Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 05-02-2012, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Prospect of the Day: Matt Barkley, QB, USC

All right, I'm bringing these threads back! Same premise as before, one prospect thread every day. We should be able to cover almost all of the prospects that are drafted in the high-mid rounds.

I'll start off with the top seniors, and then I'll move forward from there. I think Scott is putting out the list of his top seniors on Wednesday, so I'll use that to start off.

Discuss away!

QB Matt Barkley, USC

#7 - 6'2 – 230 lbs. – 21 years old

The front-runner to be the #1 overall pick, I think he's a good QB but is not quite on the "elite" tier as Andrew Luck and Matthew Stafford were. Anybody think Pete Carroll tries to trade up to get him?

-------------------------

Previous Prospects of the Day

QB Matt Barkley, USC

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I the only person who thinks Barkley is a tad overrated? Maybe it's my hatred for most USC prospects that is blinding me from what makes him so special, and I'm fully willing to admit that is the case, but I just don't see #1 overall material here.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:22 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Am I the only person who thinks Barkley is a tad overrated? Maybe it's my hatred for most USC prospects that is blinding me from what makes him so special, and I'm fully willing to admit that is the case, but I just don't see #1 overall material here.
You definitely aren't alone there. There's a fairly well established sentiment that he may not be quite the prospect that the media billing and statistic leads you to believe. The case is somewhat compelling when you look at the track record of USC quarterbacks as well(although you clearly can't use that as the basis of the argument in my opinion). It still early, but I really believe that Bray and Wilson could perhaps challenge Barkley a little bit for the top quarterback spot. Especially Bray, should he come into the season bigger and he puts together the type of season he's shown the capability of having in spurts.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:26 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a shorter Matt Ryan.
Very good QB with not elite tools.
If you need a starting QB, IMO Matt Barkley will be an upgrade. And IMO he's a 5x better QB than Mark Sanchez.

Safe pick.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Hellisan
Rookie

Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
The case is somewhat compelling when you look at the track record of USC quarterbacks as well(although you clearly can't use that as the basis of the argument in my opinion).
I agree, sometimes it's hard not to. In explaining to people why I am not that high on Blackmon, I find it hard not to bring up everybody from Hart-Lee Dykes to Rashaun Woods...

Anyway, on to Barkley. I will say that if it was my pick and Barkley had been in this draft, I would have had a hard time not picking him first. I love Barkley, absolutely love the guy. If I'm in the position to have every one of his tapes and scouts at my disposal who knows what I would come up with...

I watch him play and see a lot of NFL throws. One-on-one fades, hitches, back shoulder throws and plenty of well-placed balls outside the hashes...I have a request... Somebody find me a highlight of Andrew Luck DRIVING a 15-30 yard NFL throw. Like a 12-yard curl or a post route... Seems like everything Stanford runs is play action lobs or quick stuff to the TE or FB. He loves to finesse everything, you can't always do that in the NFL. edit: I will say about Luck that he does have the ability to make a throw look easy but still have good zip sometimes... Clearly has a great arm, but I don't see him producing NFL throws with conviction and ease like Barkley.

My primary concern about Barkley is, what if we learn he's six feet, or six feet and half an inch? Doesn't seem like it to me, but seems like a possibility. I feel confident he will have a great senior season,

I love Barkley, and although I like both Luck and RGIII, I don't think either of their offenses translates as well as Barkley's does. The Colts drafted a couple TE and if they expect to run the same type of plays that Luck built his draft stock around, they will have a tough time. They will need to use them like the Pats do, to stretch the field, and I haven't seen Luck make those types of throws very often.

Check out the throw at 8:34 of the Oregon Ducks video... That is Patriots / NFL type of TE throw. I haven't seen Luck use Fleener in that way. This is a STANDARD throw for Barkley.

Last edited by Hellisan : 05-02-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Hellisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:55 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bark doesnt have the elite tools like you see from guys like Stafford, but I do think he is on par or better than Luck in most of their physical tools. Luck is a tad more athletic but Bark is no slouch in that regard. He can make all the throws and is very good mechanically.

With that being said he is listed at 6'2" but like many people have mentioned it seems as though that is pretty generous. I've seen him play in person and while he most definitely doesnt look small, I have seen bigger Quarterbacks. Right now as far as being a Quarterback and how they play the position I rank him number 1 right now, no questions asked. His height is the only thing that may hold him back.

I think you see Wilson's productivity fall this year without his receivers and without Petrino runnin the show. Bray I feel will give him a run for his money, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:01 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oregon at ~2:05.

His play action boot and throws on the run are so money.

Last edited by kalbears13 : 05-02-2012 at 01:12 AM.
kalbears13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:07 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've made it a point to study Matt Barkley's height in any instance and every angle/avenue possible for a long time. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that if he isn't 6'2", it's so close that it won't matter.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:37 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a recruit Barkley was listed as 6'3, so I'm confident Barkley is almost exactly 6 feet two inches.

USC's official heights have been for the most part very accurate.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 AM    (permalink
Dangermouse
Rookie

Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dangermouse is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have this guy tabbed as the number 1 and unless he regresses he will keep that. I don't concur with the view he has a weak arm.

359 days till the draft, so we can cover that many prospects.
Dangermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:20 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watching the Oregon highlight posted up there, I don't see how he isn't the #1 QB coming out. I also don't see how anyone can not take notice of Marqise Lee (WR, #9), true freshmen in that reel.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:33 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
could also be that hes been hyped up as the next big qb since his junior year of high school, so you've been hearing about him for 5-6 years

cred 2 BoneKrusher
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Top 3 pick, but I don't think he'll go #1 overall despite USC winning the National Championship.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see anything "special" when I watch Barkley. Closer to Mark Sanchez than he is to someone like Stafford.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:52 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watching USC play Stanford last year, I was actually more impressed with Barkley than I was with Luck. I'm not saying Barkley is better than Luck, but in that game I thought he was. I love his accuracy and I think his arm is just as strong as Luck's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:00 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a prospect I'd put him somewhere between Sam Bradford and Andrew Luck.

I also think it's funny when people don't like a well-known QB, they say "He's a <insert slightly unique characteristic> Matt Ryan".

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rate Barkley as a top 5 talent but no where near the prospect that Luck and RG111 were. These 2 were the best in at least a decade and Barkley just isn't rated anywhere near as high.
When a QB is rated as a top 5 talent, there is an excellent chance he goes #1 overall considering how important QB's are in the NFL, even if he isn't quite a Luck or a RG111.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I'd rate Barkley as a top 5 talent but no where near the prospect that Luck and RG111 were. These 2 were the best in at least a decade and Barkley just isn't rated anywhere near as high.
When a QB is rated as a top 5 talent, there is an excellent chance he goes #1 overall considering how important QB's are in the NFL, even if he isn't quite a Luck or a RG111.
Griffin one of two best in the decade?, that's news to me.

Barkley to me is somewhere between Carson Palmer and Matthew Stafford. His arm is much stronger than most people in here give him credit for.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Griffin one of two best in the decade?, that's news to me.

Barkley to me is somewhere between Carson Palmer and Matthew Stafford. His arm is much stronger than most people in here give him credit for.
Matter of opinion I guess on RG111, time will tell.

As for Barkley, I don't see the Palmer/Stafford ranking. They are taller and while I like Barkley's arm, it just isn't in their league, of course, few are.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Hellisan
Rookie

Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hellisan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Matter of opinion I guess on RG111, time will tell.

As for Barkley, I don't see the Palmer/Stafford ranking. They are taller and while I like Barkley's arm, it just isn't in their league, of course, few are.
I find Luck and RGIII to be such an interesting couple of QB's. I am not sold on either one but I would use a rating system similar to how Baseball HQ rates prospects... First the ceiling in a numerical fashion, and then a letter grade (A being the highest)

RGIII is a 10D - Hall of Fame Potential and about a 25% chance or so in my book of reaching it. Due to injuries, the differences from his offense to the NFL style game, and the fact that let's face it despite his speed he is not an instinctive runner hurt him... however if he pans out I can see him leading the league in passing yards and TDs etc. if he stays healthy, being a multiple MVP.

Luck is an 8A for me. Potential Pro Bowler that can win titles with a strong D. I can't see him ever being anywhere near the top of the league in passing or winning an MVP. However he will be the ultimate game manager type QB that inspires his team, keeps the chains moving with strong runs when need be, and has the ability to make a big pass when necessary. Not much chance of him completely flaming out.

Barkley in Comparison is a 9A for me. All Pro caliber. I see him eventually being in the top 10 in passing year after year, and depending upon the quality of his weapons can be a championship-level signal caller.
Hellisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:39 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
He's a shorter Matt Ryan.
Very good QB with not elite tools.
If you need a starting QB, IMO Matt Barkley will be an upgrade. And IMO he's a 5x better QB than Mark Sanchez.

Safe pick.
Sanchez is a better athlete but the difference is college experience. Barkley has way more game experience going into the draft.

I'd say he's safe as QBs go...Good prospect.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisan View Post
I find Luck and RGIII to be such an interesting couple of QB's. I am not sold on either one but I would use a rating system similar to how Baseball HQ rates prospects... First the ceiling in a numerical fashion, and then a letter grade (A being the highest)

RGIII is a 10D - Hall of Fame Potential and about a 25% chance or so in my book of reaching it. Due to injuries, the differences from his offense to the NFL style game, and the fact that let's face it despite his speed he is not an instinctive runner hurt him... however if he pans out I can see him leading the league in passing yards and TDs etc. if he stays healthy, being a multiple MVP.

Luck is an 8A for me. Potential Pro Bowler that can win titles with a strong D. I can't see him ever being anywhere near the top of the league in passing or winning an MVP. However he will be the ultimate game manager type QB that inspires his team, keeps the chains moving with strong runs when need be, and has the ability to make a big pass when necessary. Not much chance of him completely flaming out.

Barkley in Comparison is a 9A for me. All Pro caliber. I see him eventually being in the top 10 in passing year after year, and depending upon the quality of his weapons can be a championship-level signal caller.
I have to disagree, if Barkley comes out this year, he is the #3 QB in the draft and returning to school isn't going to change that.
Luck, IMO, is a 10A all the way and once Indy gets up to snuff, he will be a sure fire HoF QB quite capable of leading the NFL in passing. Everything about him shouts out Peyton with maybe a true winner thrown in.

RG111 has it all, a great arm, a perfect temperament, no fear, high football IQ and quick feet even if they aren't Vick like. Of course, there are no guarantees but outside of injuries, he should do quite well.

Barkley has some limitations, not a perfect height, solid but not a great arm, comes from a school where he had 2 future All Pro OT's defending him and has superior talent at WR. It is far more difficult to judge how good he will be when he gets to the pros and hasn't all that superior talent around After all, even with all that talent, Oregon has dominated the Pac 12.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Throw around HOF again when discussing a prospect and I'll double sack whack you.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know its IIIs not 111s for RGIII?? I will join tj too.

I know its a total pipe dream but I sometimes wish everything would fall into place and Barkley falls and lands on the Raiders haha

I really do think he'll establish himself as #1 this season.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have to disagree, if Barkley comes out this year, he is the #3 QB in the draft and returning to school isn't going to change that.
Luck, IMO, is a 10A all the way and once Indy gets up to snuff, he will be a sure fire HoF QB quite capable of leading the NFL in passing. Everything about him shouts out Peyton with maybe a true winner thrown in.

RG111 has it all, a great arm, a perfect temperament, no fear, high football IQ and quick feet even if they aren't Vick like. Of course, there are no guarantees but outside of injuries, he should do quite well.

Barkley has some limitations, not a perfect height, solid but not a great arm, comes from a school where he had 2 future All Pro OT's defending him and has superior talent at WR. It is far more difficult to judge how good he will be when he gets to the pros and hasn't all that superior talent around After all, even with all that talent, Oregon has dominated the Pac 12.
Oregon had more talent his freshman and sophomore year, plain and simple. Thats why they won. USC didnt have the type of teams that youve seen USC field his 1st 2 years there. Ive watched every game that he has played while hes been there and he is what makes that offense go. With your comments you make it seem as though when he came out guys like Aaron Corp and Mitch Mustain (who were both 5* recruits) shouldnt have skipped a beat.

Bark is the real deal. He has a better arm than Luck so for people to keep saying that it is on par and what not need to get rid of that. His accuracy isnt as good, but the arm is better. Luck is a better athlete and completes a ton of passes on the run while Bark stays in the pocket a little bit more. With the whole offense being a year older this year his numbers SHOULD improve, or so I hope.

Many do fail to realize that he is doing the same thing guys like Luck and Peyton did in college and he is starting to be the general of that offense and Kiffen is letting him call plays at the line. Hes not missing much, other than that other inch people want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Last edited by SickwithIt1010 : 05-02-2012 at 07:48 PM.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote