Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who would you build around?
Darrelle Revis 27 31.40%
Haloti Ngata 21 24.42%
Jason Pierre-Paul 11 12.79%
Patrick Willis 15 17.44%
DeMarcus Ware 5 5.81%
Clay Matthews 0 0%
Terrell Suggs 0 0%
Ndamukong Suh 4 4.65%
Mario Williams 0 0%
Other 3 3.49%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default If you were building a defense...

Who would you take first? On offense it is way more clearcut since everyone would to take a QB if all players were available. On defense it gets much more interesting when you factor in scheme and what you value more. Some would want a shutdown cover guy, some a playmaking safety you have to spot before every snap, some a dynamic edge guy, some a force in the middle, and others a linebacker who doesn't have to leave no matter what the situation.

With a new generation of defensive stars coming in and many older ones still going strong, I think this would be a cool way to gauge who people would build their defense around if they could start with anyone in the league. Pretend you don't have a defensive scheme in place, who are you picking to build around. You can favor a specific scheme as a fan and pick for it, if your favorite team runs mainly 4-3 don't let that prevent you from picking someone who is more of a 3-4 guy.

Here are the guys that I would say deserve the most consideration by tier. This is how I would put them-

Tier 1. The Total Package: A lot of talent and a lot of years in front of them.

Jason Pierre-Paul: JPP has it all, and the scary thing is most people think he can still get better. Freakish size, length, and athleticism combined with a motor and moves. Probably every offensive lineman's worst nightmare in football right now.

Darrelle Revis: Everybody knows what Revis can do, he has been doing it for four or five years and still has a lot of years in front of him. There are a lot of guys who can get to the quarterback, but there really is only one guy like Revis in the NFL.

DeMarcus Ware: Ware might be the consitently dominant player in the league. He is going to impact the game in a big way at some point, and there is no stopping it. If you are looking for a 3-4 outside linebacker, your search ends with Ware. He is no spring chicken anymore, but ask anyone around the league if he looks like he is slowing down anytime soon.

Patrick Willis: You would be hard pressed to find a hole in Willis' game, he is a freak of nature who can do it all and is a leader and intimidator. However, most people would agree that non-pass rushing linebackers don't have as much value as other positions.

Haloti Ngata does things a man his size simply should not be allowed to do. He is 340 pounds and moves around like a linebacker. He is dominant against the run and the pass, and he will beat you if you don't double team him at a minimum.

Terrell Suggs: It feels like Suggs has been in the league forever, but he still has a lot of years in front of him. Injury pushes the reigning DPOtY down a little, but there isn't a team in the league who give near anything to have him.

Clay Matthews: Intense edge guy who has the ability to completely take over a game for 60 minutes, just ask Jay Cutler and J'Marcus Webb.

Tier 2: Close, but not quite there. These guys are all impact defenders either in their primes or entering them, but are they elite?
-Trent Cole
-Ndamukong Suh
-Justin Tuck
-Tamba Hali
-Kyle Williams
-Vince Wilfork
-Eric Berry
-Mario Williams
-Brandon Flowers
-Darnell Dockett
-Tramon Williams
-LaMarr Woodley
-Cam Wake
-Nnamdi Asomugha
-Malcolm Jemkins
-Elvis Dumervil
-NaVorro Bowman
-Earl Thomas
-Randy Starks
-Jason Babin
-Brian Cushing
-Jerod Mayo
-Derrick Johnson
-Adrian Wilson

Tier 3: The Vets: These guys are feared and have produced for years, but they are a little longer in the tooth
-Ray Lewis
-Jared Allen
-Dwight Freeney
-Ed Reed
-Justin Smith
-Julius Peppers
-Troy Polamalu
-Brian Urlacher
-Kevin Williams
-Charles Woodson
-Robert Mathis
-London Fletcher
-James Harrison
-Champ Bailey
-Lance Briggs
-Richard Seymour

Tier 4: The Next Generation: These guys have the talent and hype to be elite, but they are still not quite there
-Von Miller
-BJ Raji
-Calais Campbell
-Chris Long
-Patrick Peterson
-JJ Watt
-Sean Lee
-Daryl Washington
-Marcel Dareus
-Sean Weatherspoon
-Robert Quinn
-Geno Atkins
-Kam Chancellor
-Mark Barron
-Joe Haden
-Lawrence Timmons

It looks like a lot of names, but there really are a lot of people missing who could be on the list. If there are any players missing who you think should be on there, bring 'em up.

So the guy I am picking is Ngata. Just an absolutely dominant force who eats space, can pressure the QB, and forces you to run away from him. I almost went with JPP but I think Ngata is the most dominating force on any NFL defense and will be for the forseeable future. Next for me would be JPP then P-Willie.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Calais Campbell is the best 3-4 DL in the NFL. Figured you would know that after last week

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Toss-up between Ngata and Justin Smith. I would lean towards Ngata because he is four years younger.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:58 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Revis first then JPP for me. I just think the difference between him and the next best cover corner is bigger than the difference between the 1 and 2 guys at any other position.

By my count the Jets are the only team to finish top 6 in the league against the pass the last three years and that's without much else to be impressed with in the secondary.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Calais Campbell is the best 3-4 DL in the NFL. Figured you would know that after last week
I was stuck on where to put him, I had him in tiers 1, 3, and 4. I put him in 4 but it was really between elite and the young guys on the verge. He's at the top of that tier though and you could definitely make the case for him being a top 10 player, I would still take Ngata personally but Campbell spanked us last week.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I took Ngata. That man is just incredible.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Still not quite on Ngata and Smith's level, but getting close.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:10 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quite frankly I think it's debatable at this point, JJ Watt right there with em

Old 09-18-2012, 09:12 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have to go Revis just because of the gap between himself and the next best corner. We all see how many passrushers are on here, with that in mind you would still take one over the best cover corner in the league? I'd go Revis then best versatile down lineman, one who play both DE and OLB or DE and DT. The problem with JPP for me is his position is strictly off the edge from a 4-3, thats where hes best. Not knocking him as a player at all but when you're building a D, its something you keep in mind.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Give me Revis. I'd sleep better at night knowing that he could limit the top option of any team's passing attack.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:17 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Forgive me for using a Madden scale, I don't even play and I don't know what they are in the game, but here is how I would rate them numerically

Smith - 100
Ngata - 99
Campbell - 97
Watt - 95
Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

99 99 99 98

Add in Smith's age and you prob throw his name out when building a team, then you debate if you want Ngata(28), Campbell(26) or Watt(23)

Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haloti Ngata. Starts up front.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gotta go Pat Willis. Best all around defender in the league, great leader, makes everyone around him so much better. The 49ers built a defense around him, and they now have the best defense in the league.

Gotta consider age in this whole thing...I wouldnt want to start a franchise with anyone older than Pat Willis.

JPP Id put near the top, same with Clay, great pass-rushers who are very young and still getting better. Ngata, he will be great for a long time still. Definitely not Suggs, Suh or Super Mario.
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Have to go Revis just because of the gap between himself and the next best corner. We all see how many passrushers are on here, with that in mind you would still take one over the best cover corner in the league? I'd go Revis then best versatile down lineman, one who play both DE and OLB or DE and DT. The problem with JPP for me is his position is strictly off the edge from a 4-3, thats where hes best. Not knocking him as a player at all but when you're building a D, its something you keep in mind.
Im pretty sure JPP is athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB
Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy Picks View Post
Im pretty sure JPP is athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB
Not denying that but a guy like Suggs brings a better package of DE/OLB despite what we may think JPP can do, we know Suggs can play both at an All Pro level.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For me it's between Ngata and Willis both who will anchor your front 7.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Darelle Revis- Just put him on the opposing teams number one receiver and let him do this thing

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll take literally the most athletic person in the nfl.

Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Not denying that but a guy like Suggs brings a better package of DE/OLB despite what we may think JPP can do, we know Suggs can play both at an All Pro level.
Suggs is too old to be the guy Id start a franchise with. JPP is young, already elite and still getting better. no contest who id rather have long-term on my team.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:08 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post

Not taking anything away from Willis, but he may not even be the most athletic guy on his own team. Vernon Davis is an absolute freak of nature.

As far as this question goes, it's tough, but i'd also go with Revis. All those top guys are elite and the best at their job, but guys of Revis' caliber come around very rarely. Just look at the list of top CBs the past few years. Every different year there is different guys in the top five, but Revis has remained number one. Tough to do that at that position.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:12 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going with P-Willie. You get the leader of a defense and a beast on D for years to come.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went with Revis. Arguably the most dominant individual player in the league and plays a high value position.

Don't really understand why people are voting for Willis.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:19 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, i don't either. There might be ten guys i'd take before i'd go with Willis.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post

is this one of those times when someone uses the word literally entirely wrong?