Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:03 AM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I agree with you, but in the same respect, you can't ignore the fact that this is being said (along with insinuation that money will be rewarded for injury) after he had been interviewed by the NFL regarding it and denied it happening.
The punishments were necessary. Whether or not it's the norm or a majority of team have done it doesn't matter. The fact that it got out to the public makes the punishments completely needed. Especially when you considering the NFL knew about the program and told them to stop, and then they got screwed.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.
rockio42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:05 AM    (permalink
VernonLawson89
Veteran

VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol Fail.

F**k Gregg Williams
Old 04-05-2012, 10:06 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some of you are blatantly ignoring the main problem and focusing on a very small portion of the overall problem. Yeah, sure, other coaches talk tough and talk about knocking guys the **** out.

Other coaches DO NOT:

- Get caught, if they do any of the stuff below
- Pay players for injuring others
- Encourage players to target a knee or a concussion-prone player in the head
- Ignore the NFL when they repeatedly tell them to stop something
- Have a boss whose marketing manager added his own money, which took the situation way too close to gambling

On top of all this Gregg Williams' defenses have never been that great. He's easily the dirtiest coordinator in the league and his defenses are still consistently average. The NFL is adding by subtraction when they ban him for life. **** Gregg Williams.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:12 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ever have coaches tell you to take out an ACL or an ankle? All while making the "cash money" motion with their fingers?

Why are you guys that are defending the "Kill the head, body will die" metaphors and "knock him the F- out" rhetoric (I have no problem with that either) completely ignoring the fact that he specifically targeted specific areas of players body's while pro-offering a cash exchange for it?
ACLs? No. Ribs? Broken arms? Hips? Ankles? Absolutely.

If we know you're hurt, we're gonna pop you where it hurts. That's the sacrifice you make when you suit up and play the game.

Even the head was fair game. The only area that was off limits was your knees. You don't attack a guy's knees. But everything else was fair game.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Some of you are blatantly ignoring the main problem and focusing on a very small portion of the overall problem. Yeah, sure, other coaches talk tough and talk about knocking guys the **** out.

Other coaches DO NOT:

- Get caught, if they do any of the stuff below
How do you know this? How do you know that other teams weren't warned or investigated?
- Pay players for injuring others
Again, how do you know this? Who's to say others don't? I'd bet that this is a common practice in many lockerrooms
- Encourage players to target a knee or a concussion-prone player in the head
Again, pretty sure it's common practice, and neither of us can confirm or deny it either way
- Ignore the NFL when they repeatedly tell them to stop something
The Saints are the first team to ever not listen to the front office after being warned? Patriots? Dallas? Washington? Ring a bell?
- Have a boss whose marketing manager added his own money, which took the situation way too close to gambling
Doesn't matter where the money is coming from, that's not necessarily relevant

On top of all this Gregg Williams' defenses have never been that great. He's easily the dirtiest coordinator in the league and his defenses are still consistently average. The NFL is adding by subtraction when they ban him for life. **** Gregg Williams.Skill has nothing to do with the issue at hand

This is my main issue with this whole subject. A lot of us feel that this is an issue that's exclusive to the Saints. It is not. It's not exclusive to Greg Williams or the Saints.

The reason why the Saints are being punished is bc they blatantly ignored the NFL front office, and bc they got snitched on. That's it. Even the NFL front office didn't care about it and blew it under the rug until the snitch gave them enough evidence to advance. They didn't exactly make a full fledged effort to expose this. It fell in their lap.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:25 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
ACLs? No. Ribs? Broken arms? Hips? Ankles? Absolutely.

If we know you're hurt, we're gonna pop you where it hurts. That's the sacrifice you make when you suit up and play the game.

Even the head was fair game. The only area that was off limits was your knees. You don't attack a guy's knees. But everything else was fair game.
Well then you've chosen to ignore that part. Michael Crabtree has never had an ACL injury and Williams specifically told his players to go after Crabtree's ACL.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Well then you've chosen to ignore that part. Michael Crabtree has never had an ACL injury and Williams specifically told his players to go after Crabtree's ACL.
And he's wrong for that. I don't condone what Williams did completely. I'm not even saying that he doesn't deserve punishment.

All I'm saying is, the "zomg" reaction of 95% of the fans out there is off base. And what annoys me is that overreaction is going to lead to more regulations that will wussify this sport.

We're headed towards flag football. And when it happens, I don't want to hear fans ***** about it, bc we ultimately are responsible for it.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not going to come In here and repeat everything High Douglas just said on espn because he was 100% right. Guys go out there to hurt each other. It's just the game.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:31 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
I'm not going to come In here and repeat everything High Douglas just said on espn because he was 100% right. Guys go out there to hurt each other. It's just the game.
But they don't all get addtional cash from their coaches for hurting players, and these coaches don't get interviewed about it, deny it's happening, and then do it again on audio.

Why can't people separate the content of the story?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:31 AM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was mid-way through a post that essentially did that but figured a lot of people will have seen it by tonight (hopefully). The look on the anchor's face during some of his answers were freaking priceless.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This man weeps for the future of the nfl

Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And he's wrong for that. I don't condone what Williams did completely. I'm not even saying that he doesn't deserve punishment.

All I'm saying is, the "zomg" reaction of 95% of the fans out there is off base. And what annoys me is that overreaction is going to lead to more regulations that will wussify this sport.

We're headed towards flag football. And when it happens, I don't want to hear fans ***** about it, bc we ultimately are responsible for it.

Meh, we're headed that way because retards like Greg Williams went and ruined a good thing. And yes I know he's not the only one, but you're wrong if you think EVERYONE does it. Hopefully this sends a message to the other ones that also do this kind of stuff.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:34 AM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

Quote:
But they don't all get addtional cash from their coaches for hurting players, and these coaches don't get interviewed about it, deny it's happening, and then do it again on audio.

Because, while you are correct in focusing on the money aspect of this story, the media is not. The media is focusing on the supposed cruelty of the mindset that Williams instilled and the hits that it lead to. All we've heard is about how horrible it is to tell players to hurt other players, not that the fact the money changing hands is what is the real issue is here.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:34 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I am so sick of this of this defense. Are you KIDDING me?

I'm all for playing hard. I know it's a violent sport. But there is NO ROOM IN THIS SPORT FOR WHAT GREGG WILLIAMS DID. None. You're out of your mind if you're defending this kind of behavior.

Flag football? Give me a ******* break.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Last edited by vidae : 04-05-2012 at 10:36 AM.
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Quote:

Because the other stuff, separate the lying, should be moot. You think a millionaire tried extra hard to hurt someone for 5k? That's like me trying extra hard at my job for 5 bucks. The only thing the saints did wrong were lying.
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
This man weeps for the future of the nfl

This is what I'm talking about...

The Gregg Williiam's stuff has absolutely NOTHING to do with old-school, hit-as-hard-as-you-can football. This is about attaching monetary reward for injuring players, and lying to the NFL when questioned about it.
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And don't get me wrong, I love hard football. I played a ton of safety and woukd light people up. My coaches encouraged big hits. But they never encouraged trying to take out a guys knee, or going for his head repeatedly. That's crossing the line, and that's what has happened here. If they had a bounty system for big hits I wouldn't have even cared, but there is something wrong about deliberately trying to injure people.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:37 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Doesn't matter where the money is coming from, that's not necessarily relevant
It sure as hell does matter. It's one thing to have players or coaches chipping in on a bounty fund. It's an entirely different thing if an outside party and convicted felon is allowed to chip in.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
This is what I'm talking about...

The Gregg Williiam's stuff has absolutely NOTHING to do with old-school, hit-as-hard-as-you-can football. This is about attaching monetary reward for injuring players, and lying to the NFL when questioned about it.
The media and the public is NOT outraged of the fact that they got paid to do it.

They are outraged BC they were asked to do it period. The violent culture of the sport behind closed doors is being exposed and it's creating an outrage.

Nobody cares about the money. That's ultimately why they're being punished, but that's not why ppl are outraged. They're outraged by the violence.

The same violence that is the backbone of the sport itself.
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

So is it wrong when a baseball manager tells a pitcher to hit a batter should that be illegal? Suspendable?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:39 AM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Quote:
So is it wrong when a baseball manager tells a pitcher to hit a batter should that be illegal? Suspendable?
Completely different circumstances. Being hit by a baseball doesn't cause serious issues for you later in life. A baseball won't tear your ACL.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 AM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs View Post
And don't get me wrong, I love hard football. I played a ton of safety and woukd light people up. My coaches encouraged big hits. But they never encouraged trying to take out a guys knee, or going for his head repeatedly. That's crossing the line, and that's what has happened here. If they had a bounty system for big hits I wouldn't have even cared, but there is something wrong about deliberately trying to injure people.
This difference is what originally pissed me off about people's reaction. There is a large difference between a bounty system for "big hits" and one for injuries (and Bulldogs pointed that out). A big hit doesn't mean you are trying to hurt the guy. It means you are squaring your shoulders, keeping your head up, and driving every pound of force you can through that person's body. Williams advocating a bounty program for injuring players is what has made it such an egregious offense.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Completely different circumstances. Being hit by a baseball doesn't cause serious issues for you later in life. A baseball won't tear your ACL.
If it hits you in the head it will lead to concussionzzzz

Shot to the chest could kill you.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Quote:
Lolwut?????????

You never played baseball.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 AM    (permalink
VernonLawson89
Veteran

VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

bounty collected