Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall

It seems that his projection is the mid to late 2nd round, but am I the only one who sees him creeping into the end of the 1st?

I have a feeling that he's considered a better prospect amongst teams vs what the tv scouts are saying.

When I see Curry, I see a guy with very good measurables, good technique, and a relentless motor.

He has arguably the best first step and is probably the most explosive DE in this draft class, he has great speed, long enough arms, and he's scheme diverse.

I don't understand how a guy like Upshaw is rated ahead of him. His pro day makes more sense than his combine 40. He put on a good 20 lbs before the combine, and it's obvious to me his body wasn't ready for that much weight just yet. He still had very impressive 3 cone and 20 yard numbers at the combine, but I think he needed a couple more weeks to get his top end speed back after putting on that weight.

Your 1st step means everything as a pass rusher, and this guy explodes off the line. He's not lazy at all, I love his motor. He needs to work on his run defense, and he can work on his power slip, but I think he has all the tools you look for and I think he's going to be a great pro.

I haven't scouted all the pass rushers yet, but out of Curry, Couples, and Upshaw, I like Curry the most of the 3.

I haven't scouted Ingram, Whitney or Perry yet.

I have a feeling Curry is going to sneak into the 1st round though and surprise people as a "reach" but I don't view him as a 1st round reach at all.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:04 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've had Curry rated as a late 1st-mid 2nd, you don't find players as productive as he was at Marshall even if it was against less talent. Curry isn't a great athlete, but has the skills and pass moves to be able to make an impact in the NFL. I think the Colts 2nd round pick is a good spot for him to land, fits the 3-4 scheme at OLB and can learn from Mathis as well.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You don't think he's a great athlete? Why? He's a 4.64 guy with the 3rd best 3 cone amongst DL at the combine.

6 3" 264lbs. 32" arms. He seems pretty athletic to me.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It seems that his projection is the mid to late 2nd round, but am I the only one who sees him creeping into the end of the 1st?

I have a feeling that he's considered a better prospect amongst teams vs what the tv scouts are saying.

When I see Curry, I see a guy with very good measurables, good technique, and a relentless motor.

He has arguably the best first step and is probably the most explosive DE in this draft class, he has great speed, long enough arms, and he's scheme diverse.

I don't understand how a guy like Upshaw is rated ahead of him. His pro day makes more sense than his combine 40. He put on a good 20 lbs before the combine, and it's obvious to me his body wasn't ready for that much weight just yet. He still had very impressive 3 cone and 20 yard numbers at the combine, but I think he needed a couple more weeks to get his top end speed back after putting on that weight.

Your 1st step means everything as a pass rusher, and this guy explodes off the line. He's not lazy at all, I love his motor. He needs to work on his run defense, and he can work on his power slip, but I think he has all the tools you look for and I think he's going to be a great pro.

I haven't scouted all the pass rushers yet, but out of Curry, Couples, and Upshaw, I like Curry the most of the 3.

I haven't scouted Ingram, Whitney or Perry yet.

I have a feeling Curry is going to sneak into the 1st round though and surprise people as a "reach" but I don't view him as a 1st round reach at all.
NO! Keep him a secret. I want him at the end of the 3rd with a comp pick for the Raiders.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like him. I'd be willing to take him late round 1.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

The more I think of it, Curry is the perfect wide 9 DE.

If you're a team that runs wide 9 and you need a DE, Curry fits the bill perfectly for what you look for in a wide 9 DE.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:18 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You don't think he's a great athlete? Why? He's a 4.64 guy with the 3rd best 3 cone amongst DL at the combine.

6 3" 264lbs. 32" arms. He seems pretty athletic to me.
I'm saying he isnt a freak athlete like JPP or Aldon Smith, but more a strong pass rusher and football player. He's an athlete don't get wrong, just not the top notch guys some teams look for at DE/OLB.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:19 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The more I think of it, Curry is the perfect wide 9 DE.

If you're a team that runs wide 9 and you need a DE, Curry fits the bill perfectly for what you look for in a wide 9 DE.
Ah, I remember the Raiders running a wide 9 with Burgess at LE and Sapp/Ted Washington in the middle. The other side was a revolving door--often it was Tyler Brayton.

One of the most memorable quotes in a preview was in regards to Burgess' placement on the line "And defensive end Derrick Burgess lines up far out on the end--wider than the waist of Ted Washington's pants"

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I like the wide 9, just not as an every down formation.

I'm surprised more teams don't run it on 3rd and long.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:42 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Blo doesn't go DE in first I'd love him at 41

Mario - Williams - Dareus - Curry

I'd think that'd be a sweet line.
redbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Keuchly in the 1st round, Curry in the 2nd round, Spence as an OLB in the 3rd round.

Those 3 picks would give the Bills a sick front 7 for years to come.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:47 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Keuchly in the 1st round, Curry in the 2nd round, Spence as an OLB in the 3rd round.

Those 3 picks would give the Bills a sick front 7 for years to come.
No way we go 2 lbers in the first 3 rounds.
Needs as of now in no order. RDE, LT(hope Bell resigns) , WR, SLB, CB
Old 03-17-2012, 06:49 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Quinton Coples
2. Zach Brown
3. Bobby Wagner

this would be nicer IMO

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:57 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like the wide 9, just not as an every down formation.

I'm surprised more teams don't run it on 3rd and long.

Imagine if the Eagles had kept Bunkley and signed Lofton this offseason? Those two would clean up any running game issues.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:37 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Imagine if the Eagles had kept Bunkley and signed Lofton this offseason? Those two would clean up any running game issues.
Yup. I told one of my close friends who's a diehard eagles fan that if they signed Lofton and drafted Poe their defense would be scary.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:42 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a late first/early second round type prospect (kinda like Jabaal Sheard last year).....but there are so many DEs and it'll be hard to fit them all in that first round. Coples, Ingram, Mercilus, Perry, and Upshaw will go before him, maybe even Branch. He'll be the 6th/7th DE taken and I think at worst he's a top 40 pick.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:29 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He does seem to be sliding a bit. If he is like Sheard, that is a bad thing. He is a tweener, and will ahve to play 3-4 OLB. At this he is point not even 1st/2nd. I would put Chandler Jones and Whitney Mercilus in front of him. Simply 2nd round grade, trending to 2nd/3rd.

Quote:

People loved Kamerion Wimbley. News today is that he was cut, after a modest career, that did not justify a 1st round pick, much less the high pick they spent for him. Wimbley and Curry are comparable on the measurables, though Wimbley was better.

Measurables are Curry's problem, and explosion in particular. Perry has it and Curry does not. The Shuttle time is mediocre, but he does have an outstanding 3 cone, which helps explain his success as a pass rusher. Add a good motor and technique, and you get an overachiever.

J

Last edited by onejayhawk : 03-18-2012 at 12:51 AM.
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:22 AM    (permalink
TheSlinger
Rookie

TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree wholeheartedly with OP's assessment, especially his first step and explosiveness. He's a very fluid athlete too. He's the rawest of the top DE prospects in my opinion but he also has the highest ceiling. Of all the DEs in this class I think he's the only one who has the potential to be up among the league leaders in sacks. I see him as mid-1st value.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One of my favorite players in this draft...hope he ends up a Jet...I think he'll be a productive pass rusher. Pauline said the Jets have alot of interest...that's good.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

He'd be a great fit for the Jets.

I was hoping he'd be there for the Giants at the end of the 2nd, but I highly doubt it at this point.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbills View Post
No way we go 2 lbers in the first 3 rounds.
Needs as of now in no order. RDE, LT(hope Bell resigns) , WR, SLB, CB
Did I miss something? Mario signs with Bills. right? If so, he will be your RDE. Bills pay a lot of money to him just to play LDE. That is crazy.

back to topic, Curry looks good but I don't know if it is enough to warrant him a barely top 20 talents. If Branch is not a first round then Curry wont be top 20.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:22 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Did I miss something? Mario signs with Bills. right? If so, he will be your RDE. Bills pay a lot of money to him just to play LDE. That is crazy.

back to topic, Curry looks good but I don't know if it is enough to warrant him a barely top 20 talents. If Branch is not a first round then Curry wont be top 20.
I believe it's Mario's request to play LDE.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yep. That is true.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
essential
Rookie

essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, he played LDE in college and that is where he wants to be ... they have already publicly stated that is where he will be the majority of the time.

Quote:
"He said most of his college career and early on he was a left end, and that's where he was most comfortable," Wannstedt said. "At Houston they were trying to get him to the open side. He was standing up probably 50 percent of the time [last year]. There was a lot to think about, particularly the first year in the system."

"I'm a big believer that we're going to bring him in and we're going to put him at that left end, more than likely, and put his hand on the ground and make him a mainstay there," he said. "We've got to have him be a dominant position there in one spot."
I'm actually happy, I think it's easier to have a situational pass rusher like Curry playing on the right side, and still have Mario on the field all the time.
UDFA: Chris Burnette (OG) | FA: Jermaine Gresham (TE)

This is the NFL draft, not a boyscout draft.

essential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Curry is my 10th DE in this year's draft. He just isn't explosive enough to warrant a higher pick. He is relentless and gets by on a strong desire to play 110% all the time but he lacks any real pass rush moves off the edge.
He's a solid 2nd rounder who will definitely contribute for his team.