Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
The thing is, it doesn't seem like an even remotely temporary problem to the people who commit suicide.

My heart goes out to his friends and family.
You're right, but taking your own life should not be an option.

RIP Seau. His family, friends, and the NFL lost one of the greats today.

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:05 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
I hear he didn't even Seau.
WTH?!?!? count me in the -rep as well
Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Weak ass joke

Last edited by Complex : 05-02-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:38 AM    (permalink
1funguy
Rookie

1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a human being, I'm saddened for both Junior being unable to reach out for help and for his family in their time of loss.

As a football fan, I'm sorry to see one of the all-time greats leave this mortal plane.

As a Chargers fan, I'm simply devastated. Junior is one of the primary reasons that this east coast native became a Chargers fan.

We've lost one of the greatest to ever lace 'em up.

RIP, Junior. Gone but NEVER forgotten.

Vaya con dios.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RIP Junior. One of the best linebackers i have ever seen play. Sad day :(
Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Weak man, just weak.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 AM    (permalink
TheBoyWonder22
Shave
Pro Bowler

TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're hilarious...

Compliments of TACKLE

Gamertag/PSN: theboywonder44
TheBoyWonder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Researchers at Boston University have requested Junior Seau's brain: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-seaus-brain/

This is obviously a personal decision for the family to make. If it is found that Seau has CTE with no documented concussion history, then it could really open up a can of worms.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 AM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I couldnt believe what I was hearing when I heard about it yesterday. Im still in shock. I had chills the whole time when I was watching his mother speak to the media. Never would expect Seau to do such a terrible thing to himself. He was a damn great LB but most of all a first class, well respected guy. God Bless his family through this terrible time they are facing.
Da-Phins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 AM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very sad news. Growing up and watching the Raiders play the Chargers, I always viewed Seau as the best linebacker in football. He was such a force.

R.I.P.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:50 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...play-football/

With Seau's suicide, the bounty scandal and all of the lawsuits, Kurt Warner has said that he wouldn't want his sons to play football.

Quote:
Asked if he would prefer that his sons not play football, Warner answered, “Yes, I would. Can’t make that choice for them if they want to, but there’s no question in my mind.”

If a man who loves football as much as Warner does would prefer his sons not play, there are probably millions of Americans thinking the same thing. This is a serious problem facing the game of football.
This is going to be a huge issue for the NFL to deal with.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Last time I checked thousands of people commit suicide and not all of them have concussions.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Last time I checked thousands of people commit suicide and not all of them have concussions.
True but there have been connections made before with this. A lot is going to made of it in the coming weeks.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
True but there have been connections made before with this. A lot is going to made of it in the coming weeks.
How many NFL players have committed suicide the last 50 years? Is it a higher percentage than non NFL players? I doubt it, it's probably even less. I think a big deal is going to be made of it but we'll never have enough of a sample size to see if there is a correlation. Some people kill themselves whether or not that have concussions. Also, some of these NFL players now think that the concussions have caused their depression which means they think taking their own life is going to help the cause. If Seau were a bartender with concussions maybe he wouldn't have thought killing himself would be helping the "cause."

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post

this will become a much bigger deal if the government can track concussions in military personnel (they're starting a database for it but who knows if guys will report them or just hide them like NFL guys do) and find a link between concussions and suicides among the military. They have a much bigger sampling of people to research so theyll reach more conclusive answers much faster than the NFL will.

If they do find an increased risk of suicide in multiple/severe concussion sufferers, the NFL will get sued by former players like absolute crazy claiming the league knew all along. Players will certainly want a bigger piece of the pie as well. Lots going on here
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This quote from Seau is making the rounds on the internet, today:

Quote:
"Those who are saying the game is changing for the worse, well, they don't have a father who can't remember his name because of the game. I'm pretty sure if everybody had to wake with their dad not knowing his name, not knowing his kids' name, not being able to function at a normal rate after football, they would understand that the game needs to change. If it doesn't there are going to be more players, more great players, being affected by the things that we know of and aren't changing. That's not right."
At the time that he said that, it would have seemed like he was talking in general terms about other retired players that's he's spoken with or heard about. If he was actually speaking from first-hand experience; and if he was waking up and not remembering his own kids names, then that's brain trauma, guys. :(

Last edited by WCH : 05-03-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
From me as well. Who does that?
Well he's an idiot. Not surprising he made that comment.

Completely classless and inappropriate.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:40 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_5394_Junior_Seau%27s_death%3A_pain_of_a_mother% 2C_deal_with_the_devil.html
It doesn't just have to be concussions, it's the adding up of sub-concussive hits that actually do more long term damage. There are also other things that happen in brain-damaged people. Serotonin (associated with depression) is harder to come by when your brain is not functioning properly. Maybe there were other factors, he might not have known how to live after football, but there are 3 kids involved, so that may not be likely.
What happens after medical science finds a link between brain damage and post-career depression will be the million dollar question.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Almost cliche at this point, but just shocking and tragic.

My initial reaction was that playing football was such a integral part of his life that not playing was just too much of a void that made life not worth living in his eyes. Concussions may have played a part time will tell.

On a side note, it is a completely awful way to go about it, but I see some amazing avante garde discoveries on TBI,s traumatic brain injuries. These are rocking two big button items right now, nfl players and veterans. Hopefully their sacrifices make us better off as a species,.
Lil Quip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Location: Springfield, OH: Most Depressing City in the Country. Look it up
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marcellus Wiley had me in tears myself listening to him talking about Junior.

This is crazy. Just crazy.

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:44 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

This isn't directly related to Seau, but I've seen a lot of people here and elsewhere mention mandating the use of the best helmets. I'd like to point out that there's a startup in Seattle that's developed a mouthguard that monitors the force and direction of impacts and sends data to sideline staff. The idea is to detect concussive and subconcussive impacts in real-time. The hard part will be getting players and teams to actually use them.

http://www.x2impact.com/X2_IMPACT/X2IMPACT.html

If I were the parent of a HS football player, I'd gladly drop $100 for one of them.

Last edited by WCH : 05-03-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was away yesterday so I couldn't comment but this is just really sad. He was only with the Pats for a few years, but he was loved here by everyone. He was a shell of his former self as a linebacker but he was a leader and a fan favorite. I remember that play he broke his arm and still didn't retire after that happened.

Sad day for the NFL.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 PM    (permalink
evenar
Rookie

evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.evenar is so money.

Wanted to share this, a short, yet beatiful tribute vid from USC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR67bL-7As0
evenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:32 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenar View Post
Wanted to share this, a short, yet beatiful tribute vid from USC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR67bL-7As0
teared up bad during that one

rip
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:14 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Terrible, terrible, terrible. Really heart-wrenching.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote