Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 05-05-2014, 11:10 AM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
You can when it's a titanic sized douchebag like Taylor Lewan, especially when there is ZERO need for a tackle.
Obviously taking Lewan would be dependent on his character checking out. The team will be in a much better position to make that call than any of us as they've probably done a thorough background check on him and spent time interviewing him. With that said, there have been a ton of great players throughout history who you would probably call a "douchebag". Do we complain about Suh's personality when he's dominating games?

I'm not sure why everyone feels so committed to Reiff at LT when he was at best average last season. I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he'll suddenly be a top-level talent there in the future. I'm also not sure how people feel so confident in Waddle holding up at RT long-term. I get that he was solid there last season and I certainly think he deserves a shot but I'm going to need more than a 9 game sample size to really be confident in him.

Obviously OT is not a top priority for this team and certainly falls behind S/CB/TE as far as needs go. However, the point is that if you have a bunch of decent talents available at S/CB/TE and a guy you see as a premium player at OT you take the better talent. There's big room for improvement at LT and if you think a guy is capable of giving you that improvement you take him. Moving Reiff inside to guard over Sims wouldn't be a bad idea and if Waddle struggles we can always put Reiff at RT and let Waddle be a backup.

If you don't think that Lewan is better than the other prospects available than just ignore these posts. We're saying "If Lewan is superior to the other players available you take him".
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

triple post baby

Last edited by Nastradamus : 05-05-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:38 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

duplicate duplicate

Last edited by Nastradamus : 05-05-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:38 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

There's a difference between not being sold on a guy 100% long term and drafting his replacement after his stellar rookie year, while he is cheap, young and locked in for 3 more years.

I'd probably run up to the podium for Lewan if he had zero character issues, but he's the type of undisciplined player(on the field) we have been trying to get rid of . Its not a coincidence that Young and Delmas are gone IMO. His personality and the stuff you hear about him is reminiscent of the warning signs we got on Incognito, which scares the hell out of me.

Now if Matthews falls.......
Old 05-05-2014, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was his first full season starting at LT, and he was average to slightly above. Why the hell should he be replaced already? Backus put in that kind of production half the time he was here, and he started every game for 13 years.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Savage View Post
Per Clayton mailbag, Detroit will look to move up for Mike Evans if the price is not too high......
I'd give up a 3rd to move up for Evans. He's an incredible fit.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:08 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
There's a difference between not being sold on a guy 100% long term and drafting his replacement after his stellar rookie year, while he is cheap, young and locked in for 3 more years.

I'd probably run up to the podium for Lewan if he had zero character issues, but he's the type of undisciplined player(on the field) we have been trying to get rid of . Its not a coincidence that Young and Delmas are gone IMO. His personality and the stuff you hear about him is reminiscent of the warning signs we got on Incognito, which scares the hell out of me.

Now if Matthews falls.......
I'm not saying throw Waddle to the bench. If we draft Lewan, again under the assumption that he is clearly a superior prospect to the other guys available, we could move Reiff to G to replace Sims. If Waddle continues to play at a high level then we have nothing to worry about. However, if Waddle struggles we can replace him with Reiff and still be fine. It's a nice security to have instead of relying on the continued excellence of an undrafted free agent who started 8 games last season.

I'm completely in agreement regarding character concerns. I trust that the team will do a far more in-depth evaluation of his character than any of us are capable of doing. If they're concerned then they should pass on him. My evaluation was based on his character checking out.

If Matthews falls it's basically a no-brainer IMO. He would represent too much value for us to pass up on him.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
The NFL should never again force fans to put up with additional weeks of fake news.
Are you ever right on. The rumors flying around have reached epic proportions, which is exactly what the NFL(Goodall) wanted. 3 more weeks of headlines on the sport pages for football and on TV.

I know I'm sick of it and can't wait till Thursday night to see what really happens which is what Goodall is counting on, it's like the lead up to the Super Bowl. Too bad, baseball hasn't a clue how to promote their sport. Their draft is still back in the dark ages.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
It was his first full season starting at LT, and he was average to slightly above. Why the hell should he be replaced already? Backus put in that kind of production half the time he was here, and he started every game for 13 years.
And how many games did we win in those 13 years, how many playoff appearances, how many Super bowls???

Actually, I'm not necessarily thinking of replacing Reiff if he can beat out Lewan for the LT spot, but I'm not sold one bit on Waddle being a stud and a lot of talent appraisers have said the Lewan could be a sensational RT with his skill and toughness.

If a CB rates right with Lewan, I'd lean in that direction if the coaching staff is sold on Waddle and I wouldn't be upset if Barr was the pick, just anxious to know already who will be the pick, tired of talking about it over and over.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:31 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Take it for what it is worth, I have been told by recent Michigan graduates that they would frequently see Lewan very intoxicated and getting into altercations at parties. Not saying the kid couldn't become a good professional and leave college behind him, I just know drinking heavily and partying is in his past.

I like him as a prospect and what he does on the field, but I personally prefer not to go OT at #10 but there can certainly be value in that. I would like to give Waddle a chance and am comfortable going into the season with him there. He played well last year and to take another OT would essentially negate one of Mayhew's better accomplishments as our GM, which is solidifying the right side of our Oline with minimal investment. I understand there is a chance that his play was a fluke, but he maintained it and he appeared to be an incredible steal for us, to waste that by taking Lewan at #10 seems like a lateral move to me.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:01 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we take Beckham if Evans isn't there. But I still think there is a good chance Evans falls to 10. I think all 3 OTs and Donald can go in the top 9. Bills will pass up a WR for a OT and Bucs could go defense.

Either way, I think we want a premier WR at #10 and I think Evans and Beckham would both fit that and give us the potent offense we seem to be set on building.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone listen to Bill Simonson "Huge"?

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
Take it for what it is worth, I have been told by recent Michigan graduates that they would frequently see Lewan very intoxicated and getting into altercations at parties. Not saying the kid couldn't become a good professional and leave college behind him, I just know drinking heavily and partying is in his past.

I like him as a prospect and what he does on the field, but I personally prefer not to go OT at #10 but there can certainly be value in that. I would like to give Waddle a chance and am comfortable going into the season with him there. He played well last year and to take another OT would essentially negate one of Mayhew's better accomplishments as our GM, which is solidifying the right side of our Oline with minimal investment. I understand there is a chance that his play was a fluke, but he maintained it and he appeared to be an incredible steal for us, to waste that by taking Lewan at #10 seems like a lateral move to me.
I have no doubt that the coaching staff have judged just how good Waddle can be and unfortunately, we really don't know how they feel about him. If they are sold on Waddle, then I agree, definitely go in another direction, we'll know more on Thursday night when they make their selection.

Txs for the info on Lewan, makes one certainly stop and wonder and if they judge alcohol is a real problem, then I would pass by all means. The heavy drinking I don't like, but the partying, well, I went to university and the partying is hard to resist for anybody.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
I think we take Beckham if Evans isn't there. But I still think there is a good chance Evans falls to 10. I think all 3 OTs and Donald can go in the top 9. Bills will pass up a WR for a OT and Bucs could go defense.

Either way, I think we want a premier WR at #10 and I think Evans and Beckham would both fit that and give us the potent offense we seem to be set on building.
Well, I can see Beckham being there but Evans is very doubtful. I really don't think a short DT has any shot at going top 10 in this talented draft, no matter how many posters mock him there.

I still think we can get a solid 3rd option at WR in round 2 even though Mayhew has had serious problems finding one with that pick. I'd hate to waste the #10 pick on a 3rd option at WR when we still have Bush and Pettigrew as other options. That would be overkill IMO. I'd much prefer building up the defense over offense at this stage, with a huge stud on defense like Barr or Gilbert.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Writing Donald off as a short DT is just wrong IMO. He's a pretty rare combination of athleticism,production and work ethic.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Just for everybody viewing, here is Mayock's top 100, sure has a lot of surprises and should make Thursday night even more interesting. Throws our pick up for grabs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-100-prospects
Old 05-06-2014, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dennard, Kyle Fuller and Beckham could easily be the pick 10 too IMO. I'd be interested to see how Mayhew rates the CBs and Beckham/Ebron.

