Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 AM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Berman to Call MNF on Opening Night

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...y-night-booth/

Quote:
Berman heads to the Monday night booth
Posted by Mike Florio on June 27, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT

Getty ImagesIt’s officially time to break out the Deux Deux Deuxs.

ESPN has announced that Chris Berman and Trent Dilfer will call the second game of the season-opening Monday Night Football doubleheader, when the Raiders host the Chargers.

The official announcement includes a “podcast” from Berman, who likely still thinks that term is a reference to the film Invasion of the Body Snatchers, in which he explains how the decision came to be.

“Our president John Skipper, our executive V.P. of production John Wildhack, we were together, and midway through an interesting evening they said, ‘We’d like you to call the second Monday night game,’” Berman says.

“I went, ‘Now, wow. There’s something I never really thought about.’ Of course, I’ve thought about calling NFL games my whole life, but given what I do and Sunday duties, the normal ones, and it’s Week One of the season and you get your hands full and we’re all excited and we’re trying to do our best in the studio, etc. I didn’t see it coming.

“I said, ‘I gotta give you guys credit. So, you understand I haven’t called a football game in a while, although I’ve called many baseball games and U.S. Open golf, etc., etc. I was really surprised and excited about hearing it, to be honest with you. Really excited. It’s nice to be surprised after 32 years, it really is.”

This explanation implies that Berman had done no lobbying whatsoever for the gig. Which some people will believe, and plenty of people won’t.

To get ready for the regular-season assignment, Berman and Dilfer will handle the Titans-Cardinals game on August 23.

Per ESPN, Berman will host Sunday NFL Countdown on Week One, then fly to Oakland to prepare for the Monday night game. There’s no specific word yet on who will replace Berman for The Blitz, Berman’s SportsCenter-embedded review of game highlights with Tom Jackson.

And that’s perhaps the real news. For the first time in a quarter-century, someone other than Berman will get the opportunity to narrate the extended highlights packages from the games of the Sunday that was. To give up those reins, Berman must have really wanted to get in to the booth.

UPDATE 10:50 a.m. ET: ESPN spokesman Bill Hofheimer says that the host of The Blitz has not yet been determined. With Berman absent, Suzy Kolber will host Monday Night Countdown from Bristol.

Yuck. I hate Chris Berman & his antics. I just don't think that this is going to go well.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

theres much worse out there than berman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:13 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Berman is a washed up ass hat and Dilfer just sucks. Add in San Diego and Oakland and this should be loads of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:14 AM    (permalink
RufusMcDaniel
Mage Bros
Pro Bowler

RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't Wait!
RufusMcDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dilfer irks me more. Smarmy know-it-all ass....ESPN shoves him into everything. I said when they booted Jaws from the booth that they were probably making room for Dilfer....maybe next season full time.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Growing up with NFL Primetime. I love Berman and his dur-dur-durs.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Pretty much how I feel.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Berman is annoying, but I can watch the games muted.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:14 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Pretty much how I feel.
The best was before the crawls, a million other channels showing scores, score alerts, so many game breaks with in-game highlights, NFL Primetime was the only way to find out about other games.

You'd wait for the game highlights and not know who won the game. That was awesome.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:37 AM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Yep!!! Plus he likes B-lo.
redbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Berman is straight up garbage to do any real color commentary on an actual NFL game. Dilfer make seem arrogant, but he has real football knowledge IMO.
I hope Berman sticks strictly to the play by play and lets Dilfer break down the players/what just happened.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Berman is straight up garbage to do any real color commentary on an actual NFL game. Dilfer make seem arrogant, but he has real football knowledge IMO.
I hope Berman sticks strictly to the play by play and lets Dilfer break down the players/what just happened.
ESPN may want him to seem that way but he totes their line like a tool with his "analysis."
Old 06-27-2012, 12:25 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anybody remember a few years back when Berman did commentary for the Masters? It was an embarrassment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Does anybody remember a few years back when Berman did commentary for the Masters? It was an embarrassment.
A bloated gasbag loudmouth commenting on an event that requires being quiet? How could that have possibly gone wrong?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At least he's not calling a game involving good teams.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:38 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiFan24 View Post
At least he's not calling a game involving good teams.
Or one that 2/3 of the country will stay up watching.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:10 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Berman is an arrogant asshat that was washed up 20 years ago.

They need to put his ass out to pasture.

Then, again, it's ESPN, which has devolved into complete garbage since becoming the 900lb gorilla of the sports world. They used to have some fantastic personalities and great analysts across many sports.

Now their only good analysts seem to be CBB guys. I used to love Jaws but the corporate hype machine seems to have sunk it's hooks into him as well.

They have shifted their focus to promoting their products with used car salesmen on TV and on the radio. And they have the deep pockets to buy almost all of the sports content that they want.

I only watch their stations now when there is a sporting event on.

Their onsite production crews are still some of the best, even their third tier camera teams are decent.

I just wish that they would axe almost all of their management and focus on delivering quality sports content, analysis, and especially reporting and not ******** hyperbole and highly compromised bias towards the leagues and teams that they have TV contracts with.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:21 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trent Dilfer makes me want to bang my head against a wall. The mute button was invented to protect us from people like him.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:20 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with all the people that say Berman is an arrogant asshole. I think there is a youtube video out there somewhere where he cusses at his producers for like 8 minutes straight. I'd post it now, but i'm at work.

should be interesting how this plays out.

sig by BoneKrusher
GM Vikings
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Nikolas
Rookie

Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't they just make a Holographic Howard Cosell to call games?
Nikolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I saw an ESPN segment last season where Trent Dilfer was lecturing Steve Young about QB play. Young was like...

WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:31 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Can't they just make a Holographic Howard Cosell to call games?
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Nikolas
Rookie

Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nikolas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I call my goddaughter a little monkey all the time.

We're taking it back!
Nikolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:57 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually like Berman doing highlights, he isn't bad and his **** is kinda entertaining. He should stick to that. His play by play makes me want to mute the television...
Old 06-29-2012, 04:14 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't the Raiders always play the Chargers as the last game for week one? Seems like it's been that way the last five or six years...

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote