Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default What Are Your Safety Rankings?

Here are my safety rankings so far. I have yet to evaluate a number of prospects; anyone not listed has not been evaluated fully yet. Most of the evaluations are based on film rather than workout numbers or background information except where noted.

First Round

SS Mark Barron, Alabama (6'1", 213, 4.56) (FS)

Has all of the qualities which make a safety great except top-notch hips; very aggressive in all facets of the game and has terrific ball skills. Won't be exposed against either the pass or run.

Second Round

SS Harrison Smith, Notre Dame (6'2", 213, 4.57) (FS)

Could potentially go in the first round due to a lack of top safeties but is not enough of a difference-maker to warrant a first-round grade; well-rounded and dependable but hands are sub-par.

SS Antonio Allen, South Carolina (6'2", 210, 4.67)

Played almost exclusively in the box at South Carolina but excelled in the role; plays off of blocks well and is a terrific hitter/tackler with ideal size. Cone drill helps make up for 40-yard dash time.

Third Round

SS George Iloka, Boise St. (6'4", 225, 4.66) (FS/CB)

Played everywhere in the secondary at Boise St. and has elite height but is not as physical or explosive as the prospects in the first two rounds and may be more limited in the NFL than he was in college.

FS Markelle Martin, Oklahoma St. (6'1", 207, 4.45)

Physical makeup is that of a starting free safety and is also a sound tackler but does not have the anticipatory skills of a top prospect and is guilty of taking poor angles at times.

Fourth Round

SS DeQuan Menzie, Alabama (5'11", 202, 4.74) (CB/FS)

Primarily played CB but his poor Combine showing may lead to a change. Ran a 4.59 at Alabama's pro day and turned in a 6.93 on the cone; quality blitzer and tackler.

FS Brandon Taylor, Louisiana St. (5'11", 209, 4.58) (CB/SS)

Highly regarded defensive leader who could contribute at either safety spot and plays with confidence and swagger but gets overly aggressive and misses too many tackles.

SS Cyhl Quarles, Wake Forest (6'2", 213, 4.62) (FS)

Jacked with terrific size and bulk and is a physical, sound tackler as well; was used in coverage at times but is at his best when playing in the box as a strong safety.

Fifth Round

FS Phillip Thomas, Syracuse* (5'11", 198, 4.74) (SS)

Plays faster than he timed and has the frame of an NFL free safety but was suspended from Syracuse's program and is not particularly smooth.

FS Christian Thompson, South Carolina St. (6'0", 211, 4.50) (SS)

Transferred from Auburn due to academic issues and will face character concerns. Has an intriguing skillset but does not play up to his workout numbers.

FS Trenton Robinson, Michigan St. (5'10", 195, 4.52) (CB)

Intriguing physical tools make him a potential third safety in the NFL but is inconsistent and can be fooled by double moves; not a great tackler.

FS Aaron Henry, Wisconsin (6'0", 203, 4.52)

Possesses the size to start at free safety and is fairly reliable in coverage but has terrible tackling form (dive at the legs and hope for the best.)

Sixth Round

SS Jerrell Young, South Florida (6'1", 209, 4.60) (FS)

Aggressive in run support and certainly looks the part; more of a strong safety than a free safety but could carve out a backup role in the NFL.

Seventh Round

SS Charles Mitchell, Mississippi St. (5'11", 202, 4.63)

Solid measurables and three years of starting experience should make Mitchell a late-round option but he lacks the range and instincts to start.

FS Sean Cattouse, California (6'2", 211, 4.74)

Improved each year at California and contributed on special teams but does not play with the aggressiveness or physicality his size suggests; very nice cone.

Free Agents

SS Kelcie McCray, Arkansas St. (6'2", 202, 4.54)

Intriguing physical specimen who should receive a camp invitation. Aggressive hitter but is raw as a prospect and blows far too many coverages.

SS Duke Ihenacho, San Jose St. (6'0", 213, 4.68)

Has prototypical size and three years of starting experience but lacks athleticism/speed and is a below-average tackler especially given his size.

SS Tony Dye, UCLA (5'10", 201, 4.56)

Dye's frame and hips are suited to the NFL, but his recognition deficiencies lead to false steps and he missed most of last season with a neck injury.

FS Tramaine Thomas, Arkansas (6'0", 204, 4.61) (SS)

Three years of starting experience in the SEC won't be enough for teams to overlook his hips, which were exposed with his abysmal 8.01 in the cone drill.

SS Winston Guy, Kentucky (6'1", 218, 4.70)

Productive two-year starter who plays near the line of scrimmage but lacks the balance, ball skills, speed, and aggressiveness to contribute in the NFL.

Not Ranked

Matt Daniels, Duke - did not see any Duke games this season and can't find any game tape

Brandon Hardin, Oregon St. - I no longer have 2010 tape of Oregon St.; missed the 2011 season

Janzen Jackson, McNeese St. - I no longer have any of Jackson's tape from Tennessee and can't find any from McNeese St.

Matt Merletti, North Carolina - upcoming!

Jerron McMillian, Maine - I wasn't able to find any tape of Maine

Sean Richardson, Vanderbilt - upcoming!

Last edited by Matthew Jones : 04-10-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Matthew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another important note: the rankings above are based entirely on film rather than character evaluations, production, etc. I haven't had a chance to look into everyone's production completely at this point.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Just added SS Winston Guy (Kentucky) to the list. He ran a 4.7 but his size (6'1", 218) and production (105 and 120 tackles in the past two seasons) were appealing. Kentucky used him almost as an extra linebacker on the line of scrimmage, but he doesn't play off of blocks very well and takes some poor angles. I was unimpressed with his balance and his lack of aggressiveness was surprising.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about Tramain Thomas out of Arkansas? Solid athletically, he has decent size/speed for a safety at 6-0 2-5 4.51 (pro day) and has some good film. Good ball skills and can make plays, also had a 38.5 vert at his pro day.

3 plus year starter with 236 career tackles, 13 break ups, and 12 picks. This year had 91 tackles, 6 pass break ups, and 5 picks.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

I need to go back and review more of Tramain Thomas because his career production and measurables are much more impressive than what I've seen from him while watching Arkansas. He doesn't seem very instinctive and always seems to lag behind the action rather than being the first one to the ball. His statistics are shocking considering he never seemed to be doing much of anything on the field when I watched. I would grade him as an undrafted free agent based on his play but he has some interesting developmental potential.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

P.S. I just looked up Tramain Thomas' pro day results, and he ran an 8.01 in the cone. I've never seen a cone drill that slow from a defensive back. Even guys like Dontari Poe and Brandon Thompson had better cone drills than that.

EDIT: to put that cone drill in perspective, the worst Combine cone time from a safety in the past 15 years is a 7.61.

Last edited by Matthew Jones : 04-10-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Matthew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thats Thomas putting a lick on Ford the LSU back and forcing a fumble. Ford is a pretty big back too.

Closest thing to a highlight tape I found but there is a lot left out. I have seen Arkansas play quite a bit and I don't see how he is so far off the radar. He isn't Ed Reed but he should at least be getting some attention. Nose for the ball, well rounded, and has talent. He will hit people and just makes plays. For what ever reason it seems like individuals have a tough time standing out in Razorback defenses over the years, I don't know why it is just something I've noticed. I think Thomas will be a starter and should be getting more hype especially in a pretty weak safety class.

Feed Moncrief
Old 04-10-2012, 02:30 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Harrison Smith : NOTRE DAME
2. Mark Barron : ALABAMA
3. George Iloka : BOISE STATE
4. Markelle Martin : OKLAHOMA STATE
5. Winston Guy Jr. : KENTUCKY
6. Christian Thompson : SOUTH CAROLINA STATE
7. Antonio Allen : SOUTH CAROLINA
8. Trenton Robinson : MICHIGAN STATE
9. Philip Thomas : SYRACUSE
10. Brandon Taylor : LOUISIANA STATE

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Yeah but he ran a 6.9 at his pro day. That is a huge spread so something must have gone wrong in Indy

Feed Moncrief
Old 04-10-2012, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

I keep seeing that Thomas was not invited to the combine by the way I don't know if I am missing something

Feed Moncrief
Old 04-10-2012, 02:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Round 1
Dre Kirkpatrick
Mark Barron

Round 2
Harrison Smith
Antonio Allen
Alfonzo Dennard

Round 3
Trumaine Johnson
Brandon Taylor
George Iloka
Markelle Martin

Round 4
Josh Norman
Trenton Robinson
Justin Bethel
Brandon Hardin
Donnie Fletcher

Round 5
Aaron Henry
Duke Ihenacho
Christian Thompson
Janzen Jackson

Not the order in which I think they'll be good in the NFL... just the round I think they'll be picked in.

Last edited by D-Unit : 04-10-2012 at 03:06 PM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I keep seeing that Thomas was not invited to the combine by the way I don't know if I am missing something
Tramain was not invited to the Combine. Here are his pro day results:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/pro...main-thomas-5/

The shuttle is also particularly awful. Nice career in college, absolutely no chance in the NFL. That cone drill is historically awful.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

By the way, if anyone has any videotape on Christian Thompson, I'd love to take a look at some. His physical skillset is intriguing but I hate to base my opinions off of scouting reports.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hmmm I kept seeing 6.9. I see the eight second time now too but that is surprising how there is such a big discrepancy

Feed Moncrief
Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Regardless...

1. Mark Barron (mid-late first)
2. Harrison Smith (late first-early second)
3. Antonio Allen (mid second)
4. Geroge Iloka (mid-late second)
5. Brandon Taylor (late second)
6. Markelle Martin (late second-early third)
7. Trenton Robinson (third)
8. Janzen Jackson (fourth)
9. Charles Mitchell (fourth)
10. Aaron Henry (fifth)

For corner/safety tweener prospects I would say
-Dennard (mid second-late second)
-Trumaine Johnson (late second-early third)

Honestly those are the only two guys I really like converting from corner to safety early, and I still think Dennard has a better future at corner he just needs to land with the right team.

Iloka has that Adrian Wilson skillset with his versatility, tools, and some background at corner.

Oh yeah and I left out Tremain Thomas, top 3 pick because nobody is in his class. Three ******* cones won't make me lose faith.

Feed Moncrief
Old 04-10-2012, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Give me George Iloka's size and speed blend versus the upside of Antonio Allen anyday. I'd probably rank them #1 Barron - #2 Smith - #3 Iloka each of which being off the board by the second round. The falloff after that is steep in my opinion, and Iloka presents a very close second to Harrison Smith.
Asteinebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteinebach View Post
Give me George Iloka's size and speed blend versus the upside of Antonio Allen anyday. I'd probably rank them #1 Barron - #2 Smith - #3 Iloka each of which being off the board by the second round. The falloff after that is steep in my opinion, and Iloka presents a very close second to Harrison Smith.
I went with Allen because he is outstanding in the box despite not seeing much of him in deep coverage. Iloka is more versatile in terms of having been used as a center fielder and CB as well but he doesn't really stand out in any one area.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

George Iloka, Janzen Jackson and Dre are the only safety's I like.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Tramain was not invited to the Combine. Here are his pro day results:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/pro...main-thomas-5/

The shuttle is also particularly awful. Nice career in college, absolutely no chance in the NFL. That cone drill is historically awful.
Yeah MJ that cone drill time doesn't really add up. My guess is that it may be possible that he fell and ran the drill twice. I know speed and power don't equal agility, but I don't think a guy with the other measurables that Tramain has would blow the cone drill that badly.

And the Arkansas web site reported it as being 6.91

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/Vi...CLID=205392208
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

There's a video if Christian Thompson on Youtube; I doubt we'll find something better considering his level of competition. I was expecting him to stand out more considering the level of competition and how well he tested but he still has a good game.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Just went through and updated everything!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:23 PM    (permalink
BoiseSt39
Rookie

BoiseSt39 is so money.BoiseSt39 is so money.BoiseSt39 is so money.BoiseSt39 is so money.BoiseSt39 is so money.BoiseSt39 is so money.BoiseSt39 is so money.BoiseSt39 is so money.BoiseSt39 is so money.BoiseSt39 is so money.BoiseSt39 is so money.

Iloka is a solid tackler and is almost better in run support than defending the pass.
BoiseSt39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:28 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barring any last minute changes to my rankings:

S.
1. Mark Barron
2. George Iloka
3. Harrison Smith
4. Markelle Martin
5. Antonio Allen
6. Janzen Jackson
7. Brandon Taylor
8. Tramain Thomas
9. Aaron Henry
10.Trenton Robinson
Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dre Kirkpatrick is probably the best Free Safety prospect. I think any NFL team that drafts him will move him over to the position. I think he'd be a very good ball hawk to a team picking in the second half of the 1st orund. Better than Malcom Jenkins, very, very similar to Antrelle Rolle.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Mark Barron – Alabama
2. Harrison Smith – Notre Dame
3. Trumaine Johnson – Montana * (CB)
4. Brandon Taylor – LSU
5. Antonio Allen – South Carolina
6. Markelle Martin – Oklahoma State
7. George Iloka – Boise State
8. Aaron Henry - Wisconsin
9. Kelcie McCray – Arkansas State
10. Jamell Fleming – Oklahoma * (CB)
11. DeQuan Menzie – Alabama * (CB)
12. Brandon Hardin – Oregon State
13. Duke Ihenacho - San Jose State
14. Donnie Fletcher – Boston College * (CB)
15. Phillip Thomas - Syracuse

Last edited by phlysac : 04-11-2012 at 07:21 AM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote