Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Fantasy > Fantasy Baseball

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Because it doesn't fix the problem of Prince and Yoda's teams being too terrible to contend for anything higher than 10th place.

This isn't an ideal situation. It requires some bold/creative changes to be made. But something has to be done in order to avoid a full re-draft.
Are they still in the league? Why are their teams so terrible? Isn't that the point of a dynasty league? They built it that way. My team certainly isn't so great, but I'm going to continue to tinker with it.

The only thing I can think of is to lower the keepers to 8. Some good players should then be available for them to grab.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As long as D, GF, Jug, Yo, Brodeur, KCJ and I are on board with whatever is decided for the other five teams, it'll work out.

BF, not sure if you're serious about leaving the league. If you're still on the fence, please explain how you would fix the major problem we have since you object to the current proposal. Reducing the number of teams in the league is not an option.

Last edited by Xiomera : 01-26-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Are they still in the league? Why are their teams so terrible? Isn't that the point of a dynasty league? They built it that way. My team certainly isn't so great, but I'm going to continue to tinker with it.

The only thing I can think of is to lower the keepers to 8. Some good players should then be available for them to grab.
Yoda and Prince, as bad as their teams have grown to be, remain active throughout the season (that's half the battle of having a good league) They've been long-time members of the league. They can stay if they want to stay.

Yes, this is a dynasty league and you have to work to maintain a contending team. But entering a fifth season without a total re-draft, this separation into contenders and non-contenders would happen in any league. It's a total detriment to competitiveness and I don't think the league is as much fun if the challenge of winning is lessened.

Have any of you ever been in a dynasty league that lasted this many years? Seems to me that they all seem to fizzle out sooner than this, so we've got to adjust to survive and sustain, in my opinion.

Last edited by Xiomera : 01-26-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:23 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am fine if we decide not to do the whole redistribution draft. My team isn't so terrible to the point to where if I do some work on it, some players rebound from an off season (cough Pujols, cough Hamilton), I maybe able to climb up. I will throw it out there that after the draft, I would be very much looking to get some pitching (so trades ahem). I mean I could come up with 9 players to keep from my roster....

1. Michael Wacha
2. Brandon Phillips
3. Allen Craig
4. Yadier Molina
5. Josh Hamilton
6. Albert Pujols
7. Matt Cain/Clay Bucholz....not exactly sure
8. Michael Cuddyer (NL Hitting Champion)
9. Salvador Perez/Matt Adams/Andrelton Simmons

Is it the best list? No, not really. I have an old team. My pitching is awful. That's my own fault. However, I would like to have the #1 pick tho in the draft still tho....
Old 01-26-2014, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

If Yoda and Prince don't want to be in a re-distribution draft, I won't make them. Without being part of it, however, their keeper situation would still be considerably worse than the incoming replacement owners (IrishFan and TBD) or any of the other seven stable teams.

But IF we do include them in a re-distribution draft, it's a one-time effort to hopefully correct the competitive balance for another 4-5 seasons. It would not be an annual bailout for struggling teams. I don't foresee another season where two (or three, depending on BF) owners are replaced, so this offseason already features major change. I figure we might as well just get all of the changes done at once.

Last edited by Xiomera : 01-26-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:08 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
BF is the kid who kicks the ball into the woods when he's tired of playing with everyone. Bravo.

I've had zero complaints other than this one since I've been in the league. 99.9% of the drama in this thread is you and D bitching back and forth at each other.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

I've had zero complaints other than this one since I've been in the league. 99.9% of the drama in this thread is you and D bitching back and forth at each other.
How do you propose fixing our competitiveness problem without reducing the number of teams and without doing a full re-draft?

You don't like the re-distribution draft (even though it doesn't impact your roster), but it seems unfair to me to complain about the idea without working with me to devise another solution.

I very much object to your claim that I unilaterally decide on things. This thread is absolutely riddled with debate, proposing of possible solutions and fixes and requests for input. I thought this re-distribution thing was a done deal back in August because the debate ended and people seemed content. You restarted the discussion, so that's what this is.

Last edited by Xiomera : 01-26-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:14 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We could start by getting rid of the people who don't have a clue what they are doing but are kept around because they make ****** trades with certain other people like clockwork.

Which I said like...four years ago.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:17 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
We could start by getting rid of the people who don't have a clue what they are doing but are kept around because they make ****** trades with certain other people like clockwork.

Which I said like...four years ago.
Be specific. Don't beat around the bush.

If you want to replace more than DJP and Max, you have to recognize and admit that replacement owners in charge of the current bad teams' rosters will still not be able to be competitive. A very successful fantasy baseball player like myself would not be able to convert Max or Yoda's team into a winner.

I doubt very much anyone here has been a league that worked seamlessly AND remained competitive five years into it.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:19 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's me, he is talking about me. He said it a few pages back. He said Prince and I are nice guys and all but...so he hasn't beat around the bush.

Last edited by yodabear : 01-26-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:22 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I guess I have two issues that are interconnected but not entirely:

1) Yoda seems like a nice guy and it's nothing personal, but I can't honestly tell if him continuing to play is some sort of ironic joke or if he's a plant to make occasionally awful trades that boost the people he talks to the most. Does anyone,ever, at any point, think Yoda will win this league? Does he even think that? The absolute biggest problem in this league, by far, is that some people are really good at this and some people aren't. Having a redraft won't do **** if it's always the same cast of characters.

Prince just never participates. He says he's going to and then he doesn't. His decisions don't seem to be that great either, but it's hard to tell because he's almost never around.

2) There have been too many "executive decisions" as of late. I don't recall voting on this. I know for a fact we didn't vote on the number of keepers. And while I don't think that you are being political about it, because frankly you're so damn good at this that you don't need to be, there seems to be a breakdown in terms of what everyone else wants to do, and what you do. You may be right, but I don't like the optics of it at all.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 01-26-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:30 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:

1) Yoda seems like a nice guy and it's nothing personal, but I can't honestly tell if him continuing to play is some sort of ironic joke or if he's a plant to make occasionally awful trades that boost the people he talks to the most. Does anyone,ever, at any point, think Yoda will win this league? Does he even think that? The absolute biggest problem in this league, by far, is that some people are really good at this and some people aren't. Having a redraft won't do **** if it's always the same cast of characters.
Addressing this first point:

Yoda made two trades last season:

Erick Aybar for Matt Adams and Andrelton Simmons (with Xio)
and
Salvador Perez, Josh Hamilton, Melky Cabrera, Matt Cain for Mark Reynolds, Matt Holliday, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Michael Bourn (with D-Unit)

2012 was the same story. In hindsight, he made an error of trading a badly slumping Hanley Ramirez to D for three pitchers when he was pitching desperate. But none of his other trades were problematic.

I think a few years back you could correctly argue Yoda was making awful trades, but that's no longer accurate, BF. I know one thing for certain though — Even if I replaced Yoda, there isn't any single person out there that could make a winner of his team given who his current keepers are. Something (re-distribution draft or otherwise) would have to be done to pull that team's roster back into a state of respectability.

This is just an inevitability of a league that has lasted for five seasons. Some teams, whether smartly managed or not, will eventually fall out of sight competitively.

As for Prince, I would absolutely prefer that he be more involved in this thread. But the truth is he has remained active as far as setting his lineup and negotiating trades.

Last edited by Xiomera : 01-26-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:37 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Yeah it's not ideal, but that's partially what you get when you have no standard for replacing owners. It's not like the teams used to be really good because they were old and sacrificed longterm vision for short-term success, which I would agree is inevitable. They were never good.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:

2) There have been too many "executive decisions" as of late. I don't recall voting on this. I know for a fact we didn't vote on the number of keepers. And while I don't think that you are being political about it, because frankly you're so damn good at this that you don't need to be, there seems to be a breakdown in terms of what everyone else wants to do, and what you do. You may be right, but I don't like the optics of it at all.
I have not made executive decisions without public deliberation where everyone had full opportunity to express their opinion. The trouble is that we've got 3-4 very vocal members and the rest just go with the flow, mostly. I don't know how to approach this problem. Once again, you're welcome to advise me.

There WAS a vote on the number of keepers in August. Some argued for 8. Some argued for 10. We split the difference. Don't confuse discussion for decision. Everything was in flux as we decided how to address the competitiveness problem of the lower tier of teams.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Yeah it's not ideal, but that's partially what you get when you have no standard for replacing owners. It's not like the teams used to be really good because they were old and sacrificed longterm vision for short-term success, which I would agree is inevitable. They were never good.
But you can agree that I have to do something to correct this competitiveness problem, right?

Yes, we have to make this up as we go. But I'm working under the parameters of having to allow certain successful teams to keep most of their hard-earned players AND figure a way to eliminate automatic bottom-feeding teams.

We can continue to seek a solution that works for everyone. I just need everyone to speak up.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:41 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
I'm making an executive decision here before the trade deadline.

It's 9 keepers. No one's vote is far off from this verdict, so I'm going with it.
I'm not sure who we is in your equation, but this was entirely you.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:43 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It was back and forth between people arguing for 8 and 10, so he made an executive decision to split the difference.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
Old 01-26-2014, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Yes, but that number was generated as the result of the preceding comments, which varied from 8 keepers to 10 keepers to 9 keepers with a prospect slot. I split the difference. Back in August, a decision had to be made so everyone could prepare for the end of the season.

Do you want to hold ANOTHER vote? Do you even object to 9 keepers or do you simply object to the method that 9 was settled upon?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:47 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Except that's not how voting works. Voting is when everyone gets an equal say and the majority vote wins. Interpreting the will of the people and then making a unilateral decision is the exact opposite of a vote.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:48 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Yes, but that number was generated as the result of the preceding comments, which varied from 8 keepers to 10 keepers to 9 keepers with a prospect slot. I split the difference. Back in August, a decision had to be made so everyone could prepare for the end of the season.

Do you want to hold ANOTHER vote? Do you even object to 9 keepers or do you simply object to the method that 9 was settled upon?
The method. There seems to be an increasing amount of decisions that are made without consensus, which is a really bad precedent to set in a fantasy league.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
The method. There seems to be an increasing amount of decisions that are made without consensus, which is a really bad precedent to set in a fantasy league.
I don't think you appreciate the difficulty of running a league and keeping it competitive and engaging. "Increasing amount of decisions" includes what exactly? Number of keepers and the proposed re-distribution draft? Anything else?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:52 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Those are two really big ass decisions, Xio.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Then let's re-vote. Simple as that. It's going to end up being either 8, 9, or 10 anyway. Re-vote on distribution draft also.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-26-2014, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

We can re-vote in the re-distribution draft, but first there has to be an alternative idea for fixing the competitiveness problem.

I just went back and read the conversation from when I pitched the idea. No one spoke out against it. GF, D, Brodeur, Prince and Yoda all expressly approved. The reasoning behind it is very sound. It's a good way to extend the life of this league without requiring the stable, contending teams to give up their own best players.

I'm seriously asking — What is the alternative?

Last edited by Xiomera : 01-26-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally I agreed with your line of thinking and was fine with it. Keeper wise I didn't really care as much because well I have some decent keepers. If you want to make it more competitive then 8 is the lowest I'd go as I already have to many hard decisions in that regard.

sig by BoneKrusher
Closed Thread