Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 04-03-2012, 10:34 AM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Syracuse DE Chandler Jones on the Rise?

It appears that Chandler Jones is on the rise as he is in Mayocks top 5 DEs and has been an ESPN top 32 player for a number of weeks.

In a DE class that has a number of question marks is Chandler Jones a 1st round pick?

Who would you compare him to?
JohnCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a guy who projects to so many different spots and schemes, he is pretty raw but there is a lot of talent. I know this comparison gets thrown around for a lot of prospects but I think he has Justin Tuck-type potential. A lot of talent but raw coming out. Jones, like Tuck, is viewed as a guy who can put on a lot of size at the next level or stay where he is at and be a 3-4 OLB. There were some poeple who saw Tuck as that kind of player coming out, and now he is a LE who can play inside on passing downs. Jones reminds me a ton of Tuck coming out of ND.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:33 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't listen to a word that joke says (about Mcshay not Mayock [EDIT])

but I do agree with him about Jones, how can you not like a guy with 35.5" arms....long armed players are highly coveted as they can make a ball to the ball that much easier.
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami

Last edited by RWills : 04-03-2012 at 03:15 PM.
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:45 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've seen him mocked to the Ravens several times at the end of the first, simply because of the Art Jones connection and our need for a pass rusher. I've seen limited tape of the guys work, I'd love any insight on him as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
I wouldn't listen to a word that joke says

but I do agree with him about Jones, how can you not like a guy with 35.5" arms....long armed players are highly coveted as they can make a ball to the ball that much easier.
Mayock a joke?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've liked him for a while and if he's there in round 2 would be disappointed if the Titans didn't select him (assuming no DE round 1)

He's got a little bit of Justin Tuck in him
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I've seen him mocked to the Ravens several times at the end of the first, simply because of the Art Jones connection and our need for a pass rusher. I've seen limited tape of the guys work, I'd love any insight on him as well.
Chandler Jones makes a lot of sense for the Ravens because Dean Pees is the defensive coordinator. He is a two-gap guy who values bulk and strength; look for prospects with the ability to two-gap. Jones has the size and length which would appeal to Pees as someone who can set the edge. The strongside "elephant" linebacker is extremely important; Terrell Suggs projects as the right (rush) linebacker, whereas the left (strong/"elephant") linebacker will be called on to jam tight ends, seal off the run, etc. Pass rush skills are not going to be valued very highly. If Pees gets his way, look for the Ravens to target linebackers who are at least 6'3" and 255 pounds but preferably more (6'4" or 6'5" and 265+.)
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Leon Sandcastle
Veteran

Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would anyone be surprised if the Giants took him with the #32nd pick?
Leon Sandcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
I wouldn't listen to a word that joke says

Yeah...Kalimba Edwards had really long arms. lol
Asteinebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:26 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteinebach View Post
Long arms are valuable because they help defenders avoid getting engulfed by offensive linemen. They are objectively desirable in a defensive player. Having long arms doesn't mean a prospect will succeed, but it certainly helps them just like running a 4.3 doesn't mean a wide receiver will succeed but is still a positive attribute.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm well aware of the advantage of having long arms, especially at the defensive end position, Matthew. I've been a draftnik and scout for over 10 years now.
Asteinebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm well aware of the advantage of having long arms, especially at the defensive end position, Matthew. I've been a draftnik and scout for over 10 years now.
That's over a decade!
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I sure wish I was a scout :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:51 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Still does to my knowledge, barring some unforeseen condition that makes them shrink
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:14 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs View Post
Mayock a joke?

Opps....I though it said McShay at the top...I think Mayock is the top
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:31 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's more than this many!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:32 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Somebody give me a comp for Jones. Also, how is he different than Andre Branch? From what I can tell he's a raw athlete, but a little stiff and unrefined as a pass rusher. It kind of goes without saying, but I haven't gotten around to reviewing the Syracuse tape just yet....

Last edited by ChiFan24 : 04-03-2012 at 03:34 PM.
ChiFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiFan24 View Post
Somebody give me a comp for Jones. Also, how is he different than Andre Branch? From what I can tell he's a raw athlete, but a little stiff and unrefined as a pass rusher. It kind of goes without saying, but I haven't gotten around to reviewing the Syracuse tape just yet....
Jones looks bulkier than Branch on tape and relies on overwhelming power; he may be a strange fit at outside linebacker for many teams because he seems to lumber when he runs. Branch is a much more fluid and natural athlete with some more finesse to his game.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:42 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Jones looks bulkier than Branch on tape and relies on overwhelming power; he may be a strange fit at outside linebacker for many teams because he seems to lumber when he runs. Branch is a much more fluid and natural athlete with some more finesse to his game.
Gotcha. I've been watching a lot of Branch lately and I'm liking what I see. I'd be a little surprised if he got out of the first. Surprising that some have Jones ranked higher.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Gotcha. I've been watching a lot of Branch lately and I'm liking what I see. I'd be a little surprised if he got out of the first. Surprising that some have Jones ranked higher.
Branch does seem like a first-round pick on tape; very good against the run in all phases (tackling, block shedding, backside contain, anchoring, setting the edge, diagnosis.) Chandler Jones is interesting because he could potentially play some five-technique as well (albeit not in two-gap defenses.) Jones really stands out on tape in terms of size; he's roughly as big as Aldon Smith.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:51 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Andre Branch is quietly awesome. For a Clemson player he's boy tough and interesting...Undernrated as a DE/OLB convert.

Chandler Jones needs to be in a 4-3. Not overly impressedwith him but he's got good tools.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Here's a comparison between Chandler Jones and Aldon Smith based on their Combine statistics:

Jones / Smith

Height: 6045 / 6042
Weight: 266 / 263
40-yd: 4.87 / 4.74
10-yd: 1.63 / 1.66
Bench: 22 / 20
Vertical: 35" / 34"
Broad: 10' / 9'10"
Shuttle: 4.38 / 4.50
Cone: 7.07 / 7.19

Very interesting stuff. Jones should be in high demand this year as long as his leg checks out.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's no Aldon Smith. Aldon looked unblockable at times on his tape. He was more fluid, too. Jones is more of a bullrusher; Aldon Smith had that ability to just kind of slip off of blockers in the direction of the quarterback.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Here's a comparison between Chandler Jones and Aldon Smith based on their Combine statistics:

Jones / Smith

Height: 6045 / 6042
Weight: 266 / 263
40-yd: 4.87 / 4.74
10-yd: 1.63 / 1.66
Bench: 22 / 20
Vertical: 35" / 34"
Broad: 10' / 9'10"
Shuttle: 4.38 / 4.50
Cone: 7.07 / 7.19

Very interesting stuff. Jones should be in high demand this year as long as his leg checks out.
They just don't really have similar playing styles. Smith looks a lot quicker. Some of the things people knocked Smith for, such as wondering how strong he is at the POA (That's something Jones looks better at), his... slipperiness, I guess, is what made him so good in the NFL last year, and I don't see that on Jones' tape.

If you're internet's fast enough, just hit play on both of them. ;-)
Old 04-03-2012, 04:57 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
He's no Aldon Smith. Aldon looked unblockable at times on his tape. He was more fluid, too. Jones is more of a bullrusher; Aldon Smith had that ability to just kind of slip off of blockers in the direction of the quarterback.
Completely agreed with this.

Smith was also a prospect that basically teams were sitting waiting for him to declare...Really well known prospect iirc who was known as a true freshman.