Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2012/2013 Indianapolis Colts Season

So the new era begins. Hopefully it's a long and successful one.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:29 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I had to listen to the game on the radio which was disappointing, but I've since been able to watch some highlights and Luck looked awesome. He was so agile in the pocket, easily sliding away from pressure and getting his passes off. The multiple sets on offense look like they're going to be difficult to defend. While I did not obviously get to see a lot of the game I get the impression that the OL is still not where it needs to be. I think they will improve as they play more together but I doubt we have more than 2 long-term starters currently on the roster. From what I've read Justice and especially McGlynn looked bad and the OL improved when he got hurt. I was hoping to hear more about Fleener and Allen, it looks like they barely saw any action as receivers.

Defensively I am excited about the versatility and chaos of the Pagano/Manusky hybrid 3-4. It's just preseason but the Rams were seriously held down. Only 2.8 ypc rushing, one FG, no TDs, great. It will be interesting to see who our final starting DL is. It's just one game but I am expecting it to be Redding, McKinney, and Nevis at this point. I wish Josh Chapman was ready to go. I have heard good things about Jerry Hughes, Mario Addison, Jerrell Freeman, and Kavell Conner at LB. Sucks Angerer got hurt.

I can't wait til the next game.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:36 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've read the same thing.

Looks like OL and secondary are our 2 clear-cut weaknesses.

Our front 7 might be better then people realize.

Our running game is a wild card. None of our backs are stars, but I think we could have a solid rotation if (and it's a big if) the OL opens some holes for them.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brown is a threat when he gets space. I am not a big fan of Brown but you can't deny he is a home run hitter. His problem is trying to find a hole in the line and popping through it. So I don't see him ever being more than a part-time RB on this team. Used in the right situations, he is a weapon. Run a delay or a draw, toss him a dump off pass, etc. But he has no vision behind the line of scrimmage and he's not going to break tackles. If he was a better receiver he might remind me a bit of Reggie Bush. I think we have the pieces in place to have a complete running game, but it will take a lot of subbing in different packages and having good football situational awareness.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-13-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pat Angerer is going to be gone for 6 weeks. Ouch... INJURIEZZ

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:00 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

That sucks because when he is physically back he will be behind the curve because the other guys will have been in the defense for 6 weeks without him. Conner and Freeman seem solid so he might have a tough time returning as a starter right away.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That sucks because when he is physically back he will be behind the curve because the other guys will have been in the defense for 6 weeks without him. Conner and Freeman seem solid so he might have a tough time returning as a starter right away.
Well that is a good problem to have I guess.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:26 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

True. But I like Angerer so I am bummed for him. I'm sure he'll get on the field somehow, he's too good not to.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Quote:
True. But I like Angerer so I am bummed for him. I'm sure he'll get on the field somehow, he's too good not to.
This is truth. I think he a little further along than other players from the statement I read by Pagano. Pagano thought really highly of him so I expect him to bounce back. I'm sure he will return to the lineup before the halfway point of this year.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 08-13-2012, 11:40 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Speaking of guys returning (or in this case just arriving in the first place) I hope Josh Chapman can start at least practicing soon. I have high hopes, didn't think he'd still be out at this point.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Yeah I haven't heard anything about him. What is his timetable? And it was an ACL injury right?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 08-14-2012, 03:41 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Did anybody get a good look at the corner across Powers? Opinions?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 08-17-2012, 04:19 PM    (permalink
jared3
Rookie

jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CB Justin King (Former Ram) played well as well as CB D.J. Johnson (former Giant).
jared3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Very good first half from Luck.

After first 2 drives, he settled down and did his thing.

The 2nd INT was arguably the best throw of the game, Hilton bubbled it right into defender's hands.

Some other notes:

- Vick Ballard is a good back. One run in particular, he spun away from the defender, stiff-armed another and beat another to the edge. I think he might be the best RB on our roster.

- Hughes looks MUCH more comfortable in this system, including making plays vs. the run.

- Mario Addison can play. Not only should be make the roster, but I think he should be part of rotation.

- O-Line is really mediocre. Most of the successful runs were to outside, they aren't opening any holes inside. Pass-protection has been ok, although Luck moved around the pocket well and has a quick release.

- I like our front 7. I think this could really be the key for us. I'm not used seeing physical guys in the front 7 in the Colts' uniform.

- Tackling at times has been questionable. Gotta fix that.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Good thoughts Max.

Luck showed jitters. Who wouldn't facing the Steelers for the first time? I am very impressed with the way he came out after each INT and lead the team on an 80 yard TD drive. His pocket presence and ball placement are stupid good for a rookie, and already better than many starting QBs in the league. It is just unfair how we fell into drafting him. One of the best things Polian ever did for the Colts. There were some throws to the sideline that probably needed more zip.

Ballard is exciting. His violent running style reminds me a little of Adrian Peterson. I am not saying he will be that good. Just that it's a little reminiscent. I think he is a great compliment to Brown (who has some skill when he gets room). I do think he'll end up the feature back eventually.

I am sure the quality of competition applies a bit here, but Hughes and Addison have looked more comfortable as OLBs than Mathis and Freeney so far. Now Mathis is dinged and Freeney still looks lost. But I am happy with the OLB depth, Hughes and Addison have been surprisingly good. I just hope they can keep it up.

I actually thought the OL was much improved. Outside of a couple plays where Luck was either sacked or had to really move to get the ball out, he had room and time. Satele was better than the first game. Castonzo and Reitz were too. And Justice even looked more solid. We still need a real RG though. Hopefully somebody good gets cut from a team w/good depth. I think they will all continue to get better as they keep playing together. Hopefully they all stay healthy.

I like Nevis and Mathews at DE, more than Moala for sure. I wish Redding could stay healthy. I don't really like Mookie or McKinney as a starting NT. And Chapman isn't going to be ready right away. So that is a tough spot right now.

I am also not impressed by Zbikowski. He talks tough and tries hard but he is a wrap-up-and-fall-down tackler that isn't terribly fast or terribly instinctive. He reminds me of Melvin Bullitt in that he's a great backup but not a very good starter. Maybe he will turn it on later. I just kind of doubt it. We still need two real starters in the secondary.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-20-2012, 10:05 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Agreed. This is just pre-season, but I think it's pretty clear that our main weaknesses are OL and secondary.

We only have one starting caliber OG and one starting caliber CB on the roster.

Some other things I wanted to mention:

- It's early, but Dwayne Allen has outplayed Fleener by a significant margin. Fleener might run a better 40 time, but Allen looks like a better football player.

- It saddens me to say this, but Austin Collie needs to hang it up. Even if he didn't suffer a concussion yesterday (I really hope he didn't), the simple fact that he is experiencing the symptoms after every hit to the helmet is a VERY bad sign.

- Love the fact that the new coaching staff is recognizing players strengths and weaknesses. They are trying to get the ball to Donald Brown in space as much as possible. Previous staff kept on running him between the tackles all the time.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 AM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looking at the QB's in the AFC south it is interesting. Schaub only has a few years left and cant seem to stay healthy anyways. Gabbert was the worst QB in the NFl last year and Locker doesn't seem to have "it" still. If we keep drafting like we did last year I like the look of the next decade for us lol. Still can't believe at times we are going from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Gabbert has supposedly improved some and he has a few good targets now in Blackmon and Robinson, plus Marcedes Lewis is a good red zone threat if he decides he wants to be. But overall yeah I think the Colts will be dominant again starting in 2013 or 2014. At the very least I expect to contend hard for the division in 2013.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-23-2012, 01:30 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Irsay is stirring things up on Twitter, apparently another trade is imminent.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Mike Wallace - Austin Collie went down and while he is the slot guy I wouldn't be suprised if we go after Wallace.

MJD - We still don't have a sure thing at rb. I wonder if MJD would even help all that much with the run blocking we have.

Who knows?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAChainGang View Post
Mike Wallace - Austin Collie went down and while he is the slot guy I wouldn't be suprised if we go after Wallace.

MJD - We still don't have a sure thing at rb. I wonder if MJD would even help all that much with the run blocking we have.

Who knows?
Can't afford Mo Drew. The Colts are right against the Cap this season. Wallace makes sense as his cap hit this year will be tiny.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:16 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I dont' think MJD is even a possibility. He is older, lots of wear and tear, wants a huge contract, and RBs just aren't big-ticket players anymore.

Mike Wallace is interesting. But at what cost? And why would the Steelers move him now?

I actually kind of expect nothing to happen at this point. I wish Irsay would shut up if talks are still so up in the air.

I've also heard Vontae Davis' name floating around.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-23-2012, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I dont' think MJD is even a possibility. He is older, lots of wear and tear, wants a huge contract, and RBs just aren't big-ticket players anymore.

Mike Wallace is interesting. But at what cost? And why would the Steelers move him now?

I actually kind of expect nothing to happen at this point. I wish Irsay would shut up if talks are still so up in the air.

I've also heard Vontae Davis' name floating around.
The Steelers will move him now knowing he ain't coming back next season. The best they get out of him by keeping him is 2012 production plus a 2014 late 3rd pick. By moving him now they get a higher pick in 2013.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

There are some rumours floating around that the player in question is a Cornerback.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:36 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I hope it's either CB or OL.

Those are the areas I worry about the most.