Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 05-10-2014, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Fred Savage
Rookie

Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Travis Swanson:

4 year starter and 2 year captain for Arkansas.

Works hard to finish blocks.

Their new HC Bielema brought a physicality to Arkansas's OL and Swanson really bought in.

He gets good head position and is very quick laterally, with long arms to steer and turn his target.

Excellent puller and makes good contact and follows through.

Explosive at the point of attack and plays with a nasty attitude.

In a lot of drafts, he would have been a 2nd rounder.
Dumb question...can he play guard as well?
Fred Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was annoyed to see Vereen nabbed by the Bears but I like Lawson.

QB would be great next since I'm not too attached to as anyone that's left.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:08 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could see mettingberger in the lions here
Old 05-10-2014, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Savage View Post
Dumb question...can he play guard as well?
I don't believe he ever played OG in college but at 6'5", 310 lbs, he could probably fill in.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Fred Savage
Rookie

Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heard good things about the DT from Princeton. This looks like a pretty solid draft. One solid sexy luxury pick, which is what you do in the top 10, and the rest filled some needs.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Matty B
Rookie

Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Overall for day 3, disappointed. Really wish we would have grabbed a guard in Yankey, Richardson or Dozier.
Matty B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm thrilled with it. We already drafted a fill in interior lineman in round 3. We hit on some dt insurance, added some #3 and #4 types at corner and wr.

We can draft a guard next year. No need to mess with Sim's mind yet by drafting his replacement.

I would have liked a safety but I'll live with it. Hopefully our front 7 can mask it.

I still remember the Millen years when picks taken after the third round never even made the roster.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:41 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I'm thrilled with it. We already drafted a fill in interior lineman in round 3. We hit on some dt insurance, added some #3 and #4 types at corner and wr.

We can draft a guard next year. No need to mess with Sim's mind yet by drafting his replacement.

I would have liked a safety but I'll live with it. Hopefully our front 7 can mask it.

I still remember the Millen years when picks taken after the third round never even made the roster.
Sims could easily be overtaken this year; I would not be surprised at all.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Leonsandcastle
Rookie

Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leonsandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

UDFA so far

QB James Franklin Missouri
TE Jacob Maxwell Louisiana-Lafayette
OT Cornelius Lucas Kansas State
OT D.J. Morrell Old Dominion
WR Andrew Peacock Appalachian State
CB Mohammed Seisay Nebraska
S Jerome Couplin William & Mary
S Gabe Lynn Oklahoma
Leonsandcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:28 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like our draft. I don't know much about them, but Larry Webster and Caraun Reid both seem to have pretty good potential. Webster especially. TJ Jones should be a reliable WR. Ebron and Swanson should both upgrade holes on the Offense as long as they turn out.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reid,Webster and JOnes were all big targets for me through the whole process and I wanted a CB in the 4th and a K in the 7th. Win all around for me.

Our front 7 is pretty loaded with length and athleticism.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

B+ from me.

Trade losing 4th round value(lose McGill) and no backup qb only questions

But like all the picks and scouting reports I've read on the ones I didn't know.

No reaches, all good value
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:12 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

And those who were picked in the top 3, just as often flopped as were successful.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:01 AM    (permalink
Matty B
Rookie

Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know, after I had a day to let it settle and do some research on these players, I'm starting to warm up to this draft. Like a lot.

In the beginning, I hated this draft. I hated the Ebron pick, I liked day two, and then I had very mixed feelings about day three. But overall looking back, prematurely this was actually a pretty good haul for us. It may not have been who we all wanted but we have some quality players

Ebron is a VERY good player. People are over looking that because TE was not an immediate need. Were people mad when we took Fairly a few years ago when we din't need him? I was upset about Ebron at first too but he's only going to make us better. He's going to be a starter

KVN is someone who I've wanted since last year when I heard about him. So glad we got him, he fills a need and is an impact player. He's going to be a starter

Swanson used to be ranked as the #1 center until he had a rough senior bowl who started every game of his college career in the SEC. I'll take that as a development project. He will eventually be a starter.

Webster is super raw and our team seems to have good luck with that. This is the player im most concerned about. He probably will be a rotational player. Hey, depth is cool too!

Lawson is short, but he's a fighter. He's not going to be our #1 or even our #2 corner. He's depth at the very least. I'm excited to see this battle at camp between him and Bentley. I'd even like to see him try out at SS maybe?

Reid we got an excellent deal on. He can really develop into a solid starter. He's going to be a rotational player.

Freese is honestly probably my favorite pick of the entire draft. We got a kicker who we will hopefully have for another 20+ years. Honestly didn't know about him until we drafted him but after looking him up, the more I read on this guy the more I like. He's a starter.

So 4 out of 7 of our picks will be starters and the other could develop into rotational players or at the very least depth for when our starters get injured. I would say this is a great draft. Not as great as last year (well, at least at this stage is doesn't look like it.) But I'm happy with it.
Matty B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Fred Savage
Rookie

Great draft IMO. Hopefully Ebron pans out (I think he will). I am sick of having to defend the pick to every casual fan.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:25 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am going to hold my judgement on the Ebron pick until I see how he is used. I still believe that if he doesn't put up WR#2 type numbers then it was not good value at #10. If we do in fact use him as a vocal part of the offense and his presence in the middle opens up the outside for Calvin and Tate, then it's a great pick. I don't doubt his ability as a player, I simply doubt the value of a TE that high.

I love the Van Noy pick, he will be a great x-factor on the defense and gives us the ability to give different looks to the QB and bring pressure from all over. I really think the addition of him puts our front 7 in the same conversation of San Fran and Carolina. Our strength is still on the Dline while their's is in their LBs, but from the point of being difficult to play against, we are right up there.

I like the swanson pick but was disappointed to see Marcus Martin go just before us. I certainly liked him more but it is hard to complain about a 4 year starter in the SEC. I do think he can play guard but I only see that happening this year if an injury happens. Swanson's biggest knock is lack of strength, I think that is an easy fix with a year to play back up and a year in the weightroom with our staff.

I love the rest of our picks and I think it was very similar to our draft last year with some developmental talent and that can be coached into guys that can play a role on the team. I feel as if we are loaded on the Dline now and if the coaches can develop one or two of these guys, this is going to be an elite strength for years to come, even if we do in fact let Fairley and Jones walk after this year.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:18 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
I am going to hold my judgement on the Ebron pick until I see how he is used. I still believe that if he doesn't put up WR#2 type numbers then it was not good value at #10. If we do in fact use him as a vocal part of the offense and his presence in the middle opens up the outside for Calvin and Tate, then it's a great pick. I don't doubt his ability as a player, I simply doubt the value of a TE that high.

I love the Van Noy pick, he will be a great x-factor on the defense and gives us the ability to give different looks to the QB and bring pressure from all over. I really think the addition of him puts our front 7 in the same conversation of San Fran and Carolina. Our strength is still on the Dline while their's is in their LBs, but from the point of being difficult to play against, we are right up there.

I like the swanson pick but was disappointed to see Marcus Martin go just before us. I certainly liked him more but it is hard to complain about a 4 year starter in the SEC. I do think he can play guard but I only see that happening this year if an injury happens. Swanson's biggest knock is lack of strength, I think that is an easy fix with a year to play back up and a year in the weightroom with our staff.

I love the rest of our picks and I think it was very similar to our draft last year with some developmental talent and that can be coached into guys that can play a role on the team. I feel as if we are loaded on the Dline now and if the coaches can develop one or two of these guys, this is going to be an elite strength for years to come, even if we do in fact let Fairley and Jones walk after this year.
Ebron's value is he is a matchup nightmare. But agreed he needs 700-800 yards per year to make 10 worth it plus being a matchup nightmare.

Agreed on Van Noy completing the front 7. Can't wait to see how Austin brings the blitz. Jones occupying the blocker and Van Noy blitzing hard, can't wait.

I don't think Swanson can play guard either and it was a little early for him. But with the Round 2 trade, we had to go center at 76.

I think Webster can become a Willie Young type and I think Reid can be a better player than Sammie Lee Hill.

Lawson has special teams value and can compete with Bentley in the slot. Given the run on CBs I'll take him. It's too bad we lost value in the 4th with that trade. Only sour note. And we got our kicker.

I really like TJ Jones too. Ebron will eat up slot time obviously but with Broyles injury history and Ross mainly a special teams guy, Jones will have a shot to be the possesion slot guy.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:04 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Early 2015 needs for this team:

Safety- Let's see how Ihedigbo works out this year but I expect safety to be a weakness for us and I assume this will sit atop our list of needs all year. Hopefully there are some playmakers coming out next year.

CB- We are banking on Houston having a bounce back year. Even is he does, I still believe he is a candidate for a cap casualty after the year. Due to lack of talent behind him maybe he gets one more year, but there is little doubt that we need to address this position soon to find a future starter across from Slay. Speaking of which, let's also hope he takes a big step forward and locks down one of the starting spots this year.

OG- This is probably Sims last year as well. The way we have drafted the past 2 years, I think Mayhew may certainly continue his trend of Oline in the 3rd, completing our overhaul of our interior line is a pretty painless 3 year transition.

WR- Still no 3rd WR option, Ebron will fill it this year along with Broyles. Hopefully Broyles stays healthy, and maybe Ross or Jones can step up to provide the depth behind our top 2 to eliminate this need for us. It's not like the offense lacks weapons, but if Calvin or Tate goes down, there is very little at WR to fill the void.

RB- with the value of RBs in the league decreasing each year, it is becoming more apparent that Bush is overpaid. If his fumbles continue, he has to be cut. There is a good chance he is a cap casualty and with Bell there, it shouldn't be hard to find a complimentary guy in the backfield to him with a much cheaper price tag than Bush.

Other Potential needs:

DT- I doubt Suh is going anywhere, but you have to think Fairley will be allowed to walk in FA. Hopefully we get enough production from our other DTs to fill his hole internally.

DE- This depends on the progression of our young DEs. If all goes well, lets hope we don't need to address this position again. Plenty of young talent there to hope that we can let Jason Jones depart and let the next guy step in.

OT- Waddle is the RT this year. Played great last year but if he struggles it will be very easy for us to find a replacement next year and put him on the bench.

Obviously a lot will change over the year. hopefully some of these weaknesses get filled by an unexpected source. We have some young CBs entering years that should be viewed as make or break. They should get plenty of chances at playing time too as injuries in the secondary are bound to occur. But as of now, our secondary appears to be the real glaring weakness of the team. Some other needs will arise as roster moves get made.

Overall I like where this team is at and do believe we will compete for the playoffs. Hopefully we can continue to get heavy pressure on the QB and hide our secondary. I think we will be very aggressive and hopefully we will be playing with a lead most of the time and allow Austin to dial up blitzes frequently.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The defenses in the NFC are getting really good. Al the teams in our division have upgraded their Ds and the NFCW is stacked with defense. Plus a few others around the conference. That's why I think Ebron was so key. They will take away your first and maybe 2nd option. You have to be able to make plays with your 3rd and 4th options. We can do that.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

While our secondary has question marks, I feel relatively comfortable about it. Lawson and Bentley will compete in the slot and should be able to hold it down and we have 5 guys to compete for the 2 outside spots. I'm really hoping Greenwood can step up and live up to his potential.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:27 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
The defenses in the NFC are getting really good. Al the teams in our division have upgraded their Ds and the NFCW is stacked with defense. Plus a few others around the conference. That's why I think Ebron was so key. They will take away your first and maybe 2nd option. You have to be able to make plays with your 3rd and 4th options. We can do that.
Agreed, I am hoping that we make a real effort next year to do the same and invest the majority of our picks in the defensive side of the ball. With the additions of Ebron and Swanson who will be a starter next year. I view our offense as a finished product. A WR#3 will likely be necessary but right now I view Ebron as that guy and hope someone on the roster can step us as well. Really hoping Broyles can stay healthy. He could be a real wild card.

But our defense is behind the rest of the league and my biggest concern is that young DBs typically take a year or 2 anyway to adjust to the NFL. Which means that our secondary is atleast 2 years away from any real improvement without a big FA signing. Things could get a lot worse as well if Slay does not make significant improvement.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
Agreed, I am hoping that we make a real effort next year to do the same and invest the majority of our picks in the defensive side of the ball. With the additions of Ebron and Swanson who will be a starter next year. I view our offense as a finished product. A WR#3 will likely be necessary but right now I view Ebron as that guy and hope someone on the roster can step us as well. Really hoping Broyles can stay healthy. He could be a real wild card.

But our defense is behind the rest of the league and my biggest concern is that young DBs typically take a year or 2 anyway to adjust to the NFL. Which means that our secondary is atleast 2 years away from any real improvement without a big FA signing. Things could get a lot worse as well if Slay does not make significant improvement.
I have some faith in Greenwood too. He did well his 2 games he played last year. Bentley/Lawson/Vaughn can battle for the slot CB spot still and Mathis can play there too if he's not already on the outside. I think they need to keep Houston in 2015 now unless he has another bad year or another big injury.

Houston back to 2011/2012 form and Slay taking a big step in year 2. I understand why Mayhew would want to see if that works. Both those guys can play when healthy and with experience. Slay is 6'1 and ran faster than Gilbert. You give that guy a shot with one year under his belt. And Slays Thanksgiving and Week 17 were good. Bengals game and Browns game were solid. Struggled early and Bears/Cowboys games.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

I'd still like to put in a good word for Bush. Few people realize how much Bush impacts a game by creating space for our other WR's. Defenses cannot ignore him and must account for him on every play, reducing the coverage on our other WR's/TE's and he can be counted on for a 1000 yards rushing. Sure, he fumbles the ball more than I would like, but he opens up the field for his teammates even if he doesn't touch the ball.

If we cannot consistently score with this offense, than Stafford may be labelled a flop. We should be no worse than 2nd in our Division and make a serious run at the playoffs.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Anything less than 10 wins would disappoint me for the team.

I'm hoping for 27+ ppg from the offense and 21 ppg or less from the defense.