Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:21 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komp View Post
Leon Washington is not an every down RB. Thomas Jones is decent tho, and I don't see why they would want to give up two picks for Turner. I can't see why ANYONE would want to give up two picks for Turner, especially with the amount of talent floating around at RB in this league.
Turner has all of the spark, and none of the mileage. This is a win/win situation for the Chargers no matter what happens.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.
Default hmmm

Turner = Schaub, looks good but a totally unproven commodity up to this point. I agree tho, it's a win-win situation if they can unload Turner for even just a 1st rd pick.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Turner = Schaub, looks good but a totally unproven commodity up to this point. I agree tho, it's a win-win situation if they can unload Turner for even just a 1st rd pick.
I'm sorry but that is just not a good comparison. Turner has seen significant playing time the past two years and has shown extremely consistent production. Schaub has seen very very little of the field and is far more unproven.
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:36 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moving up or securing draft picks would be nice, but man, I'm really going to miss watching Turner play if he leaves. He's just such a good football player. Think of him as a rookie coming into the draft. A 5'10'', 235 pound running back with 4.42 speed, and the mentality of a bull with the football in his hands. How does a guy like that fall to the fifth round of the draft? Probably because he played for Northern Illinois.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.
Default sigh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by myinnerself View Post
I'm sorry but that is just not a good comparison. Turner has seen significant playing time the past two years and has shown extremely consistent production. Schaub has seen very very little of the field and is far more unproven.
Has Turner proven he can carry the load over the course of a season? The answer to that question is no, therefore he is unproven. Quit being a homer and start being subjective. I think he MIGHT be fantastic. the key word is MIGHT, and thats why I think the asking price is way too steep.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Leon Washington is not an every down RB. Thomas Jones is decent tho, and I don't see why they would want to give up two picks for Turner. I can't see why ANYONE would want to give up two picks for Turner, especially with the amount of talent floating around at RB in this league.

Why not? Tiki? Reggie? Warrick?
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:47 PM    (permalink
bills_red
Veteran

bills_red needs more cowbell.

NO!!!!!!!!!! If the Bills do this I will be so pissed!!!
bills_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:08 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I would be so freaking excited if we got Turner. He is a stud RB and actually runs hard. He also has great speed. He is one of my favorite RB's in the NFL. I see him as a young Earl Campbell.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:35 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Has Turner proven he can carry the load over the course of a season? The answer to that question is no, therefore he is unproven. Quit being a homer and start being subjective. I think he MIGHT be fantastic. the key word is MIGHT, and thats why I think the asking price is way too steep.
I think you mean objective, but most running backs have not proven they can carry the load, in fact no one has before they actually do. Just the fact that college seasons are about 4-5 games shorter, and many college RBs split carries (Caddliac/Ronnie Brown) and still are top five draft picks. I'm sick of hearing Turner gets his yards in garbage time, thats just not true. He was alternated in with LT for a good part of the season. When it comes to Turner though, it's not so much what he hasn't proven, but what he has proven. He has proven that he is able to bull people over, outrun people, and find the open holes in the NFL. He has proven that he can step up in the clutch and ice the game (2005 @ Indy) or score in a playoff atmosphere (2007 vs. NE). He has proven a lot more than any of the RB's that would be available after Peterson.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:44 AM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

Quote:
He has proven FAR more than Schaub in his NFL career, and he has proven way way way more than any college RB because he has performed extremely well at this level. In college he was an everydown back like them, who carried the load. If you really wanna talk about proving they can carry the load, let's talk about Adrian Peterson, who was made out of glass in college. You are wrong, I'm sorry, but Michael Turner is more proven than Matt Schaub as an NFL player, and is obviously 100% more proven than any college RB. Not only that, but he has proven that he has great work ethic, and that he is a team guy. He has never once complained about carries even though I guarantee he is just dying to see what he can do as an every down back. I'm not being a homer, I'm being OBJECTIVE (I think you will have to go to dictionary.com and see what the meaning of that word is).
Old 04-01-2007, 11:42 AM    (permalink
gonzo1105
Veteran

gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He has proven FAR more than Schaub in his NFL career, and he has proven way way way more than any college RB because he has performed extremely well at this level. In college he was an everydown back like them, who carried the load. If you really wanna talk about proving they can carry the load, let's talk about Adrian Peterson, who was made out of glass in college. You are wrong, I'm sorry, but Michael Turner is more proven than Matt Schaub as an NFL player, and is obviously 100% more proven than any college RB. Not only that, but he has proven that he has great work ethic, and that he is a team guy. He has never once complained about carries even though I guarantee he is just dying to see what he can do as an every down back. I'm not being a homer, I'm being OBJECTIVE (I think you will have to go to dictionary.com and see what the meaning of that word is).
While I agree that Turner has proven more then Schaub in the NFL, QB's by far hold a much greater value to teams than a RB. Turner, while a good player at RB, will never fetch multiple high picks for the Chargers unless some team is stupid. McGahee for 2 3rds and a 7th was what the Bills got from the Ravens and he has proven much much more then Turner in the NFL
gonzo1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo1105 View Post
While I agree that Turner has proven more then Schaub in the NFL, QB's by far hold a much greater value to teams than a RB. Turner, while a good player at RB, will never fetch multiple high picks for the Chargers unless some team is stupid. McGahee for 2 3rds and a 7th was what the Bills got from the Ravens and he has proven much much more then Turner in the NFL
Thank you. That was all I needed to hear.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Old 04-01-2007, 03:35 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Thank you. That was all I needed to hear.
....but that wasn't what you were saying at all. You said the asking price was too high becasue he was unproven, but what he was saying is the asking price was too high based on position. So your wrong.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
....but that wasn't what you were saying at all. You said the asking price was too high becasue he was unproven, but what he was saying is the asking price was too high based on position. So your wrong.
"Turner, while a good player at RB, will never fetch multiple high picks for the Chargers unless some team is stupid. McGahee for 2 3rds and a 7th was what the Bills got from the Ravens and he has proven much much more then Turner in the NFL"

How is that proving me wrong again?

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Old 04-01-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
"Turner, while a good player at RB, will never fetch multiple high picks for the Chargers unless some team is stupid. McGahee for 2 3rds and a 7th was what the Bills got from the Ravens and he has proven much much more then Turner in the NFL"

How is that proving me wrong again?
It's not proving you wrong, but it proves your reasoning wrong. You said Turner won't get high draft picks for him because he is unproven, but what Gonzo1105 had said was that he wouldn't get high draft picks because of his position. Actaully, you even quoted and agreed with him that turner is even more proven than Schaub. So yeah, you're wrong in your reasoning.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Default hmmm

I re-quoted him to further clarify what I agreed with; that Turner is no guarantee [not unlike Schaub] and is still unproven and that any team willing to part with a 1st/3rd would be idiots. Heck, he even uses the word "proven' in the last half of his post.

Anyways, we obviously disagree on Turner's value so there isn't much point in continuing this.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Old 04-01-2007, 06:58 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I re-quoted him to further clarify what I agreed with; that Turner is no guarantee [not unlike Schaub] and is still unproven and that any team willing to part with a 1st/3rd would be idiots. Heck, he even uses the word "proven' in the last half of his post.

Anyways, we obviously disagree on Turner's value so there isn't much point in continuing this.
haha i guess you got a point there. for the record though, i think a 1st and a third is too much for turner, but a first rounder i think is on par. But yeah, i guess that's where we disagree haha so i guess that's where it ends.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:00 PM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

Tell me this guy isn't good, seriously: http://www.dailymotion.com/jcdavey/v...lrpq_turnervid

That is an extremely limited clip because the over 4 minute one kept getting deleted by the NFL because of copyright infringement. They will eventually take this down too, but watch it and tell me you aren't impressed and that he doesn't look OUTSTANDING.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Default man....

*Sigh* JUST WHEN I THINK I'M OUT YOU DRAG ME BACK IN!!!

No one will know just how good Turner is until he spends a season as a starting RB. He looks promising, but until that happens, who knows? Everyone looks good against demoralized teams in the 4th Qtr btw.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Old 04-01-2007, 09:36 PM    (permalink
defensiveback23
Veteran

defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.

Quote:

No one will know just how good Turner is until he spends a season as a starting RB. He looks promising, but until that happens, who knows? Everyone looks good against demoralized teams in the 4th Qtr btw.
If you are referring to the video, his huge run against the Bears was a preseason game very early on that he started. Some of his biggest runs have come in big situations. His game winning TD against the Colts was when the game was very close near the end so I doubt they were demoralized at the time.

I don't think we will get 1st and 3rd value for him but teams are obviously very interested and willing to give up a lot. According to the Union Tribune the Bills have already started preliminary contract talks with his agent.
defensiveback23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:46 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:

sigh and you drag me right back in....cmon demoralized teams in the 4th Q....that's a load of **** and you know it. Turner's carries are spread out over the course of the entire game, always have been.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:19 PM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

Quote:

First, I know you don't watch the Chargers play every week because if you did you would know Turner gets carries all over the place, and definitely not just against demoralized teams in the 4th qtr. Next, the point I am trying to make is that he is worth a high draft pick because he doesn't just have potential, as all the college backs do, he has proven that he can play at this level. Has he proven that he can be an every down back at this level? No. But he has proven he can be very effective in tons of different situations in the NFL, which is something no back in the draft can say. So, in my opinion, I would rather have Michael Turner than any RB coming out of this year's draft, because he hasn't just shown potential, but he has at the least shown he can produce at times in this level, and produce consistently.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:19 AM    (permalink
gonzo1105
Veteran

gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hey, didn't think my comment would stir you two up but hey guess I brought up a decent point. Have at it lol
gonzo1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:58 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Tell me this guy isn't good, seriously: http://www.dailymotion.com/jcdavey/v...lrpq_turnervid

That is an extremely limited clip because the over 4 minute one kept getting deleted by the NFL because of copyright infringement. They will eventually take this down too, but watch it and tell me you aren't impressed and that he doesn't look OUTSTANDING.
I would be impressed if it wasn't ALL in the late 4th quarter of blowouts. He's facing tired and demoralized defenses with fresh legs. He SHOULD succeed in those situations. Let's see him do those things on the first few plays from scrimmage, then I might be impressed.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:57 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I would be impressed if it wasn't ALL in the late 4th quarter of blowouts. He's facing tired and demoralized defenses with fresh legs. He SHOULD succeed in those situations. Let's see him do those things on the first few plays from scrimmage, then I might be impressed.
Did you read any of the other posts that explain those runs are not all in the fourth quarter against demoralized defenses?