Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 05-03-2014, 01:38 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
I think few positions can make a bigger difference on a team than a great tight end. It adds depth to an offense.

I don't think we particularly have a hole, as a starter, at CB, Safety or (especially) linebacker. I am, however, all in favor of boosting depth at the position. I'm all for adding three defensive backs and a linebacker later in the draft.

Look at Pettigrew's contract. We can cut him next year with ease. That's not a commitment.
Well I guess that's the reason for our disagreements. I have TE pretty far down my list of positional priority.
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:40 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3 DBs?? No way IMO. Ideally 1, but maybe 2 if its either a late rounder or maybe Colvin(out for all or most of the year), or if its just ridiculous value. We have a ton of bodies at DB right now

CB - Houston,Slay,Mathis,Vaughn,Bentley,Greenwood,Green

S - Quin,Ihedigbo,Carey, plus the rugby guy and the dude with the AQ name.

We can definitely fit another S easily(though he might not see the field in year one), but fitting in another CB is going to be tough if he's not an elite prospect IMO.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:48 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Starting to look like the top 3 OTs will be off the board by 10. If 2 QBs go top 9 as well it should leave us with Evans in the worst case scenario.

If Evans is there I don't think there is an argument that he'd be the pick. If an OT is there I think we could have the chance to trade down.

I also wonder if a team like Pitt would move up for Evans. Supposedly they've promised Ben a big WR.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:51 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
3 DBs?? No way IMO. Ideally 1, but maybe 2 if its either a late rounder or maybe Colvin(out for all or most of the year), or if its just ridiculous value. We have a ton of bodies at DB right now

We can definitely fit another S easily(though he might not see the field in year one), but fitting in another CB is going to be tough if he's not an elite prospect IMO.
I have no problem getting rid of any of the cbs after Mathis for a decent rookie. Those guys have done very little to make me think they are long term solutions.

Same goes at safety besides Quinn and Ihedigbo.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
I have no problem getting rid of any of the cbs after Mathis for a decent rookie. Those guys have done very little to make me think they are long term solutions.

Same goes at safety besides Quinn and Ihedigbo.
Obviously, but at some point, once you have invested in all of those guys, you are going to give them a shot. Its a pretty bad team building strategy otherwise IMO.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
Starting to look like the top 3 OTs will be off the board by 10. If 2 QBs go top 9 as well it should leave us with Evans in the worst case scenario.

If Evans is there I don't think there is an argument that he'd be the pick. If an OT is there I think we could have the chance to trade down.

I also wonder if a team like Pitt would move up for Evans. Supposedly they've promised Ben a big WR.
Pitt moving to us for Evans would be pretty ideal. I think Lewan is going to fall due to character despite being a high end LT prospect.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:06 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

Quote:

In an ideal world, Mathis loses his roster spot via camp competition and Greenwood, Green and Vaughn's roster steps are far from guaranteed.

If you draft three defensive backs, ideally a corner and a safety would stay on the roster and one of them would be on the practice squad.
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think few positions can make a bigger difference on a team than a great tight end. It adds depth to an offense.

I don't think we particularly have a hole, as a starter, at CB, Safety or (especially) linebacker. I am, however, all in favor of boosting depth at the position. I'm all for adding three defensive backs and a linebacker later in the draft.

Look at Pettigrew's contract. We can cut him next year with ease. That's not a commitment.
Nevertheless, we resigned him so as you mentioned above, we don't have a hole there just yet.

I'm holding out for:

1) CB
2) WR
3) OC
4) S

I could see a trade back to get a CB at a value worth drafting one and pick up an extra pick, maybe a third.
Unfortunately, we cannot solve every problem in one draft, but I feel LB and OL other than OC, can wait for another year or later in this draft.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:15 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Nevertheless, we resigned him so as you mentioned above, we don't have a hole there just yet.

I'm holding out for:

1) CB
2) WR
3) OC
4) S

I could see a trade back to get a CB at a value worth drafting one and pick up an extra pick, maybe a third.
Unfortunately, we cannot solve every problem in one draft, but I feel LB and OL other than OC, can wait for another year or later in this draft.
With the picks we have, we can go Ebron in round 1 and still pick up a receiver, three defensive backs, an interior OL, DT and DE.

And with the record of our front office and coaching staff, we can draft unrefined but physically gifted prospects on the trenches and have reason to believe that we can groom them up.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:21 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Pitt moving to us for Evans would be pretty ideal. I think Lewan is going to fall due to character despite being a high end LT prospect.
That is my thought as well but Kiper is claiming that he won't fall past 6. I know that it's Kiper, but that's a pretty bold statement to make IMO.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
In an ideal world, Mathis loses his roster spot via camp competition and Greenwood, Green and Vaughn's roster steps are far from guaranteed.

If you draft three defensive backs, ideally a corner and a safety would stay on the roster and one of them would be on the practice squad.
Mathis was very good for us last year, I have no desire for him to lose his roster spot if he's going to play like last year, or close.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
That is my thought as well but Kiper is claiming that he won't fall past 6. I know that it's Kiper, but that's a pretty bold statement to make IMO.
6 is a weird spot, since that's Atlanta, but he won't get by TB and Buff.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:07 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

Quote:
Mathis was very good for us last year, I have no desire for him to lose his roster spot if he's going to play like last year, or close.
He absolutely was - he was our best corner.

But in an ideal world, the quality of competition in camp would be high enough to take away his roster spot. I want our young guys to be able to outplay the old guy. But they have to earn it.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Evans isn't going to fall to #10, you can forget that. We are looking at Lewan, perhaps Barr, Gilbert, and Ebron.

Given that scenario, I'd trade back 3 or 4 picks for a third and take my chances on either a CB or a Safety. If we stay at #10, Gilbert would be my #1, Barr #2 and Lewan #3. all 3 look delicious to me and can only improve our team.

I'd pick CB because if we don't get a stud back there, Rodgers and Cutler will shred our pass coverage to pieces and we will remain 3rd in our Division.

Barr is a very solid pick and might give us the pass rush to cover up our weak DB's.

I take Lewan and put him at RT. It would substantially improve our OL and protect Stafford from injury.

If we trade back, it is probably for either Dennard or Fuller if we go CB or Clinton-Dix or Pryor if we go Safety. Clinton-Dix might be the better cover Safety but I prefer Pryor who would give us some intimidation and toughness back there. That is what Delmas brought to the table and we are going to miss that.

IMO, anybody who thinks our back 4 is good enough to win a Division, is just kidding themselves.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:59 AM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Evans isn't going to fall to #10, you can forget that. We are looking at Lewan, perhaps Barr, Gilbert, and Ebron.

Given that scenario, I'd trade back 3 or 4 picks for a third and take my chances on either a CB or a Safety. If we stay at #10, Gilbert would be my #1, Barr #2 and Lewan #3. all 3 look delicious to me and can only improve our team.

I'd pick CB because if we don't get a stud back there, Rodgers and Cutler will shred our pass coverage to pieces and we will remain 3rd in our Division.

Barr is a very solid pick and might give us the pass rush to cover up our weak DB's.

I take Lewan and put him at RT. It would substantially improve our OL and protect Stafford from injury.

If we trade back, it is probably for either Dennard or Fuller if we go CB or Clinton-Dix or Pryor if we go Safety. Clinton-Dix might be the better cover Safety but I prefer Pryor who would give us some intimidation and toughness back there. That is what Delmas brought to the table and we are going to miss that.

IMO, anybody who thinks our back 4 is good enough to win a Division, is just kidding themselves.
Why would you put Lewan at RT instead of LT?
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:10 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

Quote:

No it wouldn't, because Lewan can't really give us substantially stronger play than we got last year from Waddle.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
With the picks we have, we can go Ebron in round 1 and still pick up a receiver, three defensive backs, an interior OL, DT and DE.

And with the record of our front office and coaching staff, we can draft unrefined but physically gifted prospects on the trenches and have reason to believe that we can groom them up.
I thought we just hired a completely new coaching staff, who knows what they can do? I'm not seeing a lot of coaching up coming from this team. Getting a lot of improvement from our rookies seems to be a hard chore.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:04 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
No it wouldn't, because Lewan can't really give us substantially stronger play than we got last year from Waddle.
Well, I think Lewan is a heck of a better prospect than Waddle. So, we'll just have to see how Waddle develops before I'll be crazy about him.

You could be right, maybe for once we struck it rich with a nobody and maybe I'm just too pessimistic, based on past experience with the Lions.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:17 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, I think Lewan is a heck of a better prospect than Waddle. So, we'll just have to see how Waddle develops before I'll be crazy about him.

You could be right, maybe for once we struck it rich with a nobody and maybe I'm just too pessimistic, based on past experience with the Lions.
It doesn't matter how they are or were as prospects, Waddle was damn good last year and drafting a replacement when he's cheap/young/effective is ******* stupid. We don't need a ******* tackle, stop forcing this ********.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:42 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am with you Canuck. Any place we can improve is worth the shot. I think Lewan is significantly better than Rieff or Waddle. You plug him in at LT and move Rieff to right and Waddle backs up RT if either gets hurt you get better with last year's line. With the possible exception of Fuller, I don't think any DB reaches the level of a Top Ten pick. Lewan, Barr or trade out.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can't pass on talent to fill a need.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:09 AM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

Quote:
I thought we just hired a completely new coaching staff, who knows what they can do? I'm not seeing a lot of coaching up coming from this team. Getting a lot of improvement from our rookies seems to be a hard chore.
We didn't. We kept our offensive and defensive line coaches.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
I am with you Canuck. Any place we can improve is worth the shot. I think Lewan is significantly better than Rieff or Waddle. You plug him in at LT and move Rieff to right and Waddle backs up RT if either gets hurt you get better with last year's line. With the possible exception of Fuller, I don't think any DB reaches the level of a Top Ten pick. Lewan, Barr or trade out.
Even if Lewan is "significantly" better than Rieff or Waddle, it would be very hard to improve the quality of our offensive line play. I see no benefit to our product on the field by using premium capital on the position.

We could use depth on the offensive line, especially in the interior. I'd like to draft a player who could replace Dom or Rob Sims.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:31 AM    (permalink
Fred Savage
Rookie

Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Per Clayton mailbag, Detroit will look to move up for Mike Evans if the price is not too high......
Fred Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:11 AM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

The NFL should never again force fans to put up with additional weeks of fake news.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:43 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
You can't pass on talent to fill a need.
You can when it's a titanic sized douchebag like Taylor Lewan, especially when there is ZERO need for a tackle.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote