Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
No, to his credit the past few drafts have been better. Although I think that has more to do with Garrett than Jerry.

I also think we had some glaring holes, the right players were in position, and we took them.

With a year like this, where the consensus "weaknesses" are less obvious, I can see him doing something insane.

I think DL & S need to be addressed. A lot of you guys say OL (which I fully agree with, just not in rd 1). Jerry seems to be focused on weapons in his most recent interviews.

With Austin's health being what it is and Harris still somewhat unknown (although he made great improvement), I could definitely see him grabbing Patterson if he fell or T. Austin with the idea of giving Romo a slot weapon.
I love the idea of Austin, but only in the 2nd. At this point, he's gonna go in the 1st. If he drops to the 2nd, someone will take him with the first few picks in the 2nd.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
Agree. Not a fan of Wilbur or Johnson picks, even though the team seems to be incredibly high on Johnson for whatever reason.

Crawford is basically the wildcard. If he can't develop into a starter, it makes the draft look rather poor.
I think Johnson is the wildcard, he essentially had the same triangle numbers of Barron coming out last year and was a playmaker. He was derailed by injuries and we never got to see if he could keep up with the jump in competition. I think he is a fit a SS in this scheme but he might be able to moonlight as the swing safety if he can't lock down a starting spot.

Crawford made sense as a 5 tech as a rotational player with a high motor and growth potential but unless he can make an impact as a base end he might be a wasted pick with the scheme change. I simply don't see him as an effective pass rusher inside and doesn't have the bulk to tie up blockers.

If Wilbur can make an impact on special teams and add depth at SLB as a former fourth round pick would be a wash. Not quite a slam dunk but not a wasted pick either. The same can be said for Danny Coale who could make the case to be on the roster after healing from his ACL.

Hannah was a steal in the 6th and I read multiple reports that he was torching the defense in practice. Not sure why he wasn't mixed into the gameplan more toward the end of the season but he is a matchup nightmare as a pass catcher. He still needs to develop as a route runner and blocker but he should be a contributor as the #2 TE. Could eventually be the heir apparent to Witten if he puts it all together.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I think Johnson is the wildcard, he essentially had the same triangle numbers of Barron coming out last year and was a playmaker. He was derailed by injuries and we never got to see if he could keep up with the jump in competition. I think he is a fit a SS in this scheme but he might be able to moonlight as the swing safety if he can't lock down a starting spot.

Crawford made sense as a 5 tech as a rotational player with a high motor and growth potential but unless he can make an impact as a base end he might be a wasted pick with the scheme change. I simply don't see him as an effective pass rusher inside and doesn't have the bulk to tie up blockers.

If Wilbur can make an impact on special teams and add depth at SLB as a former fourth round pick would be a wash. Not quite a slam dunk but not a wasted pick either. The same can be said for Danny Coale who could make the case to be on the roster after healing from his ACL.

Hannah was a steal in the 6th and I read multiple reports that he was torching the defense in practice. Not sure why he wasn't mixed into the gameplan more toward the end of the season but he is a matchup nightmare as a pass catcher. He still needs to develop as a route runner and blocker but he should be a contributor as the #2 TE. Could eventually be the heir apparent to Witten if he puts it all together.
Johnson as well, although that's more due to team hype for me. When we made the pick, small school guy on day 3, I just hope he can play special teams.

I remember AOA.. He was also the future at safety and looked like a man among boys playing at a small school. It's just really hard to get starting play out of those guys. A long shot.

Crawford was more of the unknown raw/athlete type who at least played against mid level competition. I have more hope for his development than I do for Johnson.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:42 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The bad news....Jerry Jones is a believer in Phil Costa even after his injury plagued 2012 season.

“I can see going with Costa at center for several years,” the Cowboys owner told a handful of reporters this past weekend at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

The good news...He also said that “through a combination of free agency or this draft, (we) will get serious about another guard/center type.”

“If we can get in better shape with our guards, then Costa is going to be a good center for us,” Jones said.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:13 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
The bad news....Jerry Jones is a believer in Phil Costa even after his injury plagued 2012 season.

“I can see going with Costa at center for several years,” the Cowboys owner told a handful of reporters this past weekend at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

The good news...He also said that “through a combination of free agency or this draft, (we) will get serious about another guard/center type.”

“If we can get in better shape with our guards, then Costa is going to be a good center for us,” Jones said.
Careful with snippets. Previously he didn't give Costa a ringing endorsement when he was asked if Costa was capable of being the starting Center next season.

Quote:
Owner Jerry Jones indicated that the restricted free agent (Phil Costa) could be the starter at center if the pieces around him are adequate. "You’ve got to weigh what Costa is, as opposed to what he isn’t," Jones said. "He doesn’t have the arm length. What he is, is as smart as anyone playing in the NFL. What he is, is tenacious. At that position, you can’t do it with two other Costas on either side of him."
Essentially the conversation sounded like "IF we play better at the guard positions Costa will do very well". He pretty much called Costa a JAG (just another guy) who needs to play beside good players to play well.

Biggest issue I had with the interview is it sounded like Jerry was giving a pass to the interior line due to injuries. That is scary. If we don't upgrade the interior line Romo is going to suffer again :/

Last edited by Trogdor : 02-28-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While I agree that better guards will make Costa better, I think the approach is opposite of what we should be taking.

I think the 2nd most important spot on the OL behind LT is Center, and I think it's really close to LT. I think a beast at C can allow you to get by with mediocre guards and have a great OL. That's why I like the idea of drafting Cooper and making him the C for the next decade. Problem fixed. Look for a developmental RT later in the draft and have an honest competition between Free and Purnell.

LT - Smith
LG - Livings
C - Cooper
RG - Donald Thomas (FA)
RT - Parnell/Free

I think that would be a significant improvement over last year.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:47 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
No talk about Shamarko Thomas SS Syracuse?

Saw the comparison to Bob Sanders. Pretty similar and was top safety at the combine.

video of him running the 40
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combin...arko-goes-down

nfl.com
Good spot, this guy looks like the real deal and the Bob Sanders comparison is right on. However you have to remember that with their hitting style, injuries become a serious factor. I love his potential.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The team has restructured Brandon Carr saving apx 10.8 mil, Witten for apx 3.65 mil savings, and Nate Livings for about 750,000. All in all knocking about 15 mil off of the 20 mil hole. That doesn't even include possible cuts and a Romo extension, I just hope this doesn't snowball into problems in future cap space.

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?...47&city=dallas
Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the rumors of us giving Lane Johnson a strong look. Means we are at least looking into line upgrades in general, which makes me believe we have the two guards high on our board. I want to take our chance at an elite Guard this year then go for a tackle next year but I wouldn't hate if we could get Lane Johnson at 18.

I saw a bunch of film through NFLN this past week and majority of our pass plays involved Doug Free getting beat. There were all the times we saw when Romo got killed, but there were a TON of plays that ended up in a Romo TD because Free got beat so fast and Romo jumped up in the pocket and escaped. The Dez TD vs Philly where he ran past like 7 defenders and the Browns game where Dez beat the CB deep down the left side are both prime examples but there are a bunch more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I like the rumors of us giving Lane Johnson a strong look. Means we are at least looking into line upgrades in general, which makes me believe we have the two guards high on our board. I want to take our chance at an elite Guard this year then go for a tackle next year but I wouldn't hate if we could get Lane Johnson at 18.

I saw a bunch of film through NFLN this past week and majority of our pass plays involved Doug Free getting beat. There were all the times we saw when Romo got killed, but there were a TON of plays that ended up in a Romo TD because Free got beat so fast and Romo jumped up in the pocket and escaped. The Dez TD vs Philly where he ran past like 7 defenders and the Browns game where Dez beat the CB deep down the left side are both prime examples but there are a bunch more.
Probably the biggest reason I champion Romo more than most. 90% of NFL QBs get sacked in those situations and force their team's draft in leagues of getting talented lines. Romo has allowed the front office to slack a bit in this department.

If we can land Cooper at 18 I think it would do wonders for the team. Lane Johnson would be nice but I'm much more of a fan of having Parnell get first swing with Free + Mid Round rookie competing. If Free loses the battle to Parnell he gets cut Post June 1st. Gives us a safety net, rookie to develop, and hope for a future.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:19 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Probably the biggest reason I champion Romo more than most. 90% of NFL QBs get sacked in those situations and force their team's draft in leagues of getting talented lines. Romo has allowed the front office to slack a bit in this department.

If we can land Cooper at 18 I think it would do wonders for the team. Lane Johnson would be nice but I'm much more of a fan of having Parnell get first swing with Free + Mid Round rookie competing. If Free loses the battle to Parnell he gets cut Post June 1st. Gives us a safety net, rookie to develop, and hope for a future.

Yea I'm really rooting for Parnell to win that job, and we at least get a year to see what he does on a really cheap contract. I just don't know that Jerry feels the same, seems like he may want to upgrade him before Berny, or maybe it's just doing homework on a guy who probably won't even be there.

It was at least encouraging to know we are considering it, I'm trying to brace myself for the Jerry going for the flashy pick. I also can't rule out us going Vaccaro if he's still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:

I love Lane's feet, he is natural sliding in pass protection and has elite athleticism. The combine might have locked him in as a top 15 pick because there are only so many true left tackle prospects that come along. I think his 28 reps in the bench were misleading, I've watched tape and he does not flash that strength consistently and will need continued to develop his anchor at the next level. With Tyron locked in at LT I'm not sure he would be a great pick considering he might struggle against some of the larger base ends if he plays RT. That is clearly nit picking if the scouts think he is an elite talent you take him and then work out the kinks.

I think the combine really put us in good position to have talent that fits need come draft time. We already mentioned Lane as a riser who might sneak himself just outside of the top ten. Then you have the athletic pass rushers in Mingo and Jordan and Ansah who have locked themselves into the top 15 IMO. A sleeper I can see going I the top 15 is Trufant. Outside of Milner he is the best pure cover man in the draft and built on his strong seniorbowl with excellent numbers at the combine.

What does that mean for us is players we didn't expect to slide might start falling down boards. Either Warmack or Cooper should be available, I can't see both going in the top 17. Also, Jarvis Jones and Star might have fallen down due to medical concern or someone like Werner who isn't a dynamic pass rusher in favor of someone else.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm liking the idea of lane in the 1st and then picking up a b. jones, gabe Jackson or bailey in the 3rd.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While I'd love Lane Johnson, I'm still concerned about the gut of the OL. I'd rather see if Parnell can hold court at RT and draft Cooper.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just want Warmack and Cooper. There's a big drop off after that.

Fix the interior OL. That's our way towards our biggest turn around.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

So what if warmack, cooper, all the OTs, and Richardson are gone? What about a trade down?

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

Daniel Jeremiah, depending on how much you buy into him, had something different to say.

He said he spoke with a few exec's and scouts that run Power schemes and said they had Warford ranked ahead of Cooper.

He said often times teams may feel a certain player is better in a bubble (Cooper>Warford) but that isn't necessarily how they will be placed on your board depending on scheme.

I hear what you're saying, but I actually don't think the drop off is as big as it is at LT, S or DT after the top 3-4 guys are gone.

I'd be beyond satisfied with Frederick, Long, Pugh, Warford and a few of the other guys available in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I agree with you that Bernadeau is a pile of **** & Livings is old and average but I disagree with the type of impact Warmack or Cooper will have on this team.

I don't think there would be a drastic difference between Cooper at OG vs one of the 2nd or 3rd round OG's. I don't think a Cooper or Warmack is going to come in an be this weapon that instantly improves the offense. OG definitely needs to be upgrade, but I'm not so sure the ROI is much different from a 1st rd OG vs a 2nd or 3rd rd guy.

On the contrary, I think an impact DT that can take pressure off the DE's or a Safety who can create turnovers and add possessions to the offense can have a noticeable difference. And I believe the talent drop off & drop off in impact are bigger at those positions than it is at OG.

Just 2 different lines of thought, I suppose.

Last edited by DrewyVuitton : 02-28-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'd only give about a 5% chance that any of Johnson, Cooper or Warmack will survive till the 18th pick. I guess there is always hope.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

I was talking w Phillip Thomas today and he says 2 of the 3 games I based his eval on were his 2 worst games of the season. Says he's a much better player than that.

I really wish there was more tape available because these are the type of evals that happen. Of course no guy is going to say he sucks, but what if those really were his worst 2 games?

I know plenty of the bigger name draftniks may only watch 3-5 games when making an eval on a player so they must have some of the same issues in mischaracterizing someone

Makes me wonder if a lot of "hits & misses" come down to there not being enough time for evaluators. If you let me watch 7 or 8 games on a guy I'd feel a lot better about grading them but maybe that's unrealistic?

Last edited by DrewyVuitton : 03-01-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:07 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Who is our Wild Card 1st round pick this year?

Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I'd say the frontrunners are: Cooper, Vaccaro, and Richardson.

So for Wild cards?

I'd say Datone Jones, Kawann Short, or falling OT (be it Johnson, Fisher, or Fluker).
Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Cordarelle Patterson, dude is a freak athlete and has the perfect skill set to fit in this offense. He has a learning curve but could be brought along slowly and worked into all sorts off special packages designed to get him in 1 vs 1 to display his open field ability.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:27 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Cordarelle Patterson, dude is a freak athlete and has the perfect skill set to fit in this offense. He has a learning curve but could be brought along slowly and worked into all sorts off special packages designed to get him in 1 vs 1 to display his open field ability.
If he's not gone in the top 10 I'd be surprised.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:25 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Agree. I've been thinking Patterson or Tavon Austin are the dark horses. If not them, then best DE available.

I would think OG, DT, S are the obvious choices but I can definitely see WR or DE happening.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
If he's not gone in the top 10 I'd be surprised.
He has the measurables of a top ten pick, he is explosive, strong, and can break down guys in space. As a football player he is still pretty raw in terms of route running and understanding the subtle things like reading coverages. His hands are good but not great and at the combine I read multiple quotes that he had trouble tracking the deep ball over his shoulder.

In a nut shell he is very similar to Dez coming out minus the "character issues". The difference being he only has one year of tape against NCAA competition after being a JUCO transfer and of the games he dominated his most impressive was shredding David Amerson in the opener vs NC ST. Against other top competition Florida, Georgia, Mississippi St, Alabama, and South Carolina he was a combined 16 catches for 182 yards. That comes out to an average of 36 yards receiving per game most of which came in the Florida game where he totaled 8 catches for 75 yards.

Teams are going to place him on their big board based off potential not production so it would not surprise me to see him drafted early but he doesn't scream top 10 pick to me.