I'm gonna have to call you out on the Dontari Poe pick Scott, as I just don't see it.
1. When I look at his tape, I don't see a first round prospect. I also don't see a early round prospect, but considering his measurables, should be pushed up into the first round. When I look at his film, I see a Day 3 prospect. Obviously there's a lot of reasons for the tape being what it is, but I don't see a Day 1 starter.
-Drafting a complete total project right outside of the top 10, when they have other needs that could be filled with players that also have a high ceiling but also a much higher floor seems ridiculous.
2. The Chiefs are near the top (if not the top) team when it comes to running sub package, and that percentage is expected to get even higher with Peyton in the AFC West and a schedule filled with pass heavy teams.
-Romeo Crennel often does not have a typical nose on these packages. In instances, the Chiefs will go through almost the entire game with 2 linemen on the field.
3. Pioli doesn't seem to be swayed very much by strictly workout numbers when it comes to drafting in the first round.
4. Honestly, Poe looked better to me in the film when they had him lined up as an end.
5. Crennel seems to be rather upfront about his intentions and has let it known they will be going the BPA route. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to argue that route isn't the BPA path.
6. A former scout was recently interviewed and didn't seem convinced they were going to go with Poe. He also dropped a nugget that Romeo Crennel considers ILB as important as a position on the D as NT. Belcher is on a one year RFA deal and is basically a total liability in coverage. (For the record: he said that he saw Kuechly being the pick at 11)
7. There are prospects later on in the draft that seem more ideal with what they want at 0 tech. Ta'Amu (although I'm not a fan of his) and Chapman make more sense and would provide much better value.
I'll take my lumps if I am wrong, but I just don't see it. Just like two years ago when I pounded on the table and said there was absolutely no way Pioli was going to pass on Eric Berry for Bulaga.
I think you should be looking at Poe as more of an ideal one-gap end than a two-gap 0 tech.
Currently on IR: Rip 2011 Jamaal Charles :(