Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-21-2014, 02:50 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think you touch the Houston contract. It's already miserable and his play is awful. Take the hit next year and if his play struggles get out of the deal. You should only push back contracts of players you except to be here for a while. Houston does not fit that.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
I don't think you touch the Houston contract. It's already miserable and his play is awful. Take the hit next year and if his play struggles get out of the deal. You should only push back contracts of players you except to be here for a while. Houston does not fit that.
Like I said you could restructure Quin or Bush instead of Houston. Lions have lots of options to restructure. Could extend Rob Sims for about 1 million in relief on a decent deal. Could cut Leroy Harris or CJ Mosely, trade LeShoure for some room too. But seems a Suh deal will be the best option to both avoid some restructures and also provide cap relief and give us a great player long term. Mayhew hinted that Suh wants to be here. We'll see if they get it done before mid March for free agency.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't quote me, but I heard last year that the cap $$$'s will remain flat for at least this year.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:20 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My short list for #10 right now is:

Watkins
Ebron
Mack
Gilbert

Watkins and Ebron are obvious as they would both add a dynamic weapon to the offense which is surely needed. I think a starting WR can be had later in this draft. Some guys I really like are Mathews, Beckham, and Cooks.

I think Mack would be an incredible difference maker to our defense. He'd round out a starting 7 that would be on the level of Carolina or San Fran if you ask me. His Blitzing ability should fit in the new defense as the goal appears to bring pressure from many looks. Between Ansah, Suh, Fairley and add in Mack, getting pressure should never be an issue and we can dial it up whenever.

I personally am not sold on any CB's in this draft at #10. If we took one I'd want Gilbert. I personally do not think we take a CB though. I want nothing to do with Denard at #10. I don't buy his production in a weak big ten conference and he hasn't faced any QBs that will ever play in the NFL. To add to that I don't think he's even faced many WRs that will end up starters in the NFL. He's not the athlete Gilbert is and doesn't have the size.

What are some other names people would like to see? Mosley intrigues me with his all around skill but at #10 I just don't see him happening (especially with his injury history). Clinton-Dix probably isn't worth #10 but if he raises his stock to a top 15 level, I would live with the pick. Get Delmas out and get a staple in the backfield next to Quinn. I refuse to believe an Olineman will be taken, but who knows what happens if Mathews falls to us.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:19 AM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

I'm intrigued by Mack, but I've heard some (admittedly secondhand) stories about his behavior in the locker room that concerns me a bit. Nothing that is beyond good coaching though.

My preference is:
1. Watkins
2. Ebron
3. Trade Back
4. Mack
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Don't quote me, but I heard last year that the cap $$$'s will remain flat for at least this year.
We have some carry over so it should be around 128 million for the Lions.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:18 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Damn that sucks. I was hoping it would go up enough to cover our draft class at least. We will have to be very careful with our cap space. We are about 4.5 over, but should be able to clear 15 pretty easily. That covers draft picks and maybe re-signing Raiola and at least one of Pettigrew and Young. Any FAs will likely come from a Suh renegotiation. We definitely won't sign any big names IMO. Here's hoping for something like Thurmond and a WR.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Draft some press corners and unleash the hounds. Cut houston or whomever we need to.

I would prefer a top corner or mack/mosley. We have plenty of TE options.
2nd round jordan matthews or best wr
3rd center or best press corner
rest would be developmental projects our new staff falls in love with.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll say this, the draft looks like it will set up pretty well for the Lions, lots of talent at positions of need, so whatever direction we take, we should possibly come up with 3 starters and a lot of solid secondary players.

Since we are over the cap presently, there are bound to be a surprise cut or 2 and I doubt we will be active in FA where players are expensive.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:31 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'll say this, the draft looks like it will set up pretty well for the Lions, lots of talent at positions of need, so whatever direction we take, we should possibly come up with 3 starters and a lot of solid secondary players.

Since we are over the cap presently, there are bound to be a surprise cut or 2 and I doubt we will be active in FA where players are expensive.
Yeah I honestly think we are going to get very lucky in this draft. There is a lot of very good talent at positions we need to address and the teams ahead of us seem to all be starving for QBs.

The dream is to have 3 QBs go in the top 10 and push the true elite talent in the draft down to us.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:47 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think 3 will definitely go, I think the dream is to have 4 go ahead of us. Or a 3rd OT/DE. I have a feeling either Barr or Watkins will be available. I hope we trade down the lowest amount that gets us an extra 3rd and go BPA there. That's a great area to be in for a team needing a WR,TE or DB.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:39 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

After his Senior Bowl week, and the hiring of Norv Turner, Carr going to the Vikings makes a lot of sense.
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:57 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

I would be surprised if Barr, Mack or Watkins wasn't available. There's no doubt I would be happy with either of them.

I would trade down into the teens for extra picks in a heart beat. There isn't a single player or single position that we absolutely need in the 1st (WR we need but don't need the best WR in the draft to get a serviceable upgrade). Rather there are a handful of areas that could use an upgrade of young talent. Trading down allows us to do that a lot easier. But trading down is always the dream..
Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mack
Roby
Swanson
Herron
Zimmerman
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:25 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

I'd love Swanson but A) I don't think he falls out of the 2nd and B) If they resign Raiola for 1 year I feel as if we should try and fill a different need that early in the draft.

I'd rather get a Safety or a WR there. Yes, I would be perfectly fine taking a WR in the 3rd and 4th.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:02 PM    (permalink
SRogers92
Rookie

SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My list of "wants" for the Lions right now is:

1) Sammy Watkins
2) HaSean Clinton-Dix
3) Khalil Mack
4) Marqise Lee

I think any of these 4 is an immediate upgrade. Have to address the secondary if not in FA, at some point in the draft though. I think Slay has upside and Quin is a good player, but a lot of uncertainty after that, especially with Delmas and his health.
SRogers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

I'd love to see Clinton-Dix run well and raise his stock to a point where #10 wouldn't be a reach. Right now I just don't see us taking him that early. Mayhew has never reached before and I don't see him starting now.

If Watkins is off the board at #10 I hope we go with defense or Ebron. I think WR is too deep this year and I would rather get a 2nd tier WR in the 2nd or 3rd than reach for Lee.

I like Mack a lot but there's a lot to learn about him and seeing how he tests out will be huge. There is no doubt he could make this defense much better.

What do people think about CJ Mosley? Tulloch is getting up there in age and could certainly be a cap casualty in the next year or so. Mosley can come in and play at OLB this year and then shift over after this year. He is a 3-down guy who can do just about everything. His injury history concerns me a bit but if that checks out I think he could be a long term fixture at ILB for us.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:57 PM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Sammy Watkins makes it to ten something is wrong. I would trade up if I had to have him. Khalil Mack should be there. He's the guy.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Considering how top heavy the roster is, part of me feels like they almost have an obligation to trade down. They need to really fill out the middle of the roster with cheap talent. If they can get an extra 2nd or 3rd it would go a long way. There are a ton of TEs,WRs and CBs in the mid to late 1st too.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:47 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
Considering how top heavy the roster is, part of me feels like they almost have an obligation to trade down. They need to really fill out the middle of the roster with cheap talent. If they can get an extra 2nd or 3rd it would go a long way. There are a ton of TEs,WRs and CBs in the mid to late 1st too.
Completely agree but the offer needs to be there. Simply too many holes to fill to stick at 10 if someone is offering us their second to move up. There's enough depth at our positions of need in this draft to pick up quality players later on in the draft.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

I'm not expecting a trade with our 1st. Mayhew will be looking at a real stud at #10 and I cannot see him passing for a more risky pick even for an extra 3rd.

All the reliable mocks I've seen clearly suggest that none of Watkins, Barr or Mack will be available, so it will very interesting to see how we draft.

I don't think we can wait on drafting an OC by round 3, players as old as Raiola can see their performance collapse quickly and are very injury prone as well. Unfortunately, it is a weak year for OC's but maybe an OG could be switched to that position.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
Completely agree but the offer needs to be there. Simply too many holes to fill to stick at 10 if someone is offering us their second to move up. There's enough depth at our positions of need in this draft to pick up quality players later on in the draft.
I'd love to get something like 26 and 37 from Cleveland, plus maybe a sweetener like a future 4th.But yes, the offer has to be there. I'd even trade away Watkins for the right offer, if a team like SF wanted to go all Julio Jones for him.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:41 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm not expecting a trade with our 1st. Mayhew will be looking at a real stud at #10 and I cannot see him passing for a more risky pick even for an extra 3rd.

All the reliable mocks I've seen clearly suggest that none of Watkins, Barr or Mack will be available, so it will very interesting to see how we draft.

I don't think we can wait on drafting an OC by round 3, players as old as Raiola can see their performance collapse quickly and are very injury prone as well. Unfortunately, it is a weak year for OC's but maybe an OG could be switched to that position.
What reliable mocks are you refering to? I have seen very few mocks without atleast 1 of those players being available.

3 Quarterbacks, 2 OT's, and Clowney make up 6 of the top 10 picks in most mocks. The other 3 players would have to fill out the rest and that's just about worst case scenario for us.

The players to keep an eye on are Lewan, Mosley, Ebron, Evans and Carr. It certainly wouldn't be surprising to for any of these players to crack the top 10. Lewan is probably our best bet but I don't think it is clear whatsoever that the top 9 picks are locked in.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:56 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:

Yah, at this point you'd expect 3 QBs, 2 OTs, 3 pass rushers and Watkins to be off the board. One player rising unexpectedly though, which is bound to happen considering how early it is, would push one of them down. Worst case scenario we take someone like Evans,Ebron,Dennard or HaHa
Old 02-07-2014, 11:55 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
Yah, at this point you'd expect 3 QBs, 2 OTs, 3 pass rushers and Watkins to be off the board. One player rising unexpectedly though, which is bound to happen considering how early it is, would push one of them down. Worst case scenario we take someone like Evans,Ebron,Dennard or HaHa
At that point you try to trade down then. Each one of those players are not the clear cut best player at their position besides HaHa.

I personally think Denard is the 2nd 3rd best corner but him and Gilbert are essentially 1a and 1b. (Verrett could be better than both of them IMO)

Ebron and Amaro are very close and it could come down to what teams like who.

Evans is already #2 and he may even be 2a with Lee as 2b.

If that's the case try and move down because you should be able to get the same quality 5-7 spots lower (unless we want a WR no matter what). I also think Mosley shouldn't be ruled out as it gives us a cheap replacement for Tulloch in a year or 2.