Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-24-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Scouts Inc posted their 7 round mock.
For Dallas:
First round (#18): DT Sheldon Richardson
Second round (#47 ): OG Kyle Long
Still on board: DeAndre Hopkins, DJ Swearinger, Alex Okafor
Third round (#80 ): S JJ Wilcox
Still on board: Travis Federick, Benning Logan, David Amerson, Phillip Thomas
Fourth round (#114 ): CB Sanders Commings
Still on board: Ryan Swope, Earl Wolff, Barrett Jones, David Quessenberry
Fifth round (#151 ): T Ricky Wagner
Still on board: Sean Porter, Oday Aboushi, Earl Watford, Taverras King
Sixth round (#185 ): C Khaled Holmes
Still on board: Jawan Jamison, Gerald Hodges, Johnny Adams, Josh Boyd
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Bolyard View Post
Datone Jones is a 5 tech in a 3-4 defense. Not sure he's a good fit for a 4-3 at all.

If we're trading down and still targeting a DT (and Sylvester Williams is gone) then I'd opt for Short. Yeah, he disappears, but what defensive tackle doesn't? I think these rumors of him being lazy are greatly exaggerated otherwise he wouldn't have been a 2 time team captain.

Further, if we're going to trade down (say with the Vikings) then I think we need to target one of either Pugh or Long (though I don't care for each) to slide inside to guard in the ZBS.
That's too much of a cookie cutter look of his game, imo. UCLA lined him up everywhere. He's a mix match nightmare. As a DT prospect, he's one of my more sure things out there. He's a big ball of clay right now... a beastly ball of clay mind you, but a team could easily mold him into whatever they saw best for him. He has the ability to add or lose weight and become something special. At least that's my take. Tremendous upside and so good already. All meat. No fat. Tenacious mentality.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPATS View Post
I disagree with that on Jones. Anyone who can whip Fisher's butt multiple times one on one can do more than just set an edge...
He was able to do that in the senior bowl, but that was not what he provided at UCLA. He's a 'tweener who would just be a strong side end/3 tech. I think we have Hatcher and Crawford who can slide between both positions. I'm all for versatility but we need a future anchor at the defensive tackle position. Last season was the first Hatcher remained healthy and Ratliff has fought nagging injuries and has become less and less effective. On the surface seeing name's like Hatcher, Ratliff, Lissemore, Brian Price, Bass, Callaway, and Crawford may seem like a solid rotation, but that remain to be seen. Kiffin's defense cannot be effective if we can't get up the field on every snap with our front four. Gotta add another body in the middle and probably pick up a defensive end later.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
That's too much of a cookie cutter look of his game, imo. UCLA lined him up everywhere. He's a mix match nightmare. As a DT prospect, he's one of my more sure things out there. He's a big ball of clay right now... a beastly ball of clay mind you, but a team could easily mold him into whatever they saw best for him. He has the ability to add or lose weight and become something special. At least that's my take. Tremendous upside and so good already. All meat. No fat. Tenacious mentality.
Wasn't that the exact scouting report of Tyson Alualu? He's just been a guy in the league. If I have my choice of Booger McFarland (who I think Sylvester Williams can be) or Tyson Alualu then I'll take McFarland for what this defense needs. By the way, look at the scouts mock draft I posted. Crazy some of the players that are availible and where!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
For Dallas:
Seems like a Cowboys type draft. Leaves me hopeful, some questionable picks, some reaches; but those reaches have upside for us to cling to.

Overall, B/B- grade.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:46 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
For Dallas:
I would not be furious over this draft. I think Richardson is goign to be a good one. Wilcox is a solid pick as is Wagner.

I don't like the Long pick.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Quote:
Seems like a Cowboys type draft. Leaves me hopeful, some questionable picks, some reaches; but those reaches have upside for us to cling to.

Overall, B/B- grade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I would not be furious over this draft. I think Richardson is goign to be a good one. Wilcox is a solid pick as is Wagner.

I don't like the Long pick.
I think my biggest issue picking both Long AND Wagner. One is an extremely athletic zone guy, and one's from Wisconsin. The Wisconsin guys are almost always unathletic lunch pail guys who excel in a man scheme.

And I could do without Holmes.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:53 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jones has been a favorite of mine as well. I'm a little surprised he hasn't gotten more love from the draftnik community given his versatility, production and pre-draft workouts. He looks like a guy that can fit in anywhere along the DL. As is he looks the part of a stud LE, but I've also toyed with the idea of him gaining a few pounds and sliding inside permanently.

If comparing him to the last couple highly regarded DT/DE hyrbids, I like him more than Cameron Jordan and Fletcher Cox. He's every bit the height/weight/speed athlete they were (6-4 | 285 | 4.75) but the difference is he's violent with his hands and does a really nice job of shocking and controlling blockers... something I didn't see from Cox or Jordan. He's quick enough to threaten gaps and beat you off the snap with that signature swim over, but he's also powerful enough to overwhelm you at the point.. and that's a nice combination to have.

He's tenacious, was a vocal leader for a program that saw growth during his time there, and checks off across the board physically for what you want in a DLineman. Yea, I've been on that train for a while.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 04-24-2013 at 03:55 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Wasn't that the exact scouting report of Tyson Alualu? He's just been a guy in the league. If I have my choice of Booger McFarland (who I think Sylvester Williams can be) or Tyson Alualu then I'll take McFarland for what this defense needs. By the way, look at the scouts mock draft I posted. Crazy some of the players that are availible and where!
No that wasn't the exact scouting report of Alualu. Not sure what scouting reports you read. Alualu playing DE would've been quite funny to see. Completely different in body type, athleticism and demeanor. That really was a weird connection there.

The mistake people constantly make is thinking so and so is the next so and so. I know we see it all the time, but if you've been here long enough, you know I hate player comparisons. They just don't work. You simply take the best player you can get your hands on and use his strengths, hide his weaknesses (which will always be different in both regards). DC's are constantly having to adjust what they do to fit their players. They hardly find a replacement for what they used to have.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I think my biggest issue picking both Long AND Wagner. One is an extremely athletic zone guy, and one's from Wisconsin. The Wisconsin guys are almost always unathletic lunch pail guys who excel in a man scheme.

And I could do without Holmes.
Well said. I agree with it all.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where do you guys see Keenan Allen going given all his 'issues'?

Wonder if JG would sign off on him if he were available in the 3rd or something like that?

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 04-24-2013, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Quote:

Wonder if JG would sign off on him if he were available in the 3rd or something like that?
That would be a great value. I'd prefer Stedman Bailey for selfish reasons, but Allen in the 3rd would be a steal (and would probably lead to Miles release as early as next season).
Old 04-24-2013, 04:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

I'm trying to crank out my final rankings today. They are irrelevant to where their draft stock is and where they will be taken. More about how good I think they can be in the NFL.

Keenan Allen is my #1 WR.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

I think he's going to be good,too. I just wonder if the issues will keep him off our board

While we're talking WR, a guy that I think might have some value later is Cobi Hamilton. He's had some concentration issues so I've seen him have some drops but he's big, smooth, fast and strong. If the coaches can fix his catching/concentration, he could be a really good #2 maybe.

-Douglas MacArthur

Last edited by Macarthur : 04-24-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:24 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Menelik Watson would happen to drop to us in the 2nd, I'd be running up with that card.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
If Menelik Watson would happen to drop to us in the 2nd, I'd be running up with that card.
I've actually been having second thoughts on Watson. I do get high on his upside, but he reminds me a lot of Winston Justice. Yes, I hate player comparisons, but but are/were so raw, (perceived as) so athletic, so much banking on upside, multi-sport athletes. Justice has gone on to have a so so career, but he's mostly been a flop considering where he was picked. I really don't think Watson is as athletic as I originally thought.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:11 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Doubt Allen makes it past mid-2nd and is still in play for the 1st.

Slow 40 time at proday was said to be a non-issue due to lack of time to get speed and explosiveness back following PCL injury.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:13 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I think Brennan Williams offers similar skill set and can be had a round or two later. Check him out.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Gotta be honest will all the defensive ends that are expected to slide or at least be available from the late first to the middle of the 2nd...

Bjeorn Werner
Datone Jones
Damontre Moore
Tank Carradine
Margus Hunt
Alex Okfafor

I'm shocked that the Cowboys haven't at least tested the trade value of Spencer. Would free up a ton of cap space for this season and I have to believe a team would sacrifice at least a 2nd to aquire an edge rusher like that... especially for a 3-4 defense.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Gotta be honest will all the defensive ends that are expected to slide or at least be available from the late first to the middle of the 2nd...

Bjeorn Werner
Datone Jones
Damontre Moore
Tank Carradine
Margus Hunt
Alex Okfafor

I'm shocked that the Cowboys haven't at least tested the trade value of Spencer. Would free up a ton of cap space for this season and I have to believe a team would sacrifice at least a 2nd to aquire an edge rusher like that... especially for a 3-4 defense.
With how cheap FAs are going for this year, it was a total blunder to franchise Spencer and tie up $10M bucks.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
With how cheap FAs are going for this year, it was a total blunder to franchise Spencer and tie up $10M bucks.
At this stage, I doubt any team will trade for a player with that much salary.
Those teams wanting to spend a lot of money have already made their FA selections.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:11 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
spencer would have gotten paid this year, he's a better player than the guys that took one year deals (avril, bennett) at his position, he was arguably the second best defensive player on the FA market behind melton of CHI and he got franchised as well
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
spencer would have gotten paid this year, he's a better player than the guys that took one year deals (avril, bennett) at his position, he was arguably the second best defensive player on the FA market behind melton of CHI and he got franchised as well
Yeah, but I'd rather spend 18 on Jarvis Jones or another DE (Werner, Caradine, other) than Sly Williams and then use the money to tie up both Eric Winston and Brandon Moore. Probably would've gone after Antoine Winfield too (Seattle stole him) - perfect Cover 2 CB to help out depth and leadership. Regardless, there are soo many different options that would've been open for us. Dwight Freeney, John Abraham....are equals as one year stop gaps, that Spencer might end up being anyways. Spencer in the 4-3 is already a question mark/hopeful to begin with.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

On a happier note:

There's a few late round tackles that would make perfect zone blocking guards (or centers) in the future:

Virginia OT Oday Aboushi
Colorado OT David Bakhtiari
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, but I'd rather spend 18 on Jarvis Jones or another DE (Werner, Caradine, other) than Sly Williams and then use the money to tie up both Eric Winston and Brandon Moore. Probably would've gone after Antoine Winfield too (Seattle stole him) - perfect Cover 2 CB to help out depth and leadership. Regardless, there are soo many different options that would've been open for us. Dwight Freeney, John Abraham....are equals as one year stop gaps, that Spencer might end up being anyways. Spencer in the 4-3 is already a question mark/hopeful to begin with.
I have a gut feeling the team is very high on Mingo and if he happens to slide out of the top ten Jerry might make a move. He compares very favorably to Ware when he came out ( Mingo/Ware, 40 yard 4.58/4.56, Vert 37/38.5, Broad jump 128in/127in, 3 cone 6.84/6.83, Short Shuttle 4.39/4.07). Combine that with the fact Spencer is on a 1 year deal and Ware has the ability to still be a dominant player on the strong side it could make sense.

Rumor is the team only has 16 players with a first round grade and there is a good chance none of them fall to where the team is picking. Also, it looks like teams are in a hurry to move down or out of the first round to get better value in the 2nd/ 3rd. Although I would personally be against moving up because there is such good talent from 33-100 I could see a buyers market develop where teams get to slide up a few spots for a discount on the trade chart.

Last edited by Witten4HOF : 04-24-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote