Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Fantasy > Fantasy Baseball

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Yeah it was definitely up for vote. What's wrong with it?

I would guess that if you disagree with it you think that xio is getting the better end of the deal, as Bell is rated a little higher than Scherzer on most sites. But Bell wasn't going to do me any good anyway because he was my only closer and that wouldn't normally get me enough saves anyway. I also think most people have Scherzer a little undervalued.
I saw it. I didn't vote against it.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:35 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, if you guys wanted to veto that trade, you would veto every ******* trade there is...
Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop View Post
Yeah, if you guys wanted to veto that trade, you would veto every ******* trade there is...
Jughead vetoed it. Whaddajerk. BF too! For even thinkin' it!

....now about my offer yoda.... whaddaya say???
Old 03-28-2012, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop View Post
Not really. I always let a ton of trades through. Fantasy wise I don't think it is even. Yo even admitted by saying he is basically giving up on saves. In the real world, of course you take Mad Max over a one inning reliever. But in fantasy saves, wins, etc are all even. And there are basically only 30 players who can get you saves, and Bell is top 10 in the field in my opinion. Pitchers like Scherzer are more abundant. Supply and demand mofo's. Yo devalued his commodity and Xio took advantage of that either knowingly or unknowingly.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You'd expect me to say this, but I think it's a very fair trade. There was no negotiation required. It serves Yo and I both pretty well for what we were seeking.

They're ranked within 14 spots by ESPN (Scherzer 131, Bell 145): http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/ba...bdk2k12_top300

(It was open for vetoing for 2 full days, BF. You must have been sleeping).
Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
You'd expect me to say this, but I think it's a very fair trade. There was no negotiation required. It serves Yo and I both pretty well for what we were seeking.

They're ranked within 14 spots by ESPN (Scherzer 131, Bell 145): http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/ba...bdk2k12_top300

(It was open for vetoing for 2 full days, BF. You must have been sleeping).
Maybe I'm off on it then, I dunno. Is that list from a points league? Because I just can't see how in a roto league Scherzer is a better player. I'm not really complaining about it to be honest, I was just answering BF's question about him missing it by letting him know I rejected it. Because it sounded like he wants to as well.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Maybe I'm off on it then, I dunno. Is that list from a points league? Because I just can't see how in a roto league Scherzer is a better player. I'm not really complaining about it to be honest, I was just answering BF's question about him missing it by letting him know I rejected it. Because it sounded like he wants to as well.
No, that's the Top 300 list for ESPN Standard Roto Leagues, which are no different than ours besides using batting average instead on on-base percentage (not applicable here).

If a trade like this draws multiple veto votes, then I don't see anything going through this year. Not only is it preseason still (no current stats), but there's a mere 14 spots between them. I know closers are of value because there are a limited number of them, but roughly the 12th best closer should be comparable to roughly the 25-30th best starter.

Last edited by Xiomera : 03-28-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I'm seeking a backup 2nd baseman if anyone has one.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
No, that's the Top 300 list for ESPN Standard Roto Leagues, which are no different than ours besides using batting average instead on on-base percentage (not applicable here).

If a trade like this draws multiple veto votes, then I don't see anything going through this year. Not only is it preseason still (no current stats), but there's a mere 14 spots between them. I know closers are of value because there are a limited number of them, but roughly the 12th best closer should be comparable to roughly the 25-30th best starter.
Well I think he is better than the 12th best closer. Who else has gotten 40 plus saves 3 years on a row on a bad team. I guess I don't agree with either of those rankings.

Last edited by Jughead10 : 03-28-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Well I think he is better than the 12th best closer. Who else has gotten 40 plus saves 3 years on a row on a bad team.
It's debatable, but if you read fantasy analysts' opinions, many of them are down on Bell this year as he leaves Petco. I wanted a closer, I'm willing to ignore that.

As a rule of thumb with approving/vetoing trades, I think it's best to remove personal opinion of how much better or worse a player is compared to what the consensus rank is for them (as long as there's no looming injury or something). That ESPN list is a pretty fair barometer, in my opinion (At least it's an impartial reference).
Old 03-28-2012, 03:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I'm mostly gonna laugh when Yo realizes his strategy will backfire once he eats up his max innings. NO CLOSERS FTW!!!!

But hey, at least he has 12 starting pitchers now.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I'm mostly gonna laugh when Yo realizes his strategy will backfire once he eats up his max innings. NO CLOSERS FTW!!!!

There's potential for that, but at the same time, doesn't that just give him some great trade chips? His rotation is stacked. He could deal them away for a closer or two at midseason and make up ground in the category.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
There's potential for that, but at the same time, doesn't that just give him some great trade chips? His rotation is stacked. He could deal them away for a closer or two at midseason and make up ground in the category.
You mean like a Max Scherzer for Heath Bell type of trade?
Old 03-28-2012, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
You mean like a Max Scherzer for Heath Bell type of trade?
Hypothetically, I don't see why not. We saw trades in the WAR league like that pretty frequently to get people through bye weeks. Similar concepts, though Yo and I never had discussion of such a thing.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Then why do the trade in the first place.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Then why do the trade in the first place.
I was speaking hypothetically to address D-Unit's point. I'm not going to speak for Yo, but isn't what I said true? He could just as easily trade an excess starter for any positional need that arises through the long season.

Yo said above that having 1 closer when basically everyone else has 3 (or 6 if you're D-Unit) does him no good. Is that also not true?

Whatever. Let's move on. Someone should make a new trade so we can discuss that one to death (sarcasm).

Last edited by Xiomera : 03-28-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Yeah, let's move on.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you guys not understand that Heath Bell was for all intents and purposes useless to me? His saves would be irrelevant, effectively making him a middle reliever for me which are easy as hell to pick off the waiver wire. I don't get what's complicated about this.

The process of voting on trades is pretty stupid to me anyway, unless there is obvious collusion going on which is pretty rare.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Do you guys not understand that Heath Bell was for all intents and purposes useless to me? His saves would be irrelevant, effectively making him a middle reliever for me which are easy as hell to pick off the waiver wire. I don't get what's complicated about this.
I get that. But because he's useless to you doesn't mean he has no value. I know I'm in the minority here, which is fine because the trade deserves to go through then. But the notion that because he is useless to you it doesn't matter, is ridiculous. He still has value.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Who says he can't just pick up good set-up men to help with ERA/WHIP and just completely punt saves? Of course, that puts a lot of pressure on the rest of your team, but still. That strategy has worked before for people.

Not to mention that Scherzer has 200 strikeout potential.. it's even both ways imo.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:16 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I get that. But because he's useless to you doesn't mean he has no value. I know I'm in the minority here, which is fine because the trade deserves to go through then. But the notion that because he is useless to you it doesn't matter, is ridiculous. He still has value.

And I got the value I wanted in return. Xio was the only one who expressed an interest in him, I picked the guy I wanted and we were done.

It's not like I just decided I didn't need him so I would give him away for anything.

Last edited by yo123 : 03-28-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:16 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think he means useless in the sense that he got what he deemed to be equal value in return for him, so his saves mean nothing to him when balancing what he got back for Bell
Old 03-28-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Who says he can't just pick up good set-up men to help with ERA/WHIP and just completely punt saves? Of course, that puts a lot of pressure on the rest of your team, but still. That strategy has worked before for people.

Not to mention that Scherzer has 200 strikeout potential.. it's even both ways imo.

Thank you. 100% correct.

Haha I didn't expect anywhere near this amount of discussion on this trade.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Xio's SWDC Fantasy Baseball League: The only fantasy league on the planet where a basic 1-for-1 trade gets discussed for 2 pages. I love it.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Xio's SWDC Fantasy Baseball League: The only fantasy league on the planet where a basic 1-for-1 trade gets discussed for 2 pages. I love it.
Well it is slow. There are no games yet. At least real games. And for the record I'm not upset by any means. I like the discussion more than anything.
Closed Thread