Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Fantasy > Fantasy Baseball

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
OK, this is my official proposal for the re-distribution draft. If it contradicts with previous posts I've made, just bear with me please. I drew this up in response to some of the concerns that were voiced this morning by many of you. I believe it is a superior and fairer version of anything previously pitched.

As some have pointed out, it does probably make the most sense to have Prince and Yoda retain at least a small portion of their current teams. Let's have them each choose four of their current players to carry over.

Hypothetically, I see them retaining these players:
Prince Ferndandez, Segura, Cole, Hosmer
Yoda Pujols, Cain, Craig, Molina

Round 1:
1. Irish
2. TBD
3. Yoda
4. Prince

Rounds 2-5, Irish and TBD take turns picking players from the remaining pool, while Prince and Yoda's four retained players apiece will slot in as their selections for these rounds.

Through five rounds, you'd be looking at something like this:

Rounds 6 through 9 just go snake order to fill out the remainder of their 9 keepers apiece.

I think that addresses every concern that was expressed about how the players would be re-distributed among the four teams. It doesn't give Yoda and Prince a massive boost, but it does give them one elite player, plus added depth. Thoughts?
Difference between Irish's team and PF's is humongus.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
But you'd have to be crazy to keep a minor leaguer.

Look it's really not that complicated. There are 30 roster spots (which I've said before is way too many, but whatever). There is literally no way you're going to regularly use 30 guys, which means that storing prospects is the way to go.

But how many guys are really keeper-worthy before they've even played a full season? So what's the point?

30 guys is way too damn much, but if we're going to have that deep of a bench a prospect spot only makes sense.
Totally agree.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
But you'd have to be crazy to keep a minor leaguer.

Look it's really not that complicated. There are 30 roster spots (which I've said before is way too many, but whatever). There is literally no way you're going to regularly use 30 guys, which means that storing prospects is the way to go.

But how many guys are really keeper-worthy before they've even played a full season? So what's the point?

30 guys is way too damn much, but if we're going to have that deep of a bench a prospect spot only makes sense.
30 is NOT too large for roster size. It's really stupid having good, fantasy-relevant players sitting on the free agent list. And reducing the roster sizes would make that the case.

We don't want people to be randomly rewarded too often for finding a non-drafted free agent that emerges to contribute huge things.

Reducing the roster size is not a consideration. We want this to be a deep league that rewards you for having depth.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let me clarify something — During the season, we will have NA slots, which allows you to slot in a minor league player (or a player on a bereavement list temporarily) so he doesn't use up a regular roster spot while he isn't playing MLB games.

The question up for discussion was whether we should have a prospect keeper, which would be independent of the 9 keepers apiece. BF and Jug brought it up, so we're talking though the ramifications of potentially adding one.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
30 is NOT too large for roster size. It's really stupid having good, fantasy-relevant players sitting on the free agent list. And reducing the roster sizes would make that the case.

We don't want people to be randomly rewarded too often for finding a non-drafted free agent that emerges to contribute huge things.

Reducing the roster size is not a consideration. We want this to be a deep league that rewards you for having depth.
Yeah, I agree with you. Roster size is perfect.

Part I agreed with BF is that prospects aren't usually keeper worthy for top teams, so having a prospect slot is meaningful. That said, this is all late in the discussion. I went charging for 2nd place, so I don't have prospects on my team. I'm fine with a prospect keeper slot in the future, but right now we should make the keeper setting at 10 and 9+1 in the future.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Let me clarify something During the season, we will have NA slots, which allows you to slot in a minor league player (or a player on a bereavement list temporarily) so he doesn't use up a regular roster spot while he isn't playing MLB games.

The question up for discussion was whether we should have a prospect keeper, which would be independent of the 9 keepers apiece. BF and Jug brought it up, so we're talking though the ramifications of potentially adding one.
For the future, that's nice. But for now, we should make it 10.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Do we need to have an official vote for the number of 2014 keepers?

There would be three choices:
1) 9 keepers
2) 10 keepers
3) 9 keepers, plus one player that's acceptably considered a prospect (this would get tricky to legislate)
Old 01-27-2014, 02:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Do we need to have an official vote for the number of 2014 keepers?

There would be three choices:
1) 9 keepers
2) 10 keepers
3) 9 keepers, plus one player that's acceptably considered a prospect (this would get tricky to legislate)
10 keepers.

9+1 was talked about, but not finalized before the season ended. I have no prospect and had no reason to plan for it.

Choice 3 is basically the same as Choice 2.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Everyone just vote. Let's get this out of the way. Disregard every previous discussion about how many keepers we would go with. The consensus changed repeatedly throughout the season, which we will not allow to happen for future seasons.

Three choices for 2014:
1) 9 keepers
2) 10 keepers
Old 01-27-2014, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

9 keepers.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

10 keepers.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-27-2014, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Brodeur said 9 keepers. He's at work.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:48 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I vote 9 + 1 cause if D is going in for himself, so am I.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also have no problem with 9 + 1 once we define what is a prospect. Because by the actual playing limits that most places use for prospects, I have zero.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I prefer 10.

However, IF there was a good way to legislate who is eligible as a "prospect keeper," I would support that option.

Still need to hear from KCJ.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

(Side note: I sent a PM to Yo yesterday because he has not chimed in at all through any of this. He was pretty inactive in 2013, though very active in 2012. I asked him what his intentions are for staying in this league. Awaiting word. It's possible he will need replacing, in which case, I have no idea how we would handle that. Hoping he is on-board and committed still.)
Old 01-27-2014, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A prospect is someone with less than 50 IP or 130 ABs.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-27-2014, 02:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I prefer 10.

However, IF there was a good way to legislate who is eligible as a "prospect keeper," I would support that option.

Still need to hear from KCJ.
If it's the rookie limits, then it's not good. If there is room for stretch, then ok.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:59 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

9+1, and just let me and TBD take a prospect each at the end of the redistribution draft.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
A prospect is someone with less than 50 IP or 130 ABs.
That is correct. we could be willing to expand the definition (possibly doubling those numbers), but I don't think guys like Wil Myers, Yasiel Puig, Jurickson Profar can be rightly defined as prospects, so many people will obviously be left without someone that fits those parameters.

It's a problem.

We could, however, do what Irish just suggested and let everyone who doesn't have a prospect-label player choose one, not as part of the full league draft.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:00 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have like 3-4 keeper worthy guys (Xander, Miguel Sano, Jameson Taillon, I think someone else...) You guys can just have one.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
That is correct. we could be willing to expand the definition (possibly doubling those numbers), but I don't think guys like Wil Myers, Yasiel Puig, Jurickson Profar can be rightly defined as prospects, so many people will obviously be left without someone that fits those parameters.

It's a problem.
The guy won ROY there is no way in the world he's considered a prospect. If we do prospect thing it has to be 50/130 or we shouldn't do it at all. If a few teams don't have then we would have to grandfather in the player on their team with lowest total.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-27-2014, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I drafted Oscar Taveras in the FIRST ROUND of last year's draft, so I'd prefer that to have not been a complete and total waste. I know I led the charge to reduce keepers to restore competitive balance though.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

It's a problem.
I'm fine not qualifying Puig a "prospect".
Old 01-27-2014, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:

It's a problem.

We could, however, do what Irish just suggested and let everyone who doesn't have a prospect-label player choose one, not as part of the full league draft.
The closest I have is Wheeler (100 IP) and Yelich (240 ABs). If one of them could be considered a prospect I'm down for 9 + 1.
Closed Thread