Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-26-2014, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe This Year Mayhew View Post
Agreed whitehead is more an unknown still in year 3 and had to learn the true lb position. Them going out and getting Macintosh raised my eyebrows some on their feelings toward whitehead last august
Well he had the suspension last year, so I think they may have known about that. They did let Mcintosh walk this year too. Austin is supposed to use him more since Whitehead's forte is rushing the passer, which he wants his LBs to do more of.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Matty B
Rookie

Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I've been looking at later round prospects lately and how would you guys feel about taking a chance on Colt Lyerla? Character concerns are going to make him drop. If we could get him in the 6th or 7th round I feel like he would be worth the risk.
Matty B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:13 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If there's any chance that Lyerla can turn his life around I'd be absolutely fine with taking a flier on him. IMO he'd be right behind Eric Ebron on the TE rankings if you're looking at pure talent. He's a big, freaky athlete that is actually a very solid blocker at this point.

Unfortunately it seems unlikely that he'll be able to stay out of trouble for long. He might not even be worth the risk in the 6th/7th at this point. It's a shame because he's such a gifted athlete.
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
Well he had the suspension last year, so I think they may have known about that. They did let Mcintosh walk this year too. Austin is supposed to use him more since Whitehead's forte is rushing the passer, which he wants his LBs to do more of.
Travis Lewis was suspended not Whitehead
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe This Year Mayhew View Post
Travis Lewis was suspended not Whitehead
Heh, well I look dumb
Old 03-26-2014, 10:28 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

You have to gamble on a talent like Lyerla late in the draft. There is basically zero risk and huge potential reward.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:56 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
You have to gamble on a talent like Lyerla late in the draft. There is basically zero risk and huge potential reward.
Yeah, there are prospects who are worth a gamble later in the draft, what worries me is how Titus Young got drafted by Mayhew in round 2, how was Mayhew not able to tell this guy was a screwball???????
Old 03-27-2014, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Yeah, there are prospects who are worth a gamble later in the draft, what worries me is how Titus Young got drafted by Mayhew in round 2, how was Mayhew not able to tell this guy was a screwball???????
The worst part about gambling on guys like Titus was that we didn't take guys like Burflict,Blount and Da'rick Rogers in late rounds. Clear top round talents who fell to the end of the draft or beyond. You have to jump on those guys. Imagine if we take Blount instead of Tim Toone and then don't trade up for Leshoure. Or if we take Burflict and let Tulloch walk in FA. Rogers was huge when Indy had injuries at WR last year. He'd look great on this roster right now.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I thought I read somwhere that Mayhew never met with Young. That really would be the only explanation. Also you can be coached to say the right thing in interviews when money is on the line. Also, they could have just chalked it up to him being an immature college kid hoping he would grow. I'd be interested to see the medical reports on Titus too. Also there was some claim to a concussion making it worse (Titus father). And Round 2 is more of a gamble than a late round pick.

Titus had some talent. Solid to good rookie year. Back to the drawing board at WR3. Tate is an upgrade over Burleson. Both his play and health history. 16 of Tate is better than 9 or 7 games of Bureson so that's a big bonus.

We'll see who they get in the draft. Really I want somebody who can be a number 1 without Calvin on the field. But that is pick 10 or a really good find in Round 2 or 3 with good coaching.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:35 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best guess:

Trade up for Watkins/Mack
Stay put Anthony Barr/Clinton-Dix
Trade down Timmy Jernigan/Calvin Pryor

If I was pushed to do a Detroit Mock Draft
010) Anthony Barr OLB
045) Davante Adams WR
076) EJ Gaines CB Keith McGill CB
111) Ahmad Dixon Safety
136) Cameron Fleming OT
139) Anthony Johnson DT
6th) Chris Boswell K
7th) Jeff Janis WR
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:18 AM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
Best guess:

Trade up for Watkins/Mack
Stay put Anthony Barr/Clinton-Dix
Trade down Timmy Jernigan/Calvin Pryor

If I was pushed to do a Detroit Mock Draft
010) Anthony Barr OLB
045) Davante Adams WR
076) EJ Gaines CB Keith McGill CB
111) Ahmad Dixon Safety
136) Cameron Fleming OT
139) Anthony Johnson DT
6th) Chris Boswell K
7th) Jeff Janis WR
Why would we trade down for Timmy Jernigan??
Old 03-28-2014, 09:11 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Yah, that makes no sense.

I'd love that mock though.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:58 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're gonna get Watkins, we sure will!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

I would love a trade up for Watkins. If Calvin goes down, I'd finally be comfortable with the other weapons long term even. Even giving up 10, 2nd and 3rd round though you may look back on that and really regret it.

That being said it's all on Houston/Slay/Bentley/Quin/Ihedigbo then to get better. Even they would draft Gilbert , I don't trust a rookie CB, especially anyone not named Gilber in 2014.

I actually like what Greenwood and Green when they played end of last year and Green in 2012. And I like Slay his last 2 games (GB/at Min). Isa Abdul Quddus and Carey still not sure about but that got just as good a shot as a 4th round safety and both of them have game time experience. Carey sucks at nickel, didn't suck at safety though (2012 was solid).
Old 03-28-2014, 11:36 AM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

I think it would be a huge mistake to trade up for Watkins. Personally I don't see him as being worth a top 10 pick but even if he is I don't think it's smart for us to trade up for a guy that is more or less a luxury pick when we have legitimate needs that can be filled with similarly graded players without having to move up. If Watkins is there at 10 and he's the BPA then I don't think it's that bad of an idea. However, if we give up a 2nd and 3rd rounder to get him I think we'd see the ramifications of that decision long-term with a lack of depth and talent at the other positions.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredder View Post
I think it would be a huge mistake to trade up for Watkins. Personally I don't see him as being worth a top 10 pick but even if he is I don't think it's smart for us to trade up for a guy that is more or less a luxury pick when we have legitimate needs that can be filled with similarly graded players without having to move up. If Watkins is there at 10 and he's the BPA then I don't think it's that bad of an idea. However, if we give up a 2nd and 3rd rounder to get him I think we'd see the ramifications of that decision long-term with a lack of depth and talent at the other positions.
I guess we differ on his value. I think he is much better than Evans or any Round 2 WR. I think he can be a number 1 in this league even without Calvin (which is the most important thing). The ramifications of losing a Calvin to injury with just Tate/Pettgirew/RBs left ends us a season for us IMO. Maybe I would feel more comfortable with Evans or a Round 2 WR in the fold and I see them perform but right now everything still rides on Calvin healthy IMO. With Watkins in the mix, I don't think everything rides on Calvin then.

I think Watkins would get a ton of snaps and targets even with Tate and Calvin and Pettigrew and the RBs in the mix and would be a true difference maker. See 2011 targets structure for Detroit.

I like Taylor and Tapp as depth and I like Green and Greenwood as depth. And 4th round safety is still on the table and I'll give Isa Abdul Quddus a chance. Ihedigbo and Quin are both very durable too. Still have the comp picks for backup center and QB too.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

I just don't think we're a top #2 WR away from being a true contender. I don't think we should draft with the mindset of "What if Calvin Johnson gets hurt?". I think we can survive a few games without Calvin if we bring in a solid 2nd/3rd round WR, and if we can't then maybe Stafford is the problem.

I just don't think that Watkins is drastically better than the players that will be available to us at #10. When you combine that with the fact that WR certainly isn't a major need for us I don't understand why we would trade up for him. If you view him as an AJ Green/Julio Jones level of prospect, where he will almost certainly be a top 10 WR in the league and far better than the other prospects drafted around him, then I can kind of understand it.

I guess I just can't see him being better than the combined values of our #10, 2nd round, and 3rd round picks. Certainly not in this draft.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

I think we are relying on Jones/Taylor/Houston/Slay/Bentley/Ihedigbo anyway for 2014 as opposed to rookies. A Gilbert/Slay/Houston battle would be interesting. Long term it would be nice to have another young upgrade at CB/DE/Center but all those players I mentioned can improve too or improve over what we had (Delmas). I'm fine with Ansah, Jones, Taylor and Tapp at DE with Suh and Fairley at DT.

Watkins can be a number 1 long term. He's not Julio/AJ but he's a notch below IMO. He can be a 1,100-1,300 WR on his own eventually IMO. And for that I give up the 2 and 3. The Lions will play alot of 3 WR sets. Calvin healthy, Watkins can help the Lions greatly. Plus you still have three picks in Round 4.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:54 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hoping Desean lands with Oakland or Bills. Have to think that would have to remove Watkins from their boards and only bumps up our already slim chances of having him fall.

Last edited by detroit4life : 03-31-2014 at 08:22 AM.
detroit4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:42 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watkins isn't falling to 10. If we want him, we have to trade up.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:00 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think there is a chance he does. I think the top of the draft can go so many ways and as long as there is some QB needy teams, 3 elite OTs and 2 defensive difference makers, the top WR in a draft stocked at WR can certainly slide.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Fred Savage
Rookie

Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What does everyone think about Mike Evans at #10? From my Youtube scouting he looks good. Peoples opinions of him seem to differ greatly. Would he be worth the pick at 10, would he take our offense to a new level and be a legitimate weapon?
Fred Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:53 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Savage View Post
What does everyone think about Mike Evans at #10? From my Youtube scouting he looks good. Peoples opinions of him seem to differ greatly. Would he be worth the pick at 10, would he take our offense to a new level and be a legitimate weapon?
He would definitely take our offense to a new level. He's solid value at 10. There is a lot of talk that he'll be gone, likely to Buffalo. This draft is so deep though that its hard to tell. I personally feel we are going defense, but you never know.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:43 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
I still think there is a chance he does. I think the top of the draft can go so many ways and as long as there is some QB needy teams, 3 elite OTs and 2 defensive difference makers, the top WR in a draft stocked at WR can certainly slide.
Worst case scenario for Watkins, he goes 8 or 9, he'll never reach Detroit in a million years. Evans might be there but not Watkins. I could live with Evans but I just think a WR just as talented, will be available in round 2, so I'd prefer to draft defense in round 1, namely the top CB in the draft or a top Safety if no CB is worth a top 10 pick. I could also live with Lewan if that was our pick, as I think our OL is a little overrated.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:28 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Worst case scenario for Watkins, he goes 8 or 9, he'll never reach Detroit in a million years. Evans might be there but not Watkins. I could live with Evans but I just think a WR just as talented, will be available in round 2, so I'd prefer to draft defense in round 1, namely the top CB in the draft or a top Safety if no CB is worth a top 10 pick. I could also live with Lewan if that was our pick, as I think our OL is a little overrated.
Well understand where this came up. I stated I hope Desean lands in Oakland or Buffalo. If Buffalo signs Desean they aren't draft Watkins.

I also think there is a good chance Buffalo is one of the few teams in the draft with Evans as their #1 WR. With their current WR corps, a big WR fits their needs a lot more.

I'm not sitting here saying there is a good chance. But IAC you of all people who stress position value more than anyone else here. With 3 QBs and 3 LT's in this draft that are all worthy of going top 10 (Qbs more so due to the high level of need). Along with a DE and OLB considered to be elite, don't come around frequently type prospects. There is no reason to ever think someone won't slide. Especially considering the draft is also loaded with 8+ WRs that can come and make an impact starting on day 1. A slide is not out of the realm of possibility.

Not banking on the idea, but everything helps including desean signing with a team who is drafting in the top 9.