Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-17-2012, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa

I looked through the forum and didn't see any threads dedicated to him.
What exactly are we looking at here? Can he play LT at the next level? Are his 33 1/4" arms really that big of a deal? Who does he compare to that's currently in the league? I'm just trying to get a feel for what type of player he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:57 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reiff can definitely play LT at the next level, he's a very patient and technique sound pass blocker. I honestly like him more as a pass blocker than a run blocker, despite what a lot of the "experts" say. Really the only thing about his technique I want to correct is that he sometimes gets off balance with his counter-punch, and that's how he gave up the vast majority of his pressures in college. Not a killer instinct guy, but he's a plus pass blocker and run blocker.

The 33 1/4" arms aren't a big deal. They aren't even a negative. We've been spoiled by a bunch of OTs with tremendous arms, but an OT with 33" arms is like a WR who's 6'0"... it's not a plus, but it's not substandard and it's certainly good enough to get the job done. The thing you worry about more than the arm length is the body type, it's a little weirdly distributed compared to other OTs.

I don't personally like comparing guys to other players in the league. You're going to see a lot of people comparing him to Bulaga, Reiff is definitely a better blocker than Bulaga (better pass blocker at least, they're probably a push in the run game.) Reiff doesn't quite have Bulaga's best attribute (BB is a tremendous competitor, and refuses to lose, if you forced him to play CB he would compete with everything he's got.) I like Reiff quite a bit better than Martin or Adams, and I honestly don't think he's quite as far behind Kalil as a lot of people think he is.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:05 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reiff likely will go to either Buffalo or Arizona, slight chance KC takes a look at him as well.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:20 AM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
Reiff likely will go to either Buffalo or Arizona, slight chance KC takes a look at him as well.
I think with KC signing Eric Winston, Reiff is pretty much off the table for them unless we feel the need to trot out the tired "Chiefs need to move Albert to his natural position of LG" trope.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:43 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lots of people disagree with me, but I have a feeling a number of teams have him at OG and not OT.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:48 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I think with KC signing Eric Winston, Reiff is pretty much off the table for them unless we feel the need to trot out the tired "Chiefs need to move Albert to his natural position of LG" trope.
Considering Albert just came off his best season, it's not happening. The moment Winston moved the pen, Reiff was off their board.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:56 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGfortheTD View Post
Considering Albert just came off his best season, it's not happening. The moment Winston moved the pen, Reiff was off their board.
What he said. I guess the Chiefs are just going to have to pass on another Iowa Lineman! To give Scott credit though, he has had us taking Poe and not Reiff! <3

I do think that DeCastro might make the most sense now though.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:12 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best Tackle in this draft.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:32 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Leaving aside the typical Iowa comparisons, I somewhat see Michael Roos when I look at Reiff. Reiff is a bit shorter, but has longer arms (by a bit, I don't think people realize how short Roos' arms were ... unless my memory is fading on the numbers, pretty sure it was in the 32 range). That said, both are technically sound guys with good footwork. Neither, coming out, were viewed as these explosive players, but just sound all-around guys. Due to arm length, both had some questions tagged on them about whether or not they could stick at left tackle and contain/re-direct well enough.

I don't think Reiff will be considered a LT by every team, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was close to 50/50 on the number of teams that view him as a LT prospect. I think his footwork is a notch above some recent Iowa OL guys, like Yanda and Bulaga, and will give him a shot at LT, but I could also see some teams viewing him more as, say, a bigger Daryn Colledge (career path comp), a guy who looks like he could play LT, but it's easier to play him at guard to start off, and after awhile, it's just too hard to move him if he's solid there.

Because I tend to think of the Roos comparison first on Reiff, I tend to wonder if Fisher might contemplate him for the Rams if the board doesn't break the way they want it, or if they trade down again.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:25 AM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Starting to remind me of Chris Williams.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:07 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he would be an absolute great RT who can play LT but not at the same efficiency. Unfortunately, he is going to be drafted to play LT and will be decent but nothing really special if you ask me. He reminds me of Jeff Backus of the Lions.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personally don't think he can be anything more than an average at best pro LT. When he comes up against top speed off the edge his pass protection technique is not great. Doesn't sit in his stance - so then gets jacked back (his feet go back and out to attempt to anchor but he doesn't have much chance as he's too high) and he leaves the inside open too much. Now - against Nebraska and Cameron Meredith he looked very, very good - but Meredith didn't threaten him with enough speed. So a good RT for me.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote