Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Tannenhill the #3 Overall Pick?

Can Minnesota trade the #3 pick for a QB hungry team?

I think the Flynn market will help sort out the crazed QB hunting.

There are 3 team looking for a QB (assuming Manning goes to Denver) in Miami, Seattle and Cleveland. Let's assume that Seattle signs Flynn, leaving Miami and Cleveland.

Miami would be thinking that Cleveland can go Tannenhill at #4 (heck, nobody thought Ponder/Locker would go so high) and trade with Minnesota to lock up a franchise QB, Mike Sherman is the key. I don't think they want to wait till round 2 for a Cousins/Weeden. Another option would be is star crazed owner Stephen Ross would want Tebow.

Just trying to get some dialogue
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless Minnesota gets an offer way too good to pass up, it would be highly unlikely. Their need of a LT is well known and Kalil seems to be a franchise LT in the making.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot to be settled via free agency, but Tannehill in the Top 5 is a possibility.

At the very least it's getting harder and harder to imagine Tannehill escaping the Top 10.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:03 AM    (permalink
FordFairlane
Rookie

FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good. The more QB's taken ahead of the Steelers means the more players left on the board for them. :) I think Foles and Osweiler should go in the top 20 too.
FordFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:35 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The current chatter certainly has him going top 12. As the league moves more and more towards flagfootball rules and the resulting aerial attack, it's clear that QB is the most important cog. Teams simply have to push QBs up the board to secure one in the draft and have to keep tossing the darts until they're lucky or right.

The talk is even pushing Weeden into the tail end of round one. It's sounding pretty similar to last year, actually. At this point I won't be surprised to see 4 QBs in round one.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Last edited by FlyingElvis : 03-13-2012 at 11:15 AM.
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Make no mistake about it friends, the Chiefs are every bit as QB needy as the other teams listed. If Tannehill was there at 11 I'd love him in KC.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Blackmon and Claiborne are off the board when the Rams pick @ 6, I'd be intrigued by the idea of the Rams trading down again with a team interested in Tannehill.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:00 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
The current chatter certainly has him going top 12. As the league moves more and more towards flagfootball rules and the resulting arial attack, it's clear that QB is the most important cog. Teams simply have to push QBs up the board to secure one in the draft and have to keep tossing the darts until they're lucky or right.

The talk is even pushing Weeden into the tail end of round one. It's sounding pretty similar to last year, actually. At this point I won't be surprised to see 4 QBs in round one.
I don't think the Vikings can afford to pass up on Kalil. They should sign Winston in FA as well.

I completely agree with you. I really wish they would revert the rules back to stop from having such inflated passing stats and rules that heavily favor the offense.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 AM    (permalink
Steady Lurkin
Rookie

Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've got a feeling one of the teams tries to trade up in front of MIA.

Last edited by Steady Lurkin : 03-13-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Steady Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
I don't think the Vikings can afford to pass up on Kalil. They should sign Winston in FA as well.
I agree having Winston would be great but we have too many holes on the team to pay him the sort of top RT money he is going to get, especially when we have a serviceable option in Loadholt. If our talent level was better, I'd love to see it, but at this point we have too many needs.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:13 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He would be a good fit with the Bills too but I have heard that Buffalo would scoop up Reiff if he was available at 10. Depending on how the Peyton to Denver thing pans out I wouldn't be shocked if Buffalo made a play for Tebow.

I can't wait for the dominoes to start falling - once Peyton and Flynn find their new homes the QB picture will either get clearer or murkier. I love this time of year.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber21 View Post
I agree having Winston would be great but we have too many holes on the team to pay him the sort of top RT money he is going to get, especially when we have a serviceable option in Loadholt. If our talent level was better, I'd love to see it, but at this point we have too many needs.
Dually noted. Do you still think Kalil will be your guys top pick? I think o-line, secondary and primary WR are your biggest needs.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
If Blackmon and Claiborne are off the board when the Rams pick @ 6, I'd be intrigued by the idea of the Rams trading down again with a team interested in Tannehill.
Or how 'bout you give us #6 and your 3rd rounder and we'll give you the rights to Blackmon at #4? ;D
Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Dually noted. Do you still think Kalil will be your guys top pick? I think o-line, secondary and primary WR are your biggest needs.
Those are certainly our top needs, and it would seem Kalil has to be the pick. We cannot fill all our holes this off season alone, but protecting Ponder should be, and seems like it will be, priority #1.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:21 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
At the very least it's getting harder and harder to imagine Tannehill escaping the Top 10.
as will farrell said in zoolander I feel like im taking crazy pills

this player has done nothing, all spring, to justify a top 10 selection.

he beat NOrthwestern in the Mainake Car Care Bowl. BFD.

don't get me wrong I like Tannehill... in late 1 or early 2. but he missed SB he missed Indy his stock isn't going up. It's going down.

and let me add a side note the Rams will regret trading away from Kalil and if the Vikings do as well, they will regret it too. I've done the 3 round mock drafts, the only place you're getting a true day 1 starter at LT is in the top 5. all these other guys, be it Reiff, Martin, Adams etc are gambles. If that position is a need (and it is for the Rams and Vikings) it's dumb to trade away from him. i don't think there's a top 3 tackle next year, certainly not one with a pro bowl brother already in the league.

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Last edited by bitonti : 03-13-2012 at 11:23 AM.
bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
I'd be intrigued by the idea of the Rams trading down again with a team interested in Tannehill.
ideally, the Rams can keep trading down and never take anyone. That way they will have a million picks. and no talent.

JMO RG3 will be the best player in the Rg3 trade. and it won't be close. The rams might get a couple starters, a guard here, a corner there, but It's alot harder to get pro bowlers at 6 than at 2. They aren't gonna find a left tackle to start day 1.

And if they were being honest with themselves, they'd sit tight and take RG3. Cause Bradford is a fabrege egg... or take Kalil to protect that egg. Instead they are going with Saffold at LT again? bad idea jeans.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Steady Lurkin
Rookie

Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

don't get me wrong I like Tannehill... in late 1 or early 2. but he missed SB he missed Indy his stock isn't going up. It's going down.

and let me add a side note the Rams will regret trading away from Kalil and if the Vikings do as well, they will regret it too. I've done the 3 round mock drafts, the only place you're getting a true day 1 starter at LT is in the top 5. all these other guys, be it Reiff, Martin, Adams etc are gambles. If that position is a need (and it is for the Rams and Vikings) it's dumb to trade away from him. i don't think there's a top 3 tackle next year, certainly not one with a pro bowl brother already in the league.
"Stock up" and "stock down" are terms used for guys who there generally hasn't been a lot of exposure to.

Everything we've heard (since early in the CFB season, no less) is that the NFL scouts love Tannehill. His stock isn't going up OR down. I'd argue it's static - right where it has been throughout most of the season.

I think the whole idea of guys "moving up" or "moving down" is a complete fallacy anyways. It usually just means "a scout finally talked to the media about this player", or a "we need to double check on this guy, because his scheme kinda hid him" guy a la Stephen Hill.

Put it like this...we know he can throw. We know he can run. So what where we really going to learn about him in workouts anyways?

Last edited by Steady Lurkin : 03-13-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:36 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Or how 'bout you give us #6 and your 3rd rounder and we'll give you the rights to Blackmon at #4? ;D
No deal, Howie!

Quote:
ideally, the Rams can keep trading down and never take anyone. That way they will have a million picks. and no talent.

JMO RG3 will be the best player in the Rg3 trade. and it won't be close. The rams might get a couple starters, a guard here, a corner there, but It's alot harder to get pro bowlers at 6 than at 2. They aren't gonna find a left tackle to start day 1.

And if they were being honest with themselves, they'd sit tight and take RG3. Cause Bradford is a fabrege egg... or take Kalil to protect that egg. Instead they are going with Saffold at LT again? bad idea jeans.
Maybe he will be, but the reality of the situation is the Rams weren't parting with Bradford and couldn't pass up a monster trade package. I like Kalil, but IMO, he's not worth passing up two additional first round picks and a second rounder this year.

Plus, as I said before, if Blackmon or Claiborne are still on the board at six, I'd prefer to stay there and make the pick. But if the Rams' options at six comes down to Richardson and some lineman of questionable value, then I think another trade down becomes more appealing.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The idea of guys stock going up or down is just where they are viewed by the media and the public. When a guy goes from a fringe 1st rounder to a top 10 pick despite not doing much if any working out in the predraft process it's because the NFL viewed the guy as a top 10 pick all along and the media is just starting to find that little secret out. This applies to all players, not just Tannehill. Tannehill I think was always viewed by NFL people as a likely top 10 or top 12 pick.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Steady Lurkin
Rookie

Quote:
The idea of guys stock going up or down is just where they are viewed by the media and the public. When a guy goes from a fringe 1st rounder to a top 10 pick despite not doing much if any working out in the predraft process it's because the NFL viewed the guy as a top 10 pick all along and the media is just starting to find that little secret out. This applies to all players, not just Tannehill. Tannehill I think was always viewed by NFL people as a likely top 10 or top 12 pick.
Winner winner.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

They're all crazy to be talking Tannehill as the #3 pick but we've seen how teams will roll the dice on a QB even if it means they are setting themselves up to get burned. I just keep thinking of the David Carrs, Joey Harringtons and Akili Smiths of the world. Tannehill might turn out to be a good NFL QB but to take him over guys with much higher rankings personally makes no sense to me.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the big factor is the new CBA. While you give up a lot in terms of draft picks (which is dumb, as well, to some degree) you don't get financially handicapped by the bust anymore. Now that the double whammy is gone, teams are more willing to make the big move to secure the QB.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:53 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Lurkin View Post
Winner winner.
Quote:

I like the logic with you guys. +++ rep all around
Old 03-13-2012, 12:55 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
I think the big factor is the new CBA. While you give up a lot in terms of draft picks (which is dumb, as well, to some degree) you don't get financially handicapped by the bust anymore. Now that the double whammy is gone, teams are more willing to make the big move to secure the QB.
Yes!! Taking a QB early (or any position for that matter) will not impede a team down the road as much if they do not pan out.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 PM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Lurkin View Post
"Stock up" and "stock down" are terms used for guys who there generally hasn't been a lot of exposure to.

Everything we've heard (since early in the CFB season, no less) is that the NFL scouts love Tannehill. His stock isn't going up OR down. I'd argue it's static - right where it has been throughout most of the season.
this is an interesting perspective. I can check the BLESTO and National rankings after work. Im not convinced that Tannehill was graded out _that_ highly. But I will check.