Steelers have until March 5 to decide whether they will put the tag on Wallace or risk losing him.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While the addition of Wallace would do disgusting things for our offense as well as take away a major threat from Pittsburgh, I don't know how I would feel about giving up a first rounder for him when we have plenty of major needs that should be addressed (e.g., S, OG, RB, CB). WR can looked at a bit later in the draft. That said, it's a good thing that we have 2 first rounders as it opens up our flexibility to draft day trades.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:39 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bengals should go after Wallace and then draft/sign a franchise RB. They already have Dalton/Green/Gresham as a core. A RB and another WR opposite Green would make the Bengals an explosive team for years to come.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:38 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes2053 View Post
While the addition of Wallace would do disgusting things for our offense as well as take away a major threat from Pittsburgh, I don't know how I would feel about giving up a first rounder for him when we have plenty of major needs that should be addressed (e.g., S, OG, RB, CB). WR can looked at a bit later in the draft. That said, it's a good thing that we have 2 first rounders as it opens up our flexibility to draft day trades.
I would rather give up a first Rounder for him ( a proven player) than gamble on someone else.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:13 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love to have Wallace, don't get me wrong. I just question that a 1st round pick for him may be too much, though it may be spot-on with what he could bring across the field from Green.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
Old 02-26-2012, 09:36 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

I'd rather pass on Wallace and draft an OG and a CB in Rd 1, a RB in Rd 2 and sign a veteran WR like Manningham or Meachem or Garcon. They may not be as good as Wallace, but they will fill in quite well and we;ll have an extra pick from NOT making the Wallace deal. I'd like to see us come out of it with Doug Martin RB, Glenn or DeCastro OG and Gilmore or Jenkins at CB
Old 02-26-2012, 09:54 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickscott View Post
I'd rather pass on Wallace and draft an OG and a CB in Rd 1, a RB in Rd 2 and sign a veteran WR like Manningham or Meachem or Garcon. They may not be as good as Wallace, but they will fill in quite well and we;ll have an extra pick from NOT making the Wallace deal. I'd like to see us come out of it with Doug Martin RB, Glenn or DeCastro OG and Gilmore or Jenkins at CB
THIS. Any of those 3 WRs could fill the same role as Wallace as Green is clearly the #1. What we really need is a legitimate #2 WR threat and that role can be filled for less than a 1st round pick.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
Old 02-27-2012, 06:35 AM    (permalink
Clarkpba
Rookie

Clarkpba is a cocksman.Clarkpba is a cocksman.Clarkpba is a cocksman.Clarkpba is a cocksman.Clarkpba is a cocksman.

The big key is making sure not to pay #1 money for a #2 receiver. Something the Bengals are considering is filling the spot through the draft again. A guy flying under the radar i think will be great in that spot is Devier Posey. It looks like he may be available in the third and in my mind that would be a steal to get a player of his caliber that late. His of field issues had nothing to do with breaking the law or drugs. He was part of the tat gate thing and was over paid by a booster for an off season job.

If a top free agent receiver can be had for a bargin price to fill that #2 roll by all means I'm in on that. I just don't want the team to over pay just because they have to actually spend money.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:06 AM    (permalink
SC Igniter
Rookie

SC Igniter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SC Igniter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Never know what the FO is thinking, but from here I would think that what we do Free Agent wise is as important as our draft actions. I really think the Bengals are well positioned to fill all of our holes and strengthen our team this year. It seems like this draft class strength is OG, RB & DT weighted, so WR and secondary might be where their headed in FA. I would ante up a 1st rounder if Wallace comes on the mkt. Weve got the money to spend, just do it MB.

The likely scenario will be one of the other FA WR's on the market plus secondary addition. One can argue that signing Nelson plus adding a secondary FA is more of a priority. So I see 2 "significant" FA signings with Nelson & Sims resigning on my wish list. From there, I think we can complete everything that we need in the draft.
SC Igniter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:22 PM    (permalink
SC Igniter
Rookie

SC Igniter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SC Igniter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickscott View Post
I have come around to agree with you on this. My wish list still includes us signing 2 strong FA's, with one of the WR's above plus Michael Bush would be real nice. Then we can go Jenkins and Glenn/Decastro in the 1st round. Don't want Gilmore, saw him contribute to 2 USC losses at the corner.

Last edited by SC Igniter : 03-02-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Bengals should go after Wallace and then draft/sign a franchise RB. They already have Dalton/Green/Gresham as a core. A RB and another WR opposite Green would make the Bengals an explosive team for years to come.
We would be better off signing Nicks and drafting DeCastro and ending up with whatever is left than following your sscenerio IMO.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 AM    (permalink
FootballGod
Rookie

FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Signing Nicks or Grubbs should be priority #1. It doesn't matter if we get a legit #2 WR or a legit RB in FA or the draft if Andy can't get the ball to them or have holes to run through. RB is the easiest position to fill. We will either sign Bush or draft one in the second round. What we know for sure is that there will be at least one OG available when we pick at 17 who can start from day one in DeCastro or Glenn. The second 1st round pick can be used on BPA. We could to Jenkins, Still, Barron, Worthy, Miller ect. We are going to be hard pressed to f*ck this draft up. It should be unbelievable!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:20 PM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With all this cap room, what do you guys think the odds are we make a play for one of the guards in FA (Nicks/Grubbs)? And what about Cortland Finnegan? I'd love to see him come here. Him and Pacman would be hilariously awesome.

I'm still pissed about letting J.Joseph go :\.
NotMyJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

There a good chance they will go after them, but it is slim to none that they actually land any of the top free agents.

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-06-2012, 01:56 AM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well that's how it goes being a Cinci fan.

Hopefully they at least try hard. Throw some cash at em
NotMyJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Clarkpba
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyJob View Post
With all this cap room, what do you guys think the odds are we make a play for one of the guards in FA (Nicks/Grubbs)? And what about Cortland Finnegan? I'd love to see him come here. Him and Pacman would be hilariously awesome.

I'm still pissed about letting J.Joseph go :\.
I'd be shocked if Pacman is back to be honest. Finnegan would be a good pick up if you can get him at a decent price. I've heard Grubbs is on the list of guys they are targeting. Getting him and Decastro or Glenn would make the O-line just sick nasty.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:20 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where are the Bengals going to address the RB need? Is Miller/Wilson worth the 21st pick? I think you guys go DeCastro/Glenn at 17, and either Miller/Barron/Jenkins.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:24 AM    (permalink
Clarkpba
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
Where are the Bengals going to address the RB need? Is Miller/Wilson worth the 21st pick? I think you guys go DeCastro/Glenn at 17, and either Miller/Barron/Jenkins.
I could see the Bengals trying to address the position via the draft but i also think they will look over the free agent market as well. Former Raider Micheal Bush has been mentioned as a person of interest.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 AM    (permalink
SC Igniter
Rookie

I sure would to see them resign Nelson and Fanene soon. If we lose them, our shopping cart needs to get a bigger. I prefer keeping someone that is proven and knows our system.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:42 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

Once we get into FA and guys start hearing what other guys are getting it will only be tougher. For some reason, MB never learned this; he think he can make guys twist and squirm before he pays them anything.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickscott
We would be better off signing Nicks and drafting DeCastro and ending up with whatever is left than following your sscenerio IMO.
With $60m in cap room, they could get Wallace, Nicks, Grubbs and still have the first rounder from OAK to use on a RB or whoever and still have plenty of cap room left over. Teams that have cap room never want to spend it and then wonder why their stadiums are half empty.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote