Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Falcons to trade 3rd round pick for Deltha O'Neal

Links;

New Era Scouting

Quote:
- Reports are that a Deltha O'Neal trade is likely to happen soon to the Atlanta Falcons in exchange for a third-round pick.
Adam Schefter's article

Quote:
MORE ATLANTA DEALINGS

Landry is one piece that the Falcons are attempting to add to their secondary. The other is Cincinnati Bengals former Pro Bowl cornerback Deltha O'Neal.

The Falcons and Bengals have entered exploratory trade discussions about Atlanta landing O'Neal to team with DeAngelo Hall. Atlanta has been looking to add a second corner since the start of free agency, when it inquired about then-Detroit cornerback Dre' Bly. The team failed to trade for Bly, but it seems to have a greater chance at landing O'Neal, whom Cincinnati is looking to unload.

Hall would love to add O'Neal, and the Falcons are trying to see if they can make it happen. Trading for O'Neal would be a continuation of a busy offseason for Atlanta that shows few signs of letting up.

The club tried trading for Bly, lost defensive end Patrick Kerney, dealt quarterback Matt Schaub, moved up in the draft, is in talks with Chicago's free-agent defensive tackle Ian Scott, could wind up releasing defensive tackle Grady Jackson, and is digging in on O'Neal.

Busy offseason everywhere. Especially busy in Atlanta.

Interesting, to say the least. I'm curious as to why they would make clear, they intent to use Jimmy Williams at corner, then that week trade a day-1 pick on a corner. Misinformation, perhaps? Thoughts that come to mind;

1. The team wants Jimmy Williams at corner, but are not confident in him as a starter yet.

2. Bobby Petrino was using coach speak, about Jimmy Williams' position, and once the team gets O'Neal, they move him to Safety beginning in O.T.As.

3. In a division with New Orleans, Tampa Bay possibly with Calvin Johnson, Carolina with Smith, Johnson, you need as many corners as possible.

Last edited by Shiver : 03-29-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow all it would take is a 3rd, thats a steal.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:08 PM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hmmm curious trade considering the Bengals are rather thin in the secondary.

They lost their starting FS and #1 Corner now and they have two over the hill starters in SS Dexter Jackson and CB Tory James.....
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:13 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

O'Neal is trash. He really didn't deserve the Pro Bowl. He just had tons of picks. Well he's not trash, but he's not reliable and can be abused by physical wideouts. I'd put him in the nickel where he can excel against slot guys and jump on short to intermediate routes. This would spell the end for Webster in ATL.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
O'Neal is trash. He really didn't deserve the Pro Bowl. He just had tons of picks. Well he's not trash, but he's not reliable and can be abused by physical wideouts. I'd put him in the nickel where he can excel against slot guys and jump on short to intermediate routes. This would spell the end for Webster in ATL.
Long awaited, and oh so hoped for.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:17 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

INteresting.. interesting..

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if this happens, it becomes clear that they would spend their first rounder on another corner ?

RIP, Sean Taylor.
critesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

And I got killed for giving the Falcons a CB in my mocks. Hm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Interesting, to say the least. I'm curious as to why they would make clear, they intent to use Jimmy Williams at corner, then that week trade a day-1 pick on a corner. Misinformation, perhaps? Thoughts that come to mind;

1. The team wants Jimmy Williams at corner, but are not confident in him as a starter yet.

2. Bobby Petrino was using coach speak, about Jimmy Williams' position, and once the team gets O'Neal, they move him to Safety beginning in O.T.As.

3. In a division with New Orleans, Tampa Bay possibly with Calvin Johnson, Carolina with Smith, Johnson, you need as many corners as possible.
You forgot a 4th reason that could be a better option then all the ones listed above. They trade for O'Neal. Move Williams to FS and suddenly the DB issues are solved. They can now take Louisville product Amobi Okoye in the 1st round and only need a day 2 DB. I'm sure Bobby P would love to have his guy playing for him again. College coaches that transition to the NFL tend to get surround themselves with familar players.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:32 PM    (permalink
mcdlaxbonz13
Veteran

mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

anyone else see them drafting bush as well

Sig by jkpigskin , thanks.
mcdlaxbonz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
They trade for O'Neal. Move Williams to FS and suddenly the DB issues are solved. They can now take Louisville product Amobi Okoye in the 1st round and only need a day 2 DB. I'm sure Bobby P would love to have his guy playing for him again. College coaches that transition to the NFL tend to get surround themselves with familar players.

Adding Lewis Sanders, a decent back-up, and then trading a day-1 pick for a starter, would lend credence to that theory. Still, if that's the case, why would Petrino state that they are keeping Williams at corner just a day ago? I don't know what to think.

As for Amobi Okoye, I wouldn't mind, and I could see it happening. That said; it's Rich McKay's show to run, and he's a fanatical "B.P.A" drafter. If someone slips further than expected, like a Adrian Peterson, Laron Landry, that will likely be the pick.

Last edited by Shiver : 03-29-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:39 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3rd round pick? doubt it. I bet it's our first 4th rounder though. New Era isn't very reliable in terms of gettign the details of these things right. if it's anything it's a 4th. And this trade is for a nickel corner. umber 10 you had us taking guys like Leon Hall in the first in spots they weren't worth the pick. we don't need a starter at CB because it's Jimmy and D-lo as our starters. this woudl eb a fien trade for a good nickel.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
And I got killed for giving the Falcons a CB in my mocks. Hm.
Drafting one and trading for one are different things. Adding an established CB versus spending another pick on another youngin' make for a big difference.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:48 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Drafting one and trading for one are different things. Adding an established CB versus spending another pick on another youngin' make for a big difference.
Especially when that pick he's referring to, was the 10th pick for Leon Hall, whom a lot of people don't like.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

But the reasoning behind it was that they didn't need another body at CB. I'm personally still not sold that Williams is a future CB.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 03-29-2007, 11:52 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
But the reasoning behind it was that they didn't need another body at CB. I'm personally still not sold that Williams is a future CB.
Neither am I. I don't understand why you would sign Lewis Sanders, a decent NCB, and trade a day-1 pick for Deltha O'Neal, and NOT move Jimmy Williams to Safety. I know Petrino said Williams was a corner, recently, but the actions of the team send a different message. Coachspeak? I don't know. Honestly, I am lost.

I think the main reason you got heat for your pick, was most of the Falcons' fans don't like Leon Hall, more than anything else.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Neither am I. I don't understand why you would sign Lewis Sanders, a decent NCB, and trade a day-1 pick for Deltha O'Neal, and NOT move Jimmy Williams to Safety. I know Petrino said Williams was a corner, recently, but the actions of the team send a different message. Coachspeak? I don't know. Honestly, I am lost.

I think the main reason you got heat for your pick, was most of the Falcons' fans don't like Leon Hall, more than anything else.
I hate Hall myself, and I'd be pissed if his name is called at 20....but I took the heat because of the position, not player.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 03-30-2007, 12:02 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now the Falcons need to trade up to that sweet #2 spot with my Lions for CJ.. Yes.. they do..

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Now the Falcons need to trade up to that sweet #2 spot with my Lions for CJ.. Yes.. they do..

Eh, at first I hated the idea. But since Petrino wants a lethal passing attack, making Vick a pass first, second, run third, Quarterback, I've softened my stance. As long as it doesn't cost too much.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:07 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am just as confused as you are. We sign a CB in the beginning of FA. Petrino releases a statement that Jimmy Williams will play CB. Now we are to trade a first day pick to get a veteran CB?

You think maybe he is addressing all the needs to draft up for Calvin Johnson? It could seem like it. We needed to address OG, DB positions, but we might not need to use our high picks to address those positions. I am not a fanatic for CJ, but do you think it is possible?

Edit: Damn. Someone pointed out the possibility while i was writing.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:14 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
I am just as confused as you are. We sign a CB in the beginning of FA. Petrino releases a statement that Jimmy Williams will play CB. Now we are to trade a first day pick to get a veteran CB?

You think maybe he is addressing all the needs to draft up for Calvin Johnson? It could seem like it. We needed to address OG, DB positions, but we might not need to use our high picks to address those positions. I am not a fanatic for CJ, but do you think it is possible?

Edit: Damn. Someone pointed out the possibility while i was writing.
I personally want the team to move Jimmy Williams to safety. I've watched enough of him, read enough, to think that. Meanwhile, while the coach speak says one thing, the tea leaves leave a different interpretation. Right now, there is a quagmire at the Corner position, while the team is shallow at Safety. It just makes sense to move Williams.

As for DE, it sounds like the team likes the Chauncey Davis / Paul Carrington, platoon at LE. Enough, to the point where a situational pass rusher is all that is needed.

The O-Line still needs some work. Maybe one more body in the LG competition, though from what I've read, the team really likes Quinn Ojinnaka. A LT would be nice, to eventually replace Wayne Gandy.

As for Calvin Johnson, as long as it only takes one of our 2nd rounders, even if the package includes a '08 pick, I'm fine with it.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:29 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On a side note, if they sign Ian Scott, as unspectacular but solid as he is, I think that would push them away from Amobi Okoye. The concern at DT is with Grady Jackson, who is coming off surgery. If they can add Scott to pair up with Coleman, I can't see them pursuing an DT that high. Now, if the Scott thing falls through, then Okoye is definitely a high consideration.

As for the potential trade, I think it's mainly for depth motivations to protect themselves. O'Neal's just not that good. While I've never been a big fan of Jimmy Williams, he can potentially work for Mike Zimmer akin to how a healthy Anthony Henry worked for Zimmer (albeit, different schemes, just some base comparisons on skills).
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:53 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Links;

New Era Scouting

Adam Schefter's article

Hall and O'neal backed up by Jimmy Williams at strong safety and Landry at Free is down right terrifying.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:02 AM    (permalink
FLORIDA PACKER
Rookie

FLORIDA PACKER hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 255979119 View Post
Hmmm curious trade considering the Bengals are rather thin in the secondary.

They lost their starting FS and #1 Corner now and they have two over the hill starters in SS Dexter Jackson and CB Tory James.....
Starting FS? Um No, Last I checked Madieu Williams was still in town, Kevin Kasveirharn, Nickel man and Back up Safety left for New Orleans if thats who you mean. Tory James is No longer on the team, released a few months back. Dexter is still capable of playing solid football his only down fall is injury troubles that took a tole on him last season.

As of now Secondary Looks like this(assuming Deltha is traded)

CB1-Jonathen Joseph

CB2- Keiwan Ratliff

FS- Madieu Williams

SS- Dexter Jackson

Keiwan is one of my favorite players, but many are down on him, and he's much more suited to a nickel role. I say Bengals go Either Revis round 1 if this goes down, or attempt to grab a guy lie Fred Bennett(JJ's college runnin mate!) later on day one.
FLORIDA PACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:57 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
Hall and O'neal backed up by Jimmy Williams at strong safety and Landry at Free is down right terrifying.
That's what I was thinking. The way Jimmy plays in run support, the way he tackles, I would love him at SS.