Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 04-29-2012, 10:21 AM    (permalink
guacamaia
Rookie

guacamaia hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Hot & Cold Motor

Some players, such as Michigan State's Jerel Worthy, always hear the same thing: "His motor runs hot and cold."

This seems short sighted. Worthy was the playmaker on that defense (only one other player drafted, not until round 6 or 7). When he wasn't making impact plays, chances are the entire unit wasn't playing well. So it all rested on Worthy.

Now, let's plug Jerel Worthy into Alabama. His level of play is just the same. But now, if he's not making plays, somebody else is. Upshaw, Barron, Hightower and Kirkpatrick are all making an impact. Fans, media and scouts don't peg the blame on anybody (because there is no blame to peg), and nobody says that Alabama DT Jerel Worthy's motor runs hot and cold.

Tell me I'm wrong.
guacamaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:24 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I quite like this. Mainly because Jerel Worthy and Nick Perry were classed as hot and cold players.

But then USC has a talented defense, so that sort of **** on your point.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 AM    (permalink
guacamaia
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
I quite like this. Mainly because Jerel Worthy and Nick Perry were classed as hot and cold players.

But then USC has a talented defense, so that sort of **** on your point.
I think the stigma is TRUE about some guys. I just think it's tossed around too lightly. And Worthy is right in his defense when he says that NOBODY can go all out for 4 quarters.

Who are the other talented players on USC's defense (I didn't catch much of them this season)?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 AM    (permalink
underscore
Veteran

underscore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.underscore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.underscore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.underscore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.underscore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.underscore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.underscore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.underscore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.underscore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.underscore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.underscore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Worthy was the playmaker? He wasn't in the top 3 on his own team in tackles, sacks or TFL. Not much of a playmaker.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Pontus
Rookie

Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamaia View Post
Worthy was the playmaker on that defense (only one other player drafted, not until round 6 or 7). When he wasn't making impact plays, chances are the entire unit wasn't playing well. So it all rested on Worthy.
As Michigan State is one of my favourite schools to watch, I feel the need to point out that I see CB Johnny Adams, who stayed in school, as Worthy's equal - or more - in regards of being the most dominant player on the Spartan defense. Adams and Trenton Robinson did really show up last year in the secondary.

It does not suffice to only check the prospects that came out in this years draft in my opinion.

With that said, I agree with your post and point about Worthy's motor.
Pontus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:11 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

300 pound human beings are not intended to go full speed for roughly half of an entire football game. NFL teams realize this, and rotate their big bodies on the defense, even when it involves taking out their best players (one of the reasons Detroit took Fairley in 2010 was to lessen the dropoff when Suh was on the bench, say.)

College coaches, on the other hand, don't really care. They only have these guys for four years, and they'll put their best players on the field as often as they need them in order to win games, even when it results in the big guys sucking wind and playing well below their potential.

So when you're evaluating "motor issues" for DL you have to draw a distinction between "he took plays off because he was playing 95% of the defensive snaps, and no enormous human being can do that without getting more than a little tired" or "he took plays off because he's lazy and doesn't care." I fear a lot of the people who do analysis for fans have trouble drawing that distinction.

The former problem is correctable with good coaching and NFL S&C programs, the latter may not be.

Last edited by PossibleCabbage : 04-30-2012 at 01:25 AM.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nick Perry is a high motor player who appears to "go cold" at times, because he doesn't know how to use his hands to disengage and he lacks counter moves (these are things that can be coached up at the next level). In the five games that I studied, he certainly played until the whistle, and he continued to chase after the football even when he was effectively out of the play. But like I said, he would have quiet streaks for reasons that didn't involve his hustle/motor.

This ties in with PossibleCabbage's broader point about analysts not being able to distinguish between "motor issues" and other issues. I can't remember a good DL who wasn't questioned for his motor by somebody or another. Even Suh had people who said that he takes plays off.

Last edited by WCH : 04-29-2012 at 05:32 PM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 PM    (permalink
guacamaia
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
300 pound human beings are not intended to go full speed for roughly half of an entire football game. NFL teams realize this, and rotate their big bodies on the defense, even when it involves taking out their best players (one of the reasons Detroit took Fairley in 2010 was to lessen the dropoff when Suh was on the bench, say.)

College coaches, on the other hand, don't really care. They only have these guys for four years, and they'll put their best players on the field as often as they need them in order to win games, even when it results in the big guys sucking wind.

So when you're evaluating "motor issues" for DL you have to draw a distinction between "he took plays off because he was playing 95% of the defensive snaps, and no enormous human being can do that without sucking wind" or "he took plays off because he's lazy and doesn't care." I fear a lot of the people who do analysis for fans have trouble drawing that distinction.

The former problem is correctable with good coaching and NFL S&C programs, the latter may not be.
That's exactly it. Lazy and winded are not the same things.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:38 AM    (permalink
MI_Buckeye
Veteran

MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just disagree with your general premise. Michigan State has plenty of talent on defense and should be among the top ten in the country this fall. Most of the talent is returning, and my guess is you'l see guys like William Gholston, Johnny Adams and Denicos Allen all emerge as top 100 picks in future drafts.
MI_Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:01 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You are wrong.

Scouting is about the individual prospect. Effort is something that will show up on tape. Also having a lack of, in this case, pass rush moves or run gap control will also make a player "run hot and cold" or "disappear" for stretches.

But nice attempt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote