Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-25-2014, 07:17 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Combine Thoughts

Hey Guys,

I'm sure most of this stuff is already in the draft thread. But wouldn't mind to have a combine thread to look at thoughts from the past week.

Looking at the results from Monday I see some guys that I like that seem to be a good fit for our scheme.

Trent Murphy, DE, Standford
  • 40: 4.86
  • Bench: 19 reps
  • Vert: 35.5
  • Broad: 118
  • 3 Cone: 6.78s
  • 20 Yard: 4.20s
I'm not as high on him as most. Be he just screams Jason Garrett to me. Tough, smart and hardworking with a throwback personality. Leader vocally and by example. Will hold teammates accountable and represent the program with class. Had a sack in 10 of 14 games last year. We could use production like that. Had one of the fastest times in the 3 cone drill 6.78s is nuts. If he is available in the 2nd round I won't bat an eye if we pick him. The definition of RKG.

Jordan Tripp, ROLB, Montana
  • 40: 4.67
  • Bench: 22 reps
  • Vert: 37.5
  • Broad: 120
  • 3 Cone: 6.89s
  • 20 Yard: 3.96s
Undersized but also put up ridiculous quickness numbers. 20 yard in under 4 seconds and one of the fastest 3cone times of the lbers. Another guy who could look at as a future Weakside backer. Special teamer too.

Tyler Starr, LOLB, Montana
  • 40: 4.95
  • Bench: 24 reps
  • Vert: 32
  • Broad: 116
  • 3 Cone: 6.64s
  • 20 Yard: 4.15s
I've had Starr on my radar for awhile. He was one of the quickest LBers at the combine. 6.64 in the 3 cone and 4.15 in the 20 yard shuttle. He has quickness and still good size at 6'4 250. Could be depth at SLB with potential to start and contribute to special teams.

Howard Jones, DE, Shepherd
  • 40: 4.60
  • Bench: 21 reps
  • Vert: 40.5
  • Broad: 124
  • 3 Cone: 7.16s
Top performer in all events but Bench. Still put up 21 reps at 235lbs. Obviously never watched tape on him...but good measurables for a later round pick.

Kevin Pierre-Louis, ROLB, Boston College
  • 40: 4.51
  • Bench: 28 reps
  • Vert: 39
  • Broad: 128
  • 3 Cone: 6.92s
  • 20 Yard: 4.02s
Wow...not sure who this guy is. But he was a top preformer in every event outside of 3 cone. Which still isn't bad. Freak to groom as a Weak OLB.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this is why we love thule. lost me after murphy but it's inspirational.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:02 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Terrence Brooks, FS, FSU
  • 40: 4.41 (Top time)
  • Bench: 10 reps
  • Vert: 38.0 (Top Vertical)
  • Broad: 119 (#5)
  • 3 Cone: 7.35s

He just made himself money. According to Kirwan he was a late 3rd-early 4th type of prospect pre-combine and very underrated. I'm expecting him to be in the mix in the mid-late 2nd by the time the draft rolls about.

Quote:
Florida State safety Terrence Brooks stood out at the Senior Bowl because of his footwork/transition skills. On Tuesday, he checked in with a 4.42 40. That’s an excellent time for a safety.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:12 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Terrence Brooks, FS, FSU
Nice. With those numbers at the combine and his senior tape he'd be easy to fall in love with on draft day. Think we all could agree on that.

Another safety who secured some money on draft day was

Deone Bucannon, SS, Washington St.
  • 40: 4.49
  • Bench: 19 reps
  • Vert: 36.5
  • Broad: 125
  • 3 Cone: 6.96s
  • 20 Yard: 4.26s

Put up sub 4.5 time. 19 reps on the bench. And explosion finishing in the top of vert and broad jump. Quickness times were not on top. But compared to Brooks in the 3 cone. (brooks didn't do 20 yard shuttle)

Bucannon 3 cone - 6.86s
Brooks 3 cone - 7.35s

Brooks is a half second slower in the 3 cone drill which to me is a big difference. Playing this 2 deep zones you have to have good quickness and speed. Brooks is just a bit stiffer is all that means. Both should start in the NFL. Wouldn't mind drafting Bucannon though either.

Speaking of Brooks might as well post up Joyners numbers. He is listed as a CB on nfl.com/combine but these numbers seem more in line with a Safety to me.

LeMarcus Joyner, S, FSU
  • 40: 4.55
  • Bench: 14 reps
  • Vert: 37.5
  • Broad: 124
  • 3 Cone: 7.26s
  • 20 Yard: 4.40s
Joyner was a lil slower then Brooks but actually showed a bigger broad jump and 4 more reps on the bench. Joyner is a guy who I think is going to fall on draft day a bit further than people think. He is in the 4th/5th round range for me. Be interesting to see where he falls I love him on the field.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty

Last edited by thule : 02-25-2014 at 08:17 PM.
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:28 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kevin Pierre-Louis, ROLB, Boston College
••40: 4.51
•Bench: 28 reps
•Vert: 39
•Broad: 128
•3 Cone: 6.92s
•20 Yard: 4.02s
Wow...not sure who this guy is. But he was a top preformer in every event outside of 3 cone. Which still isn't bad. Freak to groom as a Weak OLB.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mocked him to us recently in the 7th round, I think he helped himself a little, but the speed and athleticism were evident before the combine.
I think he's a good pick to keep for depth/future and should excel on ST's.

His scouting report on nfl.com-

Analysis
Strengths
Tight-skinned, muscular build. Athletic knee-bender. Flows well laterally. Protects his legs and slips blocks. Motivated and hardworking. Productive four-year starter.

Weaknesses
Needs to improve functional strength. Average eyes and diagnostic skills. Loses sight of the ball, gets sucked in by playaction and takes false steps. Gets knocked out of the hole at the point of attack. Stays wired to blocks. Has man-cover limitations. Has tweener traits -- lacks ideal bulk for linebacker and speed for safety.

Bottom Line
Small-framed tweener who was an experienced, productive, finesse outside linebacker, but likely will have to make the conversion to strong safety, excel on special teams and show usefulness as a box defender to have a chance at the next level.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Draft2014
Rookie

Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft2014 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be careful to fall in love with Brooks just because of his combine numbers. Tons of better safeties out there.
Draft2014 is offline   Reply With Quote