Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

View Poll Results: What did you think of the Bruce Irvin pick?
Bad pick because there were MANY better players, including pass rushers, on the board. 32 28.57%
Bad pick because of his character red flags. He'll do something stupid. 5 4.46%
Bad pick because he's simply not that good/a development project. 6 5.36%
Bad pick because he's developmental AND has character issues. Too risky. He'll flame out. 26 23.21%
Good pick, but one or two other DEs would have been better. 21 18.75%
Great pick, best pass rusher. NFL knew, media didn't. Perfect fit. He'll prove 'em all wrong. 22 19.64%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2012, 10:50 PM    (permalink
FrankGore
Rookie

FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And again, I'm not talking about anyone's outside perspective. It is my perspective, just like anyone else here has their own perspective. I wouldn't have spent a top 15 pick on Bruce Irvin.

We'll see if it pans out, I'm certainly not the one writing the story to his career. Maybe Carroll gets what he wants out of him and he becomes a 15-sack guy. I'm not telling you he won't be, I just think you can use this logic for ANY team drafting and say they made a great decision. IE. the Chiefs taking Dontari Poe is a "ball of clay", the Jets with Stephen Hill is a "ball of clay", etc. Usually when you have to use that term it means the guy has a long way to go as a football player. Which Bruce Irvin does. There's no disputing that.

The Seahawks are free to draft as they want and obviously they feel good about the choice, so do the fans. I think there's a chance he'll be great, but it involves a lot of things going right. We'll see if they do.
FrankGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:51 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Same reason you use words like "butthurt" and "slammed."

TO PISS YOU OFF, *****!
Why would I be pissed off? My team didn't draft Bruce Irvin.

Also love how OP asked what YOU think and then everyone immediately goes, what you think is wrong. What the pro scouts think is all that matters. Don't ask what people think if you don't want personal opinions.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post

Also love how OP asked what YOU think and then everyone immediately goes, what you think is wrong. What the pro scouts think is all that matters. Don't ask what people think if you don't want personal opinions.
Yeah, I agree. The Appeal to Authority arguments are getting a bit out of hand now that the Draft is over.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:00 PM    (permalink
FrankGore
Rookie

FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Yeah, I agree. The Appeal to Authority arguments are getting a bit out of hand now that the Draft is over.
We're dangerously close to "they're in the NFL, they know more than you" statements. Often times, they don't know very much. That's why there's constant upheaval and firings each year. Very few teams have truly earned the trust of that type of argument.
FrankGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankGore View Post
And again, I'm not talking about anyone's outside perspective. It is my perspective, just like anyone else here has their own perspective. I wouldn't have spent a top 15 pick on Bruce Irvin.

We'll see if it pans out, I'm certainly not the one writing the story to his career. Maybe Carroll gets what he wants out of him and he becomes a 15-sack guy. I'm not telling you he won't be, I just think you can use this logic for ANY team drafting and say they made a great decision. IE. the Chiefs taking Dontari Poe is a "ball of clay", the Jets with Stephen Hill is a "ball of clay", etc. Usually when you have to use that term it means the guy has a long way to go as a football player. Which Bruce Irvin does. There's no disputing that.

The Seahawks are free to draft as they want and obviously they feel good about the choice, so do the fans. I think there's a chance he'll be great, but it involves a lot of things going right. We'll see if they do.
Went back to re-read your post just to make sure I wasn't creating an argument where there wasn't one, and realized I'd been kind of unclear, at least as far as my intention in including that part of your post in my response. I was thinking about how people talk about prospects' value; you say he's a "late-first, but not a mid-first guy," or something along those lines. Thing is, that doesn't take into account the teams that are waiting in the late first, mid-first, or anywhere else. So it's not you saying "I think he's a late-first" and then me saying, "No! you're wrong!"

It's not simply a matter of how we rank them against other prospects, but according to the needs of the team - and I suppose my point is that I think that is how TEAMS do it. As draftniks, we never rank for teams. So when a guy like Irvin goes high, we go, "Ooooh... has got a lot of work to do. I had him in the 30's." But for an NFL team, particularly one where he could be an impact player at a position of need, they're just thinking, "This player excites us more than anyone else on our board, let's take him now instead of hoping he doesn't fall."

I don't know. I'm just seeing a lot of, "There were so many prospects I had ranked higher!"-types of responses, and I think the fact that we are basically making ranking lists of players we think have the best chance of being successful pros, the perspective of a coach or GM considering which guy they're going to draft is just a whole different animal.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:14 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

We're getting into flame territory. I wasn't pissed off, I didn't think you were, either, and was just fanning the fire a little when I saw an ember. Now for a little water:

My point, aside from flaming, is to simply point out that people who have watched a lot of Seahawks games and are familiar with Pete Carroll see this as a much better fit than people who don't, and I'm pointing out the significance of that. Yeah, it's a thread asking for everyone's opinion on a pick. It's also the only thread of its kind on the front page. So when you get people arguing about it, is this really surprising to you? It's there because its controversial. If you don't want to see why some people are arguing that this is a good pick, why scroll down the page beyond the poll? Or is it just that you want to read posts written by people who think it's a bad pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
It's not an appeal to authority argument to justify the pick. If anything, it's just saying, "Huh, I didn't realize they were that set on him." It's a pick that was surprising because of the way draftniks rank players, but makes more sense than it appears at first glance if you look into the kind of personnel the team already has and what the team's coaches want to do. It's a controversial thread, and I follow the team that picked the player. Out of all the topics I might want to post about, this is one where I know a bit more about the situation than maybe a lot of people who are talking about it. And... this is a forum.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We're getting into flame territory. I wasn't pissed off, I didn't think you were, either, and was just fanning the fire a little when I saw an ember. Now for a little water:

My point, aside from flaming, is to simply point out that people who have watched a lot of Seahawks games and are familiar with Pete Carroll see this as a much better fit than people who don't, and I'm pointing out the significance of that. Yeah, it's a thread asking for everyone's opinion on a pick. It's also the only thread of its kind on the front page. So when you get people arguing about it, is this really surprising to you? It's there because its controversial. If you don't want to see why some people are arguing that this is a good pick, why scroll down the page beyond the poll? Or is it just that you want to read posts written by people who think it's a bad pick?

It's not an appeal to authority argument to justify the pick. If anything, it's just saying, "Huh, I didn't realize they were that set on him." It's a pick that was surprising because of the way draftniks rank players, but makes more sense than it appears at first glance if you look into the kind of personnel the team already has and what the team's coaches want to do. It's a controversial thread, and I follow the team that picked the player. Out of all the topics I might want to post about, this is one where I know a bit more about the situation than maybe a lot of people who are talking about it. And... this is a forum.
I like watching Seahawks fans defend the pick.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:49 PM    (permalink
superfly69
Veteran

superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Shane's got this:

...and it's pretty epic.
This was awesome....
superfly69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:04 AM    (permalink
superfly69
Veteran

superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
I like watching Seahawks fans defend the pick.
There is no defending Bruce Irvin at #15. At #25 you would have a peanut size of an argument. At #15...No.
superfly69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:40 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't get Everette Brown out of my head when I see him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 PM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
That makes me happy.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
703SKINS202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

#15 was a little bit early but I love the fit in Seattle's defense and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a dynamic edge rusher for the Seahawks, so I can't criticize the pick too much. I did think Coples would be a better value though.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 703SKINS202 View Post
That makes me happy.
I've seen other reports saying they wouldn't have taken him if he was on the board at #16, so take that story with a grain of salt.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:11 PM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a bad pick.
If Seattle uses his talents correctly, he could easily be a big time passrusher.
Of course, we were all shocked. But apparently teams had a first round grade on him the entire time.
Pete Carroll must have a good plan in mind: With added muscle mass, a more physically aquired demenor and mmore consistent aggressiveness, Irvin will flourish.
But if injured, and used incorrectly, and poor work habits; he'll become a bust.
Irvin is a stud though. so he'll be just peachy doin work on QBs
Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I can't get Everette Brown out of my head when I see him.
As someone who loved Everette Brown (his spin move was nasty), he wasn't even close to being in the same level athletically as Bruce. Totally different caliber athlete.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This just sounds like a person who doesn't know a whole lot about Pete Carroll or the Seahawks defense, or Bruce Irvin for that matter. Anyone can do a google search and see that he's been arrested. He's not a huge financial risk because of restructuring, and he's a perfect fit for what we want to do. People can dis it all they want; if you look in Seahawks team forums you see the fans are excited after watching the tape and digging a little deeper. The same fans were pissed when we took Carpenter last year - the positive responses you're hearing aren't just bandwagon fans cheering whoever their team picks.
Like fans know a good pick when they see one. Of course, he has talent and certainly speed but he is as raw as a prospect can get, has a criminal past, played part time for his college team. He is the very definition of a workout warrior who will either bust or produce but at #15, that is a pretty high risk IMO. Round 2, I can see the risk vs reward principal but at #15, it is just not worth it when you can get a pretty solid pro prospect who carries minimal risk.

Personally, I like Carroll so I hope it works out for him but I see absolutely no way he can justify this pick at #15.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it was a bad move, but it could work out. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a good pass rush specialist. But I also wouldn't be surprised if he was out of the league in 3 years. That's someone you take around 45, not 15.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:57 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Irvin won't be out of the league in 3 years because it might take him just that to learn the ins and out of the position that he wasnt coached. He's extremely raw, people need to understand that.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Quote:
One general manager called Irvin the "hottest player in the draft."

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:25 AM    (permalink
Stubbs
Rookie

Stubbs is so money.Stubbs is so money.Stubbs is so money.Stubbs is so money.Stubbs is so money.Stubbs is so money.Stubbs is so money.Stubbs is so money.Stubbs is so money.Stubbs is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I like Bruce Irvin, I just hate him for the Seahawks. They've been so bad at the draft in recent years... They had two perfect scheme fits who were potential Top 10 picks sitting right there with Coples & Ingram and they take a guy who doesn't have a position on a good team, nevermind a bad team that needs basic players to fill basic positions.
I don't know about that.. So far in 2 drafts of the Pete Carroll/ John Schneider era we've gotten 4 pro bowl talents in:

Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman (Pro bowl talent) and Russell Okung (Pro bowl talent when healthy)

2 solid starters in:

KJ Wright and Doug Baldwin (UDFA)

4 early draft picks that have flashed potential, too early to give up on in:

Golden Tate, Walter Thurmond, James Carpenter and John Moffit.

They've been far from a bad drafting team.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:04 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
I don't know about that.. So far in 2 drafts of the Pete Carroll/ John Schneider era we've gotten 4 pro bowl talents in:

Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman (Pro bowl talent) and Russell Okung (Pro bowl talent when healthy)

2 solid starters in:

KJ Wright and Doug Baldwin (UDFA)

4 early draft picks that have flashed potential, too early to give up on in:

Golden Tate, Walter Thurmond, James Carpenter and John Moffit.

They've been far from a bad drafting team.
I can't for the life of me understand what they are doing at QB. In two years they have signed Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Flynn, and used two third round picks on Charlie Whitehurst and now Russell Wilson. Out of all 4, the only one I can understand is Flynn.

Tarvaris is bad, everyone knew that. The Charlie Whitehurst experiment was a miserable failure. Wilson, while talented, is far morel likely to be a solid backup like Seneca Wallace than the next Drew Brees. Flynn showed something, but evaluating from what will, in all likelihood, be the best game of his career is tough. Still, he's probably the best of the bunch.

I'll agree that they've made some good moves recently, but they've made plenty of bad ones too.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:08 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Reach" and "steal" are terms used by the draft following masses to describe picks relative to how they, or popular opinion, ranked the player's value pre-draft.

Whether or not a pick could be labelled the same when using the reference of actual team rankings is another matter, and far more relevant. Unfortunately it's also very hard to know this in any clear sense.

Some picks are very obvious reaches but I tend to think these are actually quite rare in the NFL. To me, if a guy you want to pick probably won't be there the next time you pick, you:

1 - Try and trade down to achieve better value.
2 - If this isn't very easy to accomplish with low risk, just take the damn player.

With rookies now costing so much less than before, it's hardly about where you took the player anymore (if it ever really was, which I don't think it really was) - it's much more about whether your interest in the player was smart at all, regardless of placement.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:51 AM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
"Reach" and "steal" are terms used by the draft following masses to describe picks relative to how they, or popular opinion, ranked the player's value pre-draft.

Whether or not a pick could be labelled the same when using the reference of actual team rankings is another matter, and far more relevant. Unfortunately it's also very hard to know this in any clear sense.

Some picks are very obvious reaches but I tend to think these are actually quite rare in the NFL. To me, if a guy you want to pick probably won't be there the next time you pick, you:

1 - Try and trade down to achieve better value.
2 - If this isn't very easy to accomplish with low risk, just take the damn player.

With rookies now costing so much less than before, it's hardly about where you took the player anymore (if it ever really was, which I don't think it really was) - it's much more about whether your interest in the player was smart at all, regardless of placement.
Agreed.

It's the same reason why I'll laugh when Ryan Matthews goes before Drew Brees in my fantasy draft.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
703SKINS202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think they were able to trade down a few spots and still get their guy

general consensus is he was going to be picked soon anyway, i think they went about it right....and it kept him off the jets.

i do think hes a bad fit for them and will probably fail. Seattle is going to be the place where linebackers go to die. First curry and now irvin....maybe he'll be good with another team in a few year lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote