Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 04-10-2013, 10:26 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think when looking at who realistically will be on the board when we pick, I think Xavier Rhodes is my guy.

Although his pro day #s scare the living crap out of me. But when I see him play I see plenty of speed so I'm not sure if it's a major issue. He has plenty of recovery speed and incredible length.

We need another CB desperately. Webster has 1 year left in the tank if that, and Hosely is strictly a nickel guy to me. So if we can get Rhodes, redshirt him and let him go through his growing pains like all rookie CBs, then in 2014 we'll have one hell of a CB trio in Prince, Rhodes, and Hoseley.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sold that our CB need is quite so urgent.
We should add talent there for sure but there are good options after the first round. In fact of all the likely second round options for us, I really like the CBs.
Big_Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also think there is a good chance Rhodes is gone before we pick.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Sheldon Richardson falls to us... I don't care how many DTs we signed I want him. Mark my words he is the best DT in this draft.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:55 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka View Post
If Sheldon Richardson falls to us... I don't care how many DTs we signed I want him. Mark my words he is the best DT in this draft.
I think he would be a better option as a LDE for us to be honest. I'm not sure he is physical enough inside. If rather Jesse Williams in the second round as a DT.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
I think he would be a better option as a LDE for us to be honest. I'm not sure he is physical enough inside. If rather Jesse Williams in the second round as a DT.
He can do it all. He is plays with tenacity and is really athletic for his size. He would obviously play UT. Linval at NT and Richardson at UT with JPP and Tuck/Kiwi on the edges is pretty sexy.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:47 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1st round DTs just scare the crap out of me. I wouldn't hate the pick, as I do think he has some potential, but they just scare the crap out of me. The bust rate is so high.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has there ever been a study done over the last 10 years on what position has the largest bust factor in the first 2 rounds? I know it's hard to correlate what exactly is a bust or not but that's something that would be very interesting to look at.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I'd be curious to see that as well.

It's largely assumed that DT busts the most, and LT busts the least. I think that's not really true with LTs anymore. LTs have been overvalued lately and pushed up draft boards. A lot of these "can't miss" LTs have busted lately, or disappointed.

I think OG and C are probably the safest picks in the draft. And I also think that they're more valuable than OT in today's NFL, but that's a separate discussion.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
NFL_Draft_Bites
Rookie

NFL_Draft_Bites is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NFL_Draft_Bites is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NFL_Draft_Bites is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NFL_Draft_Bites is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NFL_Draft_Bites is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NFL_Draft_Bites is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NFL_Draft_Bites is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NFL_Draft_Bites is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NFL_Draft_Bites is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NFL_Draft_Bites is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NFL_Draft_Bites is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chances of Sheldon Richardson being available 19th Overall non-existent. Comparable prospect to previous top Defensive Tackles & in a weak overall class. Two weeks from now, consensus will favor Sheldon as the top DT over Sharrif Floyd.

Options are does Jerry Reese deviate from past practices & select a LB at 19. Does he view Ogletree w/ his speed & upside as a scheme fit? Remember- Giants play a Two-Gap system & he's really a one gap guy that won't maintain gap discipline. He's more of a 4-3 WILL in the system.

Does DJ Fluker rate highly enough? Right Tackle is the most glaring Need on the Offensive side of the ball.
NFL_Draft_Bites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:05 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

There's gonna be a TON of movement in this draft too, so how we expect the board to play out and how the board actually plays out will be very different.

We just have to sit pretty and let the chips fall where they may. That's the great thing about our team, we have a ton of options and we don't have to panic based on what happens in front of our pick.

Just light a cigar, and let the draft come to us.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Sio Moore is growing on me btw. There's some good linebackers in this draft. Brown, Moore, Green, Hodges, Gooden.

Oggletree...I'm intrigued but he takes awful angles and terrible at tackling.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would definitely like to come away with one of those LB's you mentioned in that group.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Rhodes looks so good when he plays bump and run. He reminds me of Jimmy Smith the way he can press you at the line. And I was a huge Jimmy Smith fan when he was coming out.

His shuttle numbers concern me, but when you watch him play you see plenty of recovery speed. And those arms. It's like he's a tarantula with those arms. His radius is sick.

The more I think of it, the more I feel that Rhodes should be the guy at 19.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Jimmy Smith has done jackshit in the NFL so far though so not exactly the best comparison.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

He actually did very well for Chuck Pagano. His rookie year when he played press man he was their #1 CB for a lot of the season. He covered Andre Johnson in the playoffs as a rookie, he covered Aaron Hernandez when playing the patriots and took him out, he was on his way to being a stud.

Under Peas, he was asked to play a lot more zone and off man coverage which he struggles with and he went through growing pains, but he got better as the season went on.

Jimmy can still be a stud, and I expect him to still be a very good CB. It doesn't happen overnight. He worked the kinks out of his zone coverage ability last year, he'll be very good this coming year.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah Jimmy Smith is terrible. I'm actually pretty happy I called him being such at draft time. Much like Rhodes, my concern with him is being way too stiff. He can't turn and run like he needs need. I'm just not sold on Rhodes.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I'll bet money with you guys that Jimmy Smith has a great year this upcoming year. I'm tellin ya, he was studly for Pagano when he played press. He sucked in off coverage for Peas but he'll put it all together.

He's a press man guy, Peas wasn't using him properly.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I mean, maybe, but up until this point he's done absolutely nothing.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:17 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

It's very possible he pulls a Webster. I haven't totally given up on him being a good NFL player but at this point it's not looking good.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-12-2013, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Paul Schwartz has tweeted that Manti Teo is visiting with the Giants last night and today.

It looks like he is definately on the Giants radar
Old 04-12-2013, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Jimmy can still be a stud, and I expect him to still be a very good CB. It doesn't happen overnight. He worked the kinks out of his zone coverage ability last year, he'll be very good this coming year.
That is just it, many teams are wanting and expecting immediate impact, there is not as much patience to develop the guy.

The Giants philosophy where we develop the guy and has to be good enough to beat out the established vets on the team is not common.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I decided I want Tank as our first rounder. that is all.

and i'd be fine with Te'o...in the 2nd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this is the year they take LB and OL high. I can feel it. Reese got his fun picks last year. Now it's meat and potatoes.

And I don't love the CBs, so maybe that's why I feel this way, but I think the Giants are OK at CB. Webster is going to start so unless you're confident Rhodes/Tru will supplant him as some huge upgrade (doubtful) and send him to the bench, I don't understand the pick. And Amukamara/TT is the other starter and Hosely/Ross/TT in the slot. Anything they get from TT is extra (unless they move him full time to FS).

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't see the "need." Hold on I just threw up in my mouth.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:54 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Justin Tuck has come out and said he'd mentor Teo if we drafted him

from http://www.giants101.com/2013/04/13/...013-nfl-draft/

Quote:
The Giants defensive end would serve as a veteran leader and mentor for Te'o if he were to come to New York.

"Say he does end up with us, hopefully that is something I can help him with," Tuck said. "And help other guys. I can move the conversation on and say, 'Listen man, he made a mistake.' Hopefully, wherever he ends up, there is a vet guy with that same mentality because the guy can play football."