Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:36 AM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
So then what's the point of hiding information that he'd likely find out the next day? Really, I don't see the reason for acting all secret about it. The rest of America aren't members of the Dolphins organization either. It literally doesn't matter. Might as well answer the question instead of trying to hide something that can't be hidden. It's not like it's a matter of national security. Just seemed like a dick move to me.
The point is that you don't want to start a conversation about it, not that you don't want him finding out. Once you answer, you give him the opportunity to continue with follow up questions like, "What a second rounder, you serious?", etc.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:39 AM    (permalink
GaMeTiMe
Veteran

GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinfan2k5 View Post
The point is that you don't want to start a conversation about it, not that you don't want him finding out. Once you answer, you give him the opportunity to continue with follow up questions like, "What a second rounder, you serious?", etc.
Exactly. They were washing their hands of him and had no business opening up a conversation with him about the specifics of shipping him out. I'm sure Ireland wanted him on that plane to Indy ASAP.
GaMeTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:07 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinfan2k5 View Post
Well I don't see why Davis would care about the kind of value he garners in a trade. It won't effect him either way. If I really didn't want to open a discussion about it I would have told him straight up I can't disclose that information at this time. It seems like the way Ireland said it would in fact, open up a discussion. If Vontae was curious he could have said "Like what, a second rounder....?" No need to beat around the bush. But whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I think that the GMs and HCs probably don't want to be doing the show in the first place, and probably also don't want to be filmed discussing anything related to their standard operating procedures.
Then why did they agree to do the show?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Then why did they agree to do the show?
You know how sometimes at work, the owner makes you clean the bathrooms even though you don't really want to do that?

It's like that...
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
You know how sometimes at work, the owner makes you clean the bathrooms even though you don't really want to do that?

It's like that...
Stephen Ross made the Dolphins and their new coach participate in Hard Knocks?

Quote:
Old 09-01-2012, 07:17 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I must be missing the part where Ireland didn't tell him what he was traded for. He got traded for a couple picks. That's the truth. I doubt Vontae cares what round the picks were; something tells me he's not planning on making any mock drafts any time soon.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiFan24 View Post
I must be missing the part where Ireland didn't tell him what he was traded for. He got traded for a couple picks. That's the truth. I doubt Vontae cares what round the picks were; something tells me he's not planning on making any mock drafts any time soon.
My issue had to do with Ireland's pointless attempt to be reluctant about disclosing information that wasn't exactly top secret. At least that is what his body language was telling me from the scene. I was just curious.

Quote:
Old 09-01-2012, 09:13 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think it's nearly as bad as your making it out to be. It definitely wasn't a "dick move". If Vontae had then asked "What round picks?" he probably still wouldn't have told him. It seems kinda wrong telling him to his face what he just got rid of him for.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
@taniaganguli: Watt says from watching Hard Knocks he picked up on Dolphins' snap counts and the attitudes of some players.
Yeah, this is definitely the last season of Hard Knocks.
Docta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:07 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Well, that was an interesting "season" of Hard Knocks. For some reason I get the feeling that this show may have seen it's last sunrise. In any case, kudos to HBO and NFL Films.

By the way, the format they shot it in made it really seem like being an NFL player can be a depressing business if things aren't going your way. Bouncing from team to team, or having a one and done shot at an NFL career. I would love to have an opportunity to hang around an NFL team from training camp to the end of the regular season just to see how much the business side clashes with the attempt of an NFL team to build comradery with it's roster. It's ironic how the keys to success to winning are grounded with teamwork, but at the same time everyone also has a responsibility to look out for themselves and players come and go like nobody's business because of roster restrictions. Interesting dynamic, I think.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 09-05-2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is not good news for Hard Knocks.

From PFT.
Quote:
Watt says he picked up Dolphins’ snap count from Hard Knocks

Do not ask for whom the bell tolls. The bell tolls for Hard Knocks.

Texans defensive end J.J. Watt delivered a potential death blow to the show on Tuesday, explaining on NBC Network’s Pro Football Talk that he picked up the Dolphins’ snap count by watching the show.

He was a little sheepish and guarded when explaining it to co-host Erik Kuselias, saying that the same information can be picked up from the preseason game broadcasts. But Watt said that it helped.

And that one line could provide future coaches and G.M.’s with the ammunition they need to push back against an owner who decides he wants to be a carnival barker.

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said in June that the choice to do Hard Knocks was a football decision. Yes, it was. A bad football decision.

It did nothing to help the team win. It routinely televised embarrassing and sensitive moments involving players, driving a wedge between the organization and its most important employees and potentially making it harder (and costlier) to attract free agents to South Florida.

Though we love the show, no owner who wants to establish a football program that consistently wins games should ever want to do it. There’s nothing to gain, and plenty to lose.