Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-14-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A guy who fits the Cowboys mold of drafting an injured player (torn ACL) much later than he would of gone & I really like, is Quanterus Smith.

Based on what I've seen, I moved him up to my #3 DE. Watched the DE's until my eyes bled last night and this guy is really impressive.

Quick get off & great first step, resilient, good size & body type, plays through the whistle, good as a pass rusher and against the run.

He's level of compeition is concerning, but he absolutely dominated which is what you want to see. They played Alabama and he went ape ****. Had 3 sacks. So that was also a positive.

I suggest everyone do a little reading on Smith. His on field play really stuck out to me and after I did some research I was even more impressed.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
I still have Sly as my #4 DT.

Not willing to say I like him more than Richardson or Star.

I wasnt as high on Floyd as most people. Still thought first rounder, but had him #3.

The question I'm asking myself right now is if I put Sly on Florida and Floyd on UNC, how would I rank them?
No way Floyd would have been in consideration as the 1st DT off the board. As it was, he kind of just flashed at Florida with ALL that talent surrounding him. Put Sly on Florida, and he could have may have been a top 10 pick.
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
A guy who fits the Cowboys mold of drafting an injured player (torn ACL) much later than he would of gone & I really like is Quanterus Smith.

Based on what I've seen, I moved him up to my #3 DE. Watched the DE's until my eyes bled last night and this guy is really impressive.

Quick get off & great first step, resilient, good size & body type, plays through the whistle, good as a pass rusher and against the run.

He's level of compeition is concerning, but he absolutely dominated which is what you want to see. They played Alabama and he went ape ****. Had 3 sacks. So that was also a positive.

I suggest everyone do a little reading on Smith. His on field play really stuck out to me and after I did some research I was even more impressed.
I've been high on Smith myself, throughout this entire process. Looks to be a liability vs. the run, but could be such a dominant 3rd down rusher as he grows into a more complete player - definite Robert Mathis type upside. If he's setting there in the 5th round he's a STEAL, but I'd also take him as early as the 4th.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Bolyard View Post
I've been high on Smith myself, throughout this entire process. Looks to be a liability vs. the run, but could be such a dominant 3rd down rusher as he grows into a more complete player - definite Robert Mathis type upside. If he's setting there in the 5th round he's a STEAL, but I'd also take him as early as the 4th.
I actually liked him in the run game, especially considering he was battling RT's most of the time. He has a solid frame too, could easily add 10 lbs. without losing much -- his core & thighs are both thick. Good base.

His jump on the snap is what stood out to me. Werner was the only DE I've watched who consistently got off the snap better than Smith.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Quote:
I actually liked him in the run game, especially considering he was battling RT's most of the time. He has a solid frame too, could easily add 10 lbs. without losing much -- his core & thighs are both thick. Good base.

His jump on the snap is what stood out to me. Werner was the only DE I've watched who consistently got off the snap better than Smith.
What round do you think a team takes a flyer on him?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I like him a lot but purely as a weak-side defensive end. He doesn't play overly strong just with good leverage which limits his upside in the running game. I do like his agility and reaction off the snap. He certainly has a ton of athleticism and actually reminds me of another recent draft prospect in Brandon Graham. I don't think he is as stout against the run and his best fit is probably a Cover-2 team that can rely on undersized ends.

As a late round pick he's the exact type of risk/reward you want to target. I wouldn't touch him in the early rounds however.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:03 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
What round do you think a team takes a flyer on him?
I think he goes in the mid 3rd - mid 4th. Without the ACL I think he could have been a high 2nd.

The ACL isn't really concerning, it's more about the fact that you don't get an instant return on drafting him. Based on the history of what's happened with other players going through similar situations, it seems knocking them down a round - a round and a half is pretty fair.

I know NFL.com has him rated as a 2nd-3rd round pick but I'm not sure he goes that high.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Quote:
I think he goes in the mid 3rd - mid 4th. Without the ACL I think he could have been a high 2nd.

The ACL isn't really concerning, it's more about the fact that you don't get an instant return on drafting him. Based on the history of what's happened with other players going through similar situations, it seems knocking them down a round - a round and a half is pretty fair.

I know NFL.com has him rated as a 2nd-3rd round pick but I'm not sure he goes that high.
Which is why I REALLY like Carradine(sp) if he slips to us in the 2nd. In either case, we really need to be grooming our next generation of edge rushers as we can't be sure that Spencer will return after this season - and we have no idea what kind of players Wilbur or Crawford might be going forward.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:17 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Which is why I REALLY like Carradine(sp) if he slips to us in the 2nd. In either case, we really need to be grooming our next generation of edge rushers as we can't be sure that Spencer will return after this season - and we have no idea what kind of players Wilbur or Crawford might be going forward.
Yeah I was really impressed with Smith against Alabama.

He more than held his own vs. Fluker in the run game, which was surprising. Beat him for a few sacks, which wasnt surprising but he also did work on Alabama's LT who is also supposed to be a first rounder.

One of his sacks came when he split the double team with Warmack involved.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:20 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
I like him a lot but purely as a weak-side defensive end. He doesn't play overly strong just with good leverage which limits his upside in the running game. I do like his agility and reaction off the snap. He certainly has a ton of athleticism and actually reminds me of another recent draft prospect in Brandon Graham. I don't think he is as stout against the run and his best fit is probably a Cover-2 team that can rely on undersized ends.

As a late round pick he's the exact type of risk/reward you want to target. I wouldn't touch him in the early rounds however.
He played well against Fluker who is supposed to be a top end run blocker. I don't think it's ideal to have him play the strong side (same problem I have with Spencer) but he definitely isn't weak against the run.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like Smith too. My question with Smith was if he could do that against Alabama... how come he didn't destroy the weaker competition that he faced the rest of the season.

He opened some eyes though. I would be thrilled if we took him in the 5th or beyond.

Tank Carradine in the 2nd round is not happening Rev. Would be very surprised if I saw him making it out of the top 25.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:15 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Sly, just not sure if I do at 18. 25-31 yes. I've watched some Youtube video's on him and liked what I saw. He did get washed out of plays some, but that can be worked on.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:46 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Actually you are in the majority here. Sly is a much better player than Short. We are talking about Sly at 18 while Short wouldn't merit more than our 2nd rounder.

As far as your question D he has 3-tech ability in a 1-tech's body. When you have a DT who has an explosive first step and has the girth and anchor to take on double teams he will skyrocket in value. The only major flaw in his game is his pad level. Give him a coach that can get him low and he's going to be a load in the middle of a defense. I would love him as a 3-tech (ideal), 1-tech, or even 5-tech in a 3-4.

He's my #2 three-tech behind Richardson AND my #2 1-tech behind Star. I still would rather take Cooper or Richardson and probably Vaccaro but after that Sly is going to be in the discussion as far as BPA.
i said that b/c back in january, after i had watched alot tape on richardson, short and williams, i brought williams up as a really good player no one was talking about but the only repsonses i recieved were preferences for short rather than williams.
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:47 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I like Sly, just not sure if I do at 18. 25-31 yes. I've watched some Youtube video's on him and liked what I saw. He did get washed out of plays some, but that can be worked on.
same can be said about richardson too
Old 04-14-2013, 05:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
same can be said about richardson too
Same can be said for Warren Sapp.

Question is... how often... is it a frequent problem?
Old 04-14-2013, 06:10 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Like Smith too. My question with Smith was if he could do that against Alabama... how come he didn't destroy the weaker competition that he faced the rest of the season.

He opened some eyes though. I would be thrilled if we took him in the 5th or beyond.

Tank Carradine in the 2nd round is not happening Rev. Would be very surprised if I saw him making it out of the top 25.
He did real well against weaker competition. Finished w 12.5 sacks and 18.5 TFL in only 10 games. His production increased every year which is ideal when trying to project potential.

I think part of the reason his stats may not have been even better is because of the type of offenses they were playing against. Make's it hard to evaluate a lot of these guys playing against the spread/option teams.

That's not limited to Smith though, just about every prospect is facing these weird offenses and you just have to see the type of tools they have and project to the next level.

I think he's a better pass rusher than Carradine is, though Tank's body & frame make him a more versatile player.

I prob should flip flop Smith & Carradine based on everything but I'm really high on Smith.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

Seems awful rich for a player who will almost certainly be on the PUP list first 6 weeks of the season, and may not really be able to contribute this entire season. Only team I could see doing that may be the Rams with their 2nd first rounder.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:24 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Seems awful rich for a player who will almost certainly be on the PUP list first 6 weeks of the season, and may not really be able to contribute this entire season. Only team I could see doing that may be the Rams with their 2nd first rounder.
I think the hope is you're getting a guy who some think is even better than Werner in terms of upside and could potentially end up as the #1 DE from this class.

Now, that's not how I view Carradine, but I think some teams probably do. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go between 20-35.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:12 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
I think the hope is you're getting a guy who some think is even better than Werner in terms of upside and could potentially end up as the #1 DE from this class.

Now, that's not how I view Carradine, but I think some teams probably do. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go between 20-35.
i'm calling it right now, if the giants take a d-lineman at 19, carradine is certain to the pick

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 04-14-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:25 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
i'm calling it right now, if the giants take a d-lineman at 19, carradine is certain to the pick
Yeah, I could see that. Reese likes to have depth on the DL, with Osi gone Carradine is a perfect replacement.

Giants have had an awesome DL under Reese. Don't expect it to change.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 AM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Quote:

Oh I agree with that, and I'm certainly high on him myself, but would take an awful confident front office to take a player who won't help you this season in the 1st round.

Take the Giants for instance. They have holes all over that team including the secondary, offensive line, runningback (to an extent) and tight end (to an extent). I can't see them making a deep playoff run with the current roster they have, and taking a 1st rounder who isn't helping them this year seems to be counter productive in the short term.

And I'd point out that I don't think he could be effective standing up. Which probably eliminates the majority of teams running a 30 front unless they do some hybrid stuff. Pats could take him I guess.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Curious what you guys think about Keke Mingo. Not interested in him for the Cowboys but just trying to get some general thoughts on him.

Obviously has speed and athleticism. Very high ceiling.

I think he's a 3-4 OLB only. Not convinced he has the frame to gain the weight needed to be a DE.

One comparison I haven't heard used that keeps popping in my head with Mingo is Aaron Maybin.

Similar athletes, similar builds -- I believe Mingo is slightly taller and heavier but has a very narrow, wiry frame like Maybe had.

Personally, I'd be more concerned with Mingo busting than Ansah.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

Was reading through mock drafts today and came across draftteks. Here's how it went:

1. Sheldon Richardson, DT Missouri
2. Darius Slay, FS Mississippi state
3. Travis Frederick, C/G Wisconsin
4. Leveon Bell, RB Michigan St.
5. Devin Taylor, DE South Carolina
6. Ricky Wagner, OT Wisconsin

The name I found interesting was Darius slay. I haven't seen him linked to Dallas much so I was caught a little by surprise. Also, he played CB in college, so he'd have a learning curve at the position.

Overall I wouldn't be upset if this is out it shook out for us. It could be better but it could also be much worse.
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

I believe most teams see Slay as a CB but could be wrong. I know most have him as a sleeper. Haven't see him projected as a safety anywhere else.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Curious what you guys think about Keke Mingo. Not interested in him for the Cowboys but just trying to get some general thoughts on him.

Obviously has speed and athleticism. Very high ceiling.

I think he's a 3-4 OLB only. Not convinced he has the frame to gain the weight needed to be a DE.

One comparison I haven't heard used that keeps popping in my head with Mingo is Aaron Maybin.

Similar athletes, similar builds -- I believe Mingo is slightly taller and heavier but has a very narrow, wiry frame like Maybe had.

Personally, I'd be more concerned with Mingo busting than Ansah.
I don't like the Maybin comparison. Maybin was stiff. Mingo is a flexible cat. Another big difference is Mingo actually knows how to play the game and shows up in games.

If Mingo has a creative DC, he could really shine. I think he could play 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE in the nickel, 4-3 OLB... He could be a beast. Ironically, Rob Ryan is the kind of DC that comes to mind. Von Miller-lite.

Last edited by D-Unit : 04-16-2013 at 08:00 PM.