Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 04-16-2012, 05:11 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Dont'a Hightower

Everyone has Pitt taking him at 24. I just don't think he'll last that long. This guy is a very good MLB, he knows how to blitz has the size of a DE and can run 4.68 40.

I can see him going as high as 12 to Seattle or 15 ( Philly ) 16 ( Jets ) and 18 ( SD )
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:16 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

MLBs and ILB don't go that high unless they are special. Hightower isn't special. I think his ceiling is 24. However, he fits Pitts defense and philosophy.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
MLBs and ILB don't go that high unless they are special. Hightower isn't special. I think his ceiling is 24. However, he fits Pitts defense and philosophy.
Pretty much this.

Also, the guy is useless on passing downs anyway unless you want to blitz him from DE and we don't even know if he can actually take on that role in the NFL or be more effective than what teams already have at the position. i.e. he might be a two down guy in the NFL.

Furthermore, while I like him as a prospect, I still can't help but feel like he only got pushed up into round one when Taze fell. People just penciled him in where Taze's name was on their boards.

I will say that I feel like Pittsburgh wouldn't have let a veteran like farrior go if they weren't happy with what they had at the position to replace him. That organization isn't the type to let a guy go in the CHANCE that they get a guy they want to draft.

So I think people will be surprised to see him fall on draft day, but I won't. Maybe the Ravens, but I kinda doubt it. Might be a 2nd rounder in all honesty.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Hightower as a prospect...Not sure I'd use a first on him.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM    (permalink
cajuncorey
Rookie

cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hightower will probably go before Upshaw
cajuncorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuncorey View Post
Hightower will probably go before Upshaw
I'd agree with this. I think Hightower is the better player.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
Pretty much this.

Also, the guy is useless on passing downs anyway unless you want to blitz him from DE and we don't even know if he can actually take on that role in the NFL or be more effective than what teams already have at the position. i.e. he might be a two down guy in the NFL.

Furthermore, while I like him as a prospect, I still can't help but feel like he only got pushed up into round one when Taze fell. People just penciled him in where Taze's name was on their boards.

I will say that I feel like Pittsburgh wouldn't have let a veteran like farrior go if they weren't happy with what they had at the position to replace him. That organization isn't the type to let a guy go in the CHANCE that they get a guy they want to draft.

So I think people will be surprised to see him fall on draft day, but I won't. Maybe the Ravens, but I kinda doubt it. Might be a 2nd rounder in all honesty.
i think the steelers would be ok at MLB with sylvester and foote, but they are in the market for an upgrade for sure
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
i think the steelers would be ok at MLB with sylvester and foote, but they are in the market for an upgrade for sure
Timmons and Foote will start, even if they get Hightower.

And they are interested in Kendricks/Wagner in the 2nd too.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:15 PM    (permalink
indyfan1985
Veteran

indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Id be completely fine with the Colts taking him with the 34th pick. Put him next to Pat Angerer in our 3-4 defense and we suddenly have one of the better LB cores.

indyfan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 AM    (permalink
lowlife
Veteran

lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
McClain wasn't all that 'special' and dude went 8th.

Oh yeah, Raiders. I retract my counter-argument example
lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post

I don't doubt that they would be willing to upgrade. It would be silly not to.

I just think that problems may be larger along the OL for example than at ILB where you feel comfortable enough to let a guy like Farrior go.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 04-17-2012, 09:39 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

i imagine it wouldnt be long until they unleashed hightower to combat footes blatant mediocrity. Woodley didnt "start" his rookie year but they got him on the field over haggans a lot because it was clear that he was allergic to being blocked.

same thing kinda happened to merriman his rookie year, it was a sunday night against the steelers and the chargers gave him his first game action and he dominated. i just think hightower wouldnt be riding the bench very long and would probably be used as a situational pass rusher early on too
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 AM    (permalink
steelersrock151
Rookie

steelersrock151 is a cocksman.steelersrock151 is a cocksman.steelersrock151 is a cocksman.steelersrock151 is a cocksman.steelersrock151 is a cocksman.

Troy didn't start his first game, and they traded up for him. And I think the "he's only a two down back" thing is overblown with Hightower. I really don't see him getting past the Steelers, unless someone falls dramatically for no apparent reason.
steelersrock151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersrock151 View Post
Troy didn't start his first game, and they traded up for him. And I think the "he's only a two down back" thing is overblown with Hightower.
Meh, he plays very stiff, mediocre in coverage, mediocre pass rusher. I'm not a huge Hightower fan.

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

i think hes solid in zone, i like hes interior pass rush ability and think hes ok off the edge
Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd agree with this. I think Hightower is the better player.
I agree with this, and if I did use a first on him as a 3-4 team I'd look at him as an OLB. I think he can handle outside as well as inside.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Meh, he plays very stiff, mediocre in coverage, mediocre pass rusher. I'm not a huge Hightower fan.
Bingo. He's not half the athlete his Combine makes him out to be. His triangle numbers have people tricked...Just go watch the game tape. This is spot on...He moves extremely poorly both laterally and backwards. I get shivers imagining him trying to cover some of the TE's who run the seams in the NFL now...Hightower is a good LB so long as he's moving forward, but I wouldn't touch him in the first.

He's really not a fluid athlete, I don't give a **** what his 40 time is. Solid 2nd round LB type, but he's not a dynamic player by any stretch of the word.

And Courtney Upshaw > Donta Hightower. Most definitely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:02 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

See I shouldn't have said anything on Hightower/Upshaw but it's not something I'm 100% on. I agree that on tape he's at his best moving forward and not much laterally or backwards.

Gdammit whatever....This drsft thing has dragged on so long that it's hardto remember wtf you actually believed early on.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
I think you just described Upshaw.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Dan_Steele
Rookie

Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Wouldn't be terribly shocked if they like Kendricks more than Hightower, trade down, grab him in the early second and possibly acquire another high pick to address the O-Line of Nose Guard positions.
Dan_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If Floyd, DeCastro and Gilmore are gone when the Bengals select at 17, I think Hightower is a real good possibility. Most of our LBing corp is either untested or older and on short term deals. They could use an impact LBer on this squad.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It honestly describes both :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Steele View Post
Wouldn't be terribly shocked if they like Kendricks more than Hightower, trade down, grab him in the early second and possibly acquire another high pick to address the O-Line of Nose Guard positions.
I'm not as high on Kendricks as other people are but this would still present greater value than having to spend a first on Hightower who I really don't think is a first rounder.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
The thing is Upshaw isn't a LB. He is a DE, so many of those issues aren't as applicable as they are to Hightower. Upshaw has at least proven how productive he can be rushing the passer (17.5 sacks in 3 years), so I'd call him better than a mediocre pass rusher as well. Hightower will be asked to do more of what he is average at in the NFL than Upshaw (a lot will depend on system of course).

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:23 AM    (permalink
Bixby (Thumper)
Rookie

Location: "Everybody sounds like Meryl Streep with a gun to their head."
Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The thing is Upshaw isn't a LB. He is a DE, so many of those issues aren't as applicable as they are to Hightower. Upshaw has at least proven how productive he can be rushing the passer (17.5 sacks in 3 years), so I'd call him better than a mediocre pass rusher as well. Hightower will be asked to do more of what he is average at in the NFL than Upshaw (a lot will depend on system of course).
17.5 sacks in 3 years sounds so bad. He recorded 1 sack his sophomore year in limited time and he had 16.5 sacks in the past two years along with 34 tackles for a loss. And I wish that somebody tracked pressures and hits in college because I'm sure that Upshaw would've been one of the leaders.

Personally, I really like Upshaw and I think he's the safest pass rusher in the draft by a mile. He's not really smooth dropping into coverage but really what does that matter when he's rushing the passer 80% of the time on passing snaps? And its not like a team is going to give him huge amounts of coverage responsibilities, he's a 3-4 OLB not a corner. He's got good quickness when moving forward, he's sudden and powerful. He's got great core strength to fight through contact. Upshaw plays with good leverage, powerful hands, good leg drive and he's got a good amount of pass rush moves for a college player. I really love his combination of quickness, power and violent hands. Rushing the passer he reminds me of Tamba Hali.

Not as high on Hightower, kind of limited if you ask me. All hype. He's pretty much limited to being a run stuffer because he doesn't have great coverage ability and he doesn't really have the ability to consistently beat offensive tackles when rushing either. You can find limited run stuffers later in the draft. Only problem would be that they would have less name value. Don't get me wrong, Hightower is good at what he does (stop the run and hit hard) but do you really want to spend a first round pick on a guy like that? I don't.
Bixby (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hightower's flaws and lack of athletic ability is hidden in that defense. Just like McClain's was. With the bigger D line in front of him, it helps him. He doesn't have to be in coverage as long, doesn't consistently face OL at second level.

Great tackler, stonewalls guys, and doesn't let tackles be broken.

Can shed blocks if its a RB, if OL gets hands on him, its over.

Is it me or is there something strange with the way he runs?

more videos

Seems like his best work is done as a blitzer.

Last edited by brat316 : 04-18-2012 at 09:55 AM.
brat316 is offline   Reply With Quote