I guess we'll find out with whoever he takes unless a CB is off the board before 10.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:25 AM    (permalink
Fred Savage
Rookie

Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ian Rappaport reports Bills and Lions looking for bargain move into the top 5, most likely with Jacksonville.

Watkins, Evans, Mack?
Fred Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:28 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

I keep hearing that us and the Bills are the 2 teams most active in discussions to move up, but I am also hearing that we are looking for discounts. I am sure we will offer a package that will not be a blockbuster and simply see if they take it. But I don't see us overpaying for the trade up and therefore I don't see us moving up higher than 5.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:36 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Well, I can see Beckham being there but Evans is very doubtful. I really don't think a short DT has any shot at going top 10 in this talented draft, no matter how many posters mock him there.

I still think we can get a solid 3rd option at WR in round 2 even though Mayhew has had serious problems finding one with that pick. I'd hate to waste the #10 pick on a 3rd option at WR when we still have Bush and Pettigrew as other options. That would be overkill IMO. I'd much prefer building up the defense over offense at this stage, with a huge stud on defense like Barr or Gilbert.
I agree but I do think that Beckham is a very good player that is simply being overshadowed a bit by Watkins. There's a good chance a team takes Beckham over Evans (cough Raiders cough).

Based off the Mayock top 100, I think that only further shows that there is a chance Evans is there. The top 6 will be off the board IMO, if 2 QBs also go top 9 there is a great chance Evans falls. All signs point to Minnesota taking Barr or Donald IMO. They seem to be dead set on a front 7 guy.

I'm not sayng Evans should fall, I am simply saying that I think if 3 OTs go before us along with 2 QBs, Evans is the most likely guy to fall in our lap.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe This Year Mayhew View Post
Dennard, Kyle Fuller and Beckham could easily be the pick 10 too IMO. I'd be interested to see how Mayhew rates the CBs and Beckham/Ebron.

I guess we'll find out with whoever he takes unless a CB is off the board before 10.
I'd have a hard time rating Beckham over Ebron for us. We need size more, short WRs don't usually go that high and Ebron is just a much more rare type of talent. I'm a huge Beckham fan and he is in the next group of talent, I just can't put him over Ebron. Particularly for us.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Just for everybody viewing, here is Mayock's top 100, sure has a lot of surprises and should make Thursday night even more interesting. Throws our pick up for grabs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-100-prospects
Even your boy has Donald 12th.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Savage View Post
Ian Rappaport reports Bills and Lions looking for bargain move into the top 5, most likely with Jacksonville.

Watkins, Evans, Mack?
I think moving up could be cheap. Miami moved from 12 to 3 for a 2nd last year. This draft is more top heavy, but also deeper, so I think the value could be the same or less.

I doubt we have a particular target at this point. JMO. I think Mayhew places a really high value on the top 3-4 players in this draft, who he referred to as blue chips, while calling the next group red chips. I think he'd move up for whoever was good value. Probably more so the 2 pass rushers and Watkins though.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:53 AM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

Quote:
I'd have a hard time rating Beckham over Ebron for us. We need size more, short WRs don't usually go that high and Ebron is just a much more rare type of talent. I'm a huge Beckham fan and he is in the next group of talent, I just can't put him over Ebron. Particularly for us.
As much as I dislike taking Ebron at #10 I have to agree here. Taking Beckham at #10 would be awful IMO. I don't see how he could be rated as a top 10 talent, WR is pretty far down our list of needs, and it's the deepest position in this draft.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:57 AM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

Quote:
I think moving up could be cheap. Miami moved from 12 to 3 for a 2nd last year. This draft is more top heavy, but also deeper, so I think the value could be the same or less.

I doubt we have a particular target at this point. JMO. I think Mayhew places a really high value on the top 3-4 players in this draft, who he referred to as blue chips, while calling the next group red chips. I think he'd move up for whoever was good value. Probably more so the 2 pass rushers and Watkins though.
I've been saying something similar for some time now. Everybody links us to Watkins but I really took that comment by Mayhew about the top tier of prospects seriously. The difference between Mack/Clowney/Watkins and the guys likely to be available at #10 is big enough to be worth a 2nd or even slightly more IMO. I don't think we get the same deal Miami got though. We'd have to find the right trade partner to make the move up worth it.