Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 05-11-2014, 06:45 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Camp Battles

I think this is going to be a really key aspect of this summer for the team and so I figured it could be good to have a thread to track some of these.

Discuss what competitions you're most interested in (either for starting jobs or roster spots), which players you'd like to see succeed, who you think will end up winning the battles for certain spots, etc.

To start, I'm interested in seeing how the interior offensive line shakes out. Between Colon, Campbell, Dozier, Schlauderaff, and Winters that's a good chunk of guards who have a shot to make the team. All have value in one way or another, and the right guard spot is probably pretty open. Plus Aboushi and Ijalana could kick inside, and Dalton Freeman could make the roster to back up Mangold.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:27 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting that you think the RG spot is open, but LG isn't. I would say it's the other way around. As long as he's healthy, I feel like Colon will be the RG. I feel as if Dozier can be a perfect LG if he develops, and the battle between him and Winters should be very good. But you might be right about RG. In any case, I like to see Dozier against one of those two.

Two obvious spots would be WR and CB. That CB battle I can't begin to figure out who has the edge. Milliner is clearly one spot, but I don't know about the other, as well as the nickel. Rex seems to have something against Walls on the edge, but he's good out there. Patterson was solid for the Fins when he was healthy, and he might get the nickel or outside spot. I think McDougle has a chance to be special. There's so many guys there that, at the very least, our best guys should play, so hopefully we have the right group.

WR kind of just depends. MM will probably be putting different guys into different packages, so I think it's more of who stays and who goes. Still think Hill has a shot. It's only his 3rd year. Still, he's the only guy that can take a top off a defense on our roster. It should be between him, Shaq, and possibly David Nelson on the outside, opposite Decker. Kerley will be in one slot, but Saunders might challenge for playing time as well. Not sure how much of him being brought in was for PR, gadget plays, or slot duty.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:25 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The main thing that's interesting to me is that this offseason is the first time in a while where we're going to have draft picks at risk of not making the roster along with veteran FA signings. In the past they've basically had around 40-45 veterans who are likely to make the roster, draft picks, and a few roster spots are wide open for UDFA's. This year I'm wondering which veterans and draft picks are going to get cut.

I think the LG spot could be open, but not quite as much as RG. Colon's health is still a question and he's getting up there in years. His contract is also pretty cheap and mostly non-guaranteed, so they can cut him without penalty. My guess all along has been that he was signed as an insurance policy in case none of the young guys are ready, similar to what Peterman was last year. I could obviously be wrong there though.

Now that Dozier's on the roster I do think competition at the interior OL slots should be pretty fierce. I think he could be a great LG prospect as well, but Winters was also a college LT and a good athlete without the requisite height/length to play LT. So two things from there - one I think we have evidence the position change is a tough transition plus Dozier is coming from a smaller school (though he showed well against LSU and Clemson I thought). Two, I wonder if they want to develop one of those guys to play RT after Giacomini leaves. In the day 3 press conference they did note Dozier's versatility as a plus and didn't want to commit to a position for him. As for Winters he seemed to come on late in the year, if he's awful in camp I could see him losing his spot but I'm going to guess they stubbornly keep him there for a bit even if he struggles some. And as he got better late in the season I hope that continues.

The corner and receiver spots are interesting to me not only because there's a secondary starting position wide open, but because the competition for the last couple of roster slots is going to be really tough as well. Kind of seems like a throw a bunch of stuff against a wall and see what sticks mentality, but we'll see if it works.

Corner should be pretty wild. Milliner's obviously going to make the team. Patterson should make it but might get hurt or not be healthy. I'd be surprised if Wilson doesn't make it. What's interesting is they're both slot guys but might get kicked outside. McDougle will likely make the roster as a high draft pick. Walls had starting experience last year. Lankster's a core special teams guy but might be in trouble. Dixon's a really interesting developmental prospect. Under normal circumstances I'd expect all of those guys to make the roster - but that's seven corners. On top of that they brought in potential reclamation projects like Patrick and Dowling (who maybe kicks to safety?). Lots of competition for roster spots there.

Then receiver's more of the same. The starting position is wide open. Decker's obviously making the roster as is Kerley. That might be it. Hill's saving grace could be that he's the deep threat, but I think he needs to show a lot of progress - particularly because he doesn't offer a lot on specials. Nelson was basically a starter last year and now might be off the roster. Ford might be the favorite for KR duties and could potentially compete with Saunders for punt return duties. Salas is supposedly a Mornhinweg guy and had some catches last year on the back end of the roster. And then there's Saunders, Evans, and Enunwa. That's what, nine guys for maybe six slots? Salas might be a long shot but that still means two guys between the draft picks and the Ford, Nelson, and Hill group get cut. Not the kind of thing that's happened in past seasons. Maybe Enunwa is a practice squad stash but I think he's a big time sleeper for the starting spot. He's the guy I'm going to irrationally bang the table for until he a) looks horrible in camp and/or b) gets cut. Love the upside though and I think he can be a 4 team guy on specials which might help him out.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:45 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dozier may have tools to be on outside. He could beat Giacomini at RT, Colon at RG and maybe Winters at LG. Replacing Ferguson at LT next year could be a surprising move by Idzik.

Giacomini could be kick into LG spot if Aboushi wins RT job. With guaranteed money, Giacomini has to start somewhere. umm.

Schlauderaff should be Mangold's back up.

First String by default: Ferguson, Winters, Mangold, Colon, Giacomini.

Back Up lock: Dozier all but Center, Schlauderaff at C, Aboushi all but C.

8 OL? Is that enough? minus LS.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:50 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WR situation. I can see Evans or Kerley play on the outside opposing Decker.

Jalen Saunders would rely a lot on Jace Amaro. Both on the same side would create a helleva of havoc.

I don't know if Jets keep Stephen Hill as Jets' cap room is plenty to absorb. Release him and the spot is up for grabs for Idzik's guys.

WR Depth:

Decker, Kerley, Saunders, Evans, ?

TE Depth:

Amaro, Cumberland, ?
Old 05-12-2014, 03:08 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

S situation.

With Pryor being penciled as a starting FS, SS is up in the air. Landry's experience and run support will get the first crack. Allen or Miles could push Landry out of door. Allen offers more range and man coverage than Landry. Miles offers more savvy at everything Landry has played.

I go with Pryor and Landry first because I am not ready to hand the defense responsibility to Pryor yet. Allen and Miles ain't too. Landry gets nod for that part.

CB situation.

Milliner is groomed into a starting CB but he is not a lock for that job. Wall, Patterson and Wright (lol) will have a shot for starting jobs. McDongle and Dixon won't start until one is hurt.

I go with Milliner and Wall with Patterson mixing in.