Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-02-2014, 10:29 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone else think of this when Oberyn was yelling?

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:37 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, noooooooooo one was thinking of that DG, GOSH.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:40 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shut the **** UP VIDAE.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 06-02-2014, 10:41 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You are the WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:41 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

But Brody....

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does vikes qualify as a person?
Old 06-02-2014, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not a bad person at all, so go away you mean jerk. And EVERYONE was thinking of that, it was blatant because he freaking sounds like Mandy Patinkin.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I really don't think most of you who are complaining about shock value/ not getting retribution really don't understand what the theme of the story is. You're not going to get that LOTR type ending where all the "bad guys are dead and the world is at peace" GRRM has already said as much. That is part of what makes the show/books so good.

We've seen plenty of "bad" type guys get what was coming to them Vicerys, Joffrey, Theon, the slavers, ECT. At the same time plenty of "good" guys have been killed. Most of the time it's people who have overstepped the limits of their power or influence.

For a guy like Prince Oberyn he was pretty ******* stupid to take the approach that he did. He's not even the high lord of Dorne, and he decided to come to King's landing and take on a Lannister/Tyrell alliance head on. He never had a shot. Similar for someone like Tyrion to antagonize someone like Joffrey like he did. The best players of the game survive, that is what makes the show so good.

In the words of Tyrion, "If you've come here looking for Justice, you've come to the wrong place"
People keep saying that its only people who overstep their boundaries of power or who are overly naive are the ones that die but that is a bunch of ******* ********. Case in point Jon Snow, who repeatedly goes over his line of power and displays the most uncanny levels of naivety yet he constantly gets rewarded for it. So many occasions he should have died if that were the case, yet here we are. Then we have Brann and his group of traveling children and a mentally challenged ogre, who have also probably over stepped that line yet we get to see them bailed out. Ayra to a lesser extent.

The only theme we have is that Martin isn't afraid to kill anyone off. If the above were true, Jon Snow literally would have died eight times over at this point, because he is constantly making the worst decisions that should absolutely have gotten him killed by now. I just think he kills characters for the sake of killing them, and I agree that its cool that Martin isn't afraid to do that in the world that he created. To me personally it feels like hes going a bit too far, I don't need a LOTR type ending (i hate that series btw) and killing main characters interested me the first few seasons but.....I'm bitter about this one dammit. Just pat me on the back or something.

Also to brodeur, I think people were far more upset about descend's post than the Alex's.

And yes DG, everyone was thinking that. Reviews have explicitly stated that theyre happy George RR Martin didn't direct the princess bride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Last edited by Jvig43 : 06-02-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:00 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing is with a character like Jon Snow, Daenarys, or Bran Stark is that they attach us to a different aspect of the story. The book series is called A Song of Ice and Fire, so there is more to the overall story arch than what has been revealed in the books or the show, which primarily focus on the Game of Thrones aspect of the universe.

All the books are written I first person chapters so if Bran, Jon, or Daenarys die then literally the entire storylines that the series has been developing, die along with them, which ultimately would piss off everyone even more for wasting all of their time.

Who is to say those characters won't die when their stories start to merge together, but for right now they likely won't because of the limitations of the story structure if they do. Whereas if someone in King's Landing dies they can easily replace them with a first person narrative of one of the other dozens of characters that are out there.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 06-02-2014 at 11:03 AM.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:02 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I am not a bad person at all, so go away you mean jerk. And EVERYONE was thinking of that, it was blatant because he freaking sounds like Mandy Patinkin.
I WASN'T AWARE EVERYONE HAS SEEN THE PRINCESS BRIDE I'M SORRY.

And yea that was mean Vikes is easily way worse than you.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 06-02-2014, 11:07 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We've seen plenty of "bad" type guys get what was coming to them Vicerys, Joffrey, Theon
Nobody deserved what happened to Theon, especially someone who acted the way he did just to earn the respect of the father who never loved him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:10 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
Nobody deserved what happened to Theon, especially someone who acted the way he did just to earn the love of his father.
He murdered 2 children, turned on his friend and family who trusted him, and pretty much was the most pompous prick in the entire show up until his dick was cut off.

Yeah, what is happening to him is probably beyond what he deserved, but not by much.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:14 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He murdered 2 children, turned on his friend and family who trusted him, and pretty much was the most pompous prick in the entire show up until his dick was cut off.

Yeah, what is happening to him is probably beyond what he deserved, but not by much.
He murdered two innocent kids to stop his party from chasing after two kids he considered younger brothers. He turned on his friend and the family who trusted him because he wanted to prove himself to his father. Theon was a horribly conflicted young man who wanted to feel love from his biological family that he longed for his entire life. Also, he expressed severe regret over his actions against the Starks before Ramsay lead him into the torture room again.

"My real father died in King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong, and now I've burned everything down."

If he deserved anything, it would be a slap across the face and a stern talk, not months and months of psychological and physical torture.

Quote:
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The thing is with a character like Jon Snow, Daenarys, or Bran Stark is that they attach us to a different aspect of the story. The book series is called A Song of Ice and Fire, so there is more to the overall story arch than what has been revealed in the books or the show, which primarily focus on the Game of Thrones aspect of the universe.

All the books are written I first person chapters so if Bran, Jon, or Daenarys die then literally the entire storylines that the series has been developing, die along with them, which ultimately would piss off everyone even more for wasting all of their time.

Who is to say those characters won't die when their stories start to merge together, but for right now they likely won't because of the limitations of the story structure if they do. Whereas if someone in King's Landing dies they can easily replace them with a first person narrative of one of the other dozens of characters that are out there.
Again however, their actions, Jon snow in particular, have pretty much demanded death just as much if not more so than any other character if the theme is what youre suggesting. I guess keeping the storyline alive for me just isnt validating that argument, Jon Snow has been a moron time and time again. Just comes down to Martin killing characters, the beetle analogy works for that, but it doesn't make it any better to me. I'm coming around to it, I was more or less bitter about what happened and its a good thing when a show gets you feeling that way about its characters I suppose.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:17 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I would have no problem whatsoever if Daenerys died. Especially if it were at the hands of Jorah.

Quote:
Old 06-02-2014, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Spartacus did death better than Thrones.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 06-02-2014, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've found the best way to watch this show for me is to just assume everyone will die, and hope the characters who I like die in memorable ways. Having your head "popped" would certainly count as a memorable death, so while I was disappointed in the death itself, the way it happened made it worth while. That said, I'm going to be pissed if they kill Tyrion.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Naga114
Rookie

Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ramsay is strangely growing on me, he is so fascinating.
He is a cruel character and a "bad guy" but I can't help myself to have a little smile when he's on screen because he's killing his scenes. Even though Ramsay does horrible things, people don't really root for his demise.

And if you saw the actor as Barry/Simon in Misfit, you can't appreciate the acting job he does as the character of Ramsay is so different from what he did.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Idk how you guys think Tyrion is getting out of this, especially after watching that. Youre setting yourself up for disappointment at this point. I think thats why I was so shocked and irritated after last night's ending. I expected him to win it because I liked him. I just see no feasible way Tyrion gets out of this, unless Jamie decides to help him out.

Quote:
Quote:
The Alex
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber21 View Post
I've found the best way to watch this show for me is to just assume everyone will die, and hope the characters who I like die in memorable ways.
Or you could devote yourself to Stannis because the Lord of Light has proven that death is not permanent.

Quote:
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Nobody deserved what happened to Theon, especially someone who acted the way he did just to earn the respect of the father who never loved him.
You could say the same thing about Ramsay's actions on Theon soooooo

Quote:
Quote:
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Or you could devote yourself to Stannis because the Lord of Light has proven that death is not permanent.
You are not converting anyone to Stannis.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 06-02-2014, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I could get behind the Sansa Littlefinger power couple.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-02-2014, 11:31 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga114 View Post
Ramsay is strangely growing on me, he is so fascinating.
He is a cruel character and a "bad guy" but I can't help myself to have a little smile when he's on screen because he's killing his scenes. Even though Ramsay does horrible things, people don't really root for his demise.
Agreed. I felt the same way about Joffrey. They're undeniable pieces of garbage but they're entertaining as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
You could say the same thing about Ramsay's actions on Theon soooooo
Roose at least treated Ramsay with respect over the years, he never gave him away to another house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
You are not converting anyone to Stannis.
Here are ten reasons why Stannis is unfairly hated by you people and deserves your support.

10) He is brutally honest. He doesn't lie, he doesn't exaggerate, he doesn't fib, or even bluff. It's the cold, honest truth with Stannis, because he believes that there's more value in that than there is in lies - good or bad. "Hundreds will die!" ... "Thousands..." "Mother said you fought in a battle. Did you win?" "Nope." You have to respect that Stannis will always offer you a straight and honest answer and will never sugar coat it.

9) Committed to a war against four opponents; all of whom held more land and had larger armies. And he did this because - and only because he has the rightful claim to the throne. Despite anything else about him, that takes a double dose of guts and righteousness, to face overwhelming odds and low opinions simply because what you say is true.

8) He is the rightful king of Westeros, at least as much as Robert was. He might not be popular, but that doesn't change the fact that he is right. Joffrey is an inbred Lannister, Renly was the younger brother, Balon is a crazy pirate-viking, and Robb, while honorable, tried to usurp the crown and take half of the Westeros landmass with him.

7) Melisandre. Her magic seem evil and treacherous and just sinister at times, and her visions may be grim and terrible, but she sure does put on a show. Her magic seems to be the one with the most observable power we've seen so far. I still dislike and distrust her, both as a character and her intentions, but she sure isn't an empty presence.

6) Davos - the Yin to Melisandre's Yang. Davos, on the other hand (pun intended), is so loyal, so good, so righteous, and so moral it hurts. He's kind, just, and loyal to a T. He always finds a smart reason to do the right thing and to be clever about it. And Stannis listens to Davos. And from time to time the best of Davos seems to rub off on the otherwise cold and indifferent Stannis.

5) He's just. "A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward." You might complain that he is more "lawful neutral" than "lawful good," but there's no denying that Stannis lives by rules and a code. And that having a rigid and sometimes terrible code of ethics still beats total lack of any ethics seen by so many other powerful characters.

4) Unlike the rest of these alleged "kings" and "queens" vying for control of the realm, Stannis puts himself on the front lines. Go take a look at the Battle of Blackwater. Stannis was the first one to hit the shore and the last one to leave. He had to be pulled away by his own men even though it was clear the battle had been lost. Stannis refused to surrender. Contrast that to someone like Daenerys. She has never done anything herself, she leaves it to her dragons and her cronies.

3) He's tragic. Many Stannis supporters suspect that he wont win or even survive, but - like Atticus Finch - they come to support him anyhow. He's not a Luke Skywalker boy of destiny like Jon Snow, he doesn't have powerful dragons like Daenarys. He doesn't have Lannister gold or Tyrell charm. He's not popular or likable - to the people of Westeros or even much of the TV/book audience. He's probably as doomed as a character can be, but he fights all the same.

2) He's never been given a chance. At anything. He's a loser in everything in his life. Stannis mentions how Robert always bested him in everything they did together. He's has a tragically disfigured daughter, the creepiest wife in Westeros, no real friends, and he's never been accepted by anyone for anything. Robert even gave Storm's End to Renly! And Stannis has always taken it in stride and done his duty. Now that it's his turn to finally be the big fish, no one is even willing to hear him out.

1) Finally, Stannis Baratheon was Ned Stark's pick for king. Ned died because of this endorsement, and he rightfully claimed that the crown belonged to Stannis. If Ned Stark meant anything to you, and his honour worth the breaths he took to speak, then Ned's choice of Stannis for King has to have some weight.

Quote:
Old 06-02-2014, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

I'm blocking you on Skype if you post that again.

RIP TheManInBlack