Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who Was the Best Team Last Year?
Packers 41 49.40%
Patriots 4 4.82%
Ravens 3 3.61%
Steelers 0 0%
49ers 7 8.43%
Texans 6 7.23%
Saints 3 3.61%
Giants 17 20.48%
Lions 1 1.20%
Bengals 1 1.20%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2012, 03:49 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran

jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
We beat the Patriots in that game so yes, we were absolutely better. Were they more talented? Yeah. Is that the question? No. I don't get what's so hard about this. I think people are confusing "best" and "most talented"

Stupidest thing I've ever read on the internet. Go look back at a list of the best teams ever and I guarantee you that the 2007 Giants are not on that list but the 2007 Pats will be.
jsagan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:06 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsagan77 View Post
Stupidest thing I've ever read on the internet. Go look back at a list of the best teams ever and I guarantee you that the 2007 Giants are not on that list but the 2007 Pats will be.
HAHAHAHAHA go back and look at subjective lists of someone on the internet, use their opinions. that's right, that'll prove me wrong!

hilarious. Again, I take it as:

1) Best =/= Most talented. That's how I see it. Others see it differently and I can understand that viewpoint, I just don't agree with it.

2) We're not talking just the regular season, we're taking the playoffs. I'm not saying best regular season, I'm taking into account the playoffs.

But hey, there are lists on the internet that go against my argument, so I'm an idiot on the internet.

*ps. If the Giants didn't win this Super Bowl, would I be defending this like I am? Not as much, no, you're right. I'm not denying it, but it's my stance regardless. The best are the champs, the ones who are best in all facets and variables of the game throughout not just the season, but postseason as well*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
HAHAHAHAHA go back and look at subjective lists of someone on the internet, use their opinions. that's right, that'll prove me wrong!

hilarious. Again, I take it as:

1) Best =/= Most talented. That's how I see it. Others see it differently and I can understand that viewpoint, I just don't agree with it.

2) We're not talking just the regular season, we're taking the playoffs. I'm not saying best regular season, I'm taking into account the playoffs.

But hey, there are lists on the internet that go against my argument, so I'm an idiot on the internet.

*ps. If the Giants didn't win this Super Bowl, would I be defending this like I am? Not as much, no, you're right. I'm not denying it, but it's my stance regardless. The best are the champs, the ones who are best in all facets and variables of the game throughout not just the season, but postseason as well*
Just winning the championship doesn't make you the best team. Denver beating the steelers in the playoffs doesn't mean they were the better team. They were the healthier team.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:15 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
Just winning the championship doesn't make you the best team. Denver beating the steelers in the playoffs doesn't mean they were the better team. They were the healthier team.
So being the best trained, or having the best depth, or surviving the war of attrition that is the NFL season best, means nothing? This is my point. Steelers were obviously the more talented team, but they weren't the better team that day. Showing up and playing through injuries, having better depth, or adapting to injuries makes you better.
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:16 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The best team last year was the Packers. The best team when it mattered most the Giants.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:16 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't understand this argument. The Giants are the best, because they beat the Patriots in one game? So are the Chiefs better than the Packers? Are the Redskins better than the Giants? More than "being the best" contributes to winning a game. There's a bit of luck and then there's how you perform on the day. The Giants were the best team against the Patriots in the Superbowl, but were they the best team throughout the season? Of course not.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:23 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
I really don't understand this argument. The Giants are the best, because they beat the Patriots in one game? So are the Chiefs better than the Packers? Are the Redskins better than the Giants? More than "being the best" contributes to winning a game. There's a bit of luck and then there's how you perform on the day. The Giants were the best team against the Patriots in the Superbowl, but were they the best team throughout the season? Of course not.
Not one game...being good enough through the regular season to make the playoffs and then being the best in the playoffs. The Giants were the best team in the playoffs, so it's far from one game.
Quote:
Old 07-28-2012, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Were the Packers the best team in 2010?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:24 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lots of butt hurt Giant fans in this thread. You guys got the ultimate prize quit ******* crying like babies because people disagree with your opinions. "Last year" is more then just the playoffs.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:30 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
For the whole season? No. We were inconsistent, losing to the Redskins and Dolphins at home. We lost nearly every close game we played in the regular season, and didn't even finish first in our division. I don't think you can call a team that finished the season 2nd in their division and then went on a hot streak and won 4 games in a row, the best team in the league that year.

RIP themaninblack
Old 07-28-2012, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So what's the purpose of the thread then guys? Why didn't the thread just ask "Who won the super bowl last year" they made the distinction for a reason.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I thought it was the Ravens or the Packers.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 07-28-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:37 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
So what's the purpose of the thread then guys? Why didn't the thread just ask "Who won the super bowl last year" they made the distinction for a reason.
He asked a question to spring debate. Different sides and opinions came out. Now it's turned into a "Giants are butthurt homers thread" because when someone disagrees with you, ad hom attacks are thrown around and people get all up in arms. Actually, this was all started because the OP got in a debate with a redskins fan on a different board.

I've said at least 3 times my stance and my opinion on the terminology. Who ever wins the Super Bowl that year is the best team. It's how I see it. Feel free to call me a butthurt whiny homer, but it's my stance regardless if the Giants, Eagles, Chargers or Oilers win it.
Quote:
Old 07-28-2012, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
For the whole season? No. We were inconsistent, losing to the Redskins and Dolphins at home. We lost nearly every close game we played in the regular season, and didn't even finish first in our division. I don't think you can call a team that finished the season 2nd in their division and then went on a hot streak and won 4 games in a row, the best team in the league that year.
You don't consider the 15-1 2011 Packers an extension of the 2010 SB winning Packers?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-28-2012, 05:41 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran

jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77

Quote:
Love the objectivity. +Rep
Old 07-28-2012, 05:44 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You don't consider the 15-1 2011 Packers an extension of the 2010 SB winning Packers?
Yeah, we carried on what we had from 2010 into 2011, but they're different seasons. If you're ranking who was the best each year you can't take what happened before or after that into account.

RIP themaninblack
Old 07-28-2012, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Yeah, we carried on what we had from 2010 into 2011, but they're different seasons. If you're ranking who was the best each year you can't take what happened before or after that into account.
Well I think you can. I already said I don't think the Giants were the best team throughout the year last year though. The 2008 Giants success to me proved that the 2007 SB Giants weren't a fluke though even though I know no one said that.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-28-2012, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If every team in the league played every other team once, I believe the Packers would have came out with the best record. That's how I'm going to define best.

That doesn't take anything away from the Giants. They are the Champions and deserve to be obviously. But the "best" team doesn't always, or even most of the time really, win the title.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:50 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Well I think you can. I already said I don't think the Giants were the best team throughout the year last year though. The 2008 Giants success to me proved that the 2007 SB Giants weren't a fluke though even though I know no one said that.
It could prove they weren't a fluke, but it doesn't mean they played any better. In 2010 the Packers went 14-6. Going 15-2 the next season doesn't change that fact.

RIP themaninblack
Old 07-28-2012, 06:20 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Asking who the 'best team' was last season is vague.
The season includes the regular season schedule AND the playoffs. Every NFL HC and player will tell you that the NFL season is divided into halves, the 2nd half in many ways more important in the first. However if you don't perform well enough in the first half(regular season), you don't get the chance to prove yourself in the postseason.

The best team last season was the Giants.
The best regular season team was the Packers.

No one really gives a f____ who the best regular season team is, unless you own season tickets.

There is only ONE display in the HOF for the best regular season team in the NFL, and that's the 1972 Dolphins.
There won't be one for undefeated 2007 Patriots.

It's all about winning rings.

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 07-28-2012 at 09:06 PM.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:28 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Asking who the 'best team' was last season is vague.
The season includes the regular season schedule AND the playoffs. Every NFL HC and player will tell you that the NFL season is divided into halves, the 2nd half in many ways more important in the first. However if you don't perform well enough in the first half(regular season), you don't get the chance to prove yourself in the postseason.

The best team last season were the Giants.
The best regular season team were the Packers.

No one really gives a f____ who the best regular season team is, unless you own season tickets.

There is only ONE display in the HOF for the best regular season team in the NFL, and that's the 1972 Dolphins.
There won't be one for undefeated 2007 Patriots.

It's all about winning rings.
The 2007 Pats won more games than the undefeated Dolphins.. (true story) I think there will be some sort of recognition in the HOF for them. They're the first to ever go 16-0 during the regular season and only team to go 18-0 EVER, in NFL history. That's a huge accomplishment and one that's way harder than winning the Lombardi trophy considering only two teams in NFL history have achieved that milestone.

One game does not make a season or break a season of that magnitude. Kings beat Aces sometimes in NLH but it doesn't mean it's the better hand.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Was the purpose of your second sentence to try and disprove the first?

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's because with their seasons on the line and both on the verge of accomplishing the entire point of the NFL season, the giants were the better team when they met. You can not compare that to a regular season upset of a Packers team that'd already wrapped up their division and didn't need that win.

The regular season only matters as it relates to the playoffs and once the playoffs started, the Giants were just as good as the Pats until the Superbowl, where they were better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerLegend View Post
Lots of butt hurt Giant fans in this thread. You guys got the ultimate prize quit ******* crying like babies because people disagree with your opinions. "Last year" is more then just the playoffs.
how dare you!...

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 07-28-2012, 07:14 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran

Rosebud comes in with some more Pointed information that remains irrelevent to the conversation. Again, just because it's a one and done tournament does not mean the best player or team wins. You have to take in the entire season because of this little thing that doesn't exist in your world obviously. It's called variance. Look it up.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Rosebud comes in with some more Pointed information that remains irrelevent to the conversation. Again, just because it's a one and done tournament does not mean the best player or team wins. You have to take in the entire season because of this little thing that doesn't exist in your world obviously. It's called variance. Look it up.
But why? No one has made an argument for the regular season being anything more than a qualifying process for the post-season tournament. If that's the case who cares how they qualified? Let's look at how they did in the tournament that matters and from the start of the playoffs, the 2012 Giants were the best team in football.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: