Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-15-2014, 11:03 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
I just hope TC isn't afraid to play our rookies this year. We had a big roster turnover and there is no reason to not let these kids go out there and play this year
I think that given all of the turnover there will be less established trust for young players to have to overcome in beating out a vet. So we could see a surprising amount of guys getting onto the field who wouldn't have in previous years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:06 AM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
I think that given all of the turnover there will be less established trust for young players to have to overcome in beating out a vet. So we could see a surprising amount of guys getting onto the field who wouldn't have in previous years.
I sure hope so. There's no reason Richburg and Beckham shouldn't see plenty of playing time.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:19 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, I actaully don't see Richburg as a starter until Walton gets hurt, but ODB should put in some serious work as a rookie.

Quote:
Old 05-17-2014, 03:18 AM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Mel Pipeher hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I could see ODB used as our primary PR and have a few plays drawn in for WR screens but mostly he'll be used to help stretch the field.

It's possible Richburg beats out Walton depending on Walton's ankle but assuming he's 100% coughlin is going with the vet.

I don't see any of the rookies seeing a significant amount of time.
Mel Pipeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked the Giants draft in general.

Here is how I would have drafted

12 WR Odell Beckham, LSU
43 C Weston Richburg, Colorado State
74 DT Louis Nix, Notre Dame
113 RB Andre Williams, Boston College
152 TE Arthur Lynch, Georgia
174 LB Devon Kennard, USC
187 OT Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, McGill

I thought Nix was a good fit for the style of DT we have liked in recent years and was excellent value at that point

I was a little surprised by the day 3 DBs considering the current roster depth.

I really liked Arthur Lynch as a TE option, I thought he was a really good fit (and a team captain)

I think we should have gotten a developmental OT with good physical tools

Last edited by Big_Pete : 05-18-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:09 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All draft picks signed except Bromley. OBJ rumored 4 year with 5th year option, not sure on the numbers though

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
All draft picks signed except Bromley. OBJ rumored 4 year with 5th year option, not sure on the numbers though

All picks are supposed to be signed for around $2.5m in cap room.

Reports are that other than Beckham, all are 4 year deals

That means we have around $1.4m in cap room to work with right now and get another $5m in cap room on June 2 due to us designating Baas as a post june 1 cut.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:16 AM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Mel Pipeher hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
All picks are supposed to be signed for around $2.5m in cap room.

Reports are that other than Beckham, all are 4 year deals

That means we have around $1.4m in cap room to work with right now and get another $5m in cap room on June 2 due to us designating Baas as a post june 1 cut.
Enough room to sign Finley and maybe Kevin Williams to 1 yr deals.
Mel Pipeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Since this is a draft thread, perhaps you guys can help me.

I don't get to watch much college football here in Australia, although they have started televising some college games.

With that in mind can you give me any suggestions to keep an eye on this college season with a view to candidates for the Giants to draft next year?

Who are you keeping an eye on for next year? who do you want to see on Big Blue?
Old 05-22-2014, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Todd McShay's very early 2015 mock has us with LB Ramik Wilson from Georgia.

Any thoughts on him? I know nothing about the guy.

I am trying to find out who should be on my radar to watch this year
Old 05-22-2014, 06:50 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
Since this is a draft thread, perhaps you guys can help me.

I don't get to watch much college football here in Australia, although they have started televising some college games.

With that in mind can you give me any suggestions to keep an eye on this college season with a view to candidates for the Giants to draft next year?

Who are you keeping an eye on for next year? who do you want to see on Big Blue?
We'll probably start a 2015 Draft Thread somewhat soon and when we do people will come in and mentioning players. As college gets closer the activity will pick up but usually it's a bit slow until August except for Scotty and I promoting all the amazing Rutgers players.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
We'll probably start a 2015 Draft Thread somewhat soon and when we do people will come in and mentioning players. As college gets closer the activity will pick up but usually it's a bit slow until August except for Scotty and I promoting all the amazing Rutgers players.
ok no problem :)

It isn't that far until the college season
Old 05-22-2014, 07:41 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

Just a quick tip, if a guy plays for the University at Buffalo it makes him 5% cooler.

Quote:
Old 05-25-2014, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
Just a quick tip, if a guy plays for the University at Buffalo it makes him 5% cooler.
Is that based on temperature? :)
Old 05-26-2014, 04:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was kind of bored this morning and checked out Kevin Pierre Louis, the 4th round draft pick of Seattle, and I'm kind of upset we passed on him.

He's undersized but he plays a lot like Malcolm Smith, and we need that kind of speed at OLB.

We need to change some of our scouting to be honest. I feel like our views on the LB position and DT position are dated. We don't like Linebackers unless they're big, and in a 4-3 defense it's more important to have fast LBs than big ones. I rather have small fast LBs behind our DL, but we're still going after the big guys. That's why we can't pick a LB out of our ass in the draft.

And DT, we love big guys as well. We reach for a guy like Bromley bc he's big and has long arms, but a guy like Aaron Donald is staring us dead in the face but we pass bc he's undersized.

Sometimes I feel like we value size too much. It's a recurring theme with our draft philosophy. We don't like guys who are undersized on defense. We take the term "Giants" too literally in a way. We love guys on defense who are tall and have long arms.

I don't feel too confident about this season. I see 8-8. Too many what ifs to be too confident about this team. And from a talent standpoint, we just don't have as much talent as the top tier teams in the league. It's hard to be confident in this team.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:09 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

I think they passed on Donald because of how much they loved ODB, not cause Donald was undersized. Totally agree on us emphasizing size too much at LB though, beason's and jacquain are the two best lbs we've had since AP and bother are undersized.

Quote:
Old 05-26-2014, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I was kind of bored this morning and checked out Kevin Pierre Louis, the 4th round draft pick of Seattle, and I'm kind of upset we passed on him.

He's undersized but he plays a lot like Malcolm Smith, and we need that kind of speed at OLB.

We need to change some of our scouting to be honest. I feel like our views on the LB position and DT position are dated. We don't like Linebackers unless they're big, and in a 4-3 defense it's more important to have fast LBs than big ones. I rather have small fast LBs behind our DL, but we're still going after the big guys. That's why we can't pick a LB out of our ass in the draft.

And DT, we love big guys as well. We reach for a guy like Bromley bc he's big and has long arms, but a guy like Aaron Donald is staring us dead in the face but we pass bc he's undersized.

Sometimes I feel like we value size too much. It's a recurring theme with our draft philosophy. We don't like guys who are undersized on defense. We take the term "Giants" too literally in a way. We love guys on defense who are tall and have long arms.

I don't feel too confident about this season. I see 8-8. Too many what ifs to be too confident about this team. And from a talent standpoint, we just don't have as much talent as the top tier teams in the league. It's hard to be confident in this team.
There are a few LBs that I liked. I think part of the problem there is two fold, firstly we haven't valued the position highly, and secondly, the move to a passing league has further devalued the position.
I really wanted us to try and sign Vincent Rey, I think he would have been an ideal fit and a better option than McClain. I do like Kennard, I am curious to see how he goes.

I think we liked Odell Beckham more than Donald, he is that offensive spark we need for our new offense. I don't have an issue there.

I do think Bromley was a reach and that there was a run on our preferred targets in the second. Ross mentioned we had a 2nd/3rd round grade on Williams, so we must have had a second round grade on Bromley. While I am happy to be proven wrong, I just don't see it. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott Crichton was the guy we were targeting (went to Vikings at 72).
Sure Bromley had upside, but he feels like a 4th/5th rounder to me. If DT was that high a priority, I would have preferred to trade up with the Ravens to get Timmy Jernigan or take a guy like Caraun Reid in the 5th round.
But hey, obviously our scouts rated him very highly.

I actually think we will go better than 8-8.

Our defence will be solid, although it will be built on a strong secondary.

I think our offence will be good under McAdoo. I think our revamped offensive line will be very solid at least. Eli will adapt well to the new system and we have the receiving weapons to spread things out. Plus I think we will have a solid power running game.

I think our special teams is potentially very good. We have a ton of legit receiving weapons and with our secondary depth in particular our coverage units should be really good.

The competition and depth at every position is the key inmho

It may not be flashy, but this team still managed 7 wins last year despite everything falling apart. We have reloaded the roster, I don't see any reason why we can't win 9 or 10 games.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:17 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I have just started to look at guys to keep an eye on for next year.

Looking at the TE group it seems it is potentially better next year.

Here are a few guys I will be keeping an eye out for this season

Jesse James, Penn State - 6'7", 257 - 2013: 25 rec, 333yds, 3 TD
David Funchess, Michigan - 6'5", 230 - 2013: 49 rec, 748yds, 6 TD
Ben Koyack, Notre Dame - 6'5", 261 - 2013: 10 rec, 171 yds, 3 TD
Tyler Kroft, Rutgers - 6'6", 240 - 2013: 43 rec, 573yds, 4 TD
Nick O'Leary, Florida State - 6'3", 244 - 2013: 33 rec, 557yds, 7 TD
Old 05-27-2014, 02:43 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

We go as Eli and JPP go this year. If both are back to performing like elite players our Offense will do work and our D can be very good, especially if anyone helps JPP get pressure. At which point winning the division would be a very reasonable goal with the playoffs being the playoffs.

If Eli bounces back but JPP is still a shell of himself even with the upgraded secondary our absolute lack of pass rush will kill the D.

We've got so much competent depth around these guys that even if a Randle doesn't break out ODB, Jernigan and Mario might, even if DRC doesn't just bring it from here on out, Prince, Thurmond, Hosley/McBride, etc. will do work, if Walton gets hurt right away again we've got richburg right there, etc. So I'm much less worried about our OL, weapons, DBs or run D.

Quote:
Old 06-02-2014, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

here is a decent article I found on Undrafted Free Agent Safety C.J. Barnett, Ohio State

http://www.allmediany.com/news/23441...ett-ohio-state
Old 06-02-2014, 08:23 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

edit: wrong thread

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:

Last edited by BaLLiN : 06-02-2014 at 08:31 PM.
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

The supplemental draft is this week.

The Giants are reportedly interested in SMU RB Traylon Shead (6-2, 240)

The Giants were one of nine teams at his workouts

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...tal_draft.html

any thoughts?
Old 07-08-2014, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Looking into Shead, he was a top RB recruit by the University of Texas, Shead once upon a time ran a 4.5 40-yard dash, bench pressed 400 pounds and squatted 500 pounds.

Shead went to Texas who used him as a H-Back before going the JC route and transferring to SMU last year

SMU coach June Jones raved about Shead in the spring and expected him to be a workhorse had it not been for a pair of injuries.
Last year, Shead ran for 197 yards on 51 carries and scored three touchdowns in four games. He was hurt in the season opener against Texas Tech and again later against Temple.

Here is his injury against Texas Tech
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...d-horse-collar
Old 07-09-2014, 08:13 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh. I don't see the point in wasting a pick on a running back. Unless he's Adrian Peterson, no thanks. Supplemental picks usually carry a lot of baggage and tend to not work out in the pros.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Eh. I don't see the point in wasting a pick on a running back. Unless he's Adrian Peterson, no thanks. Supplemental picks usually carry a lot of baggage and tend to not work out in the pros.
He could be worth a 7th round flier or as an udfa

But we have pretty good RB depth