Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-03-2012, 02:20 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Homepage help

Hi guys

I went and bought myself a domain name since I want to create a homepage that includes a blog and other content. However, designing that homepage turned out to be more difficult than I expected. Can anyone tell where to start? I run mac osx fwiw. The reason that I registered my own domain is that I want full control and no adds. But does that also mean that I can't embed wordpress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:24 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Icon

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where is your website hosted?

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:28 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Where is your website hosted?

I don't even know what that means haha. Basically I just registered the domain. What you're telling me is that I need to have it hosted as well?

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:32 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Icon

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post

I don't even know what that means haha. Basically I just registered the domain. What you're telling me is that I need to have it hosted as well?
Well at the moment it sounds like you just own the name of the website. I run my universities Law Society website so I'm not super knowledgeable about the process, but you definitely need to have it hosted somewhere.

I can't recommend any good hosts (especially given your location), but I know a lot of places like GoDaddy provide hosting capabilities with WordPress already set up.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:40 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

PM njx9. If he likes you, he will certainly be able to answer your question. If he doesnt like you, well, idk.....new njx likes everyone anyway.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:44 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

lol thanks. njx scares me.... I think I might a little later, but I think I'm starting to understand how to use wordpress to design my homepage. Thanks for the answers so far, I'm sure I'll come back with more questions later.

Quote:
Old 06-03-2012, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

njx is a big cuddly bear

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:20 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hi guys

I went and bought myself a domain name since I want to create a homepage that includes a blog and other content. However, designing that homepage turned out to be more difficult than I expected. Can anyone tell where to start? I run mac osx fwiw. The reason that I registered my own domain is that I want full control and no adds. But does that also mean that I can't embed wordpress?
Domains are just names you can apply to a host address or associate with another domain. What you can do with a page really depends on the host. As has been said. You can usually do whatever you want as long as it falls within the bandwidth allowance.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hi guys

What will you use the site for?

If you need a hosting site I recommend Hostgator. They host my company's site and they are extremely easy to work with.

As far as content management, Wordpress will probably be the best CMS for you. Drupal and Joomla are some other alternatives but they are not exactly beginner friendly, but they do the job if you're dealing with a small-medium size business site.

As far as designing, you won't need to do too much extensive coding as wordpress and other CMS does most of the UI work for you. WP has a wide selection of themes/templates you can choose from. Some are free but the premium ones are worth it if you want to spend a little extra dough for something sexy. You will have to learn how to work with plugins, modules and where exactly you have to plug in your content, but it isn't that difficult.

Hope that helps.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